Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

2/1
by Amorim from Brazil

Always a sucker for some monster suddenly climbing over a horizon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Forward thinking on passing a quick budget before the republicans started controlling the House means the first instance of Debt scrawled on a big thing this year won’t be until around September/October

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

This quote is engraved on a polished stone wall surrounding the memorial, that side of the statue has the words “Out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope”

Gets a slight pass because that is a quote that appears in the memorial and framing it’s location wouldn’t work well since you would be facing away from the recognizable statue. It’s an artistic reinterpretation over slapping vague shapes of landmarks wherever.
(Also technically not a statue but an engraving on stone but I could spend several posts talking about this stuff again.)

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
It’s also what, a dozen documents that were handled/misplaced over 8 years of Obama presidency in private offices. Compared to ~300 documents taken during the moving out from the White House stored in a business frequented by international guests

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I know balloons are too evocative of imagery for cartoonists to resist, but I do feel guilt for our dumb media craze penetrating international politoons

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

I hate that this rear end in a top hat made a genuinely good cartoon about this whole stupid balloon thing.

It's not particularly complex and almost seems like an accident to have hawkish attitudes destroy the concept of love, but the bar is so low this comic is one of the few with something to actually say of this whole ordeal

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Dilbert turning sharply around upon finding Carmen and a coyote

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I think the clash between chiding youthes for having kids they cannot afford vs the youthes not having enough kids is mostly a function of assuming the chiding is advise for the youthes to follow. Our economy and society depends not just on having a certain birth rate but having an underclass of financially struggling people. Any system of morality or empathy will seek to ease the suffering of the financially struggling underclass, which would diminish the power and profits of those who profit from them existing. Folks in power can keep folks from empathizing with these parents by blaming their individual situation and keep attention away from the system as a whole. It’s not a contradiction, it’s the “advise” existing not to help the parents but to make others not care for the struggle they do to support society.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I’m not sure the Benson cartoon from the other page with the horse is worthy of a nomination, it just makes me sad to look at

Which is a semi-unique sensation, usually any depression is drowned out by anger or defeat

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
An element of opposing free school lunches is the base being appealed to haven’t had a kid in school for decades. The common story of pulling up the ladder behind yourself.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
In the face of an unavoidable tragedy there is emotional value in thinking of the deceased in a more positive light. It can help a lotta people break out of a mental spiral of grief.

In the face of an avoidable tragedy it reveals how little the person saying it cares about you. The distraction is not in service of helping a living human being process grief but to get them doing nothing about preventing future tragedies. The cause of the tragedy is more important to such a person than the lives lost and people destroyed.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The comic with the sex symbols even fails with Where It Started, what with folks born intersex and ancient traditions around castration

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Byzantine posted:

Ahem, I believe you will find the Bibble says MALE and FEMALE :smug:

If that's our source then the Where It Started category should only have the Mars symbol in it

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Kellies Nomination: Worst Label, Most Incomprehensible

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
There is a political cartoon from a few years ago. Single panel, setup is folks boarding a plane and a stewardess asks a young adult passenger to turn their cell phone off. Old dude smugly asks if he has to turn his device off too, a book in his hands. I tried looking it up but my search engine skills can’t find it with what I remember. Anybody remember it?

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Bonus hazard: neighbors calling the city for a formal complaint if the bins are out too long. Too long being the space of time between the city picking up the bins contents and you coming home from work in the evening.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

How DARE this political office engage in politics!

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
A combination of “this is just the first step, just you wait with this loose thread tugged the whole Biden crime conspiracy will be revealed” and “The Biden crime family forced the FBI to charge Hunter with minor crimes instead of the legit big bad crimes, covering those over. According to me, Law Knower, this will render Hunter immune to further charges of Treason unless Trump gets back in the Whitehouse”

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Realistically putting money down on a cartoon comparing Trumps crimes(small technicalities, witch hunt, corrupt FBI) to Hunters crimes(huge, worse than charged, box of a hundred guns, laptop/gun hybrid, Biden staring into the middle-distance oldly)

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Angepain posted:

"That would be a pretty standard stop for a tour of Washington DC, yes."

That section of First Street NE is such a pain in the rear end to drive busses through due to half the roads around those congressional buildings being closed to through traffic. To actually take a group there involves stopping a few blocks away and walking over. A geographical reality reflecting the political isolation of the court from everyday Americans.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Skios posted:

Chip Bok

Bad president Biden not knowing you are supposed to campaign on this word for word, but welch on it when elected!

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Democratic attacks are cosmetic and don’t actually impact the functionality of the car. Being brought to a mechanic to be fixed implies mechanical problems under the hood that would have happened regardless of the arrows, darts and anvil. A cartoon about a dysfunctional campaign.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

I hate to say it, but you could replace 90% of the political cartoonists with AI and nobody would notice.

