Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Junpei posted:

Will you be using Engages to bolster unit's existing strengths, going 'with' the flow as it were (ie Marth goes on Alear because they get that bonus from being a Dragon, giving Sigurd to someone mounted, etc), or will you be using them to expand options on other units (ie by using Celica on, say, Chloe so she can cross-train into magic classes)?

Sigurd is almost certainly getting plastered to the dancer when they show up, because 3H showed us how loving cracked canto dancers are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Terper posted:

That does mean that if you use your full movement before taking your action, you get two spaces of free movement.

gently caress me, inheritable Canto 2?

Just strap Sigurd to loving everyone, until they all have it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Lord Koth posted:

I don't think there is synergy though? Both seem to be in-combat activations for themselves, so not exactly sure how you'd stack them.

Briefly looking over the others, Lapis' personal seems extremely dubious. +10 Hit/Avo, -10 Crit if there's an ally next to her is generally just not good for a swordfighter - the Avo is nice, but Hit's generally pointless and a penalty to crit is brutal. In general though I'm noticing a lot of rather niche personal skills there, many of which don't seem particularly useful

Yeah, there's nothing here that's near the level of like Rivalry in 3h.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Like on a pure technical basis the game blows 3h out of the water in terms of aiming for what it wants to do.

And what it wants to do is copy Genshin's artstyle.

That's going to have some fans for sure, but if you're just not into that or just tired of the saturation of that particular style then you're out of luck.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

the artstyle isnt really anything like genshin's. the colors are a lot more saturated, the face/eye shape is different, the character proportions are different, it uses different shading.

Yes okay, it is very technically different.

But Genshin has been hugely impactful on 3D character design and clearly impacts this game.

The influence and comparative are clear.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

wouldnt this game had to have started development before genshin even came out. i doubt they could have clocked this thing out in barely two years. three houses took 4 years to make.

Yeah probably. That doesn't mean that visual style wouldn't be influenced during development. The most basic alteration I can think of might well be the kind of shaders you want to use. But even then, models don't just get put in place and stay static for the entire development period.

babypolis posted:

and i was so careful with my language to avoid the anime debate.... :negative:

People are confusing "It looks visually like an incredibly popular modern anime game, which often can evoke mixed reactions," with "I dislike anime."

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Unlucky7 posted:

TBH there is always some subset of goons that hiss and shriek like vampires whenever they perceive anything remotely anime for pretty much everything.

Comments like this are hilarious given a primary detractor is talking about how much they prefer chainsaw man's style.

It's not about disliking anime.

Everyone I know who has issues with the visual style loving loves anime.

It's about the pursuit of a visual style within that medium that is a lot more colourful than 3h and even 3ds style.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 9, 2023

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
If the villains don't have a 13th ring that lets them Engage Grima I'm calling the game a failure.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
It's probably also a little reflective of reception.

3H came off Fates which ultimately had a mixed reception after initially strong reviews. So I think Nintendo consciously felt they needed to do more to energise the fanbase over a new game.

Engage comes off 3H which remains wildly popular and there's no system transition. So you have more latitude to count on the people who bought an enjoyed 3H to buy into this game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

im not even sure what mechanic shes referring to with 'saving your strongest attack for the reinforcements.' i guess gambits?

Aymr charges clearly.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
M Alear because I have no faith in FF representation and I'll be mad if I can't smooch a girl I like.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tired Moritz posted:

Eh, it's flavor. It's not like 3Houses where you can't be a male flying mage because ????

It's dumb. Boys should be allowed to have pretty flying horses.

Tsubaki being lame should not ban us from our horses.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Tanith being good is an argument for better writing, not restricting men from stuff that's perceived to be female coded.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

i mean i dont really think thats the whole of it given that seadall and rosado exist, in this game. i seriously dont interpret the female only peg knight thing as 'grr we dont want men to ride the pegasi, thatd be gay'

Then what is it? Because it's Fire Emblem tradition? They broke that with Tsubaki in Fates and even if it was, in Fire Emblem women traditionally aren't allowed to punch things and that's stupid as well.

