Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Tae posted:

Just beat chapter 17 on maddening just now as well, underrated skill no one talks about is Corrin's engaged attacks just do 100% freeze aoe so as long as your unit (Alear in my case) can survive a combat round, she can lockdown bosses while you deal with others.

My Kagetsu is reclassed into Wyvern Rider which pays dividend because he has 26 str now which uh...is busted for kagetsu.

100% wrath Panne definitely cleaned a lot of things alongside Dire Thunder Ivy.

I might have to switch Fogado back to Cupido because oops, I forged a brave bow and forgot literally no one on my team can use it because I used Alycrst last run and forgot he was the only A bow user.

I had Corrin on Alear too and just spammed fire when it came to the last two bosses. They both have 5 move so their minions would waddle into the flames and get picked off one by one while they could barely get through a single tile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Harrow posted:

DLC Emblems coming today, and they also previewed the wave 4 story DLC, "Fell Xenologue"

I wonder if it'll be extra maps for an actual playthrough or a totally siloed thing like Cindered Shadows

Based on what I've seen of the datamining the campaign dlc is going to be about more dragon babbies and alt versions of the other 3 hounds so I could see it going either way

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
lol Hector is so grossly overtuned he basically stole all of Camilla's axe poo poo on top so now her emblem makes her look like a pegasus knight

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

Promoting Louis into a great knight.... Should I go Lance/Axe? It seems pretty fitting and I have a general lack of axe users so far through chapter 9.

He's too bulky and speed deficient to be swinging a dinky sword around so axe is the safer bet

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Notty posted:

Movement is weak in the early game when you have access to Sigurd on smaller maps with weaker enemies.

All of that changes after Ch10, and you also don’t have access to the really crazy warp shenanigans until the last third of the game. You do really start to feel 4 mov in the second act of the game.

That said, it’s not a huge commitment to just play Great Knight for a bit then second to General or vice versa depending on the circumstance.

A lv 30 Louis on maddening will have a whole 2 more def as General so yeah it barely matters. I'd only change him to general if you want to tape Sigurd to him permanently and even then you're going to feel the lost of that 2 move more times than not. GK also synergizes better with momentum which Louis appreciates for one shotting mages

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Tae posted:

If you don't have a slot for anything else, definitely invest in hit+ on the cheap late-game.

Better off with Divine Pulse+, it's hilarious how much it triggers on someone with poo poo hit like Ivy, who doesn't even have the luck to improve the skill

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

Celica's Paralogue done. A comedy in three acts:

Turn 1 of Celica's Paralogue, Player Phase
Me: "Let's see... I realize it's Normal and the AI is kinda dumb, but there's no way she'll actually Leeroy Jenkins herself all the way across the map if I step on this one tile at the very edge of her Warp Ragnarok range, right?"

Turn 1 of Celica's Paralogue, Enemy Phase
Celica: "FUCKIN' YOLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" :byodood: *yeets herself across the map with Warp Ragnarok and deals a whopping 4 damage to Ivy*

Turn 2 of Celica's Paralogue, Player Phase
Me: "... Okay then." *Thoron from Celine, Tomahawk from Diamant, first health bar deleted, Cataclysm from Ivy w/Draconic Hex attached, Nosferatu from Hortensia polishes off the second health bar, map ends*

Half-tempted to go back and do it properly for the gold and experience but... :effort:

She just bumbles into your range after 4 or 5 turns so there's no real material difference outside the couple k gold and few scrapes of exp from the initial batch of units

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Alfred as a 10/20 Avenir

Alfred as a 10/20 Great Knight

Avenir is a garbo trap option

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Spd on a unit that can't crack 20 by lv 30 is irrelevant beyond avoiding melting to single non thoron mage units which can be countered by food/speed tonics for most of the game and the GK comes with an easily activated skill that adds another 3 def/res and the ability to wield harder hitting axes. Also have to lol that GK has a dramatically better dex growth than the class that desperately needs its skill to be relevant

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Don't forget Alcryst and his 70% Luna growth rate

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Kanos posted:

Micaiah is too powerful to not go on your primary staffbot, be that Hortensia or someone else. Byleth can easily go on anyone, losing one attacker isn't a big deal when said attacker is giving multiple people another turn. To squeeze the most damage out you could probably just give Byleth to whoever you have as a hero assist bot.