How would we tell? Extra fingers? People look like uncanny valley rejects? The humor is stilted and makes no sense? poo poo, a large enough number of cartoonists already steal art for their cartoons.

You will never get a program to spit out an image of a white void with the text “reasons to not switch to algorithmic art for political cartoons”

Maybe when you start poisoning the models by feeding it’s own output back into itself.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

seiferguy posted:

There were a lot of bad takes, but this absurdist image from Peters always sticks out to me:

Gaybies nomination: laziest comic 2001

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Wrex Ruckus posted:

Gas station signs are powered by ghosts! Seems like that would still be a problem even if gas was cheaper.

We must strive for numbers that take up less physical space, like 1 and 7, instead of numbers that take up a lot of space, like 8 and 0, in order to minimize the number of tormented souls trapped in the signs

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

I swear we got a version of this with Boris Johnson a year ago

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

It's a reference to the WEF wanting us to eat bugs, which is bad because it's different.

Klaus Schwab suggesting insect protein may solve world malnutrition = giant nosed aliens putting grubs in your food.

The bug protein thing will occasionally get a crank talking about health/nutritional effects, but by and large the cranks are into the idea of it being a disrespectful gesture. The big offense is a lesser diminishing you by ordering you to eat bugs. Strategically nothing concrete is happening, but conservatives these sorta weird power plays are the most important thing to focus on.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

A haunting Donald Duck

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

I'm not terribly well read in the Yes/No situation in Australia. From lightly looking into it it's a referendum on whether to let aboriginal people have representation in government or not? And the message of this comic is pro Yes people are actually secretly militants seeking to forcefully take over the government with this? Or am I missing some details from this Kelly's nomination for not even concealed bigotry?

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Righto. Wasn't the visual style of the typical crop of conservative Australian cartoonists so was uncertain what side it was on. Figured on first blush it was a They Live situation.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I'm not the most informed on every story going on around the current conflict. I'm assuming every time a conservative source talks about the Rise Of Antisemitism it's 100% talking about protests against the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians and phrases like 'jewish residents need to be careful, they are not safe with all the antisemitism flaring up' is entirely concern trolling while ignoring the message of the protestors right? Is there a reliable source on antisemitism being a suddenly growing problem outside of this deliberately manipulative propaganda?

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Indiscriminate bombing of civilian targets forces people into seeking the only shelter they can find, militants. A pro ceasefire cartoon

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Kellies Nomination: Best Dinosaur

It is a surprisingly nice scene for a tepid message

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
There is a certain value in presenting an oversimplified example of one aspect going on in a situation to penetrate folk’s thinking. Folks here being children learning a concept for the first time and adults stuck in a rigid frame of thought. For many who are fixated on the Israel messaging of having to strike back or be exterminated there is value to being very clear on how cycles of violence don’t stop. Even if this concept is communicated without important facts of the situation we are all dancing around.

I don’t think this does a great job of the important task of getting rigid thought adults to consider their position though. Their position was achieved by their media shoveling on and reinforcing a bunch of weak arguments. Considering cycles of violence is ignored for another half-reasoned point they have rattling around.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

So ignoring the historical inaccuracies, and focusing instead on how Lester is using Eratosthenes to essentially be any scientist in the vein of Galileo, what we have here is a comic about someone bringing up new, data-backed information that challenges the (often religious) dogma of the moneyed and ruling class who have a vested interest in keeping things running as they always have been.

I don't need to even point out which side of the climate change debate this actually applies to, but it does tie into how conservatives have constantly convinced themselves that their culture war enemies are the ruling class. "All the big corporations are on the side of the LGBT AGENDA" because they changed their logos rainbow for one month, or thinking 40% of the population is trans, or whatever the gently caress else. Just constantly reframing the entirety of the world to portray themselves as the plucky underdogs who always know what's true and right, and must stand against the insane masses.

In this specific case the oldest attempt at covering for fossil fuel companies is accusing those who want to do something about the environment having investments in green technology and are just doing this to drive customers and government funds to companies that line their pockets. That any words about having higher ideals are attempts at deception it's all greed and you are super smart for seeing through their ruse. No particular defense of fossil fuel companies, just painting the moral failing of an opposition trying to manipulate you. How much of any individual persons conservative position is moral outrage of somebody trying to be deceptive and how much is preserving a feeling of being clever enough to see through a ruse is variable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I know companies chasing algorithmic content is a hell trend of this year, but it seems like a helluva lot of reference to it in politoons for a general trend. Is there a recent bunch of notable stories on ai technology? Politoons thinking over trends of the previous year? Just a fun concept to convey in a visual medium?