Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Mad Wack posted:

what's everyone's first purchase for 2023? i got chained echoes

Yakuza Zero, I played on PS4 at launch but my ps4 died and its been 6 years holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Dark Souls 2 rules because it actually felt like a sequel to Dark Souls in the way sequels to old NES games felt like sequels

It could have so easily just been Dark Souls 1: Part 2 - the expansion pack

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Foul Fowl posted:

i honestly don't think the dark souls 1 world design was very good

its actually the best designed videogame world ever op

Bumhead posted:

Other than MGSV, Dark Souls 1 is probably one of the most obvious and high profile examples of developers just running out of time and money. The drop in quality of assets and design after Anor Londo is absolutely drastic. If you stand around Lost Izalith long enough you can probably hear someone yelling "just ship it!" hidden in the ambient audio.

Lost Izalith rules, it rules that it's so plainly unfinished, the 30 demon dinosaur haunches just copy pasted every rules, the bed of chaos rules, those funny enemies with the tentacles and the massive mouth on top of their head rule. Dark Souls 1 wouldn't have been a better game if the developers had unlimited time and money, its awesome that theres a clear point where things got rushed, gimme a game with jaggedy edges anyday, yum yum

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Jack Trades posted:

My favorite thing about Dark Souls 2 is how you can start with one of the best weapon for beating the hordes of generic armored dudes, the mace, and then if you have pre-ordered you get to start with an upgraded version of that weapon, the homunculus mace.

I found there to be little to no reason to switch from it unless you were fighting two or three enemy types that weren't armored dudes.

as someone who played dark souls remastered start to finish with just a mace last year - drat

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i liked Sekiro but it frustrated me to the point of intense irritation so I just shoved on a literal game trainer and 1 shot everything, i completely cheated myself out of "the experience" by doing this but i'd rather do it that way than give up halfway through and never look at it again

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

This game owned

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i enjoyed the bed of chaos boss fight more than any boss fight in sekiro

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

ultrafilter posted:

I've never played a Dark Souls game and the only conversations I seem to miss out on seem to reliably devolve into stupid arguments. I think I'm OK with being left out of those.

same but assassins creed

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

HopperUK posted:

Any last minute buys that people grabbed this sale and found were unexpectedly great?

I've not played crash 4 yet but I just know it's gonna own

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

GreatGreen posted:

Is Crash Bandicoot 4 good? What's its main hook? I've never played any of the Crash Bandicoot games but I'm a fan of platformers like Mario and Rayman, which seem to look similar.

I've seen a lot of praise for it and I'm a huge fan of the series so I'll let you know in like a week lol, if you like Mario and Rayman then you should have a good time with it

but seriously, it can't be worse than Wrath of Cortex

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
whats the best platformer? (on pc) I really liked the Rayman games but I haven't played anything new from the past decade or so

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Never played Celeste and its literally the price of a meal deal on steam. Easy buy!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
all this talk of Crash Bandicoot being Dark Souls hard just makes me all :yeshaha:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

StrixNebulosa posted:

If I could use a memory-deleting gun on any video games so I could play it brand new for the first time again, it would be Obra Dinn.

mine would be dota except i wouldn't play it again

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Tiny Timbs posted:

Supposedly the Lost Ark devs are issuing Steam bans for old accounts with low playtime:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/10bh3oa/lost_ark_appears_to_be_incorrectly_banning_steam

So if you get a ban notice pop up in Steam that might be why!

lmao I played an hour on release and now I might have a big Steam ban warning show up on my profile

if they didnt want that to happen they should have made a good game and not diablo x anime + overwhelming currency system

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I almost forced myself to play Outer Wilds after bouncing off and seeing overwhelming critical praise for it, don't get me wrong I really enjoyed the game once I took the time to understand what it wanted from me but I definitely had to seek outside help at least a few times and had to almost motivate myself to keep playing which might be a huge red flag for some people but I'm glad I did it

I'm just kinda sad that once you've beaten it it'll never be the same again :ohdear:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

lordfrikk posted:

Thank you for all the answers re: Metal Gear Solid :tipshat: What about Metal Gear, is it necessary to play first?

no you start with snake eater so you follow the chronological timeline

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I tried to play the PC splinter cell recently, and the keyboard and mouse controls broke me 3 levels in. God bless let's plays.

Chaos theory rules tho

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm too dumb to grasp obra dinn. I liked those logic puzzles as a kid but my brain just can't parse that games systems

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Jack Trades posted:

Yes. Portal 2 was also fairly cringey.

Not as cringey as this post

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Volte posted:

Portal 2's dialogue works way better because Wheatley is supposed to come off as annoying and incompetent

Should have hired Ricky Gervais instead of Srephen Merchant

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fuckpot posted:

Titanfall 2: Ultimate Edition is $3.99AUD on Steam which is just a ridiculous bargain.

If you don't buy this you are a cop.

Titanfall is basically a first person moba, there's a gamemode with NPC soldiers you can murder before real players murder yo, also your ultimate is dropping a big robot from the sky.

Man I need to play some titanfall this weekend

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

big cummers ONLY posted:

I'm not certain, but Games Workshop is absolutely wild with their video game pricing.

And yet paying £35 for a 2 inch tall space goblin because it has 6 strength instead of 5 strength is what keeps the UK economy afloat

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

exquisite tea posted:

My gamer skills have only increased with age.

Actually true, I put every game on easy as a kid and only play mobas as an adult

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Delsaber posted:

Dave Lang is a hell of a dude

Yeah a mega rich company ceo that tried to crowdfund his mega rich company ceo buddy being able to drive a tank.

Hell of a dude

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Has Steam been a flaming wreck for anyone else in the past few months? Store pages frequently fail to load and purchases frequently fail to go through. It seems to play nicer in the browser than the app now.

Edit: I even had some "in library" flags missing on a big sale page. That's new.

Double edit: Also wishlisting takes multiple attempts now.

theres been a few times in the past month when the friends list would just not display or just flash up a chat window for half a second and not let me open it

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Spider: The Video Game ruled

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Shrecknet posted:

no lie Tales from the Borderlands is the only video game ever to make me cry.

Catch a Riiiiiide.....

Walking dead season 1 for me

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
there is a kind of unwritten rule amongst dota players that anime avatar players are the most toxic

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Realised this weekend that steam can list all your games by release date but mildly annoyingly it doesn't have a release date built in for - amongst other things - the 90s tomb raiders and some 40k dawn of war games.

Which is probably good tbh, I don't think playing games in release order would have got me much past 1990s Commander Keen!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

WarEternal posted:

I'm talking about people with the express intent of leaving a negative review. Not people that simply didn't like a game.

Some games are really really shite though

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

faantastic posted:

I think the answer is no after doing a ton of research but uhhh

Is there a way to hide games played on your steam profile? I do not care if my friends know I've played 1000 hours of boob puzzle game, however it's my shame and I'd like to hide it from others.

Your dota hour count should be shamefully on display at all times regardless of how low it is

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
There's a risk I'll sign up for gamepass and get access to every league champ again

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
At least it gave us the best healer in videogames - Lucio

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Bad Seafood posted:

I dunno what they were talking about but I'm always happy to say achievements are bad.

i just discovered retro achievements and yum yum

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I bought an 8bit do pro and its a good feeling controller but the analogue stick kind of disintegrated in half and I had to glue it back together so not sure I could earnestly recommend

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Fifteen of Many posted:

I started playing The Outer Worlds and I can't put my finger on why but it feels really hollow? Obviously the budget was smaller than a typical modern Fallout game but it just feels like there's so much less going on in the world that the kinda basic mission design isn't masked enough. I just did a quest series that boiled down to fast travelling back and forth between the same three or four points several times on the second major planet, occasionally fighting one of the two or three enemy types that the game has shown so far. I usually have a pretty high tolerance for games that people say are mediocre but this is just missing for me in a way that is surprising me. Also it seems like something is hosed up with the visuals, the day night cycle alternates between impossibly dark and wild neon haze.

Play outer wilds instead

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

K8.0 posted:

Deus Ex is an RPG, Thief and Dishonored are not.

There are no genres.

its a blurry line because thats 3 games with very different approaches to customization and coincidentally, literally 3 of my favourite games of all time

man i wish they'd do a dark project remake, i think the originals genuinely too old too easily go back to, the Dark Engine just hasn't aged gracefully

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
What's the best dpad on a controller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Jack Trades posted:

What the gently caress is it with modern rpg shooters and thinking that 90 seconds is an acceptable base cooldown for your abilities?!
loving nothing should be having a 90s cooldown in an action game unless it's a screen clear of some sort, maybe.

Ooo, someones never cast an Enigma black hole