Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

T-Square posted:

Jesus CHRIST my 48 year old coworker announced to the whole team in a meeting that he’s going on leave to have open heart surgery and getting FIVE bypasses

That many bypasses, you should call him the Milwaukee Zoo. (Regional!)

In related Wisconsin health news, I am also on the dry January bandwagon. My weight was creeping up last year, and the holidays got it to “hey, you swore you’d never get this heavy again.” Looking at the amount of beer and liquor I have, I totally see why my usually drinking habits got a little heavier. I could have two a day for a month just based on what I have in or next to my beer fridge, and that’s without even touching my rare and special occasion stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Probably better for kids to watch Monty Python growing up like I did.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

I'm another awful artist. When I try to draw Superman, people guess it's either a bird or a plane.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

C-Euro posted:

I guess you could be forgiven for not remembering the McDonald's Szechuan sauce craze from a few years back, there's been a lot of news to absorb over the last several years.

There was another tie-in where you could get the sauce if you ordered through the McDonald's app last winter. I remember it was last winter, because it was snowing when I went to get some Egg McMuffin's and overheard someone complaining that the trucks delivering the sauce was delayed, and could he come back and get the sauce later? It would be really unfair if he couldn't.

Yes, I'm in a gentrifying neighborhood, what made you ask?

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

I agree that recruiters are mostly volume shooters, and shouldn't be relied on if you're job-seeking.
Having said that, I just had a recruiter contact me on LinkedIn with a specific job at a known company citing specific job skills I have in my profile. That's seemingly low bar is still difficult for most messages to hit, so if a good one actually found their way to my inbox I could use that contact when I'm actually looking to job hop.

But that's one of a slew of lovely messages I was interested in following up on.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

I want to be the Buzzfeed editor that gets the article "10 ways to dispose of a body if you really need to" slid across their desk

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

I’ve been hopelessly locked into mindlessly optimizing Hades runs for like 6mo.

If you want another version of this itch, Slay the Spire is a card-based rogue like. Overall a slower burn with no real story beats, but if and when you start seeing synergies between cards and relics it becomes an addiction.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

wandler20 posted:

Just played the Dam level on Goldeneye (Xbox) and it's perfect.

How are the XBox controls? I played through the first three levels on Switch in portable mode and with the regular joycons it felt like I was wearing two left gloves trying to play.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

13 is the absolute oldest team age I'd believe an adult could pull that off and not be absolutely immolated to a crisp from the opposing team dragging their rear end to hell. Anyone older is using their time on the bench to look up washed up ballers. "You playing like Jordan on the Wizards." Just intentionally fouling the ringer to make them stand alone while four teenagers ask if she's hoping this game counts to her pension time.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Dango Bango posted:

Just realized the last day of January means my Dry January was successful.

I know a bunch of you posted you were doing it too. How'd you hold up?

I'm glad I did it, because there were only a few times even thought "man, I could go for a beer right now."

3 Badger basketball games in 6 days near the end was some real "arcade Mortal Kombat making Goro harder than Tsung Shang" poo poo though. Didn't need that one but.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Dweeb's newest Substack post:

quote:

The following day, the MBC mailed me a letter announcing it has closed its investigation of me for spreading “medical misinformation” on social media in 2020 and 2021. My advocating for the use of ivermectin as a prophylaxis and treatment for the Chinese Wuhan virus, and against the masking of children is what prompted the investigation. Of course, ivermectin and other medical therapeutics have clearly shown benefit for protection against this virus, whereas the “vaccine” has clearly shown no benefit and only harm. Same for masks.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

seiferguy posted:

I'm working on my wedding registry, and uh... we already have almost everything in our house.

What are some things to add that aren't gonna break the bank?

Upgrade your coffee equipment?
Picture frames for the wedding photos you'll have.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

swickles posted:

Even the most minor and quickest of surgeries generates sooooo much trash. Surgical instruments like forceps, scalpels, etc. are all metal, making them reusable. Surgical gowns can be cleaned and sterilized. But pretty much everything else is one time use, and wrapped in plastic. Just something like cutting out a little lipoma will generate at least one 50 gallon drum of trash, and probably more. IV needles and tubing, syringes, drapes, handle covers for things like lights and cameras, gloves, masks, booties, suction devices, I could go on and on. And like 75% of it is plastic based.

I'll go on for you! You can't just throw away all that waste in the same bin, because a lot of it's medical waste and has to be treated differently. More expensive per bag, as well. Because if your trash company checks the hospital's regular trash and finds medical waste, they may just hold off on a pickup or two while the hospital sorts itself out.

It never takes long for the hospital to train everyone on proper waste removal, of course.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I'm making an apple tarte for the super bowl now. Fun.

I made a double batch of chocolate chip cookies for the Super Bowl, and I made the decision to put them in the trunk of my car so I wouldn’t keep eating them. I’ve regretted that 12 times today.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

I, as a 37 year old computer toucher, bought a house in what historically has been a working class neighborhood of Madison. Since I've moved, two new apartment complexes have opened (one named after the iconic restaurant that used to be there that couldn't find a buyer), a mixed use bakery/coffee shop/brewpub opened in a former industrial lab space, and a new taco place opened with a neon sign to take Instagram selfies in front of. My neighbor and I joke about the neighborhood gentrifying, but also I don't know if it's a joke. Which, watch me stick this landing, is very similar to this:

BlindSite posted:

I mean we're already seeing people throw their finances away on crypto and NFTs and have verifiable proof that people like Bill Clinton took dozens of trips to a place known as pedophile island. poo poo dude, Chris Delia and James Franco have been outed for grooming. We're kinda already there, just replace senility with drunk/high/think they're invincible.

It's tough to know when you're going through a particular point in time because it's incredibly difficult to have the correct perspective instead of day to day trudging. So I understand GD wondering when something that's happening is going to happen. Without a researched article or particularly enlighting conversation, it's really difficult to change your perspective and frame of reference to the correct view to see what's happening.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Rectal Placenta posted:

So somehow my house is one of the only ones in my neighborhood with power right now, which is pretty rad. And the power is out at work too, so my morning is looking up!

Impromptu neighborhood brunch at your place!

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

jaadee posted:

Do I just need to accept that the next house is going to be incredibly painful on our finances regardless of my saving habits over the next few years, and enjoy things while life is good?

What helped me get over my own “I need to save any penny because I could be on another long unemployment stint” mental block is creating a 6 month buffer of savings, sticking it in a bank account called “In Case Of Emergency”, and treating it like such. Knowing I have that reserve to protect me, and that I’ve ran the numbers that it’ll cover my mortgage & bills for a considerable amount of time removed a lot of needless worrying about “what if” and turned it into a more straightforward “Do I want to spend this money to do this thing?”

Now, on the one hand I’m spending most of May in Italy, which because of this line of thinking, I’m able to pick hotels and activities based more on “rule of cool” than “sort: cost low to high.” But! I also used this thinking to see every single Wisconsin football game in 2018. Home, away, and Pinstripe Bowl.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

Antibiotics are 97% as efficacious as surgery as long as it hasn’t ruptured.

BUT SURGEONS GONNA SURGE

This is why I try not to think about fee for service too much.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

I have a kickass diner in my neighborhood and someday I'll do the power move of black coffee and meatloaf as my breakfast order.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Pain of Mind posted:

My roommate flunked out because he could not stop playing Battlefield 1942. Literally 20 hours a day. He was from Palos Verdes Estates so I guess he was not actually wasting his own money.

I was requested by everyone else on my freshman dorm floor to lock up my video games during finals. We played The New Tetris, Mario Kart, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark an insane amount.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Blowjob Overtime posted:

My favorite CEO story was at the med device company I was at during Covid. When they started doing vaccines and opening things up again, his recurring company-wide email was about how great it was for things to be normal again (this was still very early in opening things up), and how he couldn't believe it had been over a year since he'd been to Ireland (we had plants there). Meanwhile my wife was losing years of her life to the stress of working in the ER, and I was leaving the house about once every two weeks for groceries.

The C-level above my department said in summer 2020 we'd get through this because of American exceptionalism.

He went to West Point and we work very closely with health care organizations.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Being conscious of what I ate is probably the easiest way to summarize how I lost like 80-90 pounds. A little mental check on having more pizza or putting the bag of snacks next to you on the couch helps to curb eating and destroy the mental block of "I always eat perfectly and I can't lose weight so it's hopeless."

