Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I think we'll view the characters more favorably as we unlock more supports. For example I just unlocked Celine/Alcryst C support and it added quite a bit more context to the Alfred and his obsession with muscles. Some of the bond conversations are just delightfully dumb and pointless. The Roy/Louis one is just Louis going "Did you notice that our names are both vowels bookended by consonants" and Roy going "Huh I never noticed that. That's cool. "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
This game definitely feels like the game where base stats matter the least. I Second sealed my level 2 Vander to a General and with the Ike ring, he may not be quite as good as my trained Louis, but he could still fulfill the same role in a pinch. It's also kind of silly seeing these Greataxes that provide more might than my character with the highest strength on my team.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
For as hard as chapter 17 was, I just did a skirmish on that map and it wasn't that bad relative to other skirmishes. The map is so big that enemies are forced to trickle in in manageable groups rather than arriving all at once.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
One little trick I found to getting more gold is to make sure to always do the wyvern minigame once it unlocks. It gives you a couple consumables which you can sell for about 500-1500 gold depending on what you get which isn't bad for about 3 minutes of effort. Apparently donating to Elusia makes gold skirmishes more likely to appear than other areas so it could be worth maxing that one first if your goal is to get all the nations maxed out.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Avalerion posted:

Is Fogado, and his unique class good? Not sure what it's wanting to do with the counter skill... wondering if he wouldn't be better off as a warrior.

On Hard I find Fogado to be the best of my archers at taking out fliers. Alcryst and Etie have higher strength but enemy wyverns have reached a point where they have just enough HP and Defense to take one bow shot and enough speed to not get doubled by them. Cupido Fogado on the other hand has a 65% speed growth. I think he's actually the fastest unit on my team so he doubles and KOs them effortlessly. The extra movement is handy for sniping fliers as well.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I think Alfred's bunch all have a similar problem where they really need to immediately hit their growths in key stats to remain competitive with the power curve of later characters. Alfred's early game bulk is nice but if he doesn't hit his 45% speed growth early and often then he's going to start getting doubled very quickly which will cause his bulk advantage to evaporate.

Yunaka would get my vote for best character in the game. Thief is a very nice class to start out in as it gives her more move, promoted growths and 1-2 range. Her personal synergizes very well with the covert class bonus and the extra might knife forges get makes her snowball very quickly. Chloe would be my second pick but honestly none of the characters stand out too much compared to the rest. I think the discussion about which emblem ring is the best is more interesting.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Tae posted:

Triangleattack averages gives me despair, my god Boucheran is so bad. Even at optimal feeding and promoting, he's not remotely beating Goldmary by the time she joins.

Boucheron is a late bloomer. His growths in Warrior are pretty balanced so eventually you have a unit with decent enough base speed and dex and enough build to use almost any weapon without penalty. I gave mine a forged Tomahawk and Resolve to shore up his defenses and he's probably my best unit. His HP stat is massive and one shotting mages with the Tomahawk is very fun.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I've played through the DLC. Chrom and Robin are even gayer than Ike and Soren. Their conversation with Lucina after the map is delightful. Veronica has a skill that takes half of your missing HP and adds it to attack which is very fun on my 94 HP Boucheron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

blizzardvizard posted:

From what I gather Nil being a weak, forced unit you have to defend is an intentional design decision, he even gets lower stats at higher difficulties.

That's incredibly funny. I did the first three maps on hard. You can cheese the first couple maps with prepromoted characters but after that it seems like everyone else catches up pretty quick. While you can't trade items for the new units on the preperation screen you can dump a bunch of your teams equipment into the convoy and have them take it out from there so you can get Zelestia an Elfire or something so she's not stuck with Elthunder for her ranged option. Also gives you like 40 charges of Fortify every map if you so chose. I can't imagine doing this on maddening as soon as you can. The third map was incredibly rude even with units with endgame skill sets and all the emblems.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Apr 5, 2023