Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I didn’t realize Chuck won his second Hugo. Good for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
…how?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Freaquency posted:

Correct. No one is reaching for the keys after a fifth of Jack and then stopping saying “oh gee if I kill someone I owe their kid child support”

Well another point is that if you’re already killing the parent, this likely doesn’t help the kid too much as you can’t earn child support money while in prison

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
So the solution here is to punish them... less?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Okay then we add it as a modifier then? Killing a single parent/sole provider? So the poor folks simply go to prison longer?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

Is anyone here saying that? I mean why not just execute them and give all their belongings to the victims? Let’s just execute everyone who wrongs anyone else, for that matter.

Yes, they are. It was heavily inferred by their absolutely disgusting of the suggestion. I was asking what other suggestions might be. It’s ironic you take my statement and throw your own inference on there… then say this

quote:

why not just execute them and give all their belongings to the victims? Let’s just execute everyone who wrongs anyone else, for that matter.

Who said this? Someone on Twitter? Can’t tell what you’re replying to and can only assume this weird hyperbole is directed at some Twitter boogie man because it’s certainly nobody here.

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 5, 2023

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

seiferguy posted:

The solution should be that the government can support a child who is now parentless instead of putting the burden upon someone who has no means to pay it.

I mean, yeah, absolutely. I agree with you in a perfect world that is the response. No question. In that world - You likely have less drunk drivers because we have actual mental health support and don’t live in a society that simply lives for angry punishment. But that’s not reality.

We can’t even discuss it in good faith without folks bending over backwards to make weird creepy hyperbole like the above. There’s a reason folks ignore genuine questions like mine (making the sentencing take into consideration the victim being a single parent / it being a modifier, etc) and simply scream “fix it!” And when you offer genuine attempts at a solution… it gets called racist and classist.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

:hai:

If you just want to go harder on drunk drivers, then increase the penalty for drunk driving across the board, and drunk driving where you kill someone across the board. Fines or annual payments to victims or whatever. That also won't actually deter drunk driving but at least it wouldn't be obviously picking out one particular tragic consequence to punish while ignoring countless others.

For that matter, why focus on drunk drivers? If you kill someone during the commission of any crime, should you get a harsher sentence or a decade or so of support payments if they leave behind a parentless child? What if you negligently kill someone who is the only caretaker of an elderly person, or a severely disabled person? Do people who were dependents of someone and find themselves without support not matter unless they're orphans?

I think one reason nobody is bothering engage seriously with you is because it's a farcical sentencing modification that is transparently pandering to people who will react with a gut feeling of righteousness about punishing criminals who cause a particularly gutwrenching form of tragedy while having no resemblance to the the kinds of sweeping criminal justice reform we'd actually like to see happen. And also won't likely result in much or any money going to orphaned kids.

See, what’s funny is, it sure reads that you’re so eager to say the final paragraph you’re not actually realizing we’re asking the exact same questions for the exact same reasons. Not that you’re wrong to - it’s absolutely an understandable view to have. It feels impossible to get the system anywhere near something that resembles justice but I have to think we can get there.

One view seems to think it’s absolutely impossible to change - other being that maybe we can try to brainstorm change and assume it’s possible.

My question was a genuine one - do you add it as a modifier? I was leading up to the very point you just made with regards to it being elderly, etc. These are all valid questions, I just need to figure out what change makes sense. I thought the child support one did but the counters also made sense so I’m trying to determine… wtf can be done

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 5, 2023

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

:thejoke: That was explicitly why I said that.

Because the attitude toward a thoughtful discussion over whether some manner of criminal justice even logical, effective or humane is always “yeah sure let’s punish them less. :jerkbag:

Basically you inferred something that was absolutely not there because you took that one post as a singular statement and reduced it to some other intent/flippant comment that nobody was making.

Edit
Whoa Amazon laid of 17,000 people? When you remember that’s more folks than most Fortune 500 companies have… it really hammers it home how much trouble Amazon must be in.

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jan 5, 2023

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Bird in a Blender posted:

I think we're seeing a correction after 2020 and 2021 caused a huge rush in stock purchases and hiring. The economy is in such a weird spot right now where there are still more jobs than people, but the big tech firms are doing massive layoffs. Seems like the economy is bad for only one sector right now. I couldn't find any info on what type of jobs these layoffs are affecting, or maybe it's just across the board.

Holy moly. You weren't kidding. I was trying to find out what department or area most of the layoffs were from and saw this in the same article.

quote:

Facebook parent Meta recently announced 11,000 job cuts, the largest in the company’s history.
Twitter also announced widespread job cuts after Elon Musk bought the company for $44 billion.
Salesforce this week said it would cut 10% of its staff.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

The Big Jesus posted:

Obligatory

Also my best friend was also (still kinda is) scared of E.T.

