Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i volunteer to be speaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i was going to joke that casting 23 illegal votes was probably decisive for a county board of supervisors election but it turns out he won by a little under 2k votes so that was pointless in edition to being very illegal

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/13/politics/aca-open-enrollment-deadline

obamacare enrollment is up, possibly due to the increased subsidies and lowered premium maximums (from 10% to 8.5%) passed as part of the IRA. those last through 2025 so there is going to be a big fight brewing in a few years about extending the changes or make them permanent. dems better hope the 2024 election goes better for them in the house and senate; at least they didn't have this stuff phase out in an election year and piss everyone off right as they were figuring out who they want to vote for.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Eric Cantonese posted:

Would it be funny if he gave the fake diamond cufflinks to you?

yes, extremely

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

twitter is a private company owned by elon musk and he is the ceo

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

hamilton sucks but moana and encanto both have great music

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I've never seen House, but from what I have picked up through cultural osmosis it sounds like the writers really reached for the stars with those plot lines and his employer is very irresponsible to keep employing a doctor who is a heroin addict, diagnosed as mentally unstable, refuses to follow accepted medical procedures, and gets into fistfights with cancer patients.

its a good and entertaining show right until house goes to the loony bin, in the LMM episode, and it goes off the rails very quickly after that. however if you stop watching at the season finale where house finally goes insane and gets committed its a good way to pretend the show ended.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Twincityhacker posted:

Amazon just cancled their Amazon Smile program, where you donated .5% of the items price to a charity of your choice.

The reason given was that the "donations were spread too thin, so the program had less of an impact than they hoped."

So instead of a small amount of money, the charities will get zero money. Makes sense.

probably the cost of admin exceeded the tax savings they were getting from charitable donations? i don't know.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

projecthalaxy posted:

With the climate change and world war 3 and so forth all being helped along by the annihilation of the world economy it might be bold to assume theres such a thing as "history books" in 2073.

look on the bright side, a us default could potentially crash the economy so hard that every country in the world smashes through their paris accord targets

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

BRJurgis posted:

Yeah it's so frustrating... People frequently talk about moving away from here in the northeast (or even make good on it), to go down south or otherwise to states without as much property or income tax. There is little understanding of the dynamics we're discussing (that spread the tax burden to the masses to the benefit of the rich, nevermind the gutted social services), because of that underlying "inconvenienced millionaire/gubmint taxing me on my stuff" vibe. Usually when you explain that as working class folks they'd be getting hosed, their desire to be in a different class comes to the forefront and they simply identify as somebody who is/would be wealthy if not for their present taxes.

its funny when people move to texas expecting a big tax break and get surprised at how high property taxes are

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/24/politics/pence-classified-documents-fbi/index.html

mike pence also has classified documents. it keeps happening.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i think it's interesting but unsurprising that four of the five largest states with home ownership disparities in favor of men are dominated by resource extraction. nevada also has a very large mining sector which probably accounts for its place there as well.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

roffles posted:

What the gently caress is a woke bank? Was SVB offering zero interest loans for abortions ugh gently caress these chuds they’re ruining my “death to capitalism” Sunday vibes

it's a bank located in california with a public DEI policy

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the banks are too busy counting how many genders there are, instead of counting money

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

cr0y posted:

Is there a good reason to think that there aren't other banks that would have the same problem as SVB? (MBSs that underperform based on raising rates?)

But yeaaa.....$FRC is not looking good.

E: Western Alliance and PacWest are also getting smoked premarket

SVB was somewhat unique in that its client base was startups, who deposit money (good) but don't usually borrow money, as they're being funded by venture capitalists. other banks, hopefully, have a more diversified business and do a lot more lending, which should lower their exposure to bond interest risk.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is a pretty huge change.

The regulations require water utilities to essentially eliminate all PFAS from their water supply. Recent research found that PFAs were more harmful in small quantities than initially assumed and the new EPA rule requires them to eliminate all PFAs down to less than 0.004 parts per trillion - which is a 99.99% reduction from current legal limits.

PFAs come from a huge amount of plastics and paper products that are regularly flushed down the toilet or down the drains as well as part of waste water that gets dumped

The estimated cost nationwide for water utilities will be somewhere between $772 million and $4 billion.

The new regulations have a 60-day comment period before they go into effect.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1635645626443608072

is this something open to challenge under the new major questions doctrine?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

donald trump is my friend and will post in this forum on tuesday

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

you can still run a campaign from jail

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Queering Wheel posted:

Speaking of Florida, they just advanced a bill out of committee to ban transition insurance coverage for all trans people, including adults now, in case anyone still thought it was ever about the kids or sports or whatever the gently caress

https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1638603424429113344?s=20

LGBTQ+ people are in grave loving danger and it's not getting nearly enough attention

im curious, does this only apply to florida-regulated insurance plans (which many people, receiving employer coverage, likely do not have) or does it somehow, like, outlaw even federally regulated plans from paying for trans health stuff?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

banning tech companies from showing ads to children is a great idea

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Shooting Blanks posted:

Harris County (Houston) routinely has the longest local ballot in the country. The last election here had between 90 and 103 elections to vote on, depending on your specific zip code.

it took me like 20 minutes to vote (harris county resident) because there were so many different positions lol. zero time waiting in line, the time spent was entirely on voting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

im curious how apartment housing construction gets started. like do property management corps commission them from developers or do developers start construction and then search for a buyer?