Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Now that Drag Race is on MTV I can't watch the Pit Stop in Canada!!

Also I know it was probably mostly the nerves but I feel like Loosey got sabotaged with that mic.

Eej fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jan 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There's definitely something to the newer generation being sheltered, for lack of a better word. This sounds like boomer posting but the old guard of drag did grow up and perform in a much rougher and dangerous environment, ending up with a thicker skin. I think we can all agree it wasn't a good thing that they had to but it shaped the culture we have today. I don't know how you can transfer that culture down to the next generation without that context but I'm interested to see how they'll try.

Just makes me think of this (and laugh again)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFcmsoqcfpA

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Apparently the show right after Drag Race is Real Friends of WeHo which just added Todrick to the cast so some people are real mad that Todrick is still messing with Drag Race from beyond the grave and cutting into the runtime.

gandlethorpe posted:

Apparently Mistress is 24(!), so it's not necessarily an age thing to not get older-school drag culture

That is wild to me but starting drag underage is pretty on brand for old school drag

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just thought of the best gag for an All Stars lipsync where they do the whole "who is that??" thing and then the lipsync assassin is Ruvealed to be one of the current contestants and the camera cuts back to the queens and she's suddenly not sitting with them.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I can't believe Drag Race is making me yell at the TV in defense of the TikTok babies. Sugar is a huge TikTok star!! They literally do skits for millions of viewers and this was a comedy skit challenge!! They literally put her on the side because she's a young social media twink and therefore not worthy of having input and then she was the only one setting up jokes for everyone to play off of.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

wizardofloneliness posted:

I'm not necessarily upset about the show going back to the shorter format because the best seasons were all 45 minutes. But I think the editors forgot how to do a 45 minute cut and they also still have 14 people to show off. Personally, I could do without the mirror trauma chat in every episode. I kind of like the judges deliberation, although it heavily depends on who the judges are, so they didn't lose anything by cutting it this episode.

Give me a 45 minute cut that is 15 minutes show and 30 minutes of Jeff Goldblum/Nicki Minaj/Joel McHale deliberations

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

baronmasochist posted:

The moment in the werk room when they were coming up with queer icons and Sugar pipes in with Beyonce and "white girl wasted at the gay bar" probably didn't help her standing in the group.

That's the thing though, Sugar and Spice are terminally online (due to being young TikTok stars) so by default they get ironic absurdist comedy. "white girl wasted at the gay bar" is iconic! Just like, not the good kind of iconic, but the rest of the group wasn't even thinking that direction and it was a comedy challenge. Obviously with the missing airtime we don't get as good of a read of what's going on but from what we saw it looked like everyone was on a more serious wavelength than Sugar was.

E: speaking of taking things too seriously I'm really sad that no one saw the runway cue and came out as drag James Hetfield c'mon

Eej fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 14, 2023

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There's gotta be a (US) drag genealogy chart floating around out there and I want to see it

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

excuse me

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I wish I could describe what her sense of humour was aside from "I did not like"

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Production pounced on the first chance they could to get rid of one of the twins cause Aura definitely shoulda been dancing. Really funny that the twins sabotaged the concept of LSFYL by doing a choreographed number though.

I feel bad for Robin Fierce though. The short episodes aren't helping but she radiates so much filler queen energy because I have no idea who she is aside from Not Being Terrible.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just watched the Untucked and it's insane to me all the online hate Sugar and Spice are getting. Can't believe RPDR is making me circle the wagons around the TikTok zoomer queens.

Related, the real trying too hard TikTok baby is Luxe, whew

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They can't keep giving wins to Sasha because it makes her inevitable crowning too predictable

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Pan Dulce posted:

I swear, between all her Ru-given gigs and British reality TV she's on, where does she get the time to see all these tv/film/YouTube/TikTok celebs and their work?

Forgot to reply to this but obviously the way everyone else does: watching random poo poo on your phone in bed before you go to sleep

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Alyssa Edwards is the funniest queen who could not write a joke to save her life

Reposting because I love this video

https://youtube.com/shorts/OG1GAF2htxs?feature=share

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

gandlethorpe posted:

Oh, also absolutely cackling that they once again read Marcia's drag even when she's not being critiqued

I thought this was actually pretty lovely when she's not in the room.

Really not liking the way this season is being produced. Robin got absolutely nothing out of being on Drag Race because they gave her no screentime before she had to go. The missing hours of footage at this point is really hurting queens. Spice getting the Gotmik treatment too is really heavy handed. I know they don't want another Season 8 but Sasha has been getting robbed of so many clear wins it's really dumb.

