Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

Man, I've been enjoying my time with Dave the Diver but I'm not a fan of the way someone on the dev team went "What if we occasionally had an infuriatingly difficult QTE button-mashing thing?", and the other devs went "That's a terrible idea. We should have all the different infuriating QTE button-mashing things, and you should have to do them constantly."

Anyway, gently caress the harpoons, and gently caress the customers- I hope they like low-quality fish that've been artisanally beaten to death with a baseball bat, because that's what they're getting.

Yeah the QTEs are what takes Dave from a 10 to a 9 for me. Upgrade the Traq enough and you can skip en at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Forspoken is like the definition of a $20 game. It's not the worst poo poo every but it also isn't particularly great, but it could be at least worth a shot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fun fact:

The Lesbian robots are actually the right and left sides of the protagonist's wife's brain made into sex slaves for the main bad guy.

Did I say fun fact? I meant 'gently caress that game'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The gameplay just felt like less developed Bioshock. Like I recall the lightning power doesn't work on water because mumble mumble polymer (and most certainly not because interactions are hard to program ). It isn't the worst game ever but it really should be at least as developed as a 15 year old game it is shamelessly apeing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just replace it with a timing minigame. Same concept, less annoying

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fuligin posted:

...that hair style was overwhelmingly prevalent among young women and state media in the constituent republics of the USSR during the first half of the 20th century. OP is in fact being a loving nut

I'm not comfortable enough with the history to say if they are right or wrong but "this is a common style" doesn't actually prevent certain styles from becoming associated with specific people. Shirley Temple, Veronica Lake, Farah Fawcett, etc. At its worse you get something like the Hitler Stache which is irrevocably tied to a specific individual despite it not being uncommon beforehand.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't know, what's a skaven with you?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Odyssey lets you turn off Fall Damage so it's better by default

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The sequences with the offputting driver in Road 96 are genuinely some of the most uncomfortable and freaked out I have ever been in a game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

good uncomfortable and freaked out, or bad uncomfortable and freaked out

Mostly the former but a bit of the latter. I can't even entirely explain why it just really got under my skin.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FutureCop posted:

Just recently beat Deadlink (at least on the default difficulty) and had a blast! Didn't even need to put that many runs into it to get that far, most likely because Doom Eternal is one of my favorite games and this might as well be Doom Eternal: Roguelite edition, so a lot of that skill transferred over, especially since I beat it as the soldier shell which may as well be the doom marine. Definitely consider grabbing it if you love Doom Eternal and other fast-paced boomer shooters! If you're like me, you might already have it on your account from a past bundle when it was in its early access state.

Only complaints I have at the moment is that:

1) It does have metaprogression which I know can be a sticking point for some people, especially since, while it is mostly for widening the room completion reward pool and getting new character classes, there are also some slight permanent statistical upgrades (more damage, more armor, more credits, etc) that can make it feel unfair to be limited on your first runs. It didn't feel that bad to me, but hey, it can be a preference thing, and its true that usually I prefer it not be there. They also did update it from early access to give you some upgrades right from the start to give a more fair experience: for example, they used to lock away max ammo behind meta, but now it's part of your starter kit.

2) The final boss had not only a terrible voice actor that sounded like they just got someone's family member to do it for free, but was constantly spouting memes like "here I am again, like your own reflection in a hall of mirrors" and "nanomachines, son" and so on and so forth. I dunno, just felt incredibly awkward. I guess you could argue it's intentional to make fun of people in power as being out-of-touch? I suppose it did make me really want to kill them.

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256960361/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1690472847

I mean to be fair if you made the richest rear end in a top hat in the world the final boss of reality today they would in fact have a terrible voice and spout memes nonstop.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordja posted:

Jesus like half a million people are playing Baldur's Gate 3 right now.

This is going to usher in the new era of animal loving advertisements. Like how Dark Souls made everyone use bonfires

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I predict within a year people will think Lies of P and Steelrising were the same game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zapf Dingbat posted:

My wife and I are doing co-op and she's kind of disappointed over how the African ethnic faces for the women seem to all be on the dwarves and halflings. I consider this a patch priority.

It's funny, a friend of mine had a similar complaint but said they were only on Tieflings which annoyed her because she didn't want horns.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

There's No Horns option for Tieflings.

Doesn't that leave you with nubs?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

if he wasn't so unbearably arrogant then blow could have had a decent reputation as one of the vanguards of modern indie games (iirc Braid was a flagship title for xbox live)

Say what you want about him, he didn't end up like Phil Fish.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Weedle posted:

did phil fish cape for more white supremacists than blow did?

It was the dude's brand to be not-so-subtly racist. He was one of the front-and-center faces for the talks about how inferior Japanese games couldn't possibly match up to Western works of genius.

To his credit he appears to have walked that back somewhat and seems to have chilled out but he exploded pretty hard for a while there. He's kind of the poster boy for "mild success gets right up his own rear end" and unfortunately for him the part where he was a weird racist and told people to kill themselves is going to be remembered a lot more than the part where he chilled out.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 11, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The issue with Half-Life 3 is that it basically can't succeed. Even if you made an absolutely excellent HL3 it's not going to be genre-defining and any choice they make with regards to game stuff is going to be criticized.