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

From what I remember about Wicked’s story, it’s a fun take on the other side of The Wizard of Oz. Like, you’re capping the level of seriousness when the premise is “what if the beloved movie’s villain, literally named The Wicked Witch, is a good person?”

But most of my memory from seeing it from almost three years ago to the day is pounding double IPA’s while thinking about Tom Hanks and Rudy Gobert coming down with some new disease.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

General Dog posted:

Yeah I saw Waitress, which isn't even that good, on Broadway a few years back and was just kind of blown away by the overall experience. It's like the NBA of singing.

I totally agree on both points. When I saw Waitress, after Ogie asked Dawn out, Ogie does a standing front flip as he’s leaving the set, already behind the scenery in such a way only my side of the theater could even possibly see him. He was just showing off!

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Unscheduled reminder that shakshuka is a fantastic meal. I just had a pan with 3 eggs and my belly is happy.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

SundayMoney posted:

Bird I really appreciate you taking the time to answer this!

Bird in a Blender posted:

We have a lot of practice in the Chicago LAN thread.
Last time I went to Chicago, we grabbed a drink at the Signature Lounge on Michigan. I thought the price of a drink was worth the views, but probably wouldn't stick around for dinner.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.theanthonykitchen.com/co-cornbread-recipe/ is my all-time favorite internet recipe. Two short intro paragraphs, then a bunch of thoughts about actually making the recipe. Wonder why there's flour in addition to cornmeal? Want to know about different baking pans? That's replacing SEO family history crap. Just want the recipe? There's a "Jump to recipe" button! And the kicker is if you hit "print" it has a way to scale the ingredients by serving count.

It's a good cornbread recip, but I think I make it mostly because the recipe website rules.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Jackbox Party Pack 10's going to have a Tee KO sequel!

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Been hearin' some things

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Abugadu posted:

*holds opposing team to 56*

*scores 41 in the first half*

*loses*

It's performance art. You might as well get mad at a mime for not asking what's updog.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Braksgirl posted:

Hey quick question, do your employers make you keep a balance of 40 hours of leave banked before they approve any leave beyond that except for emergencies? My work just told us today that’s going to be the policy after May 1. SB says it’s pretty common but I’ve never heard of holding your earned leave hostage before.

Nope, this is unusual. You have vacation but can’t use it? That’s not really vacation then. Also, I think they’d be required to have cash on hand to pay out vacation balances, so they’re required to hold more money because of this policy. I think.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

I literally asked for a quote and they flaked!

They never got ba-a-a-a-a-a-a-ack to you yet?

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Even my completely Yankee rear end knows that one

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Pron on VHS posted:

Anyone here downgraded back to a dumb phone?

One of the first apps I install is Awful.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

The "after 6 beers" picture should just be crumbs.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

This fuckin rules

It’s so great.

Montgomery Biscuits have the best mascot in baseball

I love MiLB and all their dumb mascots.

About 15 years ago I bought 6 Biscuits hats and my friends and I wore em to the bar. Highly recommend picking an MiLB team and doing that at least once.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

I want a time waster/mindless game, preferably for Switch. Which is better, Stardew Valley or Animal Crossing? They both seem relatively the same - or is there a better one?

Haven't played either on Switch, but Stardew Valley seems like a "just one more day" kind of gameplay loop, while Animal Crossing is a zen garden / bonsai tree where you cultivate it a little bit each day.

Was addicted to Harvest Moon 64 and AC on GameCube back in the day though. Might pick one up as a summer chill while I catch up on TV and outdoor beers.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

I got 3 bags of yard waste out on the curb for the first pickup of the year and I feel pretty drat good about it.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Last year when I was in DC I did the Spy Museum, and I’d say it’s worth checking out as a not-so-serious museum compared to the Smithsonian’s. Having a couple beers with lunch and then going to the Spy Museum seems like the best way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

Do I address it? Let it go? My first reaction was to message her and tell her I could see it. But now I feel like the better “move” is to just delete/block her and not say anything and just go on about my life.

Good living is the best revenge. If she still follows you go full poster with sappy romantic pics and dope poo poo you're doing.

If I wasn't phone posting I'd post an example of a cool selfie I took with the statue of Dionysus in the Vatican Museum because I am living it up in Italy. And yes I went to La Enzo.