Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

StrixNebulosa posted:

My primary concern with Elden Ring is that I'll boot it up, realize it needs really intense focus, so I'll play it for 2-3 sessions and then keep finding excuses not to play it. :negative: (someday I'll return to you Nioh...someday...)

I'm teetering on buying it or not for basically the same reason. I know it's a huge time investment and I'm always hot and cold when it comes to this kinda stuff.

I also seem to be an odd one out that I much prefer From's earlier output to their latter (though the jury is still out on Bloodborne :argh:) so I'm worried I'll invest all 100 hours or whatever into it only to realize I dislike for the same reasons I'm cool on Dark Souls 3...

FWIW, blanket reminder if you have a Humble Bundle subscription to check their store for deals since the extra 20% off can nudge the price down further than you can possibly get elsewhere. Pretty sure Elden Ring is currently at its absolute cheapest there thanks to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

StrixNebulosa posted:

holy poo poo John Murdoch I watched your movie last night again and it's still one of my favorites. Just an absolutely earnest 90s noir weirdo thing and so worth it. :allears: God I love Dark City.

:tipshat:

Is it weird that the ending bugs me a lot? But otherwise I'm obviously a big fan. :v:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

FilthyImp posted:

Doesn't the dude achieve godlike power, overthrow the stranger aliens, and just retreat to a world of fantasy because it's otherwise impossible to know what was real and who came from where?

(Continued Dark City talk.) Yes, yes, no. In the final scene he meets up with Jennifer Connelly's character but she's had her memories replaced one last time so he's effectively a stranger to her, but hey, maybe they'll fall in love again anyway. It's not totally out of place because the movie is pretty clear in its statement that there's more to humanity than just raw memory, but idk. I'm not sure if it's actually a full blown trope but the "someone's memory is erased but things will work out anyway" concept wigs me out pretty bad, even if in Dark City it's meant to be optimistic and earnest.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Gamers got real weird about difficulty in Fromsoft games, like it’s there in places but also not the sole defining trait.

I feel like there's a significant overlap between people who take Dark Souls way too seriously and people who over-mythologize the original Zelda as being mysterious and inscrutable because they didn't read the instruction booklet.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Supraland Crash is such a bummer. I knew going in it wasn't going to be as good as the base game, but it's worse in an almost scientifically precise way where every aspect is exactly 65% worse across the board.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Fuligin posted:

Disagree, ds2 has colors, ds3 has some v attractive areas (irithyll! Dragon monastery place!) but the palette is so muted and dull a lot of the time

Also DS3 inherited Bloodborne's pathological need to have More Detail everywhere. Sure, many areas in DS2 are noticeably stark and that's not necessarily ideal, but places in 3 like the Undead Settlement give me a bit of a headache because there's just so many layers of gribblies and whatsits everywhere. Makes for nice looking screenshots (the pre-poison swamp swamp is particularly pretty, imo) but while playing it gets to be a bit visually exhausting.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
To be fair, ITB is randomized but not procgen. You'll see the same maps/mission types all the time, you're just not gonna see all of them in a single run or in the same exact order every time. Otherwise it's just the details that vary a bit.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 6, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Of the modern Bethesda games, the biggest issues for me were:

- Fallout 3's map design being pretty poopy, so you had no choice but to chase compass blips in order to find anything but the most obvious POIs.

- Oblivion letting you fast travel between every city from the word go.

In the latter case I simply played like I had to unlock fast travel as normal and had an alright time if it.

Though I'm also perfectly fine with the compass existing as long as it's not the primary way I'm navigating*; following the terrain/landmarks/POIs while knowing I'm not completely off track is my preferred style.

*Same vibe as many GTA-style games where you can just stare at the minimap and navigate entirely through that and it sucks.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I think you misread something.

Weirdly hostile response either way.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 7, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I thiink Skyrim does the same thing where you can fast travel to every hold by default (and there's the wagon service for a more diegetic method) but it always slips my mind because it's just so antithetical to how I play that I never actually realized it during my playthrough, only learning well afterwards, then subsequently forgetting again.

FWIW, I'm otherwise fine with fast travel.

edit: I typed this before seeing the last few posts yet it synched up almost perfectly, neat.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Anno posted:

And (I think) to Stux's prior point, I do hate when it's invoked to criticize a game that intentionally has lulls in its story or moment-to-moment gameplay. Games, music, movies whatever should have downtime, room to breathe and just exist. I don't want go go go all the time.

