Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How many votes did McCarthy fail yesterday? I thought they managed to squeeze in 3 before adjournment, but some places say McCarthy only failed twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So if the "current" rules (as in, what McCarthy put forward) would allow 5 representatives to call for an immediate vote for a new speaker, what's stopping the chaos caucus from just constantly calling for a new speaker every 5 seconds? Or 5 democrats from grinding the machine to a halt to minimize the Republicans damage?

And lol that Boebert apparently wanted it to be 1 representative because she just wants to throw a brick onto the breaks.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So why do the chaos caucus have so much pull anyways? Why would it be political suicide for an R representative from more purple or blue districts to threaten to cross the aisle and back Jefferies as a show of "I can be bipartisan and not just want to destroy civilization as we know it" if McCarthy keeps bending the knee more and more to the chaos caucus? Sure, people in deep red states may hate their guts, but they're not voting in the purple states anyways.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So what time does the clownshow begin today?

Edit: NM, it says noon eastern in the OP.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Right before the first vote, the house lights go dark and music begins playing.

"Bah gawd, is that Sienema's music?"

A true independent entity of chaos for a house of chaos!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

He means after Jefferies, right?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

CNN says they didn't know how many people on the floor.

Come on Jefferies win for the lulz because people had better things to do!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm hoping that at some point, the Dems just start holding pizza parties on the floor. Just a grand public display of unity while the Republicans keep bickering and fingerpointing over who's fault it is they can't govern.

Edit: Hell, just roll a popcorn machine in so Dems can have fresh popcorn while watching this shitstorm.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah, but that would be day-old popcorn now. Plus it's more comical to picture the dems filing in, going to the popcorn machine and then settling in for the vote than just going straight to their spots.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Oooooh, one Republican (not one of the 20 anti-McCarthy ones) has voted "present"!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"Please help me win! Sure, you can't trust anything I say, and I've been openly talking about obstructing the president and your party, and harassing the son of the president, but I need your help! Please stop voting for your own interests!"

:pathetic:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How did McCarthy become the original frontrunner anyways? Just no one else wanted the job on the Republican side?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Also Democrats can just sit and vote as a bloc for their uncontroversial opinion of "a Democrat, lol" and the longer the Republicans can't elect a speaker with their majority, the worse they look.

I'm not sure what funnier, that the Republicans can't get their poo poo together because of a few creatures of chaos, or that by the numbers, the Democrats have "won" every vote.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So if there are no rules, the dems could just show up tomorrow in casual wear or pajama pants, right?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh no, not some form of "working together"!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How many more rounds does McCarthy have to suffer through before this makes it into the top 5 most failed speaker votes? Will he break before then? Because right now, he seems to be the weakest link in this entire clownshow.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So... what, 6 more votes then he's in the top 5?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Could they get a procedural ruling from the clerk to attempt to switch the vote to some kind of Ranked Voting with Instant Runoff? That might still not get to 218 but might speed up the process.

So that would be 212 votes for Jeffries, followed by 212 votes for "Deez Nutz", then 201 votes for McCarthy? I'm fine with that.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nah, it's cool, you don't need to be an elected official to be speaker. Even though Mr Nutz lost their presidential bid, they can still hold office, even if it's just "Official Rubber of Salt in McCarthy's wounds".

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Moderate Republican: "So we have two options. We can go to the democrats, and make a few small concessions to get you a handful of votes to win. Or we can castrate you, shove your balls down your throat and let you choke to death just before we burn down the building to get the freedom caucus on your side."
McCarthy: "When you put it like that, there's only one choice!"
Moderate Republican: "I have the knife and gasoline right here. I just need you to drop your pants."

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So how exactly does the whole "rules package" that I've seen mentioned a few times in regards to McCarthy's concessions work? Is it "The person elected as speaker provides the rules for that session of congress" or is it something provided by the leader of the majority party?

If Jeffries or Donalds win, do they get to introduce a different set of rules from what McCarthy was making concessions on?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Piell posted:

Lol Gaetz voted for Trump

Surprised he waited until the 7th vote before blowing his load like that. Guess we know what the floor is for Gaetz's preferred numbers.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Either vote for another candidate already or vote Present, you cowards.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Does McCarthy think that calling more votes will somehow magically get people to change their vote

does he think voting is a mantra and you just have to repeat it enough times

Maybe he's trying to speed run the "most losses for speaker votes" category?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

You can just... not vote. Let the reins of power slip, let the dems win this one. Just... don't vote.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How many more rounds of voting before the clerk starts the voting by announcing: "If you take longer than 10 seconds to give me a name after you start talking, I'm just listing you as "present"."?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"We have plans! We have 222 plans!"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

wouldn't that only last until all the Republicans return?