Outside of production I really dislike Luxe's character. The delusion is so strong it loops all the way back to unpleasant to see.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Personally I was very confused why Mistress' group wanted metal so badly when none of them were alive when metal was still relevant

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Now I've learned that there are Marcia³ stans and I'm upset that this is a real thing

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Part of the joke is the intentionally long, uncomfortable pauses, yes. It's supposed to play with your expectations of traditional sitcom joke formula and also they're trying to meta joke you by having scenes that would make more sense if they Daytona Winds'd it and added a fart track but they hold off on putting a fart until basically the end.

It's Drag Race so it's never really a good version of anything but it's not for everyone.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Anetra losing the second lipsync was absolutely production riggery because they could get more lipsyncs out of the Too Low duck walk queen. My roommate pointed out her hips are too low and I can't unsee it anymore.

also lol at no one knowing the Camilla Cabello song and I bet most people watching didn't know it either. What an awful lipsync song choice.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I feel like the queens who got paired up with Love Connie were set up to fail because he's the absolute worst guest to interview due to how much he's trying to hog screentime and attention. Luxe, amusingly enough, could handle it because 1) they're in a golf cart so the level of antics you can get away with is a lot lower 2) her narcissism matched and maybe overpowered that of Love Connie's. Frankie was super nice and Charo marches to her own beat but isn't trying to bulldoze you in the process. My theory is that the latter two are celebrities in their own right while Love Connie is desperately scrambling for whatever screen time he can get.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Man that's some production riggery in the challenge. Sasha's Demi Lovato joke was funnier than all those warmed over White People Be Like jokes from 2010 twitter.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Not gonna lie when she said "you know how I keep my teeth white?" I reflexively expected her to go into the Paul Mooney bit but then I realized that would be way too spicy for Drag Race.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It is kind of weird to make a cum on your face joke seconds after talking about how your daughters love watching the show though.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The Loosey bullying is loving weird and uncomfortable.

Also this season really helps cement a theory I have in my head that when zoomers wanna be shady or haters they tend to publicly justify their stance so they can have some kind of moral high ground. Meanwhile older generations will just say poo poo cause they wanna. Which is what Loosey should do. She should just say what she wants and not give the kids any explanation or the time of day to listen to them yammer on. You think they would pick on Sasha?

Honestly the best reality TV show thing Loosey could've done was just eliminate herself citing the toxic environment created by Luxe and Mistress in the Werkroom. Just poison their runs and maybe even their post Drag Race careers. Now that would be some dang TV.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Rarity posted:

Impossible, Mistress is a zoomer

I couched it by saying "tend to" but also I think Mistress actually does this in her own way. She's always explaining or giving an excuse for why she's doing something, just not necessarily to the other queens. So in this case she really wants the viewers to know she's not a villain.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Nihonniboku posted:

It's possible they did, but it was just edited it out because that wasn't the narrative for the week.

The edit is just extremely heavy handed. Anetra had multiple cuts to the judges smiling during her performance, for example, just to solidify her win.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think this is actually the worst season of drag race (america) I've watched. Production is awful this time around.

Raccoonboy posted:

Edit: each pair had mismatching shows so wtf was ross even talking about

There might as well be an empty chair every time he's on the panel he's been terrible at judging for so long (was he ever good?)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

gandlethorpe posted:

The posts I was responding to were talking about production making the season worse, though. The shortened episodes are entirely MTV's fault.

No I think this is worse than S13. Even from just winners and losers production has been extremely heavy handed. Like half the episodes I'm wondering how X isn't the winner and why Y is safe again. It's so obvious that Sasha completely dominates the competition but they edit it so that she doesn't get as many wins as she should but also they never put her in the bottom because she'll eliminate anyone she's up against.

Plenty of questionable lipsync wins, queens being given favourable edits so they can fulfill their diversity quota as they approach the final episodes. Like sure in S13 they made sure to keep Gotmik off screen as much as possible during dancing challenges so they can have a transmasc finalist for diversity points but why are they hiding Luxe in acting challenges aside from keeping Ru happy by having a skinny black queen in the final?

Call me old fashioned but I prefer my shocks and twists in Drag Race to come from queens overcoming expectations (or underperforming) rather then showing someone winning and then production saying "btw they lost lol"

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There's been way too many episodes that are mostly forgettable so I can't tell you off the top of my head which examples but there should've been a lot more Sasha and Loosey wins. Salina had a bad run too because for whatever reason the judges didn't/refused to "get" her drag and I feel awful for her and Loosey for being essentially gaslit about the validity of their drag on national TV.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Poor one out for Robin Fierce, whoever she is

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I can't believe they have the balls to say that M³ vs Anetra was the best lipsync they ever watched but didn't burn their extra episode on a double shantay for that one. I mean I know why they did it because Marcia would've destroyed the Rusical as a theatre kid and then there's no guarantee that they could get rid of her in the makeover challenge so they'd be stuck with a finale they didn't want.