Regardless of anything else, there is a curious flavor of poster that gets amazingly aggro at the idea of a game having even a millisecond where they aren't pushing buttons to make something happen and they scare me a little.

Bad Seafood posted:

I see this in a lot of Ubisoft-style open world games. Climb every mountain for a checkbox. Collect every thermos. There's 300 of them scattered across the map. No hints, no puzzles, no challenges, sometimes even no benefits or unlockables. You'll get an achievement though. You like those, right?

In my experience, often the collectibles are hidden behind a small navigational puzzle or setpiece. But probably not all 300.

I think density is really the bigger issue in general. The majority of Arkham City's collectibles are hidden behind very, very obvious, screaming loud Riddler puzzles, but that doesn't actually automatically improve the experience despite qualifying as "real" Content.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kibayasu posted:

Every time I see a spaceship fighting/trading game it reminds me that I wish Rebel Galaxy kept with its 2D plane Age of Sail gameplay for the follow-up rather than trying to make Privateer again. Everyone always tries to make Privateer again.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, there are far too few capital ship spacegames around. Let me captain a single big-rear end battlecruiser, directing gun batteries, dispatching fighter squadrons, and launching giant missile salvoes. But it seems like almost all games that aim for that scale are either higher-scope strategy games or the endgame of clunky 4xs.

Oh is it finally time for me to bitch that I'm so tired of space games being the exact same mine/trade/shoot pirates/become pirate sandbox over and over and over? Once in a blue moon somebody makes a mission-based dogfight game instead, but unfortunately for me I'm not really into those either.

The only games I can think of that do anything even slightly differently are Chrous (which is still a dogfighter), Hardspace Shipbreaker which is its own totally different niche, and then uhhhh...the space parts of the most recent Lego Star Wars? I guess there was Starlink, but that was all terrestrial pew pewing. Basically the same problem where they keep making super crunchy mech games whereas I want dumb fun mecha games.

Like I guess a case can be made for Rebel Galaxy and Everspace 1 sort-of counting for reasons? I wouldn't count 6dof shooters, though. It's a shockingly shallow pool of choices either way.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Serephina posted:

Out of curiosity, what type of space game are you wanting? It's just a setting, and there's not much to recommend it unless you're doing space-only stuff, which is typically ships going pew-pew.

There's spacey role playing games, spacey 4X's, spacey RTS's, spacey FPS's (which you don't like), spacey ship tactics games (ditto), spacey roguelikes, so on so forth. I think only the RPGs didn't have lasers going pew.

For controlling a single massive ship, there was Dreadnaught, and honestly F2P aside, I don't think it'd be a cool game anyways as controlling a single hero unit gets boring quickly.

Something full 3D with action and open world elements (or really just any kind of tangible exploration, doesn't have to be a full blown Ubisoft iconfest), but without relying on the same repeated sandbox formula where you toil away space trucking between generic space stations so you can afford to make numbers go up a tiny bit and exploration takes the form of "sometimes you see a pretty skybox". Like I want to zip my little ship inbetween the wreckage of some huge gently caress-off dreadnought to retrieve some cool bespoke weapon, then when pirates inevitably ambush me I can use the terrain to my advantage. It's probably going to sound dumb as hell, but basically the same kind of well-rounded experience as something like the Arkham games or Tomb Raider or something but you just happen to be in a spaceship. Explore/sneak/fight, find collectibles or upgrades, mild RPG elements instead of insanely meticulous and granular ship customization.

Or to say it in a different, snarky way the absolute complete opposite of Elite Dangerous.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cowcaster posted:

it's straight up not what you're looking for, but i'd stick it on your wishlist for a steam sale someplace: ace combat 7 is like starfox with a bit of a progression mechanic over a campaign and it's something that really hit me good and you might like it

edit: sorry, i posted that weird, as someone who didn't like mission based campaign dogfighters up until that point, ace combat 7 hit me just right, is where that's coming from. but yeah, wait for a deep steam sale before you give it a shot

Nah you're good, I saw the pre-edit version and I got what you meant. Ace Combat's actually been living on my wishlist for a while now. It's kinda in the same ballpark as EDF, with the stupid and fun and stupid fun.

