Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Zore posted:

Surely an RD playthrough is longer than a 3 Houses one, even with the Monestary?

howlongtobeat.com gives 42 hours for Main Story for RD and 47 for 3H. So they're pretty comparable, though 3H is definitely more geared around repeat playthroughs than RD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Mages are just kinda bad compared to other options in PoR. There's several reasons for that (low movement, low might exacerbated by only basic tomes being forgeable, higher enemy Res compared to Def than most games in the series) but also PoR is one of the easiest games in the series so who really cares if a character is suboptimal. Use Ilyana and Rolf if you want to.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

RevolverDivider posted:

3-13 is probably the best map in the franchise honestly

I kinda go back and forth on it. I don't really like Laguz as an enemy type, and I think it holds the map back a bit since they don't have ranged attacks. Though it is cool that you can end the map by killing Ike, and that doing so means that you have probably spent the entire Dawn Brigade parts of the game preparing for it.

I look forward to seeing 3-13 again in Engage, since I think it has been spotted in some trailers.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

three houses didnt look 'grounded' it looked like a level from tiny tank for the ps1. important distinction

The ground is brown.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The best part of Gareth is that he gets one rounded by the (infinite range) final boss if you don't put him on a cover tile so you can't even use his buff to maximum effectiveness.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Maybe they just wanted a Red Dragon playable because they had all the other colours.

Ena already joined.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Shiny777 posted:

fe10 ena is so bad at every part of being a red dragon other than "stand next to people while having blood tide" it could be argued she doesn't count

That's the only good part of being a dragon in FE10, though, so she passes with flying colors.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Syrnn posted:

I'm excited for Engage mostly mechanically as an opportunity to reignite my love of the series. I found 3H to be a sublime aesthetic, and I'll freely admit that I'm not very good at these games so it's comparatively lower difficulty catered to me immensely. I still play Hard/Classic but it's been frustrating and I straight up can't even manage the hard difficulties in Shadow Dragon, where I'm currently sucking at Ch.13 The Wooden Cavalry in normal. It sucks because most of the advice I see for getting better at FE amounts to "check ranges" or "do the math yourself" as if the series hasn't had both of those things automated for the player for ages. It very much feels like "git gud" kind of advice which is... Not helpful.

It's weird to me because I ate the GBA titles without ever feeling super stressed by them but I'm struggling to fire up Awakening again because the difficulty feels very front loaded and I don't have the same time to waste on it as I had, so my finished save mocks me from the top of the list. Maybe this is a personal problem with analysis paralysis and poo poo, but I really hope Engage keeps up the accessibility that 3H offered because I definitely put it at the top of my FE experiences.

So the main thing with "check ranges" and "do the math yourself" is that you need to do them when the game doesn't tell you that answer. Stuff like showing all enemy ranges is super useful, but you still want to double check some things. For instance, some tiles on the very edge of the total threat range might be in range of multiple melee enemies and even more ranged ones. Similarly there are lots of times where enemies in range of your units on enemy phase are too far away for you to check the combat preview and that's when it is helpful to do the math yourself. You don't always need to check every single modifier, but just a basic enemy attack - your unit's defense to get a ballpark amount of damage is fine a lot of times unless the damage is close, in which case you can check in more detail.

A lot of getting better at Fire Emblem is just using all the information that is available to you.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Tae posted:

No, FE3H showed aggro lines to which unit they'll attack but also give a combat forecast of how much damage they'll do to that target when you highlight the enemy.

Engage will show lines to all enemies that are in range to attack the highlighted character but doesn't specify who they will attack for sure, it's just a visual shorthand. Minor mechanical spoiler that has probably been in trailers: it will also show how much damage an enemy in range with an Engage attack skill charged will deal, but that's the only thing that that will tell you damage outside of the combat forecast that I have noticed.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Harrow posted:

Going by what people are saying, it sounds like reclassing isn't really a big factor this time around unless you go out of your way for it, maybe? Like something to maybe spice up repeat playthroughs or let you do weird things with a unit you want to put extra effort into, but not something you should expect to do regularly on a first playthrough?

