Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I bought Elden Ring but haven't loaded it up yet (finishing up some other games first, since I heard it's long). Is the story connected to the other Dark Souls?

Not at all. Wholly separate game in it's own universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

ShadowMar posted:

i finally started sekiro and its good as hell and also destroying my rear end

I once heard someone say about Sekiro's combat, "Treat it like a rhythm game" and it made things much easier for me.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Does GMG have the cheapest price for Elden Ring right now?

For the most part, yes. Fanatical has it for a few cents cheaper, but it's more or less the same ($37.37USD GMG vs $37.19USD Fanatical), especially if GMG tossed you a coupon for Christmas- check your email.

You can check CheapShark to see which places are selling a game for what price.

https://www.cheapshark.com/search#q:ELDEN%20RING

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Bought one of those mystery key bundles from fanatical.

Still Life - W2RLN-GB75X-L53Y? ?=9
Pixel Heroes: Byte & Magic - 0NANW-QXI3I-3W39? ?=H
DOOM (1993) - 0N428-56B9A-BIZR? ?=J
MegaRace 1 - Y0WDY-EQHWZ-B83D? ?=X
Blacksad: Under the Skin - 0WJA3-8XRJF-YLLV? ?=Q
BARRIER X - 44DWI-LYDP0-53QM? ?=L
Pizza Connection 2 - G3ICM-BY4XR-KA20? ?=8
The Smurfs - Mission Vileaf - 2M4WB-WDR60-H3KH? ?=H

Enjoy.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

HopperUK posted:

You can play as Skaven and build secret nukes underneath the cities of your enemies and then let them off at the most hilarious time

Case in point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB5qHSlTENk

I loving love Skaven.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The Steam store really wants me to buy this game.

What game? :confused:

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Weedle posted:

i am seeing three ads stacked top to bottom for wwe 2k23

Weird. I can't see it. :shrug:

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Ciaphas posted:

i'm in act2 now but I think I may restart the game on Gravewalker (edit: or maybe Brutal?) instead of Nemesis. I'm doing too well and that isn't making for any fun stories like this so far

Recommendation, if you're thinking on bumping it up to Gravewalker, just do Brutal difficulty instead. Gravewalker greatly increases the enemy health and damage, but leaves yours the same, making the game very tedious.

If you up it to Brutal, the enemies are buffed like in Gravewalker, but your damage is increased comparably, making fights difficult, but not tedious. I really enjoy playing at that difficulty as you really need to take advantage of your allies strengths, and exploit your enemies' weaknesses. It really feels like you're plotting against every oruk that you need to take down, since they'll have many strengths and very few weaknesses (with only one if any mortal weakness). You'll still die in two hits, so you'll experience the nemesis system in all it's glory, but you'll feel badass when you form a plan to take down a bastard that had been hounding you, and it just works.

E: as an aside, you don't have to restart the game (unless you want to) - you can change the difficulty at any time in the options menu.

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 20, 2023

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Would Brutal be an okay difficulty to play the first time through for someone who finished Shadow of Mordor? (I can't recall the difficulty.)

Scalding Coffee posted:

You can change difficulty on the fly.

^^ this, really. I'd say read the descriptions and pick the one that sounds like would gel with you best, and adjust easier or harder if you're not happy with the current setting.

Having experience with the first game will definitely help you with the harder difficulties.

I found when playing on Normal difficulty, I didn't really have to pay attention to the strengths and weaknesses of who I was targeting, and fighting an unidentified boss wasn't a big deal. Never tried the Nemesis difficulty, so I can't comment on how that is compared to Normal or Brutal.

Brutal difficulty is a very lethal difficulty for both you and the enemy. You can take down bosses in general melee relatively quickly, but you only take two hits before you're downed, and if you complete the second wind thingy, you will be downed again in one more hit from any uruk, from leader to slave. It does lead to some fun personal stories, though, since if you're killed by a slave, they will be absolutely dumbfounded that they killed you. Alternatively, I've had instances where I've escaped being downed and ran away only to be ambushed by another boss, knocked down, and then hit when I tried to get up and roll away. The Uruk looked at me close to my face and went, "Nah, not like this. That was pathetic." He then threw me down and walked away granting me "Humiliation" defeat. But you will die a lot, which is great for seeing the Nemesis System's full potential.

You'll definitely want to pay attention to what skills are available to you and switch out the sub skills as needed to fit what you're doing. It really is a difficulty that rewards using all the tools at your disposal, and encouraged me to do things I never did in SoM, such as walking around with a body guard. I also found myself sending my allies on missions constantly, especially if I was looking to kill or recruit a boss.

