Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

video.

games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

see also the series of regdate smilies like :regd06:, :regd09:, etc

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

If I could use a memory-deleting gun on any video games so I could play it brand new for the first time again, it would be Obra Dinn.

e: Second game I'd pick would be a tie between Dangan Ronpa 2 and the Hitman 2016 trilogy.
Outer Wilds, no question. Tunic is a (very) distant second, not from low quality or anything but OW is just so far ahead of everything else in my mind

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Volte posted:

Is there some trick to making Tunic not feel just demoralizingly punishing without just turning on god mode or whatever? I got to a part where you have to get past some alligator things (along with some flying laser enemies that come out of the wall, for reference) which are easy enough to face by themselves, but there's one spot where multiple ones aggro simultaneously and it feels like it's not even possible to avoid death once that happens. I've probably made like 40 attempts over the course of a couple of weeks and not come close to doing it. I've beaten Sekiro without dying, but these motherfuckers are on another level. They run and attack too fast to run away (and seemingly chase you forever anyway, even if you could get away), they attack out of phase which each other so there's no opening for attacking, even blocking with the shield doesn't seem viable because I run out of stamina so quickly and half the time the angle isn't quite right so the block fails anyway. And I can only take like two or three hits from them before dying.

The game seems up my alley in theory but this is a brick wall and the level of punishing difficulty just seems totally at odds with the frankly undercooked combat system and ostensibly exploration oriented game design.
the crocs are such complete dicks. i bomb the fuckers every time until i have a certain late game upgrade; i think 2 firecrackers'll do the job

failing that all I can suggest is dodge rolling into and past them, take 1-2 swipes, repeat, try to get out to breathe at 1/2 stamina. good luck

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

this post has revealed that you have not played outer wilds

play outer wilds
:emptyquote:

:justpost:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 8, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

:ocelot: to everyone who completed That Puzzle without using the internet.
i needed help with page 9, i just never managed to make the mental connection because who the gently caress looks at load screens when continue's an option? pretty funny trick in hindsight but boy was i annoyed at the time

the moment of epiphany i had when i figured out what to do for That Puzzle stands out real bright in my memory

(e) i'll agree that the combat was kind of a load of arse; it takes until 3/4 of the game is over to get an upgrade that makes it more fun & less difficult. at least some of the boss fights were really cool on aesthetic grounds

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 9, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Triarii posted:

It could be cool if there was, like, an open-world take on Descent. Fly around a galaxy Freelancer-style looking for contracts, but then all the nitty gritty of combat and discovery happens when you enter a derelict space station or planetary ruin and everything's much closer quarters.

i'd like this a lot too

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I never realized I wanted this until you said it, and I don't even like Descent specifically.

:same:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i hate that star citizen is the scam it is instead of something real i can look forward to playing :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

repiv posted:

valve removed the "transphobia" user tag from hogwarts steam page

nice while it lasted i guess

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

Eagerly anticipating a "I don't get the hype, this just seems like a mediocre rpg shooter" post as the wilds/worlds distinction claims another soul.
shh don't curse it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

wasn't threatening legal action over every petty disagreement pretty much his whole gimmick for decades?
more or less. i wonder if he ever actually took those actions (probably not)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

what is it that supposedly sucks about LAD's mahjongg anyway

mahjongg is fun (admittedly i only know riichi, but)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i mean neither can ichiban, or kiryu for that matter!!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

Still stuck in La-Mulana 2.

This is the closest I've come to wanting to use a guide. I keep opening google and then closing it. I'm still enjoying it, and impressed I've gotten this far on my own, but I've just been circling the drain on this one specific puzzle for like ten hours now, half-solving other puzzles around it I can't actually complete until I punch through this one.
tbh i would have looked it up weeks ago because being stuck for that long would have guaranteed i'd never finish the game

not worth sucking all the fun out in the name of purity or whatever

(e) i definitely get it tho

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 18, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

just got a notice that Rain World: Downpour is out today

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

lets hang out posted:

This seems to be messing up with transferring existing saves to their new location so if you're in the middle of the game you might lose progress. Might be caused by the update instead of the dlc, I dunno. They're working on it, probably.

You also can't select the new slugcats campaigns until you've completed the game as either the base white or yellow one, although you can just unlock all of them from the new accessibility/cheats menu if you want.