Most characters only have 3 or 4 reclass options by default, but you don't have to go that far out of the way to get additional proficiencies if you choose to do so. By the time you get access to your first Second Seal, you have Emblems that will give you every proficiency except Martial Arts, and you can just spend some Bond Fragments to immediately level up Emblems to the appropriate level you need. It's a pretty cheap amount of fragments, too. That said, only promoted classes give skills and you only have 3 slots between both class skills and inherited Emblem skills, so the main reason for reclassing is because you want to play the character as that class (and maybe lategame because it resets your level, I'm not sure what level you are expected of your units by the end of the game.)

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Vander's biggest problem is that his EXP gain is garbage even by Jeigan standards. In a lot of games boss kills will still give 30ish EXP, but Vander is getting less than 15 early game. It means that he gets massively outstripped by other units in every aspect but durability (where he is quite solid thanks to his great HP) very quickly. I am a big Jeigan supporter but I was pretty disappointed with Vander overall. Maybe he'll shine more on Maddening when I do that.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Barreft posted:

dumb question here, Yunaka has a Thief class that requires lvl 40 to second seal. I'm not even sure my question, what's the point I guess. Do I get anything special leveling her Thief from 23 -> 40 change to this thief?

All classes require you to be at max level in order to Second Seal them into the same class and Thief (and Dancer) has a level cap of 40. You can freely Second Seal into a different class at any time, though.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, the main downside of promoting at 10 is that it will significantly slow your EXP growth. I think waiting a few extra levels is a good idea unless you really need that extra movement now but there's not much reason to wait longer than 15 or 16 if you have access to the Master Seals.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Einander posted:

You know, I thought my Yunaka was freakishly blessed on Strength and Defense for a Thief, sitting at 14 and 13 at level 16, but Zelkov is level 17 with 15/14. I guess they're just like that in this game!

Steel. It's Steel for Swords and Lances to get their magical weapons, and Silver for Axes and Bows. Sadly, the Levin Sword and Radiant Bow are good and the other two are strictly worse; the Hurricane Axe in particular is pretty garbage, being range 1 locked and a Heavy weapon, so it can't double and it goes second.

Hurricane Axe is at least a 20 might effective weapon so you can murder the poo poo out of fliers even with trash magic, but yeah, it's not great.

Carlosologist posted:

Is there a lore reason for Leif giving out weapon proficiencies like crazy? I never played Thracia but I’m guessing that’s a nod to that game?

It almost feels worth it to give every main roster member a training session to pick up all the weapons for experimenting purposes. I love how easy it is to train bond ranks too

In FE4 he promoted to Master Knight, a class that could use every weapon type.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Kanos posted:

I actually think it goes too far in the case of non-flying mounts. +1 movement from being on a horse or a wolf does not remotely make up for the loss of an infantry passive, at all. For the first time in an FE game, cavalry feel pretty poo poo. Maybe they need like a one-tile canter baseline?

Flyers are fine.

+1 movement is plenty strong. Yeah, fliers also get that, but Cavalry needing to worry about a far less common effective weapon type than bows and being able to benefit from terrain is still a useful niche.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Kanos posted:

I'm trying to decide if there's a real merit to mage knight on maddening or if all sages all the way is the approach. The passive is pretty useful, getting levin swords and flame spears is easy and gives your mages powerful break access, and +1 mov is always nice, but losing a couple of points of base mag, the mystical archetype, and staff access is a loving killer.

Mystical is the most situational of the unit types imo so it mostly comes down to more move or staves. Staves are probably too good to pass up, though.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Of the three melee magic weapons, Levin Sword is by far the best. It's statistically better in every category than Flame Lance, available earlier, and breaking axes is going to be generally more useful on a 1-2 range mage for avoiding counter attacks than breaking swords. Hurricane Axe can murder fliers real good, I guess, but a forged Elwind tome does that well enough already.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

RuBisCO posted:

The additional tip to this is that trading works the same way. You can put a unit next to one that has already moved, reorganize the weapon of choice to the top slot, and then exit out and still attack with the original unit. Note that once you trade you can't move again, so you'll have to commit.

For example, Unit 1 moves next to an enemy and attacks with an iron lance. This leaves them open to ranged attacks with no counter, so Unit 2 moves behind Unit 1, trades to swap their iron lance with a javelin, and then does whatever (like attacking the original enemy unit with a hand axe).

Though keep in mind that since Engage weapons aren't traditional inventory items, you can't use Trade to make another unit change to or from an Engage weapon.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Eimi posted:

Do you keep the skill or only regain once you hit 5 again?