Be aware, though, that you don't get the ability to control Uruks until the second act, your options for personal protection get limited. Don't be afraid of dropping the difficulty if needed to get through some of the story beats. Sometimes you just get a bad roll. During one of the missions at the end of act one, where you have to fight through a gate, a boss spawned that I needed to defeat as a mission objective, and there was a drake flying around. This is all scripted for the mission. What made it pretty much unwinnable for me is that the boss was a shield bearer, had the rage healing passive, with extra health, and a "death defying" strength. And because it was a story mission, it just kept on restarting me there, so I couldn't get better gear, or otherwise better prepare. So I just lowered the difficulty to easy (I'm not ashamed, I just wanted to be done with that mission), finished it, and put it right back to Brutal.

tl;dr: Personally, I would recommend anyone try Brutal if they enjoyed SoM and want a challenge that will require them to use all the tools at their disposal, and to adjust the difficulty if needed. Stay away from Gravewalker, though. That poo poo is just tedious.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

kater posted:

Do you not lose everything when the run ends? I thought that’s what the thing said. Is it just whatever you brought with you, and poo poo on the walls is safe? That’s cool I guess. Felt directionless not knowing that.

And I mean I normally play save less and am used to everything being a mess, which is why I bristled so much when it’s like showing that off.

Yeah, the game doesn't really properly explain what you keep and what you lose.

Everything kept in the safehouse is safe.

If you get killed during a mission, everything you brought with you is lost. Guns, items, everything. You also lose half the money you were carrying. If you look at the little table in front of the hospital bed you awake from, you can get back some of your Hitcoins.

If you succeed your mission, whatever you are carrying in your inventory that has a rarity attached to it is brought back to the safe house. Things with rarity are all guns, some items from the crates dotted around the level, and items you bought from the dealer in the level. Items without a rarity are stuff like the wrenches and crowbar that is laying about the level. Non-rarity items are not taken back to the safe house even if you complete a level.

:siren: Important note: :siren: If you are carrying a weapon in a briefcase, as in holding it in your hand, and you exit a mission, you will not keep the item in the briefcase. I bought a Rare tier Covert Raptor (:v:) submachine gun from a dealer in a level to add it to my wall, but kept it in the case so I could walk around. When I left the mission after succeeding, it didn't get kept, so be aware to physically pick up any rarity weapon from the briefcase if you want to keep it.

Special considerations on whether a thing is kept or not
In your safe house, before you depart on your mission, you can open a crate and choose one of 3 items. These are "Freelancer tools" and you can see what you've collected of these in the two briefcases on the desk in front of the monitors (to the left of the mission selection). These behave a little differently (on normal difficulty, at least. Dunno about hardcore).

If you take any of these, and die in a mission, you lose them. If you succeed and bring them back, you keep them. However, if you fail a campaign (the sub sections of the larger span of missions), then you lose all freelance items you gathered during that campaign. So if you complete the first campaign (the two sub missions, and then the one where you have to identify and kill the syndicate leader), whatever freelance items you have banked are safe. If you pick up a bunch more during the next mission, but then fail the campaign (that is, you hear Diana say that the syndicate has gone into hiding), it reverts to only what you had when you completed the last campaign. Not sure if previously safe items that are lost in a level are replaced, however.

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 21, 2023

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Estel posted:

That must have been a bug, you always keep whatever you carry with you when you exit a level.

Something that can happen, and it has happened to me more times than i want to admit, is carrying something in a briefcase and buying something that also goes in the briefcase, in that case you drop one of the briefcases and you won't notice unless you see it.

Also equipping something that makes you drop the suitcase and not notice until you exit the level.

Not sure. I know I activated the exit while carrying it, because I remember being shocked that 47 was no longer carrying it during the cutscene of him walking away. It wasn't just a graphical/cutscene thing either since the gun wasn't on the wall.

I also didn't put the briefcase down at any time, since I bought it as one of the last things I did in the mission.

The only thing I can think of that could be the culprit is that I didn't ever open the briefcase once I bought the weapon from the dealer. I just bought it and walked out. So maybe I need to take it out at least once for it to "exists"? I honestly don't know.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

explosivo posted:

it's kind of a chore knocking orcs down one by one and trying to finish them on the ground before the next orc's hit lands, even with the upgrade that makes it quicker.
A few things that may make combat flow better:

There is a skill that will let you automatically knock down uruks on a parry. There's another skill that will auto-kill (non-boss) uruks on a critical parry. The first can help reduce the number of enemies coming after you at one time, and the other quickly and easily gets rid of them for daring to step up.