The tradition is sexist, it's grounded in the concept that only pure maidens are worthy of riding horses, it should be consigned to the bin. You can be progressive in some areas but that doesn't make you immune to criticism for areas where you're not.

(Technically that's the tradition with the unicorn but FE just seems to blend the two. Which in of itself is weird because the Pegasus is, at least in Greek mythology, this incredible animal of war that Greek heroes fly around on all the time)

I really do love these illustrations, they've done wonders for rehabilitating the characters in my eyes.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

i mean cordelia and sumia gently caress halfway through awakening so

Yeah that's not actually a counterpoint. It's a sexist tradition, it doesn't mean that the FE devs know why it's sexist any more.

It's loving stupid in every way.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

im not sure what would be a counterpoint in your eyes.

Sexism is bad.

There is no counterpoint.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Look, the need for female spaces for growth and safety is something that I recognise.

But I think that the restriction of men from things which have already been coded as female dominated is counterproductive to the overall goal.

It is significantly more powerful and subversive in the status quo for a man to be allowed to wear a cute skirt and fly on a pretty flying horse than it is for them to be restricted to women.

That being said if you restricted Brawler to women and Pegasus knights to men, I'd consider that to be really loving interesting.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Deltasquid posted:

This gave me visions of an obviously straight and masculine-coded man riding the pretty horse. I'm talking like, a Geralt type of guy on a pink pegasus and when people point it out he goes "yeah? you got a problem with my war steed?" and they shut up pretty quickly. His wife can be a brawler.

Ah so Bellerophon then.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Pegasi hating men lore goes far beyond Fire Emblen

It's not actually that common.

It's much more true for unicorns. But the pegasus is pretty much just a war steed and was seen as such by the Greeks who came up with the myth.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

tbh i like byleth more than robin. people propping robin up as this font of how to do it right always feels really weird to me because they're too written to project anything interesting onto but also barely have anything resembling a personality or interesting conflict. at least byleth has the vague suggestion that they care about people but have difficulty showing it in a normal human way.

Robin has an incredibly interesting personality to them in combination with Chrom. They are the caution to Chrom's bravado and Chrom is the courage to their cowardice. The interplay between the two characters is the core of Awakening.

Robin's personality as a straight man to the insanity around them is also good because it only holds up to a point at which point they just embrace the madness and go all in. Like Tharja's proposal is Robin demand she do it to his back because she's been stalking him for so long that he feel uncomfortable with her proposing to his face.

Like if you prefer FRobin, unfortunately you just have a weaker character because FRobin reads romantically with Chrom and that just vastly reduces the other avenues available for the character.

It's genuinely weird to me that someone could see Robin as *absent* a personality, given all we see of them.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Metis of the Hallway posted:

Yeah I found byleth really charming in their weirdness when I first played it. I eventually got a bit sick of them due to protagonist overload which always happens to me, but then three hopes reminded me why I liked them in the first place.

Hopes Byleth is loving amazing.

Sothis!Byleth is even more amazing.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Who did you +10 first?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I never finished three houses, I got just before the... Time skip? And stopped. I will probably go back later on, but I didn't like the persona aspects because it makes me metagame it hard, cause I do not replay games anymore, and I didn't like I couldn't just grind to my heart's content like in awakening, which was :perfect:

I ordered this so maybe this one will stick

Turns out there's a bug that *does* let you grind forever.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Zore posted:

I think I'd probably rate the games I played like this

Still think Awakening is probably my favorite FE period. I also think Birthright is probably the best Fates gets and I give it a lot of points for having fun new spins on classes/aesthetics even if it flubs almost everything else. It helps that I think it has a pretty boring but overall passable story compared to Rev/Conquest. So its Shadow Dragon tier instead of being at the absolute bottom :v:

I haven't played a lot of them but Awakening/Por/3H/All of Fates are exactly where I'd sit them. So good job clone.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I thought FE3H was like mid to good on release.

