Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

hello new thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

I've never had Slack do that, only people who don't know how to use threads. Seems to be the same people who reply with 3 words at a time and 10 messages to say what they wanted to say.

I feel attacked

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

hell yeah

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have a post on the job fair thread with a link to my orgs job board, see if there's anything in there that looks good to you

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My favorite excel quirk is that it is incapable of having two files with the same name open, even if they are at different locations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Good luck!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

One of my hills is automated cert lifecycle and I have put a bunch of effort into it at my current org to make the experience better, but we still get app teams that just completely drop the ball.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

Just in time for me to cry about my home project that involves trying to automate LE cert deployment for my ldap auth

Jesus why is this so hard?

I did LE certs for ADFS at my last job

I think for ldap auth you might be better off with a mini-pki though

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

They tried to demand a letter of resignation, and I pointed out that I never worked for them in the first place.

lmao, this is fantastic

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

wolrah posted:

Don't forget the ever-popular "dialing a wrong number that's entirely broken and doesn't work on any phone". Every other thing about the phones is working fine, but calling one number doesn't work and it's "phones are down"

this was extra fun when I was managing a phone system because I live in a state where we only have one area code

for a long time if the number is long distance, the area code is required, but if the number was local, you couldn't use the area code

people would have all kinds of problems with this because cell phones helpfully connected the call regardless, so the tickets were often "can't call number from desk phone, works on cell phone, phone system sucks"

I spent a whole lot of time building a translation table with local prefixes in it so people could dial out without this issue

last year the phone companies got together and decided everyone needed the area code all the time

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

don't get shot

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

related, when I did consulting, this gem of a human was a client of mine:

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/crime-justice/2016/06/15/former-fairbanks-chiropractor-sentenced-in-murder-for-hire-plot/

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

evobatman posted:

I'm working with thousands of IT and Information Security people, and a loving single digit including myself number of people who actually know poo poo about computers.

I would never include myself

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

got to see that unfold live in the secfuck thread, it was fun

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

some aftermath

stoopidmunkey posted:

it was performed by a third party and apparently I made someone cry. my boss thinks it’s hilarious.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Shugojin posted:

that wonderful feeling when your backup works perfectly and you get to watch a dumpster fire instead of being in the dumpster yourself :allears:

not unrelated, our org-wide code signing cert expires in 6 hours

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Here's to hoping there isn't a follow up to this later tonight.

We ended up building and deploying an entirely new code signing workflow yesterday, and today is being spent making sure the various app teams are able to change their processes to match.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I very much doubt this is the end, we believe in you

A friend of mine took a detour through the kroger electronics department in between tech jobs, but he made it back in. You will too.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

thousand eyes is what we use

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i am a moron posted:

Dynatrace or app dynamics or app insights if it’s on azure. I would not recommend anything from Cisco personally

those are all tools you would use if you were the one publishing the app/website which I don't think is what thants is doing

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Happiness Commando posted:

Of course you did. You got this

not emptyquote

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You got it, that interview was for them to convince you.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Never any doubt :yotj:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

there will always be new stories

sometimes the characters change

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

[SPAM] FW: RE: New Ticket - Portland is slightly cooler now

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

why are you not using sso and mfa

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

smh at anyone that has to read through the thread and didn't experience it when it happened

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

A Frosty Witch posted:

I don't get my first paycheck until February.

A full six weeks to first paycheck is insane

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

if you enter domain\user in the hostname field it will interpret domain as a netbios host name which I think will be whatever DC is serving your dns

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

yeah, eye searing bginfo screens are the pro strat

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

What is clear and obvious to you is not always clear and obvious to someone else.

I used to have a word template that had all the intro stuff on it including their username and password and used mail merge to populate the fields from a csv. That would get included in their onboarding packet by their manager.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

hi

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Darchangel posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAa.... wooo...

TLDR: LOL. LMFAO, even.

The only actual tasks that should be done for a new employee by IT are account provisioning and equipment distribution.

Everything else should be done by some combination of HR, Payroll, that employees managing chain.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You have one problem, you use regex to solve it. Now you have two problems.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

whenever I need a regex for something I paste to test data into regex101 and fart around for 20 minutes and it's good enough

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Move to Ireland. In the middle of summer it technically doesn't get dark at all.

grew up in a place that had that, was pretty cool

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ssb posted:

Ireland isn’t even close to the arctic circle, what are you on about?

civil twilight is awesome

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

what sucks is when the sun hangs on the horizon forever shining right in your eyes

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GreenNight posted:

You all had bios passwords? Never have I seen.

bios password to change bios settings was pretty common in my experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Agrikk posted:

Wh… what?

Firefox can trace its lineage to Netscape Navigator?

Well how about that.

firefox can trace its lineage all the way back to ncsa mosiac