If you haven't bought it already, there should be an "Execute" skill that will let you instantly kill an orc if your combo meter fills. There's also a subskill that will let you chain executions at the cost of some focus (the slow down aiming juice).

Additionally, and my preference, is another skill for "Combat Branding" that will let you use the full combo meter to brand an orc instead, refilling some of your health, and gaining an ally to distract some of the other uruks. This one also has a "chain" subskill so you can snag 2 or 3 at a time, if you have enough focus.

Lastly, there's another skill that will turn your combo meter back to how it was in the Batman games in that you can Execute at 8x (can be 5x with another skill upgrade), but lose it all if you take a hit or are out of combat for a bit. Without that skill, you build a meter up that will eventually let you do the executions and combat brands, but the meter will persist between fights. Whether to go with either option is pure preference, but I like the Batman style in that I feel I get the ability to execute more often this way, and I can predict when I will get it more easily.

To supplement the combo thingy, there is another skill (or is it a subskill?) that will let you earn 2x combo meter if you critical hit, letting you get your combat skills much sooner.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

HopperUK posted:

Who's the best Shadows orc? I like the one who rhymes all the time. And the one who's creepily in love with you. It's just so unexpected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vptzBEhZNyA

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Spaseman posted:

Can someone who doesn't own Shadow of War tell me what the definitive edition costs? I bought the base game without thinking and now I see that the definitive edition costs only a dollar more but I'm not sure if thats because I already bought the base game or if I screwed up and need to do a refund.

I see it for 8.99 USD on the website while not logged in.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/356190/Middleearth_Shadow_of_War/

e:fb

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

King Vidiot posted:

I'm stuck at work all day :(

The real survival horror. same :smith::hf::smith:

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

zoux posted:

Do the Jock Games (Madden, FIFA, 2K, CoD) make tons of GaaS money or something, what's driving this

FIFA makes a poo poo ton on their trading card Dream Team thingy.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Sab669 posted:

I don't know why anyone hasn't attempted something like D:OS's elemental interactions in an ARPG. Let me shoot oil slicks to ignite or whatever. Would be really interesting in coop play.

If you want elemental interactions in an ARPG, you should check out Magicka. The magic system is based on elemental interaction (and chaos).

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

ultrafilter posted:

There is no automatic way. You can sort by last played date, though, so if you launch each game immediately after you buy it, that'll work. I just use collections to group games by when I purchased them, and it's fine if not quite as automatic as I'd like.

Last played also kinda works for games you recently bought, too. since it will sort them under the appropriate month/date header in your library, but doesn't give you a "Last Played on" on the game status page in your library.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Sloppy posted:

My biggest gripe was Deacon being such a whiny middle-school baby.

While you're not wrong, it is kind of justified when you realize that Deacon has survivor's guilt and a death wish.

(MAJOR SPOILERS for the plot)

He blames himself for the death of his girlfriend (wife? It's been a while since I played) when she went off in the helicopter without him because he was injured. When the camp where the helicopter was believed to have landed is overrun with zombies, and Deacon blames himself for her death because he feels he should've been there to protect her. Instead he had to stay behind because he was injured. He wants to die, but can't bring himself to suicide since there are others who still depend on him and who he considers family.

That's why he's always going off against the hoard alone and going into extremely dangerous places. Either he helps other survivors since he feels he needs to as a survivor himself, or he gets killed by the hoard. It's win-win in his eyes.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Akratic Method posted:

I have absolutely no idea what this means.

"Fridging" is when a female character in a story is hurt, trapped, or killed in order to be a catalyst for the plot, or to motivate the (male) protagonist into action.

From here: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StuffedIntoTheFridge

"Narm" is a point in a story that is supposed to be very serious, but due to bad writing, comes across as overly dramatic and sappy, causing it to lose all impact and even be seen as humorous.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Narm

quote:

It is named for a famous scene in the last season of Six Feet Under. In it, main character Nate Fisher briefly grabs his right arm and complains that it's numb. He then suffers a brain hemorrhage while repeating the words "numb arm". However, it quickly degenerates into "Narm! Narm!" before he comically rolls up his eyes, snorts loudly, and then drops to the floor. Even though the scene was intended to be dramatic, fans and critics overwhelmingly found it to be funny.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Tangentially related, but I feel like every fanatical bundle is full of games I've never heard of, despite reading the steam thread daily for... Years. The only game I recognise from that bundle is TACOMA, which came out in 2017.

