Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

LLSix posted:

I'll second the recommendation for the Golden Treasure of the Great Green. It was so much better than I expected. If you like narrative stories, you really owe it to yourself to try it out.

I'll third it. Golden Treasure is well worth your time if you enjoy slightly weird narrative games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

the main thing to know about pyre is it's explicitly designed such that the story continues and changes regardless of whether you win or lose the nba jam match, you should avoid the urge to savescum win every single playoff

I lost every single boss battle in the game and still had pretty satisfying ending (although it doesn't really account for someone deliberately doing it).

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Blattdorf posted:

Consider wiping your wishlist before the sale ends. Either buy it now while it's cheap or just remove it. If it's good, it'll eventually make its way back onto the wishlist.

Steam discounts aren't deep enough for this to be true any more. I'm not made of money.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
What I wouldn't give for a proper FUEL upgrade. A beautiful game if not a very good driving game.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Two of the best narrative games of the last year just got bundled together for a slight discount:

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/29945/Cartoonists_Turned_Game_Devs/

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Good news nostalgia buffs

https://store.steampowered.com/app/346850/Chips_Challenge_1/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/348300/Chips_Challenge_2/

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Do zoomers like that type of writing maybe and all of us are just too old for it?

EDIT: I mean...someone must've thought that it was a good idea.

It's Whedonism so it's all Millennials in their 30s and 40s writing this poo poo 4 to 5 years ago if you account for AAA production time lines.

edit: regurgitated stuff a late Boomer was writing to sound youthful to Millennials

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Guy went to the Iowa Writers' Workshop to write this poo poo.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

kazil posted:

what's the deal with this game that disappeared from steam? The Day Before?

Is this some kind of scam game?

It's supposed to be a technical issue on Valve's side but people have been talking about smoke from The Day Before for awhile now

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Hi-Fi rush has tonne of poo poo going for it

1. Lovely post Spiderverse animation style
2. Some facial tech that makes characters super expressive
3. Devil May Cry meets rhythm game
4. Nearly EVERYTHING is on the beat, so it's actually pretty easy to keep your inputs on the beat on normal difficulty
5. But you don't have to there's a lot of way it doesn't restrict you to the beat
6. Like movement

It's like someone at Platinum decided to do their own version of Necrodancer

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 26, 2023

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Anyone who's well versed in the character action genre who can comment on how good Hi-Fi Rush's combat system is and what other games it's more similar to?
I'm always up for some more games of that style but what little gameplay the trailer shows doesn't look very inspiring to be honest.

It's pretty clearly based on Devil May Cry. There's a ranking system, heavy emphasis on mixing up combos and air juggling.

The base is pretty simple light attacks happen every beat, heavy attacks happen every two beats. You want to push buttons on the beat. When you finish a combo input there's a Beat Hit which adds a wrinkle to the combo if you press attack on the beat. For example, single target combos end with an area of effect if you hit the Beat Hit while others propel you into the air so you can start chaining air combos. You have a partner on your right trigger which can break shields or stun cancel or do a different type of attack on a Beat Hit. There's metered super moves as well.

Everything is about hitting the beat, so while you can dodge at any time, dodging on the beat allows you to chain three dodges together. Of course, enemies only attack on the beat as well.

I don't know if a character action veteran would like it as much as the best in the genre, but I found it fun on normal and there seems to be a lot of depth to what you can do.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
You can do a post-mortem on the release of a successful game. It just means a here's what we learnt session. At the same time lol there's no way that was a successful release.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Mordja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvQA1P3Akrk
Wait, did the original Solium Infernum have RTS battles?

none of these battles are RTS battles?

It's just animated units colliding on hex boundaries

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

There's a Mystery Sale going on.
Does anyone have a gameplay-focused game from the sale that they can recommend?

I really liked GNOSIA, a single-player game where you play matches of Werewolf/Mafia/Amogus, to learn about different characters and try to reach different goals and learn skills that make manipulating other characters more in-depth.
I really enjoyed the story in that one too, but the gameplay was really interesting and unique.

Here are some more mechanically focused games

The Case of The Golden Idol
Strange Horticulture
Late Alligator (if you like minigames)
Overboard (all about manipulating characters but in an adventure game way)

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I think it's a low effort troll to get some pearl clutching out of the thread

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Aces and Adventures is by the same devs as cult fave Ring Runner and shows the same attention to detail and high effort on the story telling side.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
EA is also about polishing the game based on people's feedback aka the Larain and Klei model of EA. Early Access then is just a marker of hey this game/dlc is unpolished buyer beware. Sometimes it comes at a cheaper price for early adopters.

It's fine, if you want the polished thing you can just wait and wait again for a discount. It's not like there's not a million other finished games to play in the meantime.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

i'm still here i just realized during my week long binge vacation in mexico not posting i don't want to post anymore

didn't realize that was my last post lol that would've been poignant

well now you know your absence would be noticed and i hope that's some kind of consolation in what ever mindset you're in now

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

Just watched a video about Rain World and now I wanna play it. I know this is subjective... but how difficult is the game?