You keep it if you Second Seal back into the same class. I'm not sure what happens if you Second Seal out of and then back into a class, though.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I respect Lyn's paralogue; it's not her fault you never actually fight any Sacaeans in FE7. I'd rather have what we got than any of her maps, doubly so for The Distant Plains if that meant including its rain gimmick.

Though the maddest of them all has to be Leif's, true to form. I'm proud of myself for clearing it without any staff gimmicks.

I warpskipped Leif's map, which I feel is getting into the spirit of Thracia 776.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I think the most useful promotions (divorced from all context, obviously this isn't universal) are units that swap from a foot unit to a mounted one (going from 4 to 6 movement is huge) and units that gain staves or a useful secondary weapon type. Lowest priority is probably Knight to General because they don't gain movement, though they do probably see a lot of combat so maybe they want the stat boost more than some of your other units in some circumstances.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

poe meater posted:

My Anna is still an axe fighter at level 8. If I want to change her to a high priest, what is the correct upgrade path?

Also any other class recommendations for her?

Best way to do it at this point is to 1.) make sure she has Tome, Arts and Staff proficiency 2.) continue leveling her to 10 and promote her to whatever class and then 3.) Second Seal her to High Priest.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

poe meater posted:

Okay so I would master seal her at lvl 10 to whatever advanced class and then immediately second seal her to High Priest?

I get confused because looking at it right now, High Priest requires fists, tome, and staff proficiency with Martial Monk Lvl 10.

Yeah you can Second Seal from any promoted class into any other promoted class as long as you have the correct proficiencies. The reason you promote first is that Second Sealing from Axe Fighter to Martial Monk would reset you to level 1 so you would have to get back up to level 10 before promoting to High Priest.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Tiki also gets Arts Proficiency if you have DLC.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

It's useful for Jean and Anne so you can put them into better classes from level 1. That's it i think.

And even then you don't get any Second Seals until (assuming you do both Paralogues) 4 maps after Jean joins and 2 maps after Anna joins. Jean is low enough level that it's not a huge deal to reclass him but Anna can easily be level 7 or 8 by then so it's a lot harder of a decision. It would be nice if there was a Second Seal in the initial shop or something.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Supremezero posted:

:abrathink: If you have a dagger user do a backup attack via Dual Strike, does it poison?

No, the weapon for Dual Strike only matters for range.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The main things High Priest gets over Sage are Fortify (without needing inherent staff proficiency) and Qi Adept. Fists are kinda whatever, but occasionally useful. And I guess it gets the S rank staff, but the S rank staff is not good.

Royal Knight has arguably a better skill for a full support unit than Griffin Knight and not fearing bows/wind magic is pretty useful and a solid trade off for not flying.

Berserker isn't great, though, yeah, and unlike the others it's the same unit type and base class so there isn't really much of a niche.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Personal Skill tier list (not ordered within tiers):

Would be good on a unit with 0 in all stats except movement:
Alear
Veyle

Does something useful frequently/does something very useful occasionally:
Boucheron
Chloe
Yunaka
Alcryst
Zelkov
Panette
Hortensia
Seadall
Rosado
Goldmary
Lindon
Anna
Jean

Does something useful occasionally/does something less useful frequently:
Framme
Alfred
Louis
Citrinne
Lapis
Diamant
Amber
Jade
Kagetsu
Pandreo
Timerra
Merrin
Saphir
Mauvier

Technically does something:
Vander
Clanne
Etie
Celine
Ivy
Fogado
Bunet

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The first level of donations probably pays for itself in additional forge materials, but not until the back half of the game when Paralogues start opening up.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm at level 10 and my Jean has a couple more points in magic than strength so High Priest checks out

Is General or GK a better class for Louis, or in general really

General doesn't care about the weapon triangle and Great Knight has good movement. Both are very good imo, so user preference really.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I do think being able to rewind enables playing a bit riskier, though not to nearly the same degree as Casual mode. There are definitely times where I will gamble on an 80% hit chance when the counter attack would kill the character. Without rewinding I would probably try to find a different way to handle that situation most of the time. I am kinda surprised that Maddening doesn't reduce the number of charges you get per map, because 10 is quite a lot.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I think people generally underrate Marth. He's one of the best offensive Engages. I think he's hurt somewhat by people not fully grasping the Engage system prior to Chapter 11, and then already having established pairs once he returns. So he might end up being misused because he just goes to whichever unit didn't already have an Engage ring.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Hellioning posted:

Honestly every single revival stone boss so far has been 'bait with tanky unit/lyn clones, then kill all their healthbars or someone will die' with me. The mages are usually easier because they're generally squishier.