Yeah Byleth on a chain attack filler unit is actually incredibly good, that's how I was able to oneshot the Celica summoners with a luna astra shot and suck up most of the exp on her paralogue

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Harrow posted:

Speaking of the DLC, do you think the Soren ring's interaction with the Dragon type is a bug or an incorrect tooltip?

The tooltip says that his Flare engage skill doubles critical hit damage when used by a Dragon unit, but what it actually does is double critical hit chance. This is absolutely busted with Veyle using Obscurité, who easily reaches 100% crit chance. Granted that's only while engaged but still, it's extremely strong and I'm curious if it's bugged or if the tooltip's just wrong.

必殺が二倍になる = hissatsu ga nibai ni naru = [the term FE uses for critical hit chance that appears directly above critical hit dodge on an engage character's stat screen] becomes double

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Kanos posted:

The thing about wolf knight isn't just the stats, it's having access to knives, which are the best general-use physical weapon type in the game and it's not even close. Other classes might win out by a few points in a couple of stats but they don't get knives. Steel Daggers are insanely powerful for their cost to upgrade, and if you need raw brute power at range 1 a sufficiently upgraded stiletto or peshkatz is competitive with a silver axe with much more accuracy and far less weight.

Yes a +3 silver dagger is 1-2 range, deals 16 damage and has 95 hit before engraves with barely any weight and only costs around 300 30 4 or something in forge materials, damage is not an issue for Merrin especially since she has like 38spd by lv 40

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 22, 2023

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Yeah you're tanking her spd by 5 points for 6-7 more str and weapons that will likely weigh her down even further that have far worse accuracy and will be doing by and large less damage than a forged dagger, cutting into the str advantage. The flying utility is lost if she can't consistently double the 30+ spd maddening endgame

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Your 12th/14th is generally going to be some mediocre backup bot anyway so she can fill that role out, albeit sub-optimally without a hero reclass

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Chloe is one of the few characters who can naturally hit the 38-40 spd threshold so you want to give her some sources of true damage to offset her noodle arms if you intend to use her past the early game. Erika or 2000sp for Gentility are the easiest options and Momentum does help in the mid game though it potentially costs early Canter and eats a hole through her sp. Merrin is easier to make work due to her bases and I'm pretty sure Rosado makes a better griffin though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I have bought every western release of fire emblem since they started coming out and, until very recently, played a total of 0 of them.

I just completed the very first western release on the gameboy advance.

My thoughts are:

I enjoyed the gameplay (except 2 part final chapter, what a terrible slog). I disliked the story and pretty much all the characters. After chapter 20 I was skipping all the dialog and never felt I missed anything.

I’m reaching out to ask for help. Which western release fire emblem has the most refined gameplay? I really had fun playing the GBA game.

Story doesn’t matter because I’ll likely end up skipping it. If it does have a good story, that’s a bonus.

- Sacred Stones is just a refined version of the first western release and mildly easier

- Path of Radiance is the first 3d game and introduces its own elements and is probably the most well written game in the series but normal NA mode is Japanese easy and the real hardest difficulty was never localized so you want to play on hard if you don't want to sleep walk through it and the 3d animations can be gruelling to sit through

-Radiant Dawn is the sequel to that one and is the biggest and most unwieldy of the western releases as far as single campaigns go which means it has some of the highest highs and lowest lows in a single game, mostly mechanically. It shares a lot of the same weaknesses as Path of Radiance along with its own unique ones and has weaker writing but is still the only game that adds map elevation as an aspect of gameplay

- Awakening is a massive regression gameplay wise and leans more on nostalgia and couple matchmaking, more Disgaea number go big than anything inherent to the series

- Fates Conquest is probably the most refined in the sense that you can feel the developers actively loving with you on every map, there's deliberate thought in every tile and enemy placement and it unfucks Awakening's gameplay gimmicks and takes a lot of the excessive rng out of them

- Three Houses is in sort of a midway point between the previous two in terms of gameplay and mechanics but sprinkles Persona style sim poo poo on top and is the first game to bother with world building since Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn

-Engage has the most going on mechanically but relies on a lot of nostalgia and gameplay assumptions that you might not have if you've only played a gba game in addition to the new stuff it adds, I would play one more from a different era for at least a few hours before jumping to that

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 6, 2023