Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
So uh, expansion pass question: how do you get the Three Houses Bracelet? I could have sworn the game said I could find it at Lookout Ridge after chapter 5, but I don't see it there. Does it actually unlock later or do you have to do something specific to trigger the event?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I will do everything in my power to keep Framme viable because she is a small kung fu child and that owns. I want her to spin kick infamous warlords off their dragons and on their rear end.

the others, ehhh, pass

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
he's not using it as a title, he's using it as a distinction; this is Emblem Marth, who is a separate character from Shadow Dragon Marth, who is alive and well or regular dead over in Achanea and not canonically trapped in a mcguffin where he has been staring vacantly at a sleeping child for a whole-rear end millenium

like it's a bit goofy because it's conveying information to the player rather than the characters, but it is the most reasonable way to phrase that

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Deltasquid posted:

So, the Marth in Super Smash Bros, is it the real Marth? Or Emblem Marth?

Or is it a second, separate emblem Marth, and they are blissfully unaware of each other’s existence?

smash marth is a figurine brought to life by the power of a child's imagination, the lore is quite clear on this

also he should eat the eggs

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
one thing that actually bothers me is Siggerd and Leaf.

like okay sometimes non-English pronunciation is hard but these are basic-rear end names containing only phonemes that also exist in English!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Harrow posted:

Has anyone figured this out? I'm having the same issue.

The Edelgard emblem only showed up for me after finishing Chapter 6, at which point I got a Somniel notification and just had to go to lookout ridge to get it. I dunno if there's some secret requirement to unlocking it, but I think the text just lies to you and you actually get it at the start of chapter 7.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I still can't get over how sincere Alear's "oh no I don't like these one bit" reaction to seeing the zombies was. I can't not appreciate that.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Endorph posted:

yeah thieves dont have special chest opening powers and keys dont exist, anyone can walk up to a chest and open it. its a weird choice but ig it streamlines things

It's really not that weird a choice, it's just a break from the series convention. You wouldn't normally lock a chest if it's already secured in a guarded vault, the locks were for transport or if the chest was to be placed somewhere without other security.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
wow chapter 11 is rude, the boss is scripted to be immune to damage, and you don't get any reward for killing the hounds what the heck

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yunaka is abso-totely wondiferous.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean Alear's dad is obviously the evil dragon. I'm not even going to spoiler that because I have no textual reason to believe it; I'm hoping it'll turn out to be something more mundane like dragon parthenogenesis or their dad being a plain ol' human but lmao fat chance it'll be anything other than the most anime option

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Also, people complaining about Tiki's paralogue being tedious af, but is it hard? I wanna turn my guys into dragons ASAP.

It's got one real rude enemy type whose attack ignores defense and sets your movement to 0 for a turn, but if you've got a way to handle those you should be set.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
avoid is hit evasion, dodge is crit evasion

you can only do one of each engraving; if you already have the marth engraving on one weapon and try to add it to another, the first one will be erased

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
They're surprisingly effective given how simple they are.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
also maybe it shows up somewhere and I missed it, but I'm chuffed that the dialogue takes pains to never ever refer to Alear by gender, but also has voiced lines for every single possible character/emblem combo

And I am only now realizing that maybe they're actually committed to referring to the choice as picking a form and that they're deliberately not imposing a gender on the player avatar. That's actually pretty cool!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Endorph...

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Okay I dunno which Emblem is the best for Alear, but the silliest is definitely Corrin.

One of its synch abilities is Dragon Vein, which lets you create terrain effects based on class. They only last a turn, but you can use it every turn. Except if equipped to a dragon, you can freely choose from any effect, so you can set a group of enemies on fire one turn, then put up a wall of ice to block their advance the next. Or, my favorite, surround Alear with fog, which grants 30 avoid to any unit in it. I've made a death squad of Alear, Framme and Yunaka who are just completely unhittable as long as the fog machine is lit. I'm never giving them another ring.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I love the jank-rear end game that exists, though.

oh here comes the entire Thrud royal guard, 30 barons all lined up nice and orderly

and opposing them is one 13-year old scion, soon to be the last of her line because oops the entire army just died and now she's killing the duke

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Endorph posted:

i made this joke already but fe4 is a gripping war drama told through the medium of a reused sprite summoning two dozen wyvern riders for no particular reason

I know, it rules.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
has anyone else been checking out the skirmish fights because jesus christ some of these maps are absolutely brutal and way harder than the storyline maps; I've gone into and bailed on several because I couldn't make it to turn three without someone dying.

Just rolled the one for chapter 11 and it is a fog of war map with your units spread across the entire middle section of the map from north to south lmfao i have to attempt it

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Gamerofthegame posted:

there is also training skirmishes, which give a blanket additional xp to everyone involved after it's done and explicitly don't kill anyone

wait what the gently caress

does the game ever tell you this?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean they're only like 8 lines of dialogue, but every single character/emblem combination has unique lines

that's 30-something characters, 14 emblems (counting the DLC ones), so like 3-4000 lines of dialogue

probably took at least a little time to write and also voice act

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
yeah but she keeps doing it after you get it back!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Infinity Gaia posted:

God, Chapter 17 was a tremendous clusterfuck and I'm only on Hard! I have no idea how the gently caress this map is doable on Maddening, it took me like 2 hours and nearly all of my Time Crystal charges. Every turn was an exercise in "how the gently caress do I get myself out of the mess I caused last turn?"

It's so great. By the equivalent point in 3H Hard I was sleepwalking through every stage.

