Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dango Bango posted:

Fans are going over to the hospital? wtf

It's Cincinnati on a Monday night there isn't much else to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Being intubated can be "ok" relatively speaking if someones vitals are good right?

Being intubated is just to maintain an airway but you can't have one in and be alert since it makes you gag. I assume they are just sedating him in case something else happens and also since he probably has half the world's supply of lidocaine running through his veins right now

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I hope it's a good sign but we already knew he never lost his pulse (thankfully obviously) so I don't know how much of a sign.

You don't do CPR on someone with a pulse

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

FistEnergy posted:

Oddly enough, CPR training no longer calls for rescue breaths. It's compression-only now. But that's training for non professionals, and I'm assuming the professionals quickly started him on manual breathing plus oxygen. However, the period of assessment, AED application, and AED shock was probably without breaths/oxygen.

He was almost certainly getting oxygen and bagged within seconds of the ambulance being on the field.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/LukeRussert/status/1610127754292514817

Looks like Stefon is reenacting Tiannemen Square with some Cincy cops good luck my brother

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Mike Brown passing a hat around the locker room to pay for all the ticket refunds

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
AFCN title being possibly decided by this game makes it pretty weird to just not play honestly don't know what nfl should do

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Let the record show that the Bengals were kicking the poo poo out of the Bills before all this happened

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Hey man shut the gently caress up with this?

????

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
One thing the NFL could change for these situations would be to mandate a Lucas device in all the medics driving onto the field. Maybe they do and were using one yesterday, but I didn't see any media reports about a machine doing the CPR so I assume it was all by hand. I imagine a normal human doing CPR on a 6'7' 350 OT would suck rear end and not be very high quality.

Healthy people who get good CPR very fast without a fundamental fatal heart problem can do very well and can eventually go back to being sports guys getting their brains turned into jelly. So have some hope and ignore all the 'grim prognosis' poo poo from internet people talking out of their rear end.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I read a report somewhere that he was being bagged well before the ambulance showed up so it wasn't just like trainers standing around looking at him. Feel its safe to assume that CPR started within a minute or so after he collapsed, or as soon as a medical person got onto the field and saw what was happening

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
He was likely intubated on the field. Securing airway is the first thing you do after you start CPR and bagging.

The ambulance was likely sitting there because he was either presumed dying/dead and they were trying to do CPR away from the public, or he got ROSC and they thought he was stable enough to wait a couple minutes for family. I assume the latter is what happened but I'm not sure since in most cases you would still haul rear end to a hospital and tell the mom to catch a cab or something. But I don't want to speculate too much.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

What?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
My faith in Dentistry is also now in critical condition after reading all these valuable insights. Thanks guys.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Awesome. Hope they don't show him the GoFundme for a while to avoid any more heart attacks

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Shoutout to UC Hospital. Bearcats bitch

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bird in a Blender posted:

I thought they kept people sedated all the time will intubated, but maybe that's not the case, or maybe he's not intubated anymore. Either way, some positive signs.

You can't be awake and intubated if you have a gag reflex.

Not an ER doc, but I assume they took the tube out once it was clear he wasn't a risk to need resuscitated again and then tapered off the sedation to let him wake up

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Weebly posted:

Oh no you very much can be.

I worked ICU for 10 years doing exactly what is going on with him right now.

Since he’s past the normal post cardiac arrest protocols, you lighten sedation and look for responses like eye opening or hand grasps. Then if their still synching with the vent you continue to decrease the sedation and hope they can do more meaningful interaction like nodding or writing.

However, since it appears he suffered a lung injury you need to keep him as synched with the vent as he heals.

Once he’s good you can try completely turning off sedation and putting his vent into a mode where he breathes on his own. If he gets tired you put the stuff back on and do it again later like a workout.

Tube comes out when the doctor seems it worth the risk or the nurse isn’t there and the patient removes it themselves. Some doctors I’ve worked with were cowards and had to be 100% sure the patient would be fine and would let them breath for like 1-2 hours as they do rounds. That is very frustrating as a nurse cause that patient is very much stressed out since they’re breathing thru a straw.

Thanks this makes sense. Sorry I wasn't trying to be misleading, coming from the EMT perspective where people can quite quickly go from completely unresponsive to apeshit clawing at their throat barfing everywhere

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Doctors carefully explaining to Damar the seeding scenarios when using a winning percentage based approach

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
NYTimes has a copy of the radio traffic from the stadium if you are in to that https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/05/sports/football/damar-hamlin-response-audio-recording.html

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I linked it because it seemed pretty normal and professional, but I admit that my perspective might be a bit warped from all these chainsaw limb dismemberment videos I watch in my free time.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Eifert Posting posted:

Man the bills might have really hosed up.

https://youtu.be/YyU59PN3njc

The YouTube video is titled damar Hamlin has passed away but no one's acting like anything unusual is going on during the press conference.

I think they might have accidentally ran with an alternate headline and not realized.

lol

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I wonder what restaurant Peter King was eating at when the news about Damar being alive broke

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

WoodrowSkillson posted:

man it owns to be rich and get the actual best medical care

Don't worry comrade, my training is complete and my blade is sharp. We will wrest this health care from elites like Damar Hamlin and distribute it to the people.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
His HEART gave LIFE a chop block but after conferring with PRAYERS, GOD picked up the flag

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

SpaceDrake posted:

Yep, if we want to talk about the intersection of health & wealth, let's be sure to keep in mind exactly what Hamlin is going to be heavily pressured into representing going forward (for the benefit of team owners who make billions off the physical sacrifice of young men).

When we could, you know, have real talk about making sure something like Monday never happens and can never happen again, at all, ever, without question, and what it will cost the owners to ensure that.

I had an amazing seat for the game, and was perfectly placed to see the hit made on Damar Hamlin. This is a kid who has been every bit the upstanding citizen, and buys toys in Pittsburgh with his wealth. What I realized when I was asked to watch a player lower his eyes to the grass and drive the crown of his helmet through Damar's heart over and over is that the NFL doesn't care at all about these people. I guess I always knew that but it really drove the point home.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Darth Brooks posted:

Is it wrong to hope he never plays another down of football?

Yes, if he loves football and wants to keep playing it then ideally he would

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

mdemone posted:

If it was any other condition, the NFL would be shouting it from the rooftops, because they don't want the specter of commotio cordis looming over fans' football experience.

It's entirely possible that they don't actually know yet and that not everything is some vast NFL conspiracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

fartknocker posted:

Counterpoint: The NFL is full of enough psychopaths that would view “My tackle/block killed a dude” as an accomplishment.

I’m pretty sure horrible people like Taylor Lewan, or going back a bit Richie Incognito, would be proud of it.

No, I don't actually think the NFL is full of players who want their opponent's heart to stop beating