Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Personally I like Sekiro best because you never get stuck wondering if your gear is bad for a fight, if you should level more, if this is a fight where they expect you to use summons, if you're doing things in the right order, etc. The simplicity of just having one weapon and a few different side moves really does a helluva a lot for the game. Elden Ring is really good if you don't mind a bit of grind to get a new weapon up to par and can resist throwing yourself at the same enemy a hundred times though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

If you don't like blitzball, those dumbasses, or JRPGs in general then yeah definitely don't play FFX for 30 hours, you'll know if you'll like the game an hour in, maybe your opinion on the story might change

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

just to add, Armored Core (1, at least) also has an inverse of dragonrot where the more you game over the easier the game becomes, I personally prefer Sekiro to the Souls games because the build diversity without free respecs just makes it a bit grindy to me and it's unclear when you need that grind or when you just need to "git gud", but Armored Core actually does all of these things perfectly from the very first entry

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

how am i the butthurt one here

stux is agreeing with you

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I’d love to see “difficulty modes” play more with increasing and decreasing UI elements. Love the Ranger Hardcore mode in Metro except for the bits where they also don’t show the QTE buttons.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Grognan posted:

Dystopia?

Loved it back in the day, the cyberspace stuff was outstanding.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I think you're unfair on that hallway, I really like that sunny orange lighting there, but generally yes nothing in Division 2 is quite as striking as the beautiful and haunting snow stricken apocalyptic New York.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

you'll know for sure 2hrs 1min in

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

change it to a rabbit that walked on stilts

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

still most demos for Steam Next Fest seem to be hidden, though it starts on Monday. but I saw Darkest Dungeon 2 demo show up in upcoming with a "February" date, so that seems like it'll be a part of it.

you're missing The Great War

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Mr.Acula posted:

Otoh, is it worth it to get an Index just for HL:Alyx?

If you’re opposed to exploring other VR games? No. It’s like buying a console for just one game. Check out some other good stuff, like Beat Saber, Walking Dead Saints & Sinners, Hot Dogs Horseshoes and Hand Grenades, Blade & Sorcery, Compound and so many others as well.

Besides, an Index is overpriced anyway unless you have a good potential setup for base stations. Get a Quest 2 instead.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Serephina posted:

I don't know how to respond to that politely.

"oh that's neat, thanks"

"i see, i wasnt familiar with that"

"thanks"

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

LLSix posted:

I'm sympathetic to Serephina's OP, but this is still a good post.

yeah like, i get a little annoyed when people post about stuff and act like everyone should know the very specific thing, but acting morally superior about not knowing the thing because Japan is just such a bad look

No Wave posted:

Registered here since 2005, doesnt know what sentai is? Is that really possible?

No Wave posted:

it's power rangers. Sentai is power rangers.

like i take as much issue with this - if you grew up with power rangers as a child, not only do they not stop and say "this is based on super sentai, which is part of the tokusatsu genre", most people who grew up with power rangers did not keep watching it and probably forgot a lot about it even if they were super huge fans as a child, don't be an elitist poo poo because someone doesn't know your niche interest

come the gently caress on

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

No Wave posted:

You don't get it. In 2005 all anyone talked about here was power rangers, pants making GBS threads, and ecto cooler.

they might just have been around the pants making GBS threads threads!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Persona 3 Portable - the version that's been ported - is a treat, especially if you pick the female MC. They rewrote the majority of the game and it's way more fun.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Azran posted:

What's that game that looks very similar in artstyle to Octopath Traveller? People talked about it recently

Triangle Strategy

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Mescal posted:

"It was a different time. everybody called each other 'z***perhead' in the lobbies. I didn't even know what it meant!"

tbf that is an actual slur used against asians

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

its like every time people mention that the cannibals in the original arent hostile by default and tons of folks are like "whaaaaaaat but i hit them with my axe on reflex"

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I think they get mad if they see you cutting down trees though, which you kind of have to do if you want to build anything

you have an opportunity to back off and apologise, then go back to cutting things down elsewhere

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

So what's the DLC situation with Ace Combat 7? The super ultimate Top Gun edition is on sale for 20 bux and comes with...the Top Gun stuff and then also the season pass which looks to be 3 planes and maybe a few other minor goodies. But that doesn't cover everything. Is this a EDF style situation where you can throw more money down to get more wacky planes to choose from, but none of its essential or otherwise a big deal?

You want to get the missions. The three missions are the best Ace Combat content ever made, hands down. The Top Gun stuff is skippable, as are the other standalone planes. It's pretty much an EDF situation.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

moller posted:

The campaign is relatively hard sci fi and then the first DLC mission introduces a pair of bickering anime twins. It was pretty weird.

is this your first ace combat

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I hope they're ok

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Fun Times! posted:

That's not a good thing lmao

It's good in terms of Obsidian having plenty of licenses they're allowed to play with now

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

KazigluBey posted:

How well does it do the whole Immersive Sim thing given that it's proc-gen? Isn't it really hard to do the IS stuff and have it feel really, well, immersive, if it's fundamentally random?