Yeah that one was a doozy. I made the mistake of starting with the dude in the top right and then moving left through the flames to the center of the map, which apparently aggroes every boss and makes them move to your location. I had to somehow navigate having two bosses on my rear end every turn and taking them out before any more showed up while also keeping all my squishy units out of their attack range. The first time Zephia joined the fray she mowed right through my defensive formation with override and killed three units with one attack, and I only kept Veyle from flanking me dead by constantly throwing up ice walls.

I think it's the most tactical fight I've ever faced in a fire emblem game. It's good.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm not using any prepromotes, and it's not for any ideological reasons; I just like the early characters better even if they're objectively worse.

though I'll probably bring in Hortensia's retainers if I ever come across any maps with a higher unit limit, they're both hell of cute

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Smash can break armored units, if you ever need to disarm one. It's also good for bullying bow units, and the higher tier versions do pretty stupid damage to compensate for the drawback.

I haven't found much use for them but I'm sure it's there.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Alfred's supports with Alear and his retainers are kind of weak, but all of the other ones I've seen are just him being a beautiful himbo.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
they didn't even do that, all of Alear's endings canonically include a 1000 year old dragon

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Sigurd paralogue may be the best Fire Emblem map I have ever seen, whoever was the map designer for this game cannot possibly have been paid enough.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You've gotten to a point where you can unlock the skill Pair Up, from Corrin's paralogue, which makes a unit immune to chain attacks, which is real handy. Dunno about all that other stuff, because my tank, Yunaka, is doing just fine and would be worse off on a mount.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You don't have to do it all at once; the DLC has multiple chapters, and each chapter unlocks stuff in the main campaign. I think you only have to beat the first chapter to access the new side area in the monastary, which you wanna do early. The classes probably require the whole side story to be cleared, but the big money is the intermediate unlocks; recruitable characters. You wanna get them in your class before chapter 11 at the very latest.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Big discovery: if you sleep in your bed and get the rank A wake-up call, all of the character's previous morning events are unlocked in the reminiscence menu, and all of them are important. Things I've learned about Yunaka this way:

-Zappy morning!
-She can do a pitch perfect Vander impression and a pretty strong cock-a-doodle-doo
-She plays the piano
-She is a cat person
-She could extremely easily kill you in your sleep, which makes her worry for your safety

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Three Houses also had every character chime in on the plot once a month as you walked around the monastary. Some of it helped flesh them out, but more importantly it kept everyone visible.

Engage has a bit of that with the post-chapter walk abouts, but it's random who shows up and half of them don't even get their line because their line about Alear getting a level/them doing well in the battle/complaining that you're not using them takes precedence.

I never know what Yunaka thinks of the plot developments because she always has to tell me how zappy she was in the fight. :(

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
FE9 also had a lot of reactivity in the first act, where the non-main mercenaries got to chime in on things, and you'd get alternate scenes if they had died by then. The game can have a much grimmer tone if you ironman it. That kind of goes away once you get to the main plot, but there's at least base conversations to keep them around. This is also reflected in a few support conversations, like one where Makalov talks about his sister being mad at him getting replaced by him wanting to get flowers for her grave.

I get why that's not a priority, and most players never get to see it, but it does make a lot of the cast disappear if they're benched. Dunno what the fix is, but Engage could definitely do with having more story-related chimes in on Somniel and letting you actually get the exploration phase dialogue after they've given you their bond crystals for the day.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
A lot of the paralogues are very rude and it owns.

I think a big part of what makes the map design pop in this game is that it is clearly designed with the rewind button in mind, which lets the enemy pull outright nasty tricks mid-battle without forcing the player to reset.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
At some point my entire army became cute murder girls. Alfred was literally the only dude left when Timerra showed up and at that point I figured I might as well go all in and had him hit the bench. Sorry himbo prince, you're cute, but thematically inconsistent.

E: Also I have yet to recruit a lance fighter, but I can't be the only one to notice that Mauvier has a personal skill, unlike the other hounds.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Okay the chapter 22 twist was one I genuinely did not see coming. Good job, Engage, you managed to surprise me.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

FrickenMoron posted:

Do we know Tikis boost to stat growths yet? I can't keep her in good conscience on Alear because it's absolutely disgusting. At this point Its probably best to stick her on that "kind of bad unit you really like".

According to Serenesforest, it's +15% across the board.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Harrow posted:

Really the only earlier game units who feel fundamentally doomed to warm the bench are Boucheron and Lapis. Everyone else has a pretty strong chance to keep up if you keep using them. Boucheron just kinda gets outclassed early on, and Lapis has the unfortunate fate of being introduced precisely one chapter before a royal who does everything she does much better right off the bat. That's not to say Boucheron and Lapis are unusable, even on Maddening, just that using them is likely to be a conscious choice and not because they turned out so strong that they feel too valuable to replace.

Etie's around the same level, too, just because she has such a hard time getting Speed and Alcryst shows up with such good stats. Not sure if she's quite as doomed as Lapis but she does seem destined to be outclassed.

I found a good niche for Lapis by making her a griffon knight, but then I eventually realized that griffon knight just has insanely good base stats for some reason. Like well ahead of any other promoted class.

You could probably put anyone short of Vander on a lion bird if you really want to use them, and they'll do just fine.

E: Well, unless they really want to use bows or tomes; I got non-garbage speed on Etie but I had to bench her because 35/12/8 defenses at level 25 are just unforgivable.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, but Griffon Knight has significantly higher bases than even those, and is in particular better than swordmaster in every stat, except speed and defense, which is equal, and build, where swordmaster wins by a single point.

Like yeah swordmaster gets backup, but it's also significantly worse than hero for that and does not get a cool skill or good stats to compensate.