Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Without a functioning House they can't get to the bottom of Hunter's laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Who hasn't set fire to a boat they were still on? I know I have!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
US House Speaker Election TVIV: Kevin Will Conditionally gently caress Himself

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I wouldn't trust this court to preserve precedent, but otherwise, :shrug:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Raenir Salazar posted:

Could Dems potentially pull a Lincoln, find vulnerable Republicans in Biden leaning districts, older closer to retirement aged Republicans, people who seem more into this for money and power and try to bribe them with positions in the Executive branch to switch to D, or to soft ball future Dem primaries? They just need 6 Republicans to switch or support Jefferies or some lesser number and some number of Present/Abstainations? If this clown show keeps going for long enough this has gotta get more possible right?

The Jan 6 committee Republicans found sinecures with the likes of CNN, so that or the various think tanks might be another possibility.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Representatives in right lane must vote right!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Lone Badger posted:

Sooo.... what do you do?

I think your question wasn't properly phrased: the executive in the US is independent of the legislature. It's not a matter of a "government" not forming, it's a matter of one of the legislative houses not being able to function properly. The "government" (what people here usually call "the administration") is carrying on. If the Senate, rather than the House, were dysfunctional then there would be issues if any new secretary or other position holder that needs Senate approval had to be filled, and we've seen what happens when the Senate is just contrary throughout most of the Obama administration, so it would in some ways be similar.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Skippy McPants posted:

Being one of the earlier modern democracies, we didn't have as many examples to look to when it came to closing stupid little cracks in our foundation, so a pretty astounding amount of our government relies on "civic tradition" to function.

The US could have just created a system directly mirroring the contemporary UK parliament without a Crown, or done a better job stealing the structure of the Haudenosaunee.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The UK has no written constitution it's basically all civic tradition and convention

that's really not that uncommon, a lot of states have conventions that, while not written, would cause a severe crisis if violated

So the US could have codified that instead of whatever the gently caress this nonsense we have is. "Let's create a system that cannot by design allow no confidence votes other than by a convoluted process requiring two houses and a supermajority" wasn't mandated by deciding a written constitution was necessary.

The Lone Badger posted:

But with the House not existing you're unable to pass Supply right?

That's exactly what we don't have in the US. There's no mechanism for early elections. You just... don't have new taxes or authorized ways to spend. It's not been tested how the executive is supposed to deal with that, which is why people are worried about a default or talk about the $1T coin.

Edit: We've had government shutdowns, which were resolved after a while, but if I'm not mistaken we've never gotten to the point where debts just weren't paid. Although I could be misremembering. Either way, even if that happens, there is no mechanism for an early general election.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 6, 2023

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Feels Villeneuve posted:

generally speaking the removal of an executive, rather than the removal of the leader of the legislature requires a higher vote than a majority in countries with an elected executive

There didn't need to be a directly elected executive. That, also, was not mandated by deciding to write a constitution out.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Feels Villeneuve posted:

even in countries with constitutions its common for very "low level" functions about how the legislature operates to be based on convention or tradition.

Like you're talking about the UK when that's almost entirely based on convention, or like how every Commonwealth country has powers given to the Executive which by strict convention are never actually used without the legislature's approval because doing so would cause an absolute poo poo show (which iirc has actually happened in Australia)

Like I'm not saying this is good, just that this kind of reliance on precedent and convention is not unique to the US.

Don't know where you got that I'm arguing that other systems weren't built on convention. This was my OP:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The US could have just created a system directly mirroring the contemporary UK parliament without a Crown, or done a better job stealing the structure of the Haudenosaunee.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm morbidly curious to know how Fox/OANN/Truth Social/etc. are somehow claiming this is the Democrats' fault. Not curious to go look, but still.

If they're anything like the rightwingers Twitter insists on flooding my trending topics over there with, they're focusing on yelling at Biden.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Acebuckeye13 posted:

That's... what it is, though. The House of Commons is the House of Representatives, the House of Lords is the Senate, and the King is the President. It's just that in the last 240 years, the power of the Lords and King greatly declined into symbolic roles, while the Senate maintained its power and the President grew much stronger.

If it actually mirrored this the President would appoint the government from members of the House (and the Senate), who would remain with their parliamentary duties, and the President would also be able to disband Parliament and call for an election.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Could you tl;dr that? I'm not giving them clicks.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

James Garfield posted:

It's because Jeffries said the Trump campaign coordinated with Russian intelligence

:ughh:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

PostNouveau posted:

It'd be funny if they aren't able to adjourn long enough for people to leave because they haven't been able to adopt rules so if a bunch of GOP left the Dems could just call a session on their own and elect Jeffries.

I don't know how the process actually works though.

Nuclear option would be that they could then unseat all Republicans who aided and abetted the Jan 6 insurrection, and wouldn't you know it, it's a Democratic Congress.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
gently caress it, Democrats should demand that the first order of business is to just cancel the debt ceiling.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Reeker - it rhymes with "Speaker"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
My (Democratic) state assembly member asked in a survey about term limits. Seems to come up every once in a while everywhere.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
To me this is ironically a supply-side problem, you need to find a way of getting more pressure by new people in the process, so you can get more primary upsets like on Cantor and Crowley.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Herstory Begins Now posted:

how does a parallel line intersect

Welcome to projective geometry. :science:

E: f beaten like Kevin McCarthy

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

tanglewood1420 posted:

As a non-American, two year terms for the House always seemed completely nuts. It seems like House Reps spend half their time campaigning for re-election.

One of the first messages you usually get from your elected representative is an invitation for a fundraiser for their next election.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Also my preferred interpretation of this clause is that anyone born via c section is not eligible to be president.

:mad:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
You get what you structure for.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Yeah but there’s no possibility of a snap election so it kinda balances out.

A snap election is better in my opinion, it forces a rethink when things aren't working anymore instead of just flushing the toilet every two years hoping that this time will be better.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I'm going to laugh my rear end off if they still can't elect McCarthy after all of this bloviating

:pray:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
McCarthy was just laughing for some reason.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/ElizLanders/status/1611575103770312706

Edit:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
"Kevin's stuck in our craw, can't elect, can't move to adjourn"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
You all keep joking about Gaetz` pedophilia and I just wanted to say keep doing it gently caress him.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rigel posted:

yeah, ok that is now official, the rebels have surrendered. The only way McCarthy loses is if a fresh new backstabber suddenly emerges.

:pray:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Pyrrhus looking mighty smug over there.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
DISAPPOINTED

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This would be a great time for enough people to switch votes to break the whole thing, but we live in an unjust world. :smith:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Bah, he's speaker.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
If SNL hasn't got him already they're going to have someone go all in on his weird hand movements.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I AM GRANDO posted:

Why did McCarthy want this again?

It's His Turn.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
They get to choose their own book. There was one who swore over a Superman comic or something this time, wasn't there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Twincityhacker posted:

It was a pretty cute setup for Robert Garcia. He was sworn in on a copy of the US Consitution, but underneath was his citizen certificate, a photo of his parenrts who died of COVID-19, and the aforementioned Superman comic.

One of the ways Garcia learned to speak English after he came to the US was though reading comics. So the most famous immigrant superhero would be 10/10 on the symbology scale.

:kimchi: