Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is Stronghold: Warlords worth 8 dollars? The game seemed to be really divisive among Stronghold fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1613223920706129921

You are seeing this across tons of industries, most prominently with cancellations of already completed projects at Warner Bros. and AMC. Everyone is scaling back on content and I suspect is has to do with the fact that you can't borrow money for free anymore. I wonder if this will cut across all the major publishers.

Also I bet one of those cancellations was the return to the good version of Ghost Recon : (

Maybe Ubisoft should stop investing money in project for 8 years and just kill them when, by year two, the design document isn't finalized and there's nothing to show for it. I'd love to get another Beyond Good & Evil but whatever that game may end up being is going to be a goddamn mess and maybe have 1/100th the amount of charm and creativity the original game had.

Also whatever Skull & Bones ends up being. I'm sure it'll be delayed again before its release and be a total mess.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Gorn Myson posted:

And they've delayed Skull & Bones again lol.

loving laffo. I didn't even see that tweet when I typed that post. Welp.

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1613225086336569362

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Just play them all and decide which ones are you favorites!

I particularly like 1 and 3. V is great too but that's more of a complex opinion. I think it's a weak MGS game but as a Stealth Tactical Action game it's top-notch.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So is Dark and Darker supposed to be some weird, almost janky game? I like the idea behind it but the combat is just too ponderous. I get that it's supposed to be deliberate and slower but I feel like it's far too slow and every melee class except the fighter feels like trash since you can't block, so you're basically trading blows and dying through attrition. I thought it'd be a thing where if you start a swing and get without range then back out during their attack animations you could get away with not getting hit, since there isn't even a rudimentary dodging mechanic, but that doesn't even work.

I can't wrap my head around this one. Game really needs a training area to get used to the weird, borderline janky, well, everything and it doesn't have it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Half speed is being generous. It feels like playing Skyrim with a PC from 95. Gonna swing my sword at 5 frames a second.

I'll keep trying it out since it's a demo but one look at the community around this game and it feels like it's attracting the type that'll make getting into this game a month after release borderline impossible.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

big cummers ONLY posted:

After playing some Dread Templar I am saddened to say that boomer shooters might not be for me. Are there any with slower movement speeds, closer to HL than Quake? Really the movement speed is the only thing getting me down. I just don't have the reflexes for it anymore. Shame because Dread Templar seems real good for what it is

Cultic might be more your speed - I played the demo a while back and it felt a lot like Half-Life. Ion Fury, too, from a lot of accounts. But I heard the lead developer of that game was a real scumbag.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

FutureCop posted:

Gestalt: Steam & Cinder - COOL - Pretty polished and cool Metroidvania with a story focus where you explore a steampunk city as a roguish lady merc, picking up misc bounties/quests while doing your main mission which has you uncovering relics of some mysterious civilization with void powers and maybe you have some connection to the past or future or something. Combat has you use sword moves to build up energy for fancy bullets that can hurt or stun while ducking or roll through well-telegraphed attacks.

Just want to say that I got around to this and it is, indeed, extremely good. I'm really weary of "Metroidvania-types" games using the 16-32 bit aesthetics at this point but this one was super solid. The movement felt right, the combat is meaty, the sound design is good and it looks fantastic. It's hard to get an idea of what the writing is like based off of the demo but it seemed decent enough. Wishlisted it immediately after.

If you're not a big fan of these games or are just tired of them in general I'd still give this one a looksee, it might surprise you like it did to me.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Wanted: Dead looks like it'll occupy that niche of games that most people dislike but builds a passionate fanbase around it. I'm that way with the Gothic series, mostly 1 and 2. If the average person were to play that now they'd wonder what the gently caress is this janky-rear end euro trash. But if I'd played it now it'd be like coming home.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The idealized masculine form!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, the AI being fairly insurmountable is a major problem I had with Unbound. Some races are just impossible if you don't race them perfectly because the AI will just get ahead and stay there, often increasing their commanding lead as the races goes on even on the easy difficulty. It's not particularly fun. I also couldn't really adjust to the racing model they used. I found drifting to be really hard to get used to (and never really did). It's pretty simple to engage but I always had a hard time maintaining it and using that really good but finicky mechanic where you can boost out of it and snap to a direction.

I just prefer super arcadey racers like Burnout and Unbound wasn't quite there.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They're starting to realize that the Adventurer Mart in Baldur's Gate 2 is what the best kind of shop should be in RPGs.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

Looks like a Spellforce franchise sale has come up.

What's the most Goon recommended one?

I really liked 2 and 3 - you can't go wrong with either.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Add me another one who just didn't jive with Darkest Dungeons. I Kickstarted it and I don't regret helping a developer make the game they wanted to make but the end product just wasn't for me. I just couldn't get into the combat and the triage and failure mitigation was a bit too much for me. Glad it found its audience, though.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mordja posted:

Godsworn has a demo out Steam's Tacticon fest. I've only played part of a skirmish so far, but it's definitely midway between Age of Mythology and Warcraft 3 with some convenient, automated resourcing mechanics.

This is a fun little RTS. It reminds me a lot of Battle Realms except there isn't really any macro. Hearkens back to just build a fat doom stack o dudes then roll your way to victory, which is fine by me.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMKzWB3sDFc

Related. Man, Yakuza 0 was so drat good. I should play through it again. They were firing on all cylinders with that game.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I hope Fortune's Run gets there. I played the demo a while back and it was pretty rough but you could see the potential of the game almost immediately.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You know, I've heard people say that we don't shame enough these days and I thought that was kind of rude and could lead to a slipper slope of awful but nope. I changed my mind. We need to shame a lot more.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm stoked. I thought Spellforce 3 was really good and fun, so Grimlore getting a shot at this franchise is really cool.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The team that did Spellforce 3 and its expansions are developing Titan Quest 2. I enjoyed that game a lot too so I have high hopes for Titan Quest 2.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It does feel like you're missing a lot in a coop campaign, especially with your companions. You really gotta pick and choose who you want to focus on and that's with two people. Any more than that then it's really tough. We get a lot of weird bugs in multiplayer too. Well, it's not a massive damper on things and Larian is very good with post-release support so hopefully they'll change stuff over the course of the next year.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

repiv posted:

who would win, the fromsoft quadrillion polygon occluded terrain or the team ninja quadrillion polygon character models

https://twitter.com/DeathChaos25/status/1505243871009247234

This is chump poo poo. 1.0 of Final Fantasy XIV did all this and then some on barrels.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I got at least 20 dollars with of enjoyment out of the game.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

repiv posted:

> how should we indicate that a surface is climbable
> idk just put some detective vision poo poo on there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcMjJnWJGA0

Less of an issue with art direction and color and more of the design team being cowards and finding the worst kind of middle ground between "climb everything" and "predetermined handholds" imaginable. The game is gorgeous and is full of contrasts but that climbing point is spot-on. Feels like the art team was operating on the idea that you'd be able to climb anything but then it was decided at the last moment to limit what the player could climb.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Holy poo poo, this is incredible. Game of the Decade right there.

Edit: On the subject of food details. Monster Hunter World's is indeed top-tier. But Iceborne has it beat, not so much the delicious looking stew you get but in the kitchen there's an animation loop of a palico making bread that's memorizing. From dough to final loaf the whole thing is animated and it's so great. I just watched that little guy make bread for the longest time.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 7, 2023

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Control had issues, like the mod system was kaka and the skill tree was wonky but boy did the gameplay feel so drat good. Whatever faults it had the things that work really worked and picked up the slack of the things that didn't.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Lakitu7 posted:

Does BG3 have softer level scaling than D:OS2 or do you still need to spend your time re-buying all new gear every 1-2 levels? That was ultimately what ruined D:OS2 for me.