I can see a Chaos Orb congress happening where control shifts back and forth based on the # of people physically in the chamber at any given point in time.

If Jeffries is elected speaker, couldn't he just make the rule be "2/3 of the house must agree to elect a new speaker" and flip the bird to Republicans for the next two years?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

LOL that she thinks there's going to be serious legislating done.

They're going to vote for all the stupid investigations and whatever dumb poo poo the house tries to pass, they're just flexing right now.

There is a chance that she's just doing the "Hey, we're willing to reach out and come to an agreement with some Republicans, they're the ones not wanting to work with us" for the people who demand bi-partisanship from their elected officials.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Youremother posted:

Bringing a baby to these things is just straight up cruel for everybody involved, especially the baby

I... uh... I think that's McCarthy.

Wait, did someone ACTUALLY bring a baby to this? gently caress it, vote for the baby.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I would love to see some interviews with republicans who retired from the house in the last few years about their current feelings about not having to deal with this poo poo. On the other hand, idk how you transcribe 4 minutes of someone belly laughing into the receiver.

"When we reached out to the former representatives, they all just sent us back a picture of them laughing while drinking."

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

HPanda posted:

But there is a nonzero chance of them handing Democrats power through sheer stupidity and unforced errors.

Like they could lock their colleagues in the bathroom for some kind of tortured metaphor that only makes sense to them and accidentally give the Democrats a temporary majority. And don’t you dare say this scenario is too stupid to happen after everything we’ve seen. Sure it won’t happen, but we now live in a world where it’s plausible.

Or a few of them leave thinking that voting was done for the day and want to get ready for their appearance on Fox/OANN/*Insert other right-wing propaganda machine here*.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

Boebert seems genuinely shocked that she received no GOP memo stating that, much like "fiscal conservatism", all that "drain the swamp" talk was just something Republicans say they're going to do while they're in the opposition and then actually do the opposite when they're in charge.

Someone once summed up the "modern" (as in, pre- to early-Trump presidency) GOP as "People who didn't realize that politics were theater and are being was was previously acted". It just got worse since, and now you have people that are probably wondering how they can get gasoline in to literally burn it all down.

Edit:

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Would it not be somewhat to the advantage of Dems to, eventually, offer a deal where 25 of them take a long lunch break in return for some committee assignments, no debt ceiling shenanigans, and a limit on how many times they'll impeach Biden?

I guess on the other hand, letting the clowns run the circus for the next two years may pay off at the 2024 elections.

The dems have no reason to make such a deal right now, and even if they did, there's no reason for them to trust anything the Republicans promise them because the Chaos caucus would just call for a new speaker the nanosecond any payment on a potential deal was brought up.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 6, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

SixFigureSandwich posted:

They will vote in lockstep in opposition to the Dem trying to sneak through Speaker Jeffries. And if McCarthy becomes Speaker through sheer attrition then the HFC plus Dems can just vote to remove him again as soon as attendance is high enough again.

Except, and here's the important bit, if they were going to vote "in lockstep" to prevent Jeffries from being speaker, we would already have Speaker McCarthy. But because a handful were out of step, Jeffries has had a solid plurality of votes every election, and McCarthy is losing votes every day. As it stands, it's a hilarious waiting game that the Dems are somehow poised to win (hilarious in that McCarthy refuses to back down while the chaos caucus slams pineapples into his testicles while other Republicans are apparently talking about finding a more moderate alternative with the Dems) and hey, the Republicans are the ones talking about having lives outside the speakership vote, not the Dems.

While I don't think Jeffries is going to win it, as it stands, the Republicans are far from voting in lockstep, and there is a non-0% chance that Jeffries actually becomes Speaker at least for a few moments, even if it's just from "Dems showed up to work on Saturday while a few Republicans decided they would rather sleep in today".

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So when does the McCarthy ego-smasher 5000 start up today? Noon again?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How long can they feasibly adjourn for? Is there a hard limit, or could they technically adjourn until, say, "January 2026"?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So at what point is Gaetz/MTG/Boebert going to try to make a "big brain play" and "show that the Democrats are just as disorganized as us" and nominate the arch-extremist, AOC?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So does this end the Democrat's plurality win, or are they still winning in every sense of the word?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

nelson posted:

With their latest vote they’re closer than the Democrats.

And it only took them 12 tries to beat them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So what happens if they can't pass the new rules? Does everything just come to a halt, or is there some sort of "If the Speaker cannot pass rules for the house within X time, they are removed from Speaker position and a new vote for Speaker is held"... uh... rule?