Anyway I think we should stop giving you units and force you to recruit everyone on the battlefield. Especially your jeigan.

An entire army of Rallymans.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

You gotta get them the skills trained up, but after that, you have to use at least one, but much more often one of each type of seal on them and the game has given me six master seals and even fewer second seals so far, which feels like too few even if I were benching units. Maybe it opens up quite a bit more in the back two thirds.

You get 3 Second Seals in the item shop starting after Chapter 8 and an additional 3 every time the shop updates (every 2-3 maps) until they eventually become infinite. It would be nice if you could get one earlier than that, but after Chapter 8 you will have access to plenty of Second Seals.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

mycatscrimes posted:

In all seriousness though, what does biorhythm actually do? Is its effect meaningful? I've never been able to figure it out when playing.

It gives you +/- hit and avoid (and I think skill activation?) depending on if it is good or bad. It's mostly ignorable, but the times where your Worst coincides with an enemy's Best really suck because it is like a 20 hit/avoid swing.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Just play moderately quickly and the reinforcements won't even show up until you are pretty much fighting Tiki already. It's not that hard even on Maddening to do that.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Kanos posted:

If you're doing it very early on maddening, you will almost certainly bog down in the hallways and get pincered, especially when you have to double back to run over to Tiki, unless you leave a holding force back to intercept the reinforcements. Your very early game units will almost assuredly need multiple actions to down enemies there and won't be able to aggressively tank multiple hits, so you'll need to slow your roll a little and that'll give time for the reinforcements to catch up given the ice floors.

Also it's one of the very few opportunities you're going to get on maddening to farm some easy experience, so you might as well take advantage.

I did it after Chapter 7 on Maddening (because I wanted to bring Alcryst, plus you get an additional Master Seal) and I finished the map before the first group of reinforcements reached the end of the hallway. Just stand on ice tiles, split up your forces between the ones who are going top + taking on Tiki and a few who are going left, and use your engages. Edelgard's Falling Star combat art in particular is super good against the dragons.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

jimmydalad posted:

So I completed Tiki’s paralogue (thanks thread), and I’ve gotten Jean too much experience as he hit level 11. I want to promote him but I’m at chapter 9 and don’t get another master seal till level 10. Is it worth temporarily benching him to stop him getting levels and make the most of the promoted growths or is it ok for me to keep using him?

An extra level or two isn't going to make a major difference, keep using him if you want to.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Every weapon type except Arts, Axes and Staves has a good S-rank that shows up for free eventually. You don't get most of them until the last 4 or 5 maps, and some of them will probably be weaker than the Silver forges you might already be using (and expensive enough to forge that you might not bother) so a class having an S rank is nice but not make or break for its usefulness.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Chloe is definitely below the whitewings (in the games where they're good) but I'd still put her at least half a tier above Florina and Vanessa. Those two have legitimate offense issues. That can be overcome by skilled play, but Chloe just needs a forge to overcome any early strength issue, which is basically free in this game. This is basically the same reason why Marcia is so good; she has fairly normal pegasus knight bases (though unusually good growths), but the game systems (bexp and forging) allow you to just skip the part where it takes skill to use her and jump right to the part where she makes the game easy.

I think Florina and Vanessa have significantly better utility in Rescue than Chloe does, though. I can definitely buy the argument that that makes up for slightly worse combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

Any ideas for Lyn paralogue on Maddening? Sucks when a lot of your army is fliers. The upper left corner especially seems like pure death.

I used Warrior Panette with a longbow and Ike for the upper left and stuck all my fliers on the lower right (you will need at least one decent grounded combat unit to pull a few bow knights there).

I was able to kill all of the tent bosses except the two by Lyn before she started moving, but I don't think that is completely necessary. The important thing is that you don't have anyone in range the first turn she starts moving. Then the second turn position sufficient number of units that you can immediately kill her. Use Warp/Rescue to get people across the rivers if needed.

Waiting a couple of story maps can also help. Getting Byleth from Chapter 14 in particular is very helpful for killing Lyn before any reinforcements act.

WrightOfWay fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 4, 2023