It's one of the few benefits of them going D&D and that is the itemization being incredibly good. I liked BG3, I wasn't as in love with it as a lot of people, but the one thing I liked a ton was all the good and useful loot. I hear you with Original Sin 2 as that was a major issue I had too and that brought the whole game down (among other things) but it definitely isn't an issue with Baldur's Gate 3.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Rebel Blob posted:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256978586/movie480_vp9.webm
For fans of throwback cRPGs, Colony Ship was released a couple of days ago. By the developers of Age of Decadence. Another example of the enduring indie niche for isometric Fallout-likes. I've only played the demo, but compared to the typical Eurojank of the genre, the writing is a step up and there is very little jankiness. It's basically a labor of love, the game has been in development for 9 years. They've dumped the weird bespoke engine they used for AoD, so on a technical level Colony Ship is much smoother, with better graphics and performance.

It's for a pretty niche audience of hardcore cRPG fans, those who love elaborate character sheets and turn-based combat. But I know some of those folks are here, so it's worth a mention. If you have any experience with Age of Decadence, you'll have a good idea of what this game is. Though it's worth taking into account Colony Ship looks to be a nice improvement on AoD.

I'll have to give the demo a whirl. It looks neat but Age of Decadence was really ball-bustingly hard for me. Glad they put out a demo so people like me can try it out and see if it breaks the tolerance for trial and error gameplay.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Azran posted:

Grim Dawn's not just getting a new expansion in 2024, it's also getting a pretty great patch on November 16th.

* You can now play up to level cap on Normal if you wish (you used to be forced to play through all three difficulties consecutively, like in Diablo 2), since areas now scale up to 100.
* Monster-specific unique items are guaranteed drops
* You get access to both higher difficulties on that character as soon as you beat the final boss
* If you complete a quest that gives skill points as a reward in a higher difficulty without completing it in the previous difficulties, you get the rewards for all versions of the quest
* Dash action added as a baseline for all characters, regardless of class. It has i-frames.
* Between 30-60% less item drops, made up by greatly increased drop quality and money.
* Health and Mana potions removed from the game, they're now a baseline skill that does not takes up any inventory space.
* Toggled buffs don't need to be manually activated and have no upkeep.
* Improved mod tools.
* Hard crowd control skills removed from a lot of non-boss monsters.
* Like a thousand more itemization and balance changes.

:stare: This might be the biggest instance of genre modernization I've ever seen happen to a game, especially this long after release. Can't wait for the expansion.

I wonder what sort of eldritch apocalypse this expansion will unleash. Makes me laugh that each expansion has been like "we needed to start an eldritch apocalypse to stop... an eldritch apocalypse!" But yeah, holy moley, those changes are really drat good. A replay may be on the menu!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Played some more Control the other day. That game does not gently caress around, I died more than five times to the very first boss.

As expected, I'm not sure what's going on, but I do like the vibes and atmosphere after some initial misgivings. It's kind of...Twin Peaks? Lovecraft? Magical realism meets horror? There's probably a more apt comparison, but regardless, I enjoy it.

That's the hardest boss in the game. It's a weird spike where you have to face something that hits really hard with very limited options to deal with him on your end. It's smooth sailing after that. Max out launch first then put them into whatever you want after that. I love the game and its combat but the skill tree and mod system are really half-baked. I hope they either scrap it in the sequel or do something more interesting with it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I have a soft spot for Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So I've been playing Skull & Bones with a couple of friends and here's my report:

A solid "wait and see". The naval combat is really fun. You can really customize your ship to any kind of playstyle. Long, medium, short range options are available with the different normal cannons, which isn't to say of the more weirder ones like howitzers, torpedoes, rockets and whatnot. The later ones aren't something you'd probably try out in the six hours they're giving you. You can brace to mitigate damage but instead of it being a forever thing, it's a meter now that takes a moment to replenish so you can't stay braced forever. You can do boarding actions which are a small cutscene of your crew pulling the enemy ship towards yours and you get bonus loot from doing so but you're vulnerable to other ships' cannon-fire. There are lots of cosmetic for you to buy with in-game currency and I'm sure there'll be a massive premium store because it's modern video games and, especially, Ubisoft. Maneuvering the ship is at a sweet spot - it feels like a ship. Raising and lowering the sail takes time so you won't be getting that burst of speed until it unfurls, so you have to take into account that delay when sailing around. There's no friendly fire from cannon or crashes so if you run head-first into a rocks or your pal you won't take any damage, at least of what I saw. Maybe I wasn't going fast enough.