Like poo poo "does Gordon Freeman talk" is a great example of a no-win situation because either way it's going to earn criticism.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

People say this sort of thing a lot, but I think it's a mistake to equate "Will have at least some critics no matter what" with "Cannot succeed". There have been plenty of other revivals of dormant series that were successful by every metric, like Doom 2016 or Metroid Dread, and I don't think there's any reason to believe it would be impossible to make a Half Life 3 that's a financial and critical success, even if it's not the industry changer 2 was.

I would say the harder part there is figuring out how to do a 2016/Dread style of Half-Life 2. Both of those games worked extremely hard to capture the feel of the original games while also modernizing things because Doom and Metroid have such incredibly defined identities that you can focus on Rip or Tear or whatever.

Half-Life and Half-Life 2 run into the problem that what they did particularly well (a more story/narrative focused game, heavy focus on environmental storytelling, more involved AI, physics engine stuff) is all relatively commonplace now. Without that most of Half-Life's identity is baked into the narrative and uh, I don't think it's controversial to say nobody has any real idea what is up with HL's actual narrative at Valve.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ErrEff posted:

Dying Light 2 has a premium currency now? Cool. Best value!

https://pilgrimoutpost.techlandgg.com/news/dl-points

DL1 and DL2 really are the Gallant and Goofus of video games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kazil posted:

love to pay real money in a mediocre first person game for skins that I can't see

It has co-op/multiplayer so I guess it is for that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

Cloaca Mischief 2 is way better

they added clo-op

That sounds like some sort of My Little Pony thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I hate that I have to ask this but how horny is Void Stranger because looking at the screenshots it looks pretty drat horny.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mystes posted:

How horny can a puzzle game be?

Well, here is the first screenshot I saw when looking up the game:
https://i.imgur.com/BPwl1Ms.mp4

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

Void Stranger is 99% un-horny, that's just a dumb little hidden gag and also the setup for another hidden punchline later on

Okay, as long as it isn't like a dominating thing about it. Unfortunately the internet is predisposed to posting all the extremely giant tits in the game so it can be difficult to grasp if they are a small part or a large part.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pigbuster posted:

The real impact of the Unity changes is that it is now morally superior to buy games you never install

I am just waiting for someone to realize they can create an automated thing to constantly uninstall and reinstall a game over and over to force developers over the 200,000 mark no matter what.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is now morally unethical to uninstall games. You must buy more storage and just keep everything installed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jesus the people working at Valve are old.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you pirate the game would that count towards installs?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I saw someone also point out that this basically wrecks the ability for something like Vampire Survivors to come into existence.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, that one genuinely got me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GhostDog posted:

So, if Unity goes through with this, that means every game that sold a lot but isn't selling any more is a financial liability. Resurgence of your game in public discourse leading to a lot of reinstalls? Suddenly a huge bill comes in. Which raises the question: Can devs pull their game from Steam&Co. completely, not only for sale but also from access/reinstall?

A major issue there I think is that Steam allowing that would gently caress their entire sales concept. Even if people are aware that they are technically 'buying a license' there is a difference between that and "Cult of the Lamb is now unavailable even if you bought it beforehand." They basically can't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I mean, Unity has hosed up bigly but death threats are never good. Especially from an internal employee???

And who the hell is the second guy?

Definitely grabbing that Humble Bundle though - I've got a week off from work coming up soon, I know what I'll be doing :toot:

It coming from an employee means it is likely one of those 'trying to get pity' threats. It happens somewhat often as an excuse to try to blunt narratives

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

yes every death threat to a company you don't like is really just a false flag trick by one of those wily CEOs :rolleye:

It literally came from an employee of the company. This has happened before.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mycot posted:

Regardless it is lovely that this forum and elsewhere can't help but do the "well the company didn't act perfectly but this is unreasonable" thing when this is probably one of the most universally agreed to be bad decisions ever.

Death threats over video games are always unreasonable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZearothK posted:

Pentiment is a really special game, but there's something structural I dislike about it that I can't talk about without spoilers.

I have it but put off playing it because I was super excited for it and then saw this spoiler (I'm pretty sure it is the one you're talking about) and even if I know it is good knowing the spoiler it's super disappointing that it was spoiled for me and I don't get the full effect of the idea. I really love the idea but it's one of those 'knowing it means it loses impact' kind of things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Get used to the fact that sex is mainstream now what with Balder's Gate 3 legitimizing it. The days of sex mods for Skyrim being a laugh is way behind us, post bear twink sex.

Eh, give it time and I'm sure the same group trying to deny gay people exist in books will set their sights on games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

You can see my face holes in some extremely specific shots and it's great lol

That owns.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Why do any of that where there's free labor modders available and the average joe will still pay 70$ for the new Bethesda game no matter how much it sucks?

I mean to be fair a significant number of people paid Gamepass for Starfield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macichne Leainig posted:

In this essay I will explore how Doom (2016) is actually the quintessential MMORPG

It's massive. Game is fuckin' huge. It has huge guts. Rip and tear.
Multiplayer? You better believe it. A berserker packing man and a half is all the multiplayer you need.
Online? Might makes light, and I feel mighty.
Rocket Propelled Grenade? You better fuckin' believe it.