Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Takayasu
Wakatakakage

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Tamawashi
Abi

M6-10:
Oho
Hokutofuji
Endo

M11+:
Kotoshoho
Kotoeko
Tochinoshin

Last minute but here is my draft line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

He's going to continue until he drops from Juryo. I hate seeing him injured because when he is on, his sumo is great to watch. I remember him during his Ozeki run and it was basically lights out once he got a belt grip.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I am going to display gaman and keep Oho on my team. I have a feeling he's going to come around on the middle third.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Shiroc posted:

Very strong opinions about Abi ever carrying the dignity of a Yokozuna intensifies

Abi has the petulance and disdain for authority that actually makes me like him a lot. He's the working man's rikishi.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I could have contested the yusho if I traded Oho, but my dignity as a former yokogoona would not allow it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

verbal enema posted:

bally sports japan

Bally Sports is a black name in my book because they torpedoed the carriage agreement negotiations on every streaming platform and now I have no way to watch my Carolina Hurricanes play legitimately.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm pretty sure Takayasu has a reputation for giving a lot of effort during practice.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Terunofuji

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakatakakage
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Abi
Mitakeumi
Kotoshoho

M6-10:
Takayasu
AOIYAMA
Ura

M11+:
Oho
Hokuseiho
Kinbozan

I continue to gamble with Oho.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think there's a new gyoji in Makuuchi this basho. Though he could also have been guesting from Juryo. I noticed it during the Chiyoshoma/Mitoryu bout.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I continue my run of pulling 8-7 and 7-8 performances.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Hirayuki posted:

You could be the next Endo!

I was heading towards being Tokushoryu and falling out of Juryo but somehow I've stabilized on the middle of Makuuchi.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah I think its fairly understood that you should watch the match day prior to clicking spoilers. Match digests are usually up by 8 EST so its pretty easy to watch the matches before the day shift posters come in.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Somebody please post the steaming iron commercial with a rikishi singing. it owns so much

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Kirishima

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Tobizaru
Onosho

M6-10:
Takayasu
Tamawashi
Hokutofuji

M11+:
Gonoyama
Hakuoho
Endo

Edit: Changed picks around thanks to helpful users pointing out some kyujo! I appreciate the sportsmanship.

Vargatron fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 8, 2023

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Khizan posted:

Kirishima is in, but Takakeisho and Wakatakakage are both out

Thanks for pointing that out. I adjusted my picks. You're showing your hinkaku as a competitor.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I wish they offered like 2 weeks at the end of each basho for rikishi to get healthy. Yet another Ozeki reign mired by injury and a hellish training schedule.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Marching Powder posted:

it sucks and sumo needs to modernise. i like watching my rikishi at full power and unhindered by injury, not desperately trying to make their body work long enough to eek out a few wins before imploding.

Got a grand champion whose knees are literally kindling strapped with C4 and a litany of young talent who have ACL tears that will probably cut their careers short by 5-10 years each.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

oh man I thought it was over when Terunofuji got the kimedashi locked in!! what a match!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Does anybody else think Hokuseiho has a really bad tachiai or is it just me? It's like he stands straight up immediately at the beginning of a match. No forward momentum at all.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kuros posted:

:negative: everything looked so good on paper.

I'm pretty sure everybody has had this exact same reaction to a team they drafted. The wiles of sumo!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I really hope that Uncle will be pleased with Hoshoryu.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

drip too powerful

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

They really just need to axe the summer jungyo from the schedule and let the rikishi rest and recover. A couple months of rest would do wonders for the quality of the sport. Nobody is going to be able to recover when doing training in 100 degree heat.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My heya was in rare form this basho! I'll take 3rd place in makuuchi every day of the week.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