You have three speeds, half-furled, full-furled and sprint. Sprint gives you a huge speed boost but consumes stamina, which you can replenish with food. You get food by hunting sharks and fishing. If you fish with cannons you get the meat but the skin is ruined, to properly fish you have to go out on your dhow and spear fish. You also collect resources from your ship using a collecting minigame. It's weird and awkward. You can be a commodity trade if you don't want to be a pew-pew ship exploder as there is a mechanic to buy low, sell high with commodities. There are also different factions in the game that will fight each other so you can sit and watch then go grab all the dropped loot after it's over, so there are some emergent moments like that.

The biggest hurdle right now is the UI - it's awful. The interact button is very finicky about your position and if a lot of people are talking to a shopkeeper or someone you need to talk to you won't be able to get the prompt up because you'll be body-blocked. Even if your not you character's movement is animation based so if you turn around you'll take that one extra step forward as they move to their default standing stance - it takes a little while to get used to. This is the same issue with mining resources. You have to get really close to the shore where they are but since you have these big, cumbersome ships it's awkward. You can use a spyglass to spot things but some resources are really hard to spot so you'll see the cursor fill up (in order to identify it, you do this with ships too to see what kind of stuff they're carrying) then move it slightly and it'll stop. Actual loot in the sea is very hard to spot. It doesn't glitter or shoot up pillars of light and you have to manually pick it up while staring with it - it's not omnidirectional, so you have to look in the right direction and hit [F] to pick it up, if it moves out of your narrow, undefined, field of vision you'll lose the prompt. This is especially dangerous and frustrating in a battle. if it's chaotic and you destroy a bunch of ships or your friends do you'll miss out on a bunch of stuff because you can't see it.

Partying up is fine but the way quests work is you all have to be present to turn it in before you get credit. It's really weird. Some of them you don't: ones where you have to drop off cargo or something, but when you have to talk to someone it keeps track of all the people who need to talk to the NPC and it won't progress until everyone does. There's no "move all" button when moving cargo from your hold to the warehouse (you want to do this because if you are sunk you lose all your cargo), so if you're full of stuff you'll be mashing the spacebar a lot to move all your components and commodities. An issue I didn't run into but a friend did is to dock at a port or interact with a sea-side shop you hold [S] but you also use [S] to unfurl your sail quickly, so if you need to make adjustments and forgot about that you'll just end up back on shore because you held it down.

So it's decent considering its been in development for a century at this point. I'd wait until they fixed all the bad UI elements, though. They're needlessly frustrating. Plus it's an Ubisoft game so it'll be half-off a month after release.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I was curious to see if we would get another expeditions game but it looks like the studio is probably done :(

https://campfirecabal.com/studio-closure/

I think a lot of that team, the ones that didn't go to work on some blockchain (hahaha) game, are working on another. One of the developers said so on the Steam forums.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

OhFunny posted:

Gonna splurge and buy Seikro, RE4R, and Nioh 2 this sale.

drat good selection.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The multiplayer was the best thing about Mass Effect 3. The story outside of Tuchanka was really garbage - they really didn't know how to finish their story so it felt like playing a game that was extremely disconnected from the first two. It's extremely mediocre. Best practices is to treat it as a multiplayer game that has a single player campaign bolted on.

Anyone play Remnant 2? I asked this in the game's topic but that seems to be dead outside one or two people posting rarely and I could use some beginner tips. I played and enjoyed the last game well enough but I don't remember it being as this hard. You can really get stunlocked by melee and it feels a lot more punishing than it should - I'm struggling with the very first area. I'm playing on the lowest difficulty setting and it's just beating me pretty bad, to the point where I'm not really having fun. Melee feels awfully clunky too, like the recovery time before you can move is just a half a second too long compared to other games that use animation priority. Given the speed and narrowness of the arenas you usually fight in, at least in this first area, having a dodge roll feels like the wrong design choice, instead there should have been a sidestep dodge, like Bloodborne or Witcher 3.