Also if youre using a currency other than like USDs or euros you might hold off on the dlc, regional pricing is real jacked up. They're working on that too.
has the original campaign been changed much, or maybe the original slugcats themselves? (controls, mechanics, whatever else)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

lets hang out posted:

I don't know, doesn't seem like it but all the pre-release stuff has focused on the new characters. There are some new/modified rooms, bug fixes, loading screen tips, and more tutorial popups around, but I haven't heard of any substantial changes to the 3 existing characters.

Think all of the new regions/creatures are exclusive to the new slugcats campaigns. I've only seen bits of a couple of them. They start in the original world, maybe with some changes due to when they occur in the timeline (yes, there is a timeline), and you're free to piddle around there with their unique abilities, but they each conclude their respective campaigns in huge new locations specific to them. They're gorgeous, extremely high effort, and there's basically nothing of them in the trailers. It's wild.

They've patched the save transfer bug now btw
neat. i never beat the game before, i got super frustrated and quit at one point i was trying to get through an area that was all ceiling hangings

also i find the extremely limited fast travel to be really irritating

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i'm 1h50m into finally trying out obra dinn and i'm 90% sure i've completely bounced off of it

its making me feel like a complete dumbshit inobservant idiot by telling me I can ID a guy with what i've seen, and i absolutely cannot

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 20, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

super-genius spotted

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

^^ (ed) Oh hey, :same:

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, as a piece of art and tech, Rain World is super impressive. I'm glad it exists and I'm happy to have patronized its creators with my money. When you're playing though, trying to navigate the Exterior, and emergent enemy behavior and semi-randomized placement keeps congregating five invisible lizards right next to the single drainpipe you need to access, on the other side of which is a giant jelly spider thing that nabs you immediately, I start to lose patience with it as a "Game."

In the parts of the game where it's open and non-linear, it works like a charm. Whenever it funnels you somewhere, however, it gets a bit dicey.

This is the situation I'm in right now. Damned advisor guide fucker led me through the part of the Industrial Complex that leads to the Shaded Citadel before I realized I was on the hard route, and trying to get back to wherever I got off-track has been... well, now I'm better at fighting lizards, annoyed with scavs (& they me), piss-scared of vultures, and no closer to getting back :smith:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 22, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i think it'd be legit faster for me to get back to that junction by simply starting over lmao

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

current Rain World status because idk where else to post and I'm really annoyed: goddamn overseer did it to me again

this time i'd just found my way from the shoreline to the shaded citadel, whereupon I got extremely lost in the horrible dark and got eaten several times, until the overseer popped up again... and led me back to Industrial Complex instead of the next area! So now I've got to run back through, somehow find 4 food along the way, then figure out how the hell I get that little shithead pointing me in the right direction

how this game remains compelling when it foists this poo poo on me I'll never quite know :tizzy:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

still lost and kind of annoyed at Rain World in the Shaded Citadel, on the one hand

but on the other hand, wheeee :buddy:
https://i.imgur.com/wWLhECb.mp4

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i'm still busily getting badly jump-scared and chewed on by horrible centipede-spiders atm but thanks for the advice :tipshat:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

lets hang out posted:

Glad you're sticking with it. There's cool stuff over there so have fun, but you're probably going to end up heading back to Shaded Citadel eventually so here's some guidance for getting through there if you want it: once you're inside, head to the bottom of the citadel, into the sewer part where it's half flooded and there are big seaweeds trying to eat you, then head all the way right. That's where the yellow guy should be directing you. separate tip for big seaweeds if you need it: hit them with a spear or any thrown object and you'll be safe to swim by for a few seconds. this actually applies to almost every enemy in the game, they all recoil when injured and can't bite you for a bit

i finally made it to the memory crypts part of SH, and... the overseer's still pointing me left, back the way I came? like, i'm vaguely aware already that i'm trying to get to the Exterior and from there to Five Pebbles, and I know I'm going the right way to achieve that, so wtf is the overseer trying to aim me at? the harder way 'round, assuming such exists?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

lets hang out posted:

Did you visit Looks to the Moon and actually see the robot thing inside? I assumed you did since you were nearby. If you did and it's still pointing you there then it must actually be bugged. Like the yellow thing's whole itinerary is: 1.) Make sure you lay eyes on the thing inside LttM, and then, if you haven't upset it, 2.) Direct you to the Shaded Citadel and on upwards.

Oh yeah, met Moon, awkwardly left without touching anything, overseer's holos all changed to the neuron fly outline. It led me through the Shoreline to the Shaded Citadel, and then insisted I cross the bulk of the Citadel to get to 5P the back way (I guess? map's hard to read lol). Only unfucked itself when I made it to the start of The Leg.