I don't know if that speaks to the overabundance of indie games, a decline in the quality of bundles, or that we're all collectively out of touch.

I'd say it's a good dose of #1 combined with bundles generally being a way for companies to move inventory that hasn't sold.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

HopperUK posted:

I was happy to see the return of the cool bird.

Is that what the song was about?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Cantide posted:

Maybe Age verification is needed to buy 18+ games. AFAIK steam to this day doesn't have Age Verfications systems in place (at least in Germany) so publishers will be unable to receive money for product which == bad

From what I can see, Steam has the bare minimum in age verification -- a window asking you to enter your age with no checks in place.

I get this window occasionally even while logged in and after checking the box in my preferences to "Always show mature content"

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

pentyne posted:

What about the X series? X4 got savaged but people always say X3 Albion Prelude is the best of its type.

X4 is apparently pretty good now. They had a major update about a year or so ago that seemed to turn public sentiment around.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

John Murdoch posted:

I just wish there was a solution to the problem. I picked up Filcher, which is an indie noir Thief throwback only to realize part way through the first level that there was a coil whine-esque screaming coming from my PC and the room was heating up. Because this little tiny Unity stealth game that uses 2D sprites for enemies was cooking my GPU for no adequately explained reason.

Turning on v-sync made the fan whining diminish slightly, but it was still unhappy about it.

Fun fact about the Unity engine, it doesn't cap a games framerate automatically for the developer. So if they don't implement an upper limit, your GPU will render as many frames as it can, bringing it to 100% load. That's why you enabling vsync helped a bit, since it effectively throttled the GPU to only rendering 60 frames or whatever. The fan was still going hard probably because of the heat up from earlier.

It's been a common thing a lot of people have been complaining about from Unity games in forever. Even going into a pause menu can cook your GPU, since your GPU would just fly and try to crank out as many frames as possible.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Brightman posted:

:words: about Shadows of Doubt

The game sounded neat to me initially, but this post and similar ones describing what the game has led them to do has sold me.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Owl Inspector posted:

Metroidvania Afterimage is out now, had an eye on this one for a bit so I hope it's good. Reviews are currently 71% positive.

I think the artwork looks great on the surface and vibes are one of the most important parts of a metroidvania so it's on the right track & I hope the world design can match it. post impressions if anyone tries it.

Reviews are down to 69% now, giving it a "Mixed" rating. Decided to check out some of the negative reviews to see why some people are panning it, and the major complaint seems to be that fast travel is tied to a consumable that you can only (e:)buy find?

There was also this gem complaining that the map had too much unguided exploration.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/M0UTH/recommended/1701520/ posted:

Stay away from this game. Horrible pacing, only able to quick travel with potions that are rare. A metroidvania map that 4x bigger than Sotn, good luck. Good luck with no hints, guides or anything telling you where to go.

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 26, 2023

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That is a little weird. I wonder what the intended mechanic with that is.

Sorry, just realized mistyped in my post (it's been corrected). You can only find the fast travel consumable. (I was going back and forth between "find" and "can't even buy" and ended up with something completely wrong)

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

ninjoatse.cx posted:

...have you tried playing some of the larger metroidvanias without a guide? Or are you marathoning them in 12 hour sprints?

Not remembering the path to the green cumbled wall you saw 4 days ago is pretty common.

Can't speak for anyone else, and not saying that what you're describing isn't an issue for people, but I've always just checked the map when I wasn't sure where to go and tried to find doors I hadn't gone through. But I've got terrible memory for details anyway, so I often forget that the key item I picked up would help me get past a notable landmark.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Jordan7hm posted:

Random question. I don’t know if I’m tired or what, but I’m playing a demo for Islands of the Caliph and there are only keyboard shortcuts right now, no mouse. They use wasd and letter keys for most actions. But I cannot for the life of me figure out what keys “cul” and “cur” refer to.

According to google, you need to press on either your dog or your rear end.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Hwurmp posted:

if your keyboard is a bad piece of poo poo like mine, the function keys default to AV playback controls and there's an Fn key you have to hold for actual useful things

Fn key, more like effin key lmao

I've always hated that Laptops tend to default to this functionality. Thankfully, you can change it in the BIOS to have your F keys work as F keys, and have the Fn button activate the extra stuff.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Brocktoon posted:

Where the gently caress is Twin Snakes?!