You know, I could somewhat forgive that in the name of "preserving sumo culture" or whatever if they were actually doing reforms to improve wrestler health. But it's such an unnecessary nitpick to demand specific shades of blue on grown men. The JSA always focuses on the completely wrong thing.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Hoshoryu has this post match smoulder that I just find endearing. When he wins he just burns through his opponent with his gaze, but when he loses, I see wrathful indignation.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I do enjoy how there is a running gag of wrestlers falling onto the shipman during some bouts.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think it's 1-2-3-4.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm glad that Hakuoho is getting shoulder surgery instead of trying to fight it out in September. You would think with a generational talent like him that the JSA would want to have him wrestle as long as possible. I really hope that profession sumo gets past "you didn't train hard enough" as the answer to sumo injuries. No off season combined with no rank protections makes the wrestlers shorten their careers unnecessarily.

I'm also hoping that Shishi performs well this basho and gets a top division promotion. I kind of see him as the next Tochinoshin if he can remain healthy. He's definitely got all the physical requirements of being wrestler to me.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Takakeisho
Kirishima

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Tobizaru
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Abi
Shodai
Ura

M6-10:
Takayasu
Kinbozan
Endo

M11+:
Hokuseiho
AOIYAMA
Kotoshoho

Pre-basho scouting reports informed my draft selection a bit this basho. Some rikishi, like Asanoyama, are nursing injuries sustained on the summer tour. I think my M1-5 selections are the most risky, but you play for the yusho, not just to hold rank. My ozeki picks were pretty difficult because I feel all three rikishi are in fairly decent form. I expect Kirishima to at least get a KK, but overall I feel that Hoshoryu has the best chance to scoop the yusho.

I think my biggest gamble is Takayasu. He should do well from M7, but his age and recent injury history could very well backfire on me. Regardless, I've had a fairly decent string of winning scores in the past few tournaments, so it might be a good basho to really gamble on success.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

pseudodragon posted:

Taka and Mita will either be in yusho contention from beating up people they should be a billion times better than or go like 3-12 from being completely broken.

Mitakeumi has not been the same since COVID. I don't know if he just has long COVID or there's a lingering injury he's carrying, but he has just struggled performing consistently ever since.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I can forsee him hanging in lower Makuuchi or upper Juryo for enough years to qualify for elder stock and becoming a coach. Honestly the ideal is to be a rank and filer who stays around the lower makuuchi division but does well enough to have a good tournament every once in a while. Just score some 9-6 tournaments and draw a nice salary until you're in your upper 30s, then retire and become a coach. Hopefully avoiding a crippling injury as well.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I haven't got to watch many days of this basho because NHK keeps knocking off the Natto streams!!! Is there an alternate mirror for the bout digests every day?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Nativity In Black posted:

Day 10: I really need to get better at Japanese so I can understand the shimpan decisions. I'm guessing that they did a torinaoshi for the Ura/Keisho match because of the dead body rule that I still don't quite understand? This helps my fantasy team but also hurts because I love watching Ura get the most bizarre of wins.

Dead body rule is basically where a wrestler in an unassailable winning position touches down first to break their fall and prevent injury. The problem is that this is often up to interpretation on what exactly is an unassailable winning position.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I really hope that Shishi becomes the next Tochinoshin. He's got a ton of potential.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm going to hold off on drafting until Saturday since I'm still poring over the scouting reports.

Not that it will do me any good, I'll barely make KK.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thauros posted:

who's the other guy besides isegahema propping up the corpse

JSA Chairman Hakkaku, the former Yokozuna Hokutoumi.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Y/O:
Kirishima
Hoshoryu
Takakeisho

S/K:
Kotonowaka
Daieisho
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Gonoyama
Nishikigi
Midorifuji

M6-10:
Atamifuji
Kinbozan
Mitakeumi

M11+:
Roga
Tamawashi
Tsurugisho

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The great thing about Ura is that he sometimes does a technique that hasn't been seen in like 50 years in the top division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

I would trade but I have three total garbagemen and can't pick which one should go my honour does not allow it.

I too will display the principles of hinkaku and gaman and choose not to trade any of my roster.