It's not really what I'm looking for in this case, but it does speak to one of my frustrations in that every space game seems to want to be dour, realistic, or both. With maybe an exception for like, No Man's Sky, but that game's well off the table. We need more games designed with the sensibility of a 10 year old.

Rinkles posted:

How was Freelancer in that regard?

Is...is Freelancer not cut from the same cloth as the rest? Have I been horribly misinformed this entire time (and/or been conflating it with Privateer et al)? :psyduck:

The Joe Man posted:

You've played Descent Freespace 1 & 2, right? If not, that's what you want.

EDIT: Actually if you're not deadset on full 3D, Space Rangers HD is incredible. For something older that's more adventure/RPG focused, Planet's Edge (get it on GOG though).

Is it? I'm under the impression Freespace is yet another mission-based fighter sim kind of thing. No exploration.

Space Rangers is the exact kind of sandbox I don't like, albeit cracked out and weirder than the usual fare and with a few side modes of play. Never even heard of Planet's Edge before but it seems a bit intriguing on account of having Star Trek away mission dungeon crawl stuff but ultimately I want the immersion factor of 3D.

RandomBlue posted:

Everspace 2 is a lot like this IMO.

It's definitely on my radar, but I'm slightly worried because half of what it's supposed to be sounds loving amazing and almost too good to be true, and then the other half is the same space economy sim stuff I can't stand. And somewhere in the middle the loot/ship customization reads like it might be a bit too fiddly for my liking.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

This game seems to use a very loose definition of "exploration" best I can tell.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

im just gonna say it. It's 2D, but have you played The Ur-Quan Masters(Star Control II)? The free HD version holds up insanely well by today's standards, and involves a good story, fun gameplay, and spess gaem fun

Not yet. Don't get me wrong, I'm aware it's basically the peak of that specific class of 2D space game, but it's also far afield of what I'm after in this instance.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The Joe Man posted:

I've finished it. You can go anywhere you want. It's the closest you're going to get.

Except the "where" in "anywhere" seems to be pretty space backgrounds and isolated space stations and nothing else.

I mean, I said upfront that there's a dearth of games out there that fit my criteria. I don't think I've overlooked very many, I think they just flatout do not exist and that's my whole complaint.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

K8.0 posted:

There are a ton of games that are what you want. They just aren't space games because space is a lovely setting with too little to restrict movement. Movement and overcoming the restriction of it is what defines exploration. When there's no restriction, it's all samey and boring.

Sure, you could make a space exploration game where the player is exclusively flying through space-Kowloon and similar restrictive settings and maybe that's something someone should do (maybe they could call it Descent), but it'd be a ton of work to make it not just a worse version of the same concept but not able to just fly anywhere you like.

If you want exploration in space go play Outer Wilds. It's about as good as it's ever going to be possible to make something revolve around exploration in space.

I've pondered about this myself, and tbh I don't think it's an issue of a lack of restricted movement. I do think designing maps for total open 3D navigation is a potential nightmare or at best a very specialized skillset not normally taught or otherwise trained, and making a big giant open space world to explore would be at least as if not moreso expensive and taxing as making a ground-level one. So I'm not exactly surprised that there aren't dozens of them being pumped out every year.

But there's a non-zero number of underwater games that have decent exploration, and that's not that far removed from space. I think part of the problem here is that space games tend to talk in terms of macro exploration - in Elite Dangerous you can shoot off into unmapped space and genuinely discover planets that nobody else has ever seen before, and that is exploration of a sort but not remotely the kind I mean. I'm talking exploration on a smaller or at least more intimate scale, hence my original example of going through a dreadnought to salvage cool stuff. In a lot of space games you don't even really go to or otherwise interact with physical locations as such. No Man's Sky comes so close, but is let down by being procgen. And also a crappy survival/crafting game.

This also dovetails with the way space games strive for realism or an approximation thereof, so everything ends up lightyears away from everything else and distances need to be crossed with super duper hyper drives and you don't really navigate by sight much. Space is empty, so too must the game be.