Weird bug I guess!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

wait why're people baggin on people what skip cutscenes

or is this some irony thing, i really don't care to parse that poo poo anymore

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

mistermojo posted:

I forgot how incredibly creepy the the spiders in Rain World are. it doesn't help that a dead one wound up in my shelter somehow
the centipede-spiders are so goddamn awful I hate how they move :cry:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

anyone else playing Hi-Fi Rush have the onscreen button prompts switching back to keyboard immediately when there's no controller input? like it'll say E key, I press A on the controller and it switches to the xbox button prompt then go right back to the E key

it seems to work okay but it's driving me to total distraction

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've had this issue in the past caused by Steam's Desktop controller configuration, which makes gamepad buttons double as keyboard keys. Some games seem to not be able to ignore the desktop configuration when playing the game (and it definitely happens with non-Steam games using a controller while Steam is open). Not sure if that's what's going on for you but here are instructions for disabling it:
https://github.com/Davidobot/BetterJoy/issues/991 (Look for the second option under "Two Solutions")
oddly now the game refuses to recognize input despite changing to controller prompts (and staying there) when i press a button

(e) i'm trying to play on gamepass, that's probably important. i've also tried exiting steam - no dice

(e) i just tried a dualsense with DS4Windows running, and that worked fine :pwn: I'm beginning to think 8bitdo controllers are, in fact, bad

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

Fwiw I use a switch pro controller personally and I have had the exact same problem with gamepass games. I think I just take for granted how convenient Steam is for gamepad config stuff
unfortunately now the dualsense is doing the same thing where the game clearly recognizes I'm hitting buttons on a controller but doesn't actually do anything

whatever, guess i'm not going to try Hi-Fi Rush after all :(

(e) then it decided to work on the next try. i don't even loving know anymore, computers are bad

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 27, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

tildes posted:

Tried Rain World again now that Downpour is out, and coop has really helped me get past the opener and get into the game. It did feel like I needed a little bit more info than the game gave me, but by and large has been fun figuring stuff out. Also as the movement is starting to click more and more it’s super satisfying.
yeah the movement tech you can do, none of which the game shows or makes you learn, is pretty nutty. be the anime martial artist, slugcat

(e) I just got out of "5P"; that was really cool, if as aggravating as rain world always is :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 29, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

lets hang out posted:

^ congrats! Did you take the Unfortunate route or the other one?

The new loading screen tips do show you how to do each of those moves individually, it's up to you to put them together
yeah those loadscreen tips are pretty handy. i've only seen it demo the slide though, not the backflip or down-throw

i skipped UD because gently caress that for a bag of chips, i recognize a bullshit hardmode route when I see it - and yes I did feel vindicated when I checked the wiki map afterward :v: ended up avoiding most of RTA as well, as it turned out

taking a little break from it today, but i'm debating how to get where I need to go now. i'm 99% sure I could passage back to Outskirts and go through there to the Depths by that newbie-trap route, rather than dealing with the awful chimneys (I hate vultures), if I want to finish quick - which I kind of do, before the game overstays itself on me

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 29, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

lets hang out posted:

First time I played I (and most other people) didn't know there was another way because it's easy to miss :negative:
it definitely seemed like the obvious route, but if this game's taught me one thing it's to be quick about trying (and looking for) alternate routes rather than stubbornly throwing slugcat after slugcat into the jaws (or, uh, cancerous tentacle blobs?) of doom

(e) this did not pay off in the shaded citadel of course, if you recall :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 29, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

LLSix posted:

This would honestly be pretty entertaining.
i'm a little sad now that that's not a Severed Steel mod or something, yeah

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

lets hang out posted:

hey so found your problem, maybe

whoops!
lmfao that'd do it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

PSA not to update/restart the steam client if you have it running, an update has made the friends list/chat appear as a black box which was previously a rare thing you used to be able to fix but this old thread on the steam forums just blew up with mentions of it starting here so it seems to be broken for everyone.

yeah i just got hit by this, p weird

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

An insane fix for this that worked for me: from the friends dropdown at the top of the steam client, set your status to invisible, then offline, then invisible again. friends should load properly at that point and you can set to online from there.
thanks for the tip! why did that work :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also even as someone who sort of understands it, in no way was BG-era Armor Class a "human level formula". it was designed by madmen
if you say "THAC0" three times into a darkened mirror you summon the Ghost of Gygax