Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Someone linked steam 250 in the previous thread
https://steam250.com/

Cool site for finding hidden gems and good deals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

- Is Elden Ring any easier than Dark Souls? I like the idea of exploring a huge open world, but I kinda suck at the genre.

Yes and no.

I think spirit summons do a good job of mitigating some boss fights, but late game bosses are kinda nutso. I will say I haven't played since like April so maybe there were some balance patches.

Overall it's a really good game and worth playing.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Honestly, if you strongly disliked the characters and story from one Final Fantasy you'll probably dislike all Final Fantasies

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

ymgve posted:

On a positive note, Six Inches Under is just as good and possibly even slightly better than the base game.

hard disagree

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Phigs posted:

I got stuck in Supraland and quit it. It was just after the point where you make a health drought by putting a wet sponge and a red seed into an underground device. Past there you can get into an area where there's a barred window and if you do it a certain way the door closes behind you and there appears to be no way forward. Or back.

The way back is completing the zone and getting the device in it. You are stuck on purpose.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

DerekSmartymans posted:

Bought Hades & Pyre both in the sale. Hades was the main draw, but I loved Bastion and Transistor, just never heard much about Pyre. I’m such a fan (and anticipated being a fan of Hades!) of the two Supergiant games I figured for $5 I’d go ahead on in with Pyre anyway. My internet is 4G cellular, so I won’t be able to play either game till tomorrow, but I’m excited. Transistor especially moved Supergiant into “buy just to support the devs” category. Maybe that could be a new wishlist tag or something…any “wish I knew before starting” tips for either?

Have you tried https://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Category:Games yet?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Perestroika posted:

The sale finally moved me to pull the trigger on Kena: Bridge of Spirits, and so far it's a very cosy and pleasant experience. It's very much got the vibe of a Pixar movie turned into a game. :3:

I didn't much care for the game. Really felt like 99% of the effort went to the art and graphics, which look amazing, but the gameplay is terrible.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

DS2 feels like a lot of ideas thrown together. Which makes sense when you realise it's the only one not directed by Miyazaki.
It's got flaws but also some brilliant bits that haven't been surpassed since. Like the rat covenant is literally the most fun I've ever had ruining someone else's day. I maxed out every one of those traps.

Small white soapstone is one of the greatest things ever in Dark Souls and it's a shame it's never been seen since

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Only 65% off? I'll leave it on my wishlist for when it's 75% off next sale

*repeat for years*

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

OzFactor posted:

So here's a question that is likely to rile everybody up: I didn't ever play Doom 2016 but I always wanted to. But now because I can't ever remember to cancel Humble, I have Doom Eternal. Obviously I'm not asking about the story of a Doom game, but is there any particular reason I shouldn't play Eternal first?

It's no biggie.

DoomE plays a bit different than Doom2016, and the story matters so very little. Have fun just going in and murdering a bajillion demons.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

sekiro's not a souls game.

Dunno, it has a poison swamp

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Sekiro has a giant ape that farts on you and tosses its poo poo at you

10/10 game

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Remember, there's no Lunar New Year sale this year, so next big sale I think will be late March

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Yes.

OP didn't say 2D only I don't think

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Real problem is devs make these huge open worlds and got nothing to put in them

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Personally I love fast travel.

I can walk in real life big deal

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

When I think about a game not respecting my time, it's usually in reference to what the game has me doing, and the first commandment of Tim Rogers: "Thou shalt not presume the player has nothing better to do than play your game." Because I do have something better to do, even if it's just playing a different game. There's a kind of busywork some games lob at you, sometimes optional, sometimes not; things to do in our video game so you have more things to do. I see this in a lot of Ubisoft-style open world games. Climb every mountain for a checkbox. Collect every thermos. There's 300 of them scattered across the map. No hints, no puzzles, no challenges, sometimes even no benefits or unlockables. You'll get an achievement though. You like those, right?

And yes, usually it's optional, but that's besides the point. They put something tedious to do in their game with the barest of incentives to actually do it, with the expectation (and understanding) someone, somewhere will do it. That person might not be me, but it's still bad practice.

lol how are you going to be upset about something optional that somebody that isn't you might do?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

It might be coming to PC...
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/ace-attorney-creators-ghost-trick-could-be-heading-to-pc

It'd be a good time for them to release it since low-poly looking stuff seems to be having a bit of a renaissance.