Maddening made me put it in good to great.

Repeating White Clouds is dull until the game makes you optimise White Clouds so you can keep up with the enemy.

I enjoyed the monastery when it became a game about carefully training and ensuring that my students came out of the first half absolutely perfect, instead of a thing that barely mattered because lol nothing is actually going to challenge me.

Mapping out stuff like the early Catherine recruitment alongside early Leonie was satisfying for me, even if there were downsides like fishageddon 2022.

And yeah just the sheer joy I got from finally cracking the game wide open with character builds that nobody else had thought of before was really satisfying.

Playing PoR for the first time, I'm struck by how little creativity there is in unit building and I just miss that aspect from Three Houses a lot.

Like my Oscar is just poo poo, there's nothing I can do to make him not poo poo, or even remotely functional, so into a corner he goes never to see the light of day again, despite hours of time invested into him.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

RevolverDivider posted:

This is something I like about the older, lower growth rate games. Sometimes somebody just turns out like poo poo and you either need to work around them or sub them out. It’s sometimes nice when an all star just shits the bed from RNG and someone you normally wouldn’t bother trying gets a chance to shine. The older games have such big rosters you’re never really going to get hurt by someone not turning out well.

Right but I'm probably not playing the game again.

Like this works on the assumption that you'll play the Fire Emblem game more than once. But I've invested my time in getting to know Oscar, unlocking supports, having him tool around with his brothers and now having him in my army makes it more likely that my other characters die.

Like it's nice that there are later recruits, but it's also just kinda poo poo that my Ilyana, who I love, is useless and just gets deleted because Calil is better than her in every possible way.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

i mean do you mean fe9 or fe10 because i wouldnt really say theres that big a gap between calill and ilyana in either game

Calil has better magic, speed and has access to every siege tome, it's not even close.

Everyone yelled at me for hoarding my stat boosters so I spent them all on Ike and Nephenee.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

deploying two sages is pretty reasonable with the amount of deployment slots fe9 tends to give you and the fact that calill is knives instead of staves

Oh right but Soren is also just better than Ilyana.

And also kinda important because he's at B support with Ike right now.

Limited supports also suck. I want all my characters to be friends and I hate that my Jill can't be best friends with Mist if I want her to be best friends with Lethe.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Delphisage posted:

If you don't enjoy the older style of Fire Emblem before FE13, you don't have to keep playing it.

I'm having fun, there are just obvious problems to me with certain mechanics.

WrightOfWay posted:

Mages are just kinda bad compared to other options in PoR. There's several reasons for that (low movement, low might exacerbated by only basic tomes being forgeable, higher enemy Res compared to Def than most games in the series) but also PoR is one of the easiest games in the series so who really cares if a character is suboptimal. Use Ilyana and Rolf if you want to.

Eh, I thought that too and then I didn't deploy my coked up Neph, Tanith or Astrid on the map with Naesala and three people died.

I do use Rolph though because mine's speed blessed and has a Brave bow for quads.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Because feeling excluded because of your dumb brain sucks.

Like that's pretty much it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

lih posted:

who exactly is the game supposedly pandering to that you're complaining about anyway? people who like busier character designs? people who like saturated colours? people who hated the monastery in 3h?

So from what I've gathered it's basically:

1. The story as is, seems focused entirely on a fun romp through the world of Fire Emblem without real stakes because it's intended as an anniversary game. Contrasted with the grounded tone of Three Houses and the ambition of that game's story, even if the execution was off, the regression back to a by the numbers plot is disappointing.

2. Engages are a celebration of the history of Fire Emblem, but huge portions of the fanbase came in with games post Awakening, at which point a lot of advertising has focused on a huge number of nothing lords from games you don't care about. Additionally the characters from the post Awakening games are Corrin and Byleth, arguably two of the least interesting characters in their own games.

3. Engages just seem utterly busted, so it feels like we're going to get a game with no real ability to balance around the power the player has been given.

4. The artstyle is super colourful, which again, contrasts the grounded nature of where three houses was.

5. The ingame models for women are weird. (Which isn't an artstyle thing, but a translation of that artstyle to 3d)

Personally, I share some, but not all, of these concerns, (for example, the actual art for the characters rules) but most of that is offset by how much I just enjoy meat and potatoes Fire Emblem. I can say I'm less hype for this than I was going into 3H though, which was much more my vibe.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

three houses didnt look 'grounded' it looked like a level from tiny tank for the ps1. important distinction

Yeah it did, the product of the dark shades, the generally more angular models lent itself to that feel.

There is a clear goal they were aiming for with the model and graphic design of that game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

the clear goal:

Hey don't you loving disrespect tiny tank. That poo poo rules.

But in all seriousness if you don't get that visuals are hugely important parts of tone then I have no idea why you're contributing to that discussion.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm a fairweather Fire Emblem fan that couldn't tell you what any game is without the subtitle so iust be missing something. So, what're the other games with the supremely bad stories that'll get you beaten up or ridiculed by passerbys that people seem paranoid about?

I mean, I just wasn't paying attention to any of the conversations when Three Houses was new and hot on the scene so I missed many of the arguments on the internet, and someone eventually revealing military information on Fire Emblem forums to win the arguments and going to jail as a result.

People hate Fates. But that's because the entire thing is just a loving mess from top to bottom.

Three Houses and its plot have a level of ambition to them. It's not ambition that is completely fulfilled but christ did Intsys have a real go of it.

(It's helped by Three Hopes essentially allowing Intsys to address lots of the things they couldn't get to the first time)

I think a lot of people would have enjoyed a game of that same ambition but done even better rather than dialling things back because that scope is too hard.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Delphisage posted:

Did IS write Three Hopes, or did Koei-Tecmo?

Cursory googling doesn't give a clear picture.

Developer credits are to Intsys and Omega Force, which are Nintendo/KT respectively, so I'd imagine pretty strong contribution from Intsys on the plot.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Deltasquid posted:

Call me crazy but I think Silver Snow works better than Verdant Wind. Not a lot of the plot beats make sense from the perspective of the golden deer, and a lot of it makes sense for the Church with Byleth in the driver seat (kinda... Having to lean on Seteth)

You're not really wrong.

A lot of what Claude does never really makes sense for him, why is he invading the Empire? Why is he trying to free Rhea? To get answers to questions he has no real reason to care about when she's been deposed? It's all a product of VW being copy pasted from SS.

And then of course, the last bosses of VW and SS are the wrong way around which also doesn't help.

All of the stuff that Claude does makes a bunch more sense when you're just Byleth and Seteth.

It's then, of course, held in contrast to the loving tour de force that is Hopes Claude who loving rules.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Hopes gives Claude plenty of reason to attack Dimitri.

Rhea is there.

If Dimitri wins the war against the empire, Rhea locks Fodlan back up again and Claude is hosed.

His entire invasion of Faerghus is because he wants to ice Rhea. His alliance with Edelgard is perfectly sensible because there is literally no conflict between their objectives about Fodlan.

Edelgard only invades Leceister to keep them out of play and because she doesn't trust anyone. When it becomes apparent that she can't take them off the board, she comes to the negotiating table and it turns out that she and Claude would work really well together.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

RevolverDivider posted:

Hopes Claude would probably be my favorite lord in the series if Edelgard did not exist.

My favourite Lord is as close to a three way tie as you can get between those two and Lucina.

Lucy is in some ways less complex but they play her survivor's guilt really well and I love her for it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Micaiah's so cool

Why does she hate armour and horses so much?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

lih posted:

there are people who think that?

Yes, basically the case is that:

A) Golden Wildfire makes no sense. Why does Claude ally with the empire and retreat from Faerghus? All of those decisions are stupid!

B) Claude in Three Houses is a nice boy who doesn't do anything bad, he's much more ambiguous in hopes and this is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

^burtle posted:

Wait people thought 3H was dark and gritty?

I mean compared to other fire emblem? Yeah?