We probably won't ever see a re-release of Twin Snakes because it's in licensing hell. Silicon Knights made Twin Snakes, and since they went bankrupt, it's kind of up in the air about who owns the rights to that game specifically. Nintendo, Konami, Silicon Knights?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

repiv posted:

how did the psycho mantis fight work on PC where there isn't a clear way to change your controller number?

do you just have to fall back on the alternate solution to the fight that the game doesn't tell you until you've flailed around for a while?

Pretty much. After a couple calls of Campbell telling you to plug your controller into port two, he'll finally be like "Oh, you must not be able to switch ports. Well, here's the alternate way to fight him."

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Crossposting from the funny pictures thread.

Bought Six Days in Fallujah for a friend of mine today, during the maintenance. And while the store was still up, it was inconsistent. I was able to finally buy it and gift it to him, but he received the following errors when he tried to accept the game on steam.

:psyduck:

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Azran posted:

That reminds me that I'm still waiting for Demon's Souls to hit Steam :argh:

It's coming right after Bloodborne's PC release.

:negative:

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
I've only got 90 mins in Starfield so far, and have only gotten to the point where I deliver the artifact (very light spoilers, the instigating event for the game)

And it's seemed to run fine for me so far, with it on an SSD and with a 4070.

I haven't really seen any of the complaints others have been taking about, but overall the game seems... fine.

I'm still real really in the game, but I don't really feel attached to anything. Not really meant as panning the game since I just started, but was definitely my first impression of the game.

The space flight seems awkward, and sluggish, though I'm used to playing Elite Dangerous, so make of that what you will.

My biggest complaint seems to be there are way too many clicks to do anything. To go to another star, hit Tab to open the menu, go to starmap, hit escape to go from planet view to system view, then escape again to go to Galaxy view, click your star, then hold X to set the course, then hold X one more time to confirm.

I totally see the skeleton of the fallout games here, though. I even picked up a magazine poster that gave me a permanent 5% fall damage reduction. I like the revamped lock picking some it's finally something different from what we've seen in Skyrim and fallout.

I like how the perks are handled in that before you can level one to the next tier, you need to finish a challenge related to the perk, such as 5 sneak attacks before you can level the stealth perk from 1 to 2.

I am looking forward to continuing tonight, though, with probably one of the first characters I am excited to play as in a Bethsoft game.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

lunar detritus posted:

A detail I missed for the longest time is that you can travel without going to the menu. If you can see the star (or mission marker) you can press A and then X. Then it'll launch into a hyperspeed cutscene right there from the ship.

Thank you! I knew I was missing something. Made exploring around solar systems much, much better.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

teethgrinder posted:

I don't remember why got onto my wishlist, but it sounds and looks really cool: https://store.steampowered.com/app/505230/Pathologic_2/

Reviews well too. $11 CAD on sale.

It is a very cool game, and well worth that price, imo.

A few tips if you decide to get into it:

-You will feel lost, like you were dropped into something right in the middle of the story. This is by design. Talk to people, and your character will indirectly answer certain questions like "That word you used is one of the steppe people. How do you know that?" and so on.

-The game is oppressive, and also unforgiving. You will feel like you're barely scraping by at times. Just keep at it and do what you have to to keep the story going. This is the theme of the story involving an approaching plague.

-While there are combat mechanics, this is not a game about combat. Anything more than a one-on-one will be more trouble than it's worth. And even one-on-one is more trouble than it's worth. Sometimes.

-Bolding this because it's probably the most important. Don't save scum. Play on with the mistakes you have made (and even the mistakes you think you've made.)

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Dackel posted:

Not sure if there's a thread for it but My Time at Sandrock just put out an update about their 1.0 price increase 3 days from now. It will be $40 (or I assume ~40EUR) but it is currently available at fanatical for around $15 or 18EUR. Is it worth grabbing it? I ... am kind of ambivalent about My time at Portia. It wasn't terrible, but it didn't wow me either.

I played a bit of Sandrock when it came out in EA a year or so ago. It's basically more Portia, but with QoL improvments. Things were more streamlined like not needing mats in your personal inventory to make make metal bars or whatever (it will pull from any chests you have, but for "finished" items, you need to have each component in your inventory), and the mining stuff I remember being a lot less tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Hwurmp posted:

a Character Action Game is any game where there are characters and they do actions, or have actions done unto them

actually Doom is a role-playing game, in which you play the role of UAC space marine, Jeffrey Doom

Pfft, look at this poser reciting the new Doom lore. Real fans know that your character was originally John Doomguy.
:goonsay: