Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This year I'm trying to cut my video game spending, and I've been really picky in what games I pick up - I have a HUGE backlog and lots of big games that take time to go through, so I don't want to add to that so much.

So I've picked up:

Dead Grid: zombies card game weird early access thing made by one guy. I adore zombies, and this is my jam.
Tainted Grail: Slay the Spire but with demanding graphics and a really eerie setting!
Procemon: It's a broken GBC pokemon clone :allears: Also it's edgy! An evil corporation has created a way to break into new worlds to steal their energy and exploit the labor of the procemon! The starting procemon kill the prof and trainer and then you play as them, looking for a way to stop the exploitation of the working class procemon! Contains all procedurally generated everything.

But now I'm trying to decide if I want to do any big purchases before the sale ends

- Is Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi any good? I love dungeon crawlers and this one looks big and engaging.
- Is Elden Ring any easier than Dark Souls? I like the idea of exploring a huge open world, but I kinda suck at the genre.
- How's Disgaea 6? I've heard it was more auto-battle-y than the other ones, which might be exactly what I'm looking for.
- Soul Hackers 2 turned out to be merely OK and kinda simplified, right?

etc etc. Trying to figure out what one big game to purchase is tough, and I like most genres, and it's nearly impossible for me to ask for recommendations as I know a lot of games. :sweatdrop:

I keep circling back to Undernauts though, but I'm kind of worried I'll purchase it and burn out midway through when there are other dungeon crawlers I could play already. And yet I do love the idea of mining my own dungeons...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My primary concern with Elden Ring is that I'll boot it up, realize it needs really intense focus, so I'll play it for 2-3 sessions and then keep finding excuses not to play it. :negative: (someday I'll return to you Nioh...someday...)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

holy poo poo John Murdoch I watched your movie last night again and it's still one of my favorites. Just an absolutely earnest 90s noir weirdo thing and so worth it. :allears: God I love Dark City.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Demnos posted:

YMMV, but I really disliked Undernauts. The story starts good, but quickly went from feeling like I was playing a horror game to feeling really boring and low stakes. Combat was ridiculously easy; I just used autocombat for every battle except a couple post game boss fights were I spend a single turn casting buffs before going right back to autobattling. I still got wiped out pretty regularly, but there's a mechanic that lets you set teleporters so that you can just head right back to where you died much quicker than fighting properly would have taken. None of the levels felt unique or new and most skills you can invest points into are very unimpressive.

My wallet thanks you! I want to try it myself but not at 40$

Thinking about Elden Ring more. Hmm. I should install Dark Souls 2, I can’t play 1 after seeing three LPs of it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Instead of purchasing Elden Ring I decided to play Dark Souls 2, since I own it, and so far I'm having a good weird time. It feels like I've stumbled into somebody else's dream. I am a [person] who is being driven mad because my [zombie curse] has ruined my memories of some nice lady, and now I'm in a ruined kingdom stabbing zombies (and really tough pigs?) for souls, which I am giving to a lady in order to become more powerful.

Everything feels intensely familiar thanks to my watching of like 3+ LPs of Dark Souls 1 (it's a fascinating game) but also terrifying because I don't know where any of the traps or ambushes are, and the notes and bloodstains aren't reliable.

Also I managed to go through a long passage and make it to a kingdom(?) full of armored giant knights first and that taught me a lot about watching enemy patterns and dying. I later came back to the first "main" hub bonfire and found a much easier place full of trees and angry zombies.

I'm playing as a knight, as it starts with a big sword, and in Monster Hunter my best weapon was the greatsword.

(Bonus aside: I've played a lot of Nioh and enjoyed it, some Monster Hunter and enjoyed it - need to return to both to beat 'em - but none of the From games yet. I've tried Dark Souls 1 several times but between my first experience being keyboard controls (it was bad!) and the LPs spoiling it, I no longer want to learn that game. I want new stuff!)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I frankly said to myself, "if you buy Elden Ring will you play it / actually beat any of the bosses in it? be sure. play 2 first, it'll go on discount again in the future" and I'm having a good time, so this has worked out. I'll build up a skillset for ER, too.

I still need to pick up Dark Souls 3 at some point, but no rush on that - I'm doing my best this sale to not buy things I won't play.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

goferchan posted:

Honesty very jealous of anyone playing Dark Souls 2 as their first Souls game in 2023. I love the game but it's tough giving up some of the mechanical/QOL improvements from the games that came afterwards. You have a very cool and weird and massive game ahead of you.

I've always heard it was bad, but never quite pinned down why - I think it was the very disjointed, weird world design? I know DS1 is a masterclass in how to design a metroidvania map, but IIRC DS2 is messy / nothing fits together / it's very awkward?

But I'm trying to remember opinions I read from like a year or two ago.

I adore weird games almost more than straightforward fun ones. :allears: It's part of why I'm spending so much time with Othercide right now.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Blattdorf posted:

Consider wiping your wishlist before the sale ends. Either buy it now while it's cheap or just remove it. If it's good, it'll eventually make its way back onto the wishlist.

Unfortunately steam’s discoverability is bad, so… yeah, HopperUK is right. It’s a storefront.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I am so sorry to provoke soulslike arguments, I did not intend to. :sweatdrop:

Instead I'll report: I'm having a good time with Dark Souls 2! I'm also having a good time reading up this interview on DS2's troubled development and it's fascinating. I did not know it wasn't a) directed by the main dude in charge of the series, b) had to swap directors halfway through so they had to shuffle a lot, and c) originally seemed to be much more comedic than you'd think a Dark Souls game would be?

Very strange, but it makes the Giants Forest area more sensible, with how... brightly green it is, almost fantasy stereotype with your little tin men zombies and trolls and so on. I'm almost reminded of Illbleed for some reason.

I mean, I'm still dying and having a ton of fun poking my head around corners - or this. Going here and getting stomped while I learn to fight very large dudes is lots of fun, mostly because it's GORGEOUS.

Shoutout to the bloodstain photobombing me

also to how goddamn ugly I am thanks to repeated deaths to these big knights

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I've decided I'm going to take Blattdorf's advice and at least buy something on my wishlist that's cheap and that's been there for a long time. It has to be under 5$ and on sale or I won't bite today, so my candidates are...

Added in 2017:
Highlands, Deep Waters, interactive fiction
25th Ward: Silver Case, sequel to Silver Case. I enjoyed Silver Case but I waffle on this one.
Scavenger SV4 - roguelike simulator sci-fi thing

Added in 2018:
Bullet Witch - XBOX 360 third person shooter weirdness
OVERWHELM - sidescrolling shooter where the enemies get powerups and you don't
Hive Jump - roguelike sidescrolling shooter
CyberRebeat The Fifth Domain of Warfare - cyberpunk hacking visual novel

Added in 2019:
Swat 2 - XCOM precursor, real time
(removed a lot of pinball tables from this era as I'm not pinballing currently)

Added in 2020:
Wasteland Remastered - old weird rpg
Tinytopia - tiny city builder
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction - title says it all really
Plebby Quest: The Crusades - what if Crusader Kings, but simplified so you can understand it
LEGO Lord of the Rings
Legacy Realm of Terror - horror adventure game?
Microsoft Flight Simulator X Steam Edition - flying jets... that don't have missiles mounted :O

Stopping there - there's a lot more but also man... I should pick one and just own it already.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

victrix posted:

Any recommendations for good turn based tactics/wargames/empire builders? Not looking for stuff like Civ, Fire Emblem, HoMM clones, or full srpgs like FFT, more like pure combat games that might feature empire building as a means of churning out more cool units (Warlock 2 comes to mind). Definitely more interested in fantasy/scifi stuff with cool abilities/meta systems/etc. Or even weirdly orthogonal games like Alina of the Arena which is a hex combat deckbuilder.

Have you played Othercide? I wrote it up in the hidden gems thread.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

If I could use a memory-deleting gun on any video games so I could play it brand new for the first time again, it would be Obra Dinn.

e: Second game I'd pick would be a tie between Dangan Ronpa 2 and the Hitman 2016 trilogy.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

big cummers ONLY posted:

I bought the boomer shooter humble bundle last month and just want to make sure I can play these in any order. If not, which should come first?

Amid Evil
Dusk
Dread Templar
Forgive me Father
Hedon Bloodrite
Hellbound
Project Warlock

Dusk made me quite happy with its Blood vibes, I'd give it a go! Assuming you like horror and shotguns.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Wow, gross.

I uh, came in here to post about Project Zomboid and how much I enjoyed my session with it this morning. They added a new tutorial and refreshed the UI/control scheme and it's a lot easier to cruise around suburbia, hiding from zombies. (I still died.) It really captures the feel of sneaking around in an occupied, hostile zone... which weirdly reminded me of Homefront: Revolution.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

:allears:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My brother bought me Starcraft 2 for Christmas and I'm really enjoying co-op with him. I would like to play co-op with more people, but I generally don't do voice chat. Where could I go to post to see if anyone wants to play with me? I'm still testing all the commanders and leveling them up.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Isn't that the "friends" thread at the top of the board?

(People bring this up periodically and I mourn the co-op board on the goon discord, which died a quiet death without a single post after I suggested it)

Oh yeah! I peeked at it and decided to ask in here instead.

Thank you!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I can't wait to get this achievement!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Today, to my shock, I discovered that Dark Devotion, Death's Gambit: Afterlife and Vigil the Longest Night aren't the same game. Despite having very similar art styles, being in the same genre, and having similarly wonky stories.

Has anyone else played them?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Forspoken's dialogue clip sounds very Marvel movie-esque, which is OK.

I miss the dialogue and delivery from old-timey stuff ala Dragnet. Very bam-bam-bam serious and to the point. (I should replay LA Noire...)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Paid 1$ for the Ubisoft+, beat the Division 2 campaign in a week and I don't feel like playing any more of it (or anything else on their roster of games).

:ok:

e: Did you like it? What'd you hate about it?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

I played it when it first came out, and it ended with a fight against the evil zombie mastermind who is also your loving father, and zombie blood injections have somehow given him powers of superjumping and throwing goddamn kamehamehas

you beat him and then you find your adopted sister who always called you AYDENBABAYDEN, and you have to turn off her life support to stop missiles from destroying the city for...some reason

then there was literally just a black screen that says "You saved the city"

"how stupid can it get, Dying Light 1 was pretty stupid" ---- holy moly :eyepop:

That is incredibly stupid, thank you for the recap

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

So today, while screwing around while downloading a large game, I finally installed and played Lux Delux.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/341950/Lux_Delux/

My partner was all "wait why are you playing Risk?" and the answer is, this steam review:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/c0005/recommended/341950/

quote:

The real magic of Lux Delux is the absolutely staggering amount of content for it. That bit on the Steam page that says "over 900" maps actually undersells it because there's actually over 1000 and so far most of what I've played has been pretty good. There's a plugin menu that lets you sort and manage the different maps, I don't think they're all installed at the start since it seemed to initially go through a rotation of official ones, but you better believe I opened it up and and installed all of them (coincidentally I think I may have accidentally DDOsD's Sillysoft by doing this, their site seemed to go down shortly after... sorry guys!). The plugin manager is very well organized too, you can sort by name, author, date, and even the ratings people gave to a map.

Trying different maps and seeing the way people push RISK mechanics to their absolute limit has been a joy. Some of the maps have a highly polished sheen, others are experimental and don't even look like Risk, other are just a crusty JPEG but that doesn't play well at all and the span of two decade's worth of content is honestly just fascinating from a social standpoint so even the lesser maps are interesting. If somebody said "Hey, we made RISK but you can mod it" nowadays in 2023, I doubt there would have been a ton of content makers flocking to it, aside from perhaps people making their own versions of the game on Tabletop Simulator, but circa 2002, I could totally see a huge community forming, and making content for it. The latest map in the plugin manager seems dated to 2015 and Sillysoft's forums seem to be down (even before I may have accidentally DDOS'd their site by downloading all the addons. Sorry guys!), so even being a somewhat recent steam release you get the feeling that you're exploring an an abandoned internet community. It's like playing a real-life Risk-themed version of Hypnospace Outlaw where every map says a little something about the interests of the people who made it. One map that particularly fascinated me was this big treehouse map which on one hand was cool because it felt like you were playing a room-to-room squad based tactics game, but also because every room and territory was some weird injoke and it was frankly way overdesigned and too granular to really flow well as a Risk map.

The plugin manager also has info about the maps from the people who made them, and even links to their personal websites, many of which don't even exist anymore, but you can possibly find on the wayback machine. Some infoboxes have shoutouts to other Lux mappers, who they may have collaborated with or built upon the work of, there's a series of one risk map that got 4 or 5 different versions all tweaked and improved by different people. Sometimes there are little stories, historical information, or just the author writing what inspired them. It's an incredible look into a community that doesn't seem to really be around anymore yet produced a massive amount of work and I really hope the plugin servers stay up so we never lose it. Even just browsing and reading the listings in the manager is deeply interesting, and you can see the game and it's community evolve from the second shareware revolution of the Web 1.0 days, to something to something that became pretty polished and worked it's way into the early days of mobile phone games and survived into modern times, yet seems to have ultimately waned.

But beyond the sociological archaeology of digging through old mods, it's also just a darn good implementation of Risk. The presentation is minimalistic, you don't even see the dice rolls, but it's fast and to the point and still fun to look at. I had a Risk game on the PS2 where the characters would constantly talk and make fun of you and it was just tiresome, so I like the directness of it. The AI is also legitimately brilliant. I've had games where I've lost in like two moves and sometimes you just have to sit back and go "wait, where did that come from?". I feel like I'm actively getting better at Risk because it's really forcing me to consider all the different strategic aspects of the game. There's one map designed to look like a 200 Meter Olympic swimming pool and the whole thing is just a grid of lanes, and I thought it would be awful but it actually proved to be a brain-wracking math puzzle that I loved and I think the more conceptual maps do a great job really getting you to think about the game and it's mechanics.