I'm having a very hard time adjusting to the game. Feels very overtuned the first major area for the game. I don't remember struggling this much with the first game.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I absolutely got pasted in the first dungeon too, the game is definitely harder than the first

Does it follow the first game and randomize the world it generates per campaign? The area I got was some castle place with these skinny enemies with ribbon-like rainbow wings that use spears and bows. I remember the first game having this issue too, where some starting areas were a lot harder than others. It's such a dumb unforced error. I get that you want every campaign to feel different but it makes the onboarding process terrible.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Fifty Farts posted:

Now for something completely different from X-COM-likes: I've been playing The Matchless Kungfu lately. It's a weird janky poorly-translated early access open-world wuxia game where you play as an aspiring kung-fu master or something. Imagine if Kenshi was even less coherent. You expand the map by placing new tiles, that have quests or villages or faction bases or other stuff, and then you can go explore those tiles and talk to people and get into turn-based kung-fu fights. Combat is basically rock-paper-scissors with punches and kicks, but it looks neat and flashy when it plays out. One of my first quests was to help a farmer who'd been harassed by monkeys who broke into his house, took his food and booze, wrecked the place, and beat him up with kung-fu because of course the monkeys know kung-fu. So I went out to beat up some monkeys, and impressed them so much that one of them showed up later to lead me to a hidden treasure, and I tamed another one who now sits in front of the Drunken Fighting School and begs for money on my behalf. I also have a dog and a human retainer (she showed up one day and basically said "hey, you seem cool, I'm going to follow you around now"). I taught my retainer how to tame animals, and now she also has a dog, as well as a chicken. I joined the drunken fighting school but I can't seem to figure out how to advance in it - I've been helping other students, learned all the drunken school moves that I can, taught a bunch of my fellow students how to do stuff, and the master of the school still says I'm not ready for a promotion. I'm probably missing something because it's either unfinished or poorly/badly translated. There's a lot of translation jank (and other jank), but it's also a charming little game and I can't stop playing.

(picture from the store page)

This sound pretty awesome. I dug Kenshi years ago but trying to get back into it is just something I don't often have the time or patience for. Does this have a similar thing where it's super inscrutable early on or is the onboarding a bit more relaxed?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, Outward skewered too far towards the tedious nonsense route for my Gothic brain. You can get away with running between the old camp and swamp camp because it's like 2 minutes of running, tops. You also get teleport runes later on. It works less in Outward when the zones are really big and you have to worry about cold/hot weather gear, thirst, hunger, encumbrance and all that garbage. It definitely has Gothic vibes but the character progression and all the "survival" junk in it was negative fun. In Gothic when you learned new skills in whichever path you took it felt wholly unique to that path, like you became part of a community in doing so, especially in Gothic 2.

That and while the unlocking of mana in Outward was really cool, it still stunk to lose max health over it and the actual magic you could cast was either not good or overly complicated. A neat idea of a game but it was not my cup of tea whatsoever.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone play and willing to give a post their thoughts on Colony Ship? I know it's not inscrutable as Age of Decadence (a game I desperately wanted to like but was just too hard and specific) but looking at the reviews it seems like both the combat an social routes through the game have their drawbacks. The "most helpful" reviews on Steam mention that combat can become a real slog with its pacing very slow and difficulty just being "enemies got more health, accuracy and numbers" instead of it being a clever combat puzzle. Meanwhile social lets you bypass combat in a lot of cases but you do miss out on a ton of exp and items. Any truth to these or are they exaggerations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Of the three games Oblivion's the one I've played the least but I still played it a ton. Morrowind and Skyrim are tied, the latter only because it is really easy to pick up and play and the mod managers make it extremely easy to mod. But I prefer Morrowind. Fully-voiced NPCs really mucked everything up with that franchise. You could get so much more out of conversations in Morrowind because of it being text.

Also you got to join the judge dredd faction. I'm sorry, the Morag Tong are so much better than the dark brotherhood. The former makes the later look like a bunch of dorky edgelord teens complaining to one other that it's their turn to brood in the dark corner. Skyrim screwed up this faction, unfortunately. Instead of the death writ being a government sanctioned kill order they just treated it like another dark brotherhood paid hit. I don't think Bethesda knows their own setting anymore.