Oh my god I can’t breathe I’m laughing so hard at that tweet

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Feels wrong to relate them to clowns imo (not offensive that was the wrong word choice)

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

Pickle juice chaser after a shot of Jameson is a strangely magical combo, and will increase your sodium levels to match your BAC.

You have never heard of a Pickle back?!

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

Well either I invented it or yes, I have heard of it :v: Certainly not as common a concept in LA spots as Chicago/East Coast bars though.

Had to ask. Pickle-back shots are common enough you can say them out loud, normally, and we’d know what we you mean.

Key West pushes em so they’re a staple down there. Most port towns seem to have their own bar that claims ownership of their origin (Jacksonville, Wilmington, etc) since Pickles were so easy to transport in ships etc

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Joey Freshwater posted:

Member the other day when I was saying my company was looking at me to take over a bigger role, more responsibilities etc?

Lol I got laid off instead. 20% of employees

e: Aw man and I lost my avatar I loved that avatar
wait didn’t you just get an award?

Lmao gently caress corporate. I’m sorry dude.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
drat he also writes a funny show called Solar Opposites

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Man. See what happens when youre never told no?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
It’s that bad eh? Same Vulture writer who absolutely trashed it completely trashed Harley Quinn so I was under the assumption she was just an idiot

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Based on that Twitter thread being the lesser of two evils and pathetically cringe - looks like I’ll be skipping the show

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

swickles posted:

The jokes I have seen make it seem like the show is either experimenting with AI joke writers, or they are the laziest ones they could find.

Also, Fair Sunday!! Lets go look at cows and eat fried everything!

Depending on time I’m down

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
So basically this dude calls his mornings and afternoons separate days? Okay.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Nap 5 minutes a day. Boom productivity

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Another good opportunity to say never be scared ask the professionals you pay

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
On the spot dice spin?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I hear ya. It’s been 72 way too much lately.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I imagine the GOP sent this video around and thoroughly enjoyed feeling good about themselves

https://www.reddit.com/r/TikTokCrin...web2x&context=3

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

T-Square posted:

Covid sucks I’m so booorreeedd

I caught covid in December in nyc and i was cleared to travel less than 4 days later (which i didn’t but lol).

How many more days ya got

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Lady Radia posted:

if you are not playing in a way that ensures your mechs can stay mobile, and/or controlling spawns, and/or moving your units to occupy the squares needed to protect objectives, that's not random lol

Shut up

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Lady Radia posted:

cry harder lmao

Back 2 ur cord

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
This thread seems to love tiny trucks

What Audi could’ve done on a wide scale with a little imagination!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2...urce=linkin.bio

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
That’s not really true based on the Mavericks success!

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

wandler20 posted:

Yeah, seems to come up every 6 months.

I know 4 people who own one and they all love them. 2 of them already ordered new ones with higher trim levels. The truck is an absolute hit.

They're insanely hard to find down in South Florida. Local dealers are tacking on 15k to them. Excited for Ford to absolutely destroy these guys who are jacking up the prices, but the overall numbers are crazy. Ford's already announced they're expanding their line, so its pretty much the opposite of what I quoted.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

The Glumslinger posted:

Lmao, welp somehow I missed 5 letter from my HOA about fines :suicide:

Atleast they dropped the late fees after I called them

What state

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Honestly my Audi SUV is a great tow vehicle for the smaller stuff and I have an F250 for the big boats that are routinely 10k+ lbs.

The new F150s and Silverado 1500s actually tow as much as my older F250 while being a tiny tiny bit smaller (but bigger than that generation F150) in a MUCH more comfortable package. The new F150 Hybrid Platinums are selling for 100k while still being able to tow 10,500. Impressive but whose that for? No dude spending 100k on his hybrid truck is towing a drat thing.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Directly related to this, for those wondering

https://www.flgov.com/2022/03/25/governor-ron-desantis-signs-bill-that-requires-curriculum-transparency/

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

swickles posted:

Well, Hulu has a deal with him too for Solar Opposites...

Yeah, that’s the biggest loss here. That shows way funnier than R+M lately

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Fifty Three posted:

Man of Steel was good. :colbert:

Man of Steel was pretty great when you look back at the poo poo that came after. IMO the best superman overall, the worst clark Kent.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Silly Burrito posted:

Might be nostalgia but I still think Christopher Reeve is unmatched in both Superman and Clark Kent.

As a combo, absolutely. He’s the best blend.

Routh was a wonderful Clark but abysmal superman

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

does tff:ct have suggestions for a decent work laptop backpack?

prefer simple over like a BILLION pockets

if it could double as a good day pack that'd be a bonus

Filson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Intruder posted:

but today me recognizes that some of that humor aged pretty drat poorly

No no no