Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I don't believe that's so. Engaging Sigurd gives you more movement, and the game will let you move, engage, then use the added movement. You don't actually move any further than if you just engaged at the start of the turn and moved from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

cheetah7071 posted:

the broader reclassing is, the weirder gender restrictions are imo. It's significantly less weird to have all berserkers be men and all pegasus knights be women when there's two of each in the entire game, than it is when the entire cast can become anything other than The One Thing Their Gender Can't Do

Yeah, this is it. If you’re doing freeform reclassing, let anyone be anything. Otherwise, a character’s class options should say something about them and the culture they come from.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Endorph posted:

also the dub sounds surprisingly decent. i was a little worried with the lighter tone that the direction would be bad.

I expect it's Cup of Tea again; they've done every Fire Emblem game and spinoff since Awakening except Fates (and #TMS, obviously). Vander and Clanne sound like Patrick Seitz and Christian La Monte respectively, who directed Three Houses and Three Hopes, so I wouldn't be surprised if they took up the baton again.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

RevolverDivider posted:

I'm mostly fine with Dimitri's off screen death in theory in Deer and Snow because without anyone to reign him in he was always just going to mindlessly rampage around trying to murder people until he got himself killed. The execution is pretty clunky though.

Agreed. I like the idea that a person who’s a major player in one route might be little more than an afterthought in another. I think it might have been better if Dimitri had gotten a little more screentime independent of Edelgard before his ignominious end — maybe Claude tries to negotiate with him a chapter or two before Gronder but gives it up as pointless once he realizes how batshit he is — but him actually getting chucked out of the story without a big confrontation or famous last words feels like a natural conclusion for him in Verdant Wind.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Both Fates and Three Houses are extrapolations of Radiant Dawn’s concept of “nations in futile conflict; sympathetic people on both sides; everyone would be better off if they settled their differences and worked together against a common foe,” they just use route splits instead of a shifting perspective through a single route.

I’m frankly a little exhausted of this premise and am glad that Engage appears to be taking a break from it.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
There’s a world of difference between “fight then team up” versus “in another time, we might have been friends, but alas, fate has decreed that we must cross swords. Farewell, my worthy opponent, may you build the world I never could.”

Kanos posted:

A route split where everything is the exact same except instead of Good Marth telling you you're a cool person it's Evil Marth lighting up a cigarette and telling you to gently caress off.

In the evil route, Awkward Zombie Marth is canon.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Freeze and silence definitely make a return, because we know Sigurd and Micaiah teach abilities that grant immunity to them.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't have to tear anything down. legitimately had a big goofy smile on my face during all the melodrama. Every new layer piled on fit perfectly with the tone of the game, and every one had me going "dang that's cool"

:same:, honestly

I keep waiting for the scene that’s a bridge too far, but I’m nearly finished, and the story/characters has really grown on me.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
It made sense for Thief to be a special case like Dancer when it was mostly a map utility class, but given that they removed stealing and heavily downplayed lockpicking (I can’t even remember if they have extra fog of war vision), Thieves are basically normal combat classes here and should have gotten a promotion. It would be neat to have, say, a Dagger/Sword covert class, or something.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
It’s also worth noting that Obstruct staff obstacles will prevent your characters from being pushed by an avalanche, so Hortensia and Micaiah are handy for protecting characters who can’t get to cover in time. Corrin on a Dragon is essential, as they can both overwrite the fog, block off the choke points with fire to keep any one lane from being overwhelmed, and create more obstacles to minimize the effect of the avalanches.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Cythereal posted:

Ah. I haven't bought any of the DLC and am working on the Emblem paralogues now, so this is the first time I think I've seen this, unless that random thief with a gem in Micaiah's paralogue was meant to be someone.

That’s Sothe. Micaiah actually summons the entire Dawn Brigade when aggroed.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I could have seen staves work on a Three Houses-esque charge system rather than being fully disposable, but you definitely don’t want unlimited staff use in a single battle.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
My read is that the single-weapon promotions were intended as fallbacks so everyone could be assured of promoting into something, but you would be rewarded by getting creative, picking up a few proficiencies from an Emblem, and moving into something other than the default. That’s why Paladins, Swordmasters, Berserkers, Snipers, and Halberdiers are so boring.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I like Byleth on a Mystical unit. Thyrsus is just as ridiculous as it was in Three Houses, so you’re making the best of the engage turns when you’re not dancing (and it can allow you to keep up and continue contributing to the fight even if the units you danced move ahead and leave you behind). Sage or High Priest Anna is a good time with Byleth, as she can also make use of his huge Luck bonus.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
They’d have to redo the Ring Chamber to go beyond seven; that’s how many slots are currently in there.

Honestly, I think 17 is already too many. Being able to bench Celica, Leif, and Roy in the late game is fine, but beyond that you’re cutting into the actually cool base game Emblems.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Harrow posted:

I've started to see chapters 10 and 11 as sort of the end of a long tutorial. None of the chapters before 10 are all that long or complex, and you don't have access to many paralogues. It feels like you get a taste of later power, then lose it, and then the actual build-up of power and options begins in earnest.

It's not accidental that it's difficult to get enough SP to inherit many skills before chapter 10. They don't expect or want you to.

On top of this, the first six Emblems are a lot more basic than the rest of them. Micaiah can do lots of wacky staff stuff, sure, but Celica and Sigurd are mostly just “press button for an emergency reposition” and Marth, Leif, and Roy are mostly just “do more damage.” The later set of Emblems allow for much more advanced strategies and really ask you to think about the overall role of the unit using them.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
You can still Dance, though!

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Looks like Wave 3 (Chrom and Veronica) is next Tuesday.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