Cool, I have to check it out after I finish Bloodborne on pc

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Volte posted:

Okay I think I'm finally done with Tunic once and for all. This Garden Knight boss is a complete slog. Most attacks take away 99% of my health and even though I have 5 estus flask charges, that still only just barely refills my health bar one time because each charge barely does anything, not that I often even have a chance to chug one. I do about 1/100th of its health per swing so the most I've ever held out was about one quarter of its health. Occasionally the same attack will hit me twice a quarter of a second, killing me instantly. Plus the isometric camera swinging around is completely mindfucking me.

God mode?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Who the hell would pay money to read about video games on an online forums?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Xander77 posted:

I honestly don't get it. Even if people don't give a poo poo about Rowling one way or the other - it's been years since the last movie AND there were already a bunch of HP games, all of them quite terrible.

Harry Potter fans have never read another book.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Watching a gameplay video for that Harry Potter game, it is going to be extremely mediocre.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Deakul posted:

Having grown up with all things Harry Potter, haters vacate.

I've been dying for a game like this for years and I just finally had a look at some gameplay videos, I was expecting it to look like a dogshit mobile game or something based on what everyone here's saying.

Skipped around this video and it looks glorious, the fact that you can ride a hippogriff kind of sells me immediately and that these are treated as actual animals that you can take care of.
Don't have to kill monsters, a lot of them are sentient so you can actually talk to them to get their resources.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS4qPq20aVo

It looks cozy as heck, I hope it isn't as bad as the developer's pedigree makes it seem like it could be.

lol the gameplay looks like dogshit

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

gently caress Moby Dick, leave the whale alone rear end in a top hat

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Resdfru posted:

It's a pointless debate anyway. Harry Potter is the 8th highest grossing media property ever. It's gonna sell a gently caress load and nothing anyone says is gonna change that

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises

100% did not see #1 coming at all

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

Skellige felt kind of weird because a lot of it centered on the water and the water combat always felt extremely phoned in. It's one of the parts of the game where the seams of game development struggles looked really obvious.

Didn't help that it was like 80 hours in to a 100 hour game. The burnout was real by Skellige

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

The real Witcher 3 combat was Gwent

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

K8.0 posted:

Is there a mod where there's a Todd Howard companion and you can impregnate him and then after two real life years he gives birth and the baby is a new Skyrim release?

Buddy, there are dozens

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

chglcu posted:

I play soulslikes quite a bit and I found all the mechanics Nioh 2 throws at you right away pretty overwhelming and dropped it fast. No idea if I would’ve had a better time of it if I’d started with 1, haven’t tried that one yet.

I've beaten all the soulsborne stuff and Nioh 1 was too much and I bounced off it pretty hard

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

If the mystery and exploration doesn't grab you, you aren't going to like Outer Wilds :shrug:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I have never died in a video game.

I haven't even died IRL

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Gromit posted:

Yeah ok, this is a red flag. An exploration game where you need to solve mysteries but also have a strict time limit AND have the do the same thing over and over is sounding like something that will not appeal to me. But I'll give it a bit more of a shot and see.

Sounds like you are looking for a reason not to like it. If that's the case, just refund it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Black Griffon posted:

It's not an unfair thing to be wary of. We must be fiery in our proselytization of that wonderous game, but temper it with tolerance where necessary.

I get the frustrations, for sure. The spaceship handles oddly and doing things on a timer can be stressful. But it sounds like OP is trying to get us to convince them to keep going with a game they aren't enjoying. If the mystery of the game isn't enough to get past some of the more frustrating mechanics than it just might not be for you.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

What about Snake's Revenge?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Metal Gear Rising is also very fun

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

some of the best games are bad games

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

mystes posted:

Mahjong solitaire isn't actual mahjong....

sure it is, it's right there in the title

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

actually, as the supply of new games is dropping, the price of them will rise, due to the law of supply and demand. people are forecasting the price of PS5 games to hit infinity dollars in 2025

Dark Souls 3 will finally go back on sale at 25% off infinity dollars

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

real yakuza use a gamepad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

K8.0 posted:

If you've ever considered buying Factorio, buy it now. The price is going up $5 on Jan 26. It's good enough that I would still tell people to buy a 6 year old game AFTER the price increase, but definitely before.

They are raising the price of an older game that never goes on sale? What's up with that?