Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I got a help desk job years ago from RH, and they were just awful to work with, never again. The company I was working with ended up ditching them as a recruiter after my 6 month contract to hire term was over with because they were so lovely to work with.

Thanks Ants posted:

Congrats. Not appearing desperate for the job is probably a positive.

Going into interviews when you dont need the job with a take it or leave it attitude is absolutely beneficial. The best interviews end up being back and forth conversations and going in with a relaxed attitude definitely helps that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The random dumb recruiter crap just comes with the territory. If its the majority of job offers youre getting though, than your profile probably needs work.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

bell jar posted:

Not to be an rear end in a top hat but did you guys pick up the phone and call them at any point? People don't read emails

What? People ignore phone calls and voice mails all the time. If they can't bother to read their emails after multiple attempts to reach out that shits on them.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

It's been years since I've had to work on this, so take this with a grain of salt.

The biggest pain you'll face is all of the various forms of supplicant applications you'll need for devices. You'll get 90% of the way there easily for Windows hosts for example but that last 10% will have some sort of pain in the rear end error that slows you down and causes Helpdesk to hate you.

God forbid management wants it everywhere and you have to start figuring out how to get big office printers to work with it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Wasnt that one of the original push backs to VOIP? That regular copper lines still had enough juice in them to work during power outages and stuff?

Old telephony is just so interesting to read about, but Im glad I dont have to work with it. Though I am old enough to have used a butt set and done some work with the old POTS stuff.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've got a rescued HP Laserjet 1320n that was going to get tossed out of an office years ago. Its at 130,000+ pages and shows no signs of slowing down.

They can build good printers that last, they just cant make as much money doing it that way and have instead decided to pivot to "Printing as a Service" with your own hardware that you already purchased.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

VooDoo donuts peaked in 2002 and its been all down hill since.

The real donut junkies go to Blue Star. (Note its been years since Ive been to Portland but I have fond memories of biking around there in my misspent youth).

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

drat did it take me forever to put together that Frosty Witch was involved in the Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo and everyting else involved in that whole storyline. Congrats to her.

I never put the two together either!

Have a fun one today. Trying to get a product team to not use the same user/pass for a support account for all of our customers. It looks like, though of course my cheap company doesnt have the logs to prove this, that a rep entered in creds to a phishing site. So now I'm trying to explain to them that they need to not reuse the same creds and rotate ALL of them.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The Fool posted:

why are you not using sso and mfa

We do.

This team has chosen to not put in the time to setup their database stores in our system. Yes I am powerless to enforce this.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My favorite so far has been a server 2008 DC thats also a CA! Yes it is still in production....

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Im glad I did a short stint in MSP hell because I got to touch a lot of poo poo I wasnt anywhere near qualified to do, got exposed to a lot and learned a ton.

But good lord, what a lovely race to the bottom that whole industry is. poo poo cheap customers, poo poo cheap owners, just garbage all the way down.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Wasn't ubiquiti originally spun off from Motorola a long time ago? I vaguely remember there being a reason that their gear used a different wattage than everyone else.

I know I've been guilty of frying some wireless bridges in the past by not checking the PoE settings. That's a mistake you only make once or twice.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

God drat I hate regex. Its my IT kryptonite.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ive worked some state and local government jobs that had set pay bands. They'd advertise the positions as being like $65-130k for example. Not telling you until you got hired though that basically only 1-2 people are getting that $130k. They had some wiggle room as to where you started at the lower bands, but the high range was for people who had been there 20+ years and got the raise year after year for those 20 years.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Little kids are greatly effected by DST which can in turn make it awful for their parents.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My stepdad would set his wifi to hide the ssid and require MAC authentication, but at the same time didnt trust windows 10/11 and still uses XP.....\

Ive given up on offering computer help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I use duckduckgo pretty exclusively. I'll still use a !g if I need to look up info on a specific product because those tend to have better results. Otherwise it's been great.