Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Cartoon Man posted:

Damar Hamilin Collaspes: Military Dental Megathread

It's either this or baseless and panicked speculation, and imo it's healthier for all involved if it's this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Lifespan posted:

Now that it appears he will survive and probably be able to lead a normal life, if they find out it was commotio cordis and not a deeper issue, is there any chance he could ever suit up again? Or does the damage from this whole experience destroy the chances of being an athlete?

Just too early to say, really, because we don't know what if any long-term damage this might've done to his cognition/heart/lungs/other vital organs. If the long-term damage is nonexistent or minimal and it was just a freak occurrence with no deeper issues attached, theoretically (I should note here I'm not a doctor, I just did a lot of medical reporting/writing in my day) he can get back onto the field. There are tons upon tons of questions to answer between now and then, though, and unfortunately that's just gonna take some time.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

BonoMan posted:

30,000 ft answer is just that the body is a hugely complex machine and there's a lot of possible damage (or actual damage we just don't know about) that could have occurred. You can have a responsive, talking person who is still in mortal danger of organ failure.

Basically this, I think. Also doesn't help that different institutions will have different definitions for stable/critical/etc.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Whether he plays again is going to come down to a) whether he's mentally okay with it and b) what, if any, long-term physical issues may have stemmed from the initial incident. Commotio cordis presumably isn't like concussion where you're more likely to suffer another if you've suffered it once already. It's a freak thing. That said, there could be long-term ramifications from having suffered lack of blood flow, undergone CPR, etc., and some of those factors could keep him from taking the field again.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Yeah, that was Prothro. Career-ending injury. He's had 11 surgeries over the years to repair it, but it's still not back to 100%. Just loving heinous.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 17, 2023