And frankly I'm going to play anything that can be described as Hypnospace Outlaw

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Speaking of delisted games this isn’t on steam but:

"hey y’all don’t forget to migrate your mojang account if you haven’t cause if you don’t Microsoft is gonna revoke ownership of your Minecraft copy for literally no loving reason except to try to trap you into buying it again!

CUTOFF IS IN THREE DAYS (9/19/23).

Even if you don’t play anymore, don’t let these fools rob you."

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mordja posted:

Did anybody realize that WitchFire entered Early Access yesterday? Of course you didn't! It's an EGS game!

What’s a soychbfire?

e: What’s a witchfire?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Orv posted:

Sometimes I legitimately yearn for the days of like 20-30 game releases a year, even though that number is probably itself massively false and that’s just what it seemed like sonetimes compared to now.

Detach yourself from modern games, only play what you want. I've been playing Snowrunners, Nights of Azure, Lux Delux, Shadows of Doubt and Red Dead Redemption 1 and it's awesome

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ZearothK posted:

I was on ayahuasca this weekend and realized all first person games are an attempt at compartmentalizing and refining Garry's Mod.

Alright, and do they succeed?

It’s funny to me that garry’s mod exists separately from the cat people adventure game visual novel because that’s how I experienced it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Arghhh my brain is doing the thing again. I want to play monster hunter. I own and enjoy monster hunter world. I want to start a new character and play from scratch. But my brain is all "unless you buy iceborne you can't even install it. Complete the game or bust" I know Iceborne is endgame content! aaa!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

HopperUK posted:

My brain is trying to get me to buy Rise and its expansion even though I haven't even really started playing World yet. On some level I just want to own all the bits of something. Paradox and Frontier have so much of my money with their drat modular DLCs. I can't possibly play Planet Zoo unless I have ALL the animals.

I am - thank god - mostly immune to cosmetic DLC so I'm safe there but ahhhh i also want rise!!!! Will I play it this year? No! But I want it anyways!!!!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

why do ppl hate Epic? too lazy to use a different storefront?

i like their free games

irrational grudge that I will forever hold, caused by Phoenix Point (a game I kickstarted) announcing that it was going to drop the steam store and be epic exclusive instead, when I backed it for the express purpose of getting a steam key.

Thankfully I was later able to get a steam key from that so all is forgiven... but the grudge continues.

e: oh and hitman 3 came out on epic first for a year too. so the grudge got reinforced. I don't mind alternate storefronts (ubisoft, origin) but the way epic went about it pissed me off and I can't let go of that anger.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mr E posted:

Do people ask this question specifically to cause pages or derailment or is the years of arguments on these forums about this not enough?

Some people don't keep up with threads :shrug:

but also yeah here we go

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Anyways, in an attempt to help, I caved and got Iceborne and then I got silly with the character editor:

The fact I can do this without mods is really silly and I love it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You can see my face holes in some extremely specific shots and it's great lol

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I've hit a point with character creators where instead of trying to make myself or a character, I'll just find the silliest thing I can find and work around that. That way I'm no longer disappointed by body shapes or the inability to find the PERFECT hair style. :argh:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

This dumb article aside, the original Diablo actually was very close to a traditional roguelike with graphics.

I believe the original Diablo was actually made AS a traditional roguelike with turn-based combat before they turned off the turn limit and went "...hey this is fun let's keep it that way" and revolutionized a genre.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2134770/SteamWorld_Build/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdI3d6RjJDs

to those of you who don't know steamworld: it's a game franchise where each game is a different genre, and while they might not be the best games ever, they execute those genres competently and they're all good to great.

Steamworld Dig 1+2 are metroidvanias
Steamworld Heist is 2D XCOM where you can aim your own shots and use ricochet for silly trick shots
Steamworld Quest is Slay the Spire but for beginners

and now Steamworld Build looks like maybe it's Anno? Not sure yet, but I'm expecting it to be solid and worth a look.

Also every character is robots and it's awesome

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMTDNvYqTsI

:woop:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

tries to fight a volcano; loses

but my cat has new gear!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

goferchan posted:

Strix is this your first go-around with Monster Hunter? Have fun, World is great.

Second! ... but this is the first time the monomania has hit this hard. I'm playing Monster Hunter Freedom, 4U and World simultaneously and developing opinions on how the franchise has evolved over the years :pseudo:

Last time I made it far enough in to fight the world's coolest bat. This time I'd like to beat the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hadlock posted:

What game is your volcano boss fight from? Some version of monster hunter?

Monster Hunter World!

e: If you look at its steam page there’s a shitload of dlc. Literally all of it with one exception is cosmetic. The exception is Iceborne, which is an old-school expansion pack, with content you access very late in the game. If you’re new to Monster Hunter, base game World is a fantastic starting place.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 7, 2023