Farg posted:

(thinking so hard my brain catches fire) the drag race show is enslaved to woke diversity quoatas

I mean it's a reality TV show they literally write a narrative for each queen and decide who gets to stay and who gets to go. Considering that Ru had controversy over being transphobic not too long ago there's big PR value to the brand if they can get a trans queen to win. Similarly the show has been criticized for years that there hasn't been a big queen winner ever so any competent big queen gets a big push to the end. The only quotas they have are the ones they have set for themselves for advancing Ru's brand.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Personally I enjoyed the Season of Meet and Greet

e: that's a lie it was way too long and the drama was tedious and exhausting rather than entertaining

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I choose to believe she just moved every time to sit next to them rather than it being the emotional relative hot seat

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

wizardofloneliness posted:

I wasn’t expecting that Miss Congeniality, but none of the queens were particularly congenial this season to begin with. I would say Sasha was the most, but of the ones who were eligible, I guess Spice? She’s a nice girl.

The queens voted on it so they probably voted for Malaysia cause she got ganged up on this season

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

jimmydalad posted:

https://www.vogue.com/article/rupauls-drag-race-winner-sasha-colby-interview

Seeing poo poo like this just reinforces how correct Sasha’s win is to me. Having a powerful and well-spoken trans women winning drag race and being given a larger platform feels so important with that’s going on in the world. The stars almost seemed to align with how things came together.

I feel like the only stars that had to align was that she got on drag race at this point in time. The rest of it is predictable (her winning, that is).

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Pan Dulce posted:

You and Drag Race España convinced this stupid American to watch Eurovision 2023 live. It's SO good!

EDIT: Saw the acts and my favorites were Queen of Kings, Unicorn, My Sister's Crown, and Cha Cha Cha. I'm too cheap to pay to vote though. :gbsmith:

2nd EDIT: As for results, gently caress YEAH all my picks made it in! :asoiaf:

Still have no clue how Croatia made it. The performance was campy and solid, but the song itself... yeesh.

Croatia got in because it's a protest song. The repeated lyric at the start is "mama bought a tractor" in reference to Lukashenko buying Putin a tractor prior to the war. Crocodile psychopath is in reference to Boris Johnson saying that Putin is like dealing with a crocodile etc. They're all wearing officer caps and matching along to take the piss out of warmongers.

Eurovision has a lot of this stuff. Like Austria's song being about ghostwriting and how little you get paid in the industry (0.003 is in reference to how much USD you get from Spotify every time your song is streamed and Edgar Allen Poe famously died broke and drunk in the street). Serbia's entry last year was a song about how we've become so obsessed with health (in the beauty sense) while the Serbian government doesn't even provide healthcare etc.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Pan Dulce posted:

Oh DANG, I hadn't known that! Wow... kinda wish the lyrics had been translated either in the captions (yes I watch with captions) or the lyrics on Spotify. It would've been nice to know. But that's just the dumb American in me not knowing the language or researching the context. So thanks for that.

Yeah basically half the time there's a weird rear end song that makes it through to the finals in Eurovision it's because it has some meaning while also sounding stupid or silly. The other half of the time it's just the Euros are Euroing. It's really hard to tell without looking it up.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I don't think there's ever a legal way to watch Allstars Untucked in Canada and I end up just filez-ing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Pan Dulce posted:

I hate this and so, apparently, does Heidi. It brings up the same complaint I have about most reality TV. It's too produced!

You have some shows like Face Off and Top Chef that let the challenges and people themselves organically gently caress up to provide good TV.

You have some shows like SYTYCD, Project Runway, and Great British Bake-Off that balance timing of challenges to eliminate specific people who aren't popular enough.

And then you have Drag Race, that practically has elimination order set after the initial interviews and checking of wardrobe for the season. Which sucks because these are drag Queens: they'll be entertaining and provide enough drama and competition without producers setting them up for failure in challenges and, if all else fails, setting them up as ignored/safe at best, giving bullshit judging results at worst.

Heidi deserves to win. And her talking heads prove she gives good drama and sound bite. To basically give praise to Kandy Muse for playing a character close to her drag personality and with ill-fitting runway to boot over Heidi is weak tea indeed. Plus, keeping Alexis because she knows when to give the camera viral moments over Darien e, who legit did better in her performance and look? Ugh. I hate this.

Yeah I really wonder if this is going to lead to less queens accepting an invite to come back to All Stars if they know they're gonna put out the best work they've ever done and get ignored by production. I guess if you're just angling to be on TV for exposure it's fine but if you're trying to actually compete? Forget about it.

I just marathoned the latest season of Survivor and it makes All Stars look like a joke!