I guess another way to frame it is that I'm not really interested in capital S capital G Space Games that do X, I'm interested in games that do X that happen to use space as their setting/have a scifi theme. Hell, there's a bunch of random genres/sub-genres that would be neat with a scifi skin. Pokemon Snap in space? Elden Ring in space? Dark Messiah in space? gently caress it, why not.

It doesn't involve flying a whole spaceship, but the spacewalk parts of Prey are a lot closer in vibe to what I mean, even if I ironically didn't like them much in that specific case. Hell, I just invented a game right there: Extrapolate everything one layer out so the game "world" is one giant gently caress off ancient space hulk and you need to explore it inside and out using a little scout ship, finding upgrades and new technologies along the way.

Also how the gently caress are we this far out and there's barely any games with grappler ships in 'em. Gimme melee weapons on my spaceships, goddamnit. :argh:

victrix posted:

oh I get the spirit of what they're asking for, it's just that they're still at the bargaining stage of grief :v:

space games and 4x games are two genres that took me a long, long time to realize that what I was looking for didn't (and maybe couldn't) exist. arpgs are getting close.

And city builders. :sigh:

SirSamVimes posted:

If you want the sense of discovery and wonder in space distilled to its purest form (but limited to a single solar system and with no combat) I cannot recommend Outer Wilds enough.

I have a brain disease that makes me consistently forget Outer Wilds exists, but yes that definitely goes on the short list of games that are in the right ballpark.

Triarii posted:

It could be cool if there was, like, an open-world take on Descent. Fly around a galaxy Freelancer-style looking for contracts, but then all the nitty gritty of combat and discovery happens when you enter a derelict space station or planetary ruin and everything's much closer quarters.

HMMMMM

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 12, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SirSamVimes posted:

Can you share it? I would like to completely forget my experience with Outer Wilds and play it again.

I mean, it's all the games I've already mentioned one way or another. Prey, Hardspace Shipbreaker, and Chorus being the most significant ones. The list is games in space with exploratory elements, but none of them (maybe Prey at a stretch) are particularly alike Outer Wilds itself.

habituallyred posted:

Have you played Ring Runner: something or other of the Sages? Or is that why you specified 2d? It has a lot of close range brawls and using short range tractor beams to throw asteroids into ships and vice versa.

That's another one that's supposed to be top shelf, but I specified 3D not 2D.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh right there was also that deathmatch shooter with the realistic zero-gravity physics. ...Shattered Horizon? Wasn't really my thing but that's lurked in the recesses of my memory when it comes to non-standard space games.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I know there is a thread for it, but is there an easy one click way to play a modernized Morrowind? I kind of want to play it, but I don't really feel like dealing with piles of mods and load orders and all that crap at the moment.

OpenMW

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Commander Keene posted:

What changes to Morrowind does OpenMW make on its own? I thought it was basically to have Morrowind in a more modern and compatible engine in order to be able to play the game on like Android and future versions of Windows that may break the vanilla game?

OpenMW is, AFAIK, all around smoother and more stable, period and has most bug fixes and niceties like "running at a proper resolution" baked in. If the goal is to jump into Morrowind with minimal fuckery, that's the way to go.

If we're talking a more broad definition of "modernize" like better graphics assets and such, that's mod territory. Pretty sure there's modpacks (for both versions of the game) that will simplify the process but you need to get your hands at least a little bit dirty to effect changes on that level.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 15, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Commander Keene posted:

I thought the point of GOG was that they patched games if necessary to make them run on modern PCs. That and the no DRM.

GOG does a lot of the basic foundational stuff to get old games running at all, but they generally don't go much further than that. Sometimes under special circumstances they'll do a bit more, but MGS1 definitely doesn't fall under that category. Even if it runs 100% smooth I'm guessing it lacks anything resembling modern controller support or decent keymapping.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Isn't Ghost Babel supposed to be pretty good, if non-essential?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cowcaster posted:

it is funny that all my life the one thing i would rather grab a controller to play than use a keyboard would be a fighting game and yet apparently that's the trendy way to do it these days, they just call them "hitboxes"

Also aren't some contingent of fighting game nerds big mad about them for some reason?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Yeah -- it's called Simultaneous Opposing Cardinal Directions and Hitbox has a big article explaining it here

That makes sense, but the anti-hitbox stuff I recall catching a whiff of was basically more along the lines of "this should be illegal in tournaments because it's different and I said so". But this was also years ago and I'm a complete outsider to the FG scene so I could be way off course.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Tbf it may have specifically been the Melee scene reckoning with them so make of that what you will lol

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Morter posted:

Any thoughts on Roboquest? Even though i'm not a fan of roguelikes, it looks polished and fun compared to the other roguelike shooters I've picked up and dropped in my library.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've beat runs of it before (and even had metaprogression maxed out earlier in EA when there wasn't much to it) but they are disgustingly long and I start hating playing it like halfway through the first area (of... 5? that get much longer as you go?)

It's just like the most generic-feeling game imaginable to me, I suppose.

e: People on the Steam forums say a run takes about 45 minutes but in my experience it feels more like a 3-4 hour slog that takes place over 45 minutes. But TBF I have that problem with other FPS roguelites, every time I get to the snow level in Gunfire Reborn I groan and alt-f4 despite really enjoying that game for the first ~20-30 mins of a session.

Grain of salt, since despite owning the game I've only been scoping out streams as I wait for it to get out of early access. But the vibe I get is that there's a very specific power curve you have to get on, probably related to keeping weapons leveled (or being willing to pick up new weapons frequently) since that's usually the difference I see between newbies slowly plinking away and experts rampaging through runs. Though even then there's still a bit of a pacing snag going from the more linear levels to the open ones.

To me the big distinction between Gunfire Reborn and Roboquest is that the former captures the Isaac style "assemble these random ingredients to break the game" feast or famine build thing, while the latter often comes off as more of an old school FPS with a thin layer of roguelike stuff layered on top. You can still assemble some kooky stuff in RQ but builds seem much more measured and ultimately you gotta be dialed into the shooting much more. Closest thing I can think to compare it to is Doom 2016, where you're always getting a bit stronger with each upgrade but no single one completely upends the difficulty curve or radically shifts your focus away from rip and tear.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The game also has a very strong sense of physical space, with shades of Metroid Prime in there.

I feel like Dead Space wasn't necessarily a 200/10 GOAT of a game, but it was still a really drat good one. And it's not like there's a ton of amazing and successful RE4 clones out there to begin with, so the fact that they made something that actually punches up to that level says something, I think. Having come to it way later, it still held up really well even if I had misgivings about specific setpieces/insta-death bullshit...

Rinkles posted:

I think the dismemberment system deserves more credit. It was more than a gimmick.

Was it though? Don't get me wrong, using scifi mining implements as your core weapons (and the more traditional military spec gear being more awkward or mediocre outside of specific circumstances) is a fun conceit but it definitely felt like a gimmick to me. A good one that helps give the game its flavor, but a gimmick nonetheless. I feel like it probably landed a bit better on consoles where players had been acclimatized to going for headshots and the aiming was more challenging in general*, but outside of that I don't remember them actually pushing the idea all that far. But maybe my memory is failing me as usual.

*I actually constantly have to remind myself that Stasis was a thing you could use in combat rather than just for puzzle solving because on PC the difficulty of the game on normal really wasn't sharp enough to require it otherwise.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Runa posted:

Also rolling straight 3d6s for Ability Scores, no tweaks, makes a lot of sense when you consider a context where characters are kind of disposable and gambling with your entire build every time you make a new character is not an unreasonable ask if you don't expect to last more than a handful of hours of total playtime with that character before it's time to roll up a new one. Hell, in most roguelikes this kind of dynamic is built in to the whole structure of the progression, too.

It's extremely unreasonable to demand this for players you're expecting to invest 100's of hours of playtime into their characters. That so many groups still managed to do this was in spite of the original design rather than because of it. The demands that D&D makes of its players are specific to it and its imitators and not universal within the realm of either videogame rpgs or tabletop.

If I remember right, the 2E player's handbook was a bit vague on character generation so most people collectively assumed the way to do it was straight 3d6, but then the DMG came along and was like noooo stop. But the damage was done.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Worth remembering that the later movie games were Gears of War clones. Sticking Harry Potter into unexpected combat systems is just tradition at this point.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Chieves posted:

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth

I'm enjoying the core gameplay of this so far quite a bit, but so far it's a bit maddening how little time there is between cutscenes. I'm on chapter 8 or something. Does this ratio improve more over time? Knowing that it was a Vita game, I have a feeling that they made it bite size intentionally.

My memory is a bit hazy, but at the very least the dungeons get progressively more lengthy and devote more time to monster fighting. I thiiink there's also a couple of spots where the plot slows down a bit and you can just go off and do side content without feeling pressured. IIRC, the chapter breaks are kinda wacky because the latter half of the game is bigger and more involved, so chapter 8 might very well be in the "technically the tail end of the very decompressed setup/tutorial" phase of the game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The 7th Guest posted:

TIL square enix snuck a new murder mystery/horror VN onto Steam that apparently was only shown in the japanese Nintendo Direct last week, called PARANORMASIGHT

releases March 8th

Is...is that chromatic aberration on text???

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jossar posted:

Well, since the Pharaoh remake wasn't anything particularly special, refunded it and tried out Gunfire Reborn instead. This is the FPS Roguelike that I wish Ziggurat had been. I feel like there's a little too drastic a difference between the easy parts and the hard parts (effortlessly cleared everything up until the 2nd to last room of the first biome, had slight difficulty with the last real room but nothing major, then got turbostomped by the first boss), but I can accept that for my level of skill and newness to the game I might just need to focus on dealing with metaprogression first. It took me 43 tries to get a complete Hades run after all, and now I can pretty much clear a non-Heat run of that effortlessly. Definitely going to keep poking at this, dunno how much more today though.

I had the exact same experience with my early Gunfire runs and I can confirm that it'll clear up before long. Metaprogression grants you a LOT of power with the expectation that you'll graduate up the difficulty track over time.

Admittedly, I don't think any of the bosses are all that well designed, but Lu Wu felt like a brick wall at first and now it's a rarity that I don't chump him.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm still chugging away on a 1080 and the only hitches I've gotten in Elden Ring are the occasional one when it's clearly loading a new map chunk (or compiling the shaders for it, I guess?) and a few very specific examples where something is producing too many particle effects so the framerate gets a bit crusty.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Waste of Breath posted:

Bringing the Riven experience to modern day gamers.

(psst, please remake Riven)

vvv gently caress yeah! I thought it was kinda lost media!

:confused: It's been on GOG and Steam alike for a long while now. Aint nothin' lost about it. Except me in that loving dark tunnel. :argh:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

victrix posted:

every time a new rear end game comes out with absolutely baffling design decisions from otherwise good studios, you can smell the stink of publisher mandates from miles away

Worth remembering that this game was probably originally supposed to be a tie-in for the movie. No, the first one. Then the second one. And now, uh, well they spent 8 years on this thing.

Though I already thought it looked pretty dire even before this. And there's been just enough smoke surrounding Rocksteady that I lack any lingering loyalty or faith in them.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Harminoff posted:

I got smurfs in the mystery fanatical bundle and decided to play it as a laugh, and it's actually a pretty good platformer. Worth checking out if you got it in that.

Had a suspicion and sure enough, it's the same studio that did the Asterix game remakes(?) so yeah I'd expect competence from them.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

HopperUK posted:

Wait are there good Asterix games?! Can you play as Cacofonix? ...wait that's Wandersong isn't it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1261520/Asterix__Obelix_XXL_Romastered/

Though I'm only now realizing these are remasters of the console versions and not the technically impressive GBA versions...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mr.Acula posted:

I already felt like I wasnt finding enough Pharros stones a and then I wander into lockstone chamber

95% of them open/activate traps, and not as a gently caress you, but in order to enable one the game's crazy covenant ideas. If you just want the loot, use a guide.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
So what's the DLC situation with Ace Combat 7? The super ultimate Top Gun edition is on sale for 20 bux and comes with...the Top Gun stuff and then also the season pass which looks to be 3 planes and maybe a few other minor goodies. But that doesn't cover everything. Is this a EDF style situation where you can throw more money down to get more wacky planes to choose from, but none of its essential or otherwise a big deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You want to get the missions. The three missions are the best Ace Combat content ever made, hands down. The Top Gun stuff is skippable, as are the other standalone planes. It's pretty much an EDF situation.

Ah, I see them now, and they're also part of the season pass. The trick is that it's either 10+10 for the base game and season pass or 20 bucks for the same thing but with the Top Gun stuff on top. Or I guess $2.50 per extra mission, if I care about saving an extra $2.50.