I guess what I'm asking is, won't the fact that it is proc-gen be noticeable while playing?

The "immersive" part of the genre comes down to the highly grounded systemic interaction, and for that, I've seen no game do it better than Shadows of Doubt. Rooting through people's trash, seeing what channel they left their TV on last, re-dialling the last called number on their phones to find a lead - any lead - on a case quickly going cold, it's brill.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

are you suggesting this implies something nefarious? why is it a problem if there are anime kids in a video game? i'm deeply confused

consider why we have a rule about not equating anime watching or playing with pedophilia and what that says about some people's attitudes to anything anime

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, when you go pick up a large spider and it skitters away and hides and tries to make itself the smallest thing in the universe in the hopes that you won't kill it, gently caress, who's even the real monster.

it's a tactic! they're manipulating you! the only good spider is a dead spider

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

mystes posted:

If you have a spider in your kitchen you have insects for it to eat so if you want the spider to go away you would be better off focusing on preventing the insects from getting in

not all insects are creatures from the deepest pits of hell

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

secretly best girl posted:

From the outside it's sure seemed like it in the past year or two though. Avengers, Gotham Knights, Suicide Squad, Redfall, and this is just the stuff I've noticed as a non-loot shooter player, especially with all of them smacking of "had GaaS stripped out desperately"

if we're talking looter shooters specifically, it got really popular after borderlands made it work in first person, but smacking things and getting loot is old and has literally always been around

destiny's big contribution was a useless but pretty inventory menu

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Play posted:

well, it should be. and even if it's not meant to be a horror game, as an action/shooting game I guess, it would still be better in FPV imo

that is such a wrong take i can only assume you barely used melee

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

If I can't recharge my batteries by eating a glowing mushroom and then also talk to my bewildered support team about it, failed remake.
If I can't skip an entire boss fight by shooting an old man sleeping in a wheelchair, failed remake.
If I can't kill an enemy soldier who is then eaten by a vulture which I then kill/capture and eat myself only for the ghost of the soldier to return during a near-death experience chanting "You ate me!", failed remake.

to clarify on the first one, the glowing mushroom doesn't recharge your batteries unless you're told by Para-Medic that it recharges your batteries. it also doesn't actually recharge your battery, the bar goes up but the battery loss rate speeds up to compensate

you can also skip that boss by just not playing the game for long enough so that he dies of old age

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I could see a Gollum game, a stealth adventure across Middle-Earth, Shadow of Mordor/War except you can't fight back. But sadly they've hosed up and we aren't going to get a good proper stealth game for a long time.

Orv posted:

It was a joke about early lighting methods and chemistry :argh:

queen victoria, a classic girlboss

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

kazil posted:

Looking forward to a Grima Wormtongue game next

that's CK3 as an intrigue character

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I'm still waiting for my civil war game where I get to slaughter hordes of confederates (I will be waiting forever).

Though I would not want it to be historically accurate. A musket fps would be hard to pull off unless you're the groggiest of grogs.

Musket FPS is shockingly fun, Holdfast is the less racist one at the moment

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

CuddleCryptid posted:

Civil War (and other similar technology level) shooters are a gigantic pain to make because the nature of slow reloads means that you need something to prevent people from just shooting once and then running screaming at the enemy with bayonets. War of Rights does this through a somewhat complex system that punishes the team if you go out of line for too long, while others like Holdfast just have long distances from respawn mixed with inaccurate arms. Combat was more of a team sport back then and having people running around solo is hard to push back against.

That and the various buffs from officers and musicians in Holdfast, they have a lot of options there.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Yeah I just ran into this myself. Steam has absolutely given up on content moderation.

According to the queue info, it was suggested to me because it's "popular", so chances are a pretty big proportion of Steam users is gonna get that one served up.

ok but it doesnt just throw it at you, does it, it says "hey, its got these things, you can view it after putting your age in or you can just move on"

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

cant believe you just stole from the matrix ip, just like the ais

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

yeah it literally just means "in favour of a republic"

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

also non lethal is just a good challenge run for a stealth game, while nazi murder is really cool and good, something must be said for torturing and trolling them beyond just wanton slaughter

there are only so many testicles you can shoot

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

BrianRx posted:

There are 2 * (number of enemies) - 1 * (number of hitlers) per level.

1*number of hitlers is just the same as writing number of hitlers, your testicle maths is balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Foulbrood posted:

Having read almost nothing about it until now, can anyone give me a tl;dr on the hype surrounding Baldur’s Gate 3?

Is it going to be more Dragon Age than Pathfinder mechanically? Never played Larian’s Divinity games.

its more like pathfinder because its a dnd game, like baldurs gate 1 and 2 were, though it's a newer version of dnd