Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
steam is real folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

workers and resources got delisted on steam, apparently prompted by the devs who didn't want to deal with DMCA claims from a steam guide weirdo

v tragic

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Communist Bear posted:

Shadows of Doubt is being released today (in 4 hours actually).

https://store.steampowered.com/app/986130/Shadows_of_Doubt/

It was very much a highlight of the last Next Fest demo and i'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

trip report; solid. It has some early access jank that you'd expect, mostly in the odd bug here and there. nothing show stopper in five hours. it feels pretty lively and there's a lot of paths to solve a problem because of that, but at the end of the day the gameplay loop basically is;

get a shoestring information on someone
run around using the crumbs to fill out the dossier until you get a name
look them up in the phonebook
break into their house and do whatever task you need to do

the biggest thing against it I guess is it does simulate a pretty dense, tall city; most of the buildings are skyscrapers with 10-20 floors, all but the ground floor being residences of office - and the ground floor being cafes, little medical clinics, pawn shops, etc - so it does get kind of samey. On top of that the maximum map size is 5x5 blocks I believe, or somewhere around there. It's a very vertical map admittedly, but again that's all just same-y residences, so there isn't a lot going on.

still good tho, an easy recommend especially for 18 bucks

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Wait, you mean this thing is nearly a Covert Action-alike? Why did nobody tell me???

actually basically, yes.

no shoot outs tho

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

the only cars are put up on bricks and basically all combat encounters, such as they are, are absolved once you make it out to the street

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

one weird thing I've had about shadows of doubt is a whole lot of murder cases can bread crumb stuff like a evil date or capitalist thugs following the victim or etc but 9/10 it's just a matter of scanning the finger prints at scene, run to their workplace and check everyone's fingerprints

which is unfortunate but ea and the hooks are there. maybe I am getting really (un?)lucky

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I mean given that's the complaint for a lot of old school metroids and those have relatively concise maps, that sounds legit

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

the two sprite bloodstains are very strong and worth it, too. I actually prefer them over the "main" game quite abit, although I find curse a bit to chunky and awkward to want to replay it

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

it's half baked and all in all pretty light with a focus on the srpg aspect, but I think you might be reading into it a little

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I dislike the cut of this new jib.

mostly because it's different after a decade or whatever

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

repiv posted:

rockstar just really hates PC for some reason, they never bothered to backport the engine improvements from GTA5s PS5/XSX version to PC, and now the PC version is missing out on certain GTAO content that's only released for the new engine

because their old rear end engine is very easily hacked, letting people just cheat and give themselves paid stuff

which the consoles can do, too, but not as easily as googling like red dead gold or something. probably more viruses.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

it's been a hot minute but I remember eg2 just having everything take forever and really pad things out

and not much of it was spent actually being active, so you kind of built your base half way through and then did mild management stuff for the next twenty hours

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

gently caress all this forza bullshit we need burnout again

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Symphony of War I found kinda dull since the maps weren't designed well so half your army is just durdling around doing nothing while your god-tier squads sweep the entire map. Maybe the patches fixed this, but it got real boring real fast, and without a decent story or characters to care about, it felt like a slog to complete. There's the foundations of something interesting there, though, so for the price of a bundle, it's probably good enough to play for yourself.

It's solidly mediocre with an actively bad story. The mechanics are interesting, but don't really pan out to be anything meaningful. Nothing changed on that front, although it did get a DLC with some standalone maps and even more busted units.

Unicorn Overlord also came out, even if that's console exclusive, and does the same vibe but in a borderline goty way

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

hi-fi rush is good. my only qualm with it is the counter mechanic became required to continue at points and I was bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

last train outta wormtown remains the greatest party game to play with your friends