Difficulty is near objective for Rain World everyone says it's difficult. Absolutely nobody starts out good at the game.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Both Golden Light and Demon Turf are supposed to be good if you're looking to buy what they're selling

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Pigbuster posted:

In case you've been wondering what Konjak's been up to since Iconoclasts, there's a little look at it here and he wants to do a proper reveal in September.

https://twitter.com/konjak/status/1633274830517592065

This made me check out what Cactus has been up to since Hotline Miami and it's mostly playing/promoting indie pixel art video games but he did kind of confirm he's working on/finishing up a game in 2022

https://twitter.com/cactusquid/status/1494890150899367945

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Warning

If you played the demo for Storyteller, you essentially played the full game.

Don't buy even at the launch discount, unless you like supporting the dev.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 23, 2023

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

I've. never. seen. the. tower. what are you guys talking about there's an entire orc based on the original boss?

Yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWR2mFOQZpE

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

FuzzySlippers posted:

Any recent cozy game suggestions? My wife is finished with Wylde Flowers (don't see it mentioned much but she adored it) and looking for something new. She is looking for a life/farm/witch/etc sim but with a proper story.

Played and liked: Stardew Valley, Cozy Grove, Dreamlight Valley, Wylde Flowers
Neutral: My Time at Portia, Harvestella
Not Liked: Rune Factory (stiff gameplay, overwritten stilted story), Animal Crossings (not enough gameplay and story)

Spiritfarer might appeal, very story focused.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Gamerofthegame posted:

one weird thing I've had about shadows of doubt is a whole lot of murder cases can bread crumb stuff like a evil date or capitalist thugs following the victim or etc but 9/10 it's just a matter of scanning the finger prints at scene, run to their workplace and check everyone's fingerprints

which is unfortunate but ea and the hooks are there. maybe I am getting really (un?)lucky

There's analogy that I can't find made by I think Emily Short about procedural narrative where you can make procedural white bread toast with a thousand different gradients of inputs like the time the toaster was set to, the atmosphere in the kitchen, the thickness of the slice, the heat of the toaster, the fibre content of the bread, etc. etc. but at the end of the day all the player is doing is putting the toast in the toaster and eating white brad toast.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Obduction was flawed but the parts that were good were very very good so I'm looking forward to Firmament

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
If I recall correctly a lot of classic Arkane people quit over the last few years

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Burning Rain posted:

this looks interesting, but what is the game actually called?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1885110/Cryptmaster/

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I played a few demos myself:

Six Ages 2: Lights Going Out

Not officially a Con demo but it still came out in the same period. The sequel to King of Dragon Pass prequel, Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind, set long after your clan from that game succeed in civilising. Apparently your save game will transfer over. Do you like King of Dragon Pass? If so this game is more King of Dragon Pass except the gods are dead/dying and everything is getting more and more hosed up. It constantly tells you that world is going to end and there is nothing you can do to stop it. For Glorantha lore heads this is set during The Great Darkness.

Verdict: Already wishlisted.

The Pale Beyond

Intimations of Sunless Seas except there's no freedom of travel and each crew member is a distinct individual with their own name, illustration and character arc. Lots of resource management ramping up as you play further.

Verdict: Already wishlisted

Death Trick: Double Blind

From a two woman dev team, one in America and the other in Shanghai, comes this resource management intensive Ace Attorney like set in a circus. The gimmick here is that there are two investigators one from within the circus the other from without, each only gets a certain amount of actions per time period before the game switches to the other. Add to this a time limit, an exp system and a fairly restrictive action point system and it'll be interesting to see if they pull off telling a compelling story with all these mechanics. The writing is a bit fanish but serviceable and the English reads smoothly. The circus setting is one of my least favorite mystery locations though.

Verdict: I love ambition and Ace Attorney style games. Added to my wishlist.

Harmony: The Fall of Reverie

The latest game from Don't Nod creators of Vampyr, Life is Strange 1 and 2, and Remember Me. The story is well, it's basically The Longest Journey, you know the drill, two worlds one mythic and the other mundane, the mundane has been affected by coportate over reach which has caused everything to get out of whack, you are the chose one who will restore balance. Gameplay wise it's a very high production value Visual Novel where you go from story node to story node, it has a very brisk pace unlike many VNs though. The big gimmick is that your allegiance flags are a resource of their own and you can plan ahead and manipulate them to achieve the result you want. However, I suspect that there are two bands of consequences, the resource use one which is highly tied to the mythic realm and the actual impact of your decisions made in the mundane realm. (The writing is a bit on the modern fantasy side for my tastes but YMMV)

Verdict: Don't Nod make interesting games and I've always wanted a big meaty VN made by a western studio with resources. Added to my wishlist.

Astronaut: The Best

Did someone say resource management? Well here's another game where resource management comes to the fore. Nominally, the game is about training astronauts to achieve outer-space missions. Functionally, the game is insane. There's gods, there's reality tv, there's spirits, there's dystopian politics... It's a lot to take in and the game (or at least the demo) throws you right in the deep end. A very individual feeling to the game's (John K inspired?) aesthetic and while that's laudable, the effect is janky as hell.

Verdict: Weird vibes/not for me. Not wishlisted.

Stray Gods: The Roleplaying Musical

The pitch is ex-Bioware narrative head leads a Tell Tale style narrative musical, with mid song choices. It's okay. There are three different base personalities/approaches to situations. The limited animation style only kind of works, the songs didn't work for me and kind of have to become different songs with each choice and if you mix and match the seams show. Felt like it was over compensating for its white guy creative lead. (There's like four demos in the festival that are about a woman in a band that really emphasise representation and a narrative fusion with music)

Verdict: As messy as this one is there could be something there. Added to my wishlist.

Times & Galaxy

The demo throws you in without much introduction but you're a new robot reporter on a space station newspaper. The gameplay loop is you walk around a scene talking to people for quotes and information. Then construct an article about the event in a fairly bare bones interface before getting a ranking on the story. Other than that there's a kind of social character interaction hub. The writing's not very good and it's very hard to know if a question is going to end an interview which means you frequently miss out on material for the news story. It doesn't feel great to see a bunch glaring gaps in the news story interface and no indication of how your could have done better. Most of the gameplay is walking, the spaces feel too big, too empty, while still having too many people in them and the conversations both too brief and too long. Didn't work for me at all.

Verdict: Not added to my wishlist.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

HopperUK posted:

This makes me insane too!

I'm eyeballing Shin chan: Me and the Professor on Summer Vacation: The Endless Seven-Day Journey since it's on sale on gamesplanet. I am only passingly familiar with the cartoon the main character comes from and don't know the game series it's an extension of. Is it fun? Cute? Relaxing? It *looks* fun and cute and relaxing.

Here's everything you could ever need to know about boku no natsuyasumi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=779coR-XPTw

boku no natsuyasumi

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

is there an example of a sequel that was fantastic but people hated it because it wasn't the first game and it took a really long time to make?

because like, psychonauts 2 took forever to happen and get made and it was very highly received by critics and fans

e: arkham city is another sequel following up a beloved game that was highly regarded even though i dont like it

Umineko wasn't well liked in Japan and the author basically in game says thank you bootleg english translators for making this worthwhile

It's hard to think of answers to your question because it requires a lot of things to happen 1. a successful first game 2. a meaningfully different second game in the same series (most devs just make a new game under a different brand) 3. a long dev time 4. existing fan rejection of the game 5. a different audience saying hey this is actually great

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 10, 2023

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

First I've heard of it, not that I doubt it's less popular than Higurashi. The anime bombed, but the anime adaptation was pretty poor. Do you have a link?

I thought I read it one of the interviews he's done. I know there's effusive praise (if slightly obfuscated) for foreign reception/translation along the lines of this work wasn't appreciated so much before it was translated in the last episode of Umineko.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Sab669 posted:

FPS but you have a health bar and a mana bar

that's a Heretic-like

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The Yakuza games are dense city block style games.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Dadelic have been making some of the consistently worst games for a very long time now

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is Blasphemous really a metroidvania? I guess you get powers that can create mobility to access new areas in preset areas but that's just a more complex version of a key for a locked door. I guess it depends on your definition because I consider it a soft soulslike and I wouldn't consider Dark Souls a metroidvania despite being focused around exploring the edges of the world for secrets.

It's a Knight-like or a Hollowvania

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

FutureCop posted:

I thought the immsim test was encountering a hallway with a turret in it:

*if that's all there is, it's an FPS
*if there's an airvent to circumvent it, it's a stealth game
*if there's an airvent and also a security station from which you can hack the turret, then it's an immsim

I dunno, I think it's always just something about airvents and keypads

and audio logs

The code for the security station has to be on an audio log

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Is it any less cringe worthy than 3? Because the trailers were painful to watch.

far less

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

The Kins posted:

Humble Choice is up.

Ghostwire Tokyo
Remnant: From The Ashes - Complete Edition
Curse Of The Dead Gods
Honey I Joined A Cult
Eternal Threads
Grime
Turbo Golf Racing
Meeple Station

A lot of stuff I've wishlisted but haven't bought inhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

FriedDijaaj posted:

Sometimes, my first-grade daughter and I play a game before bedtime. We recently finished "Return to Monkey Island" on my Steam Deck; it had a fun storytime-like vibe and was controller friendly.

Besides other entries in the MI series, does anyone have any suggestions for other bedtime-appropriate games? I'm leaning towards adventure games because there's usually reading involved, but I'm open to suggestions.

If you didn't already know there's a Humongous Entertainment Pack that goes on deep sale pretty regularly:
https://store.steampowered.com/sub/42723/

The Nelly Cootalot series might be perfect:
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/11144/Nelly_Cootalot_Deluxe_Bundle/

Burly Men At Sea:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/403290/Burly_Men_at_Sea/

Games I haven't played but are very highly ranked on the Hidden Gems chart:

Zniw Adventure
https://store.steampowered.com/app/904750/Zniw_Adventure/?curator_clanid=32686107&curator_listid=41983

Lucy Dreaming (may not be kid friendly)
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1532710/Lucy_Dreaming/?curator_clanid=32686107&curator_listid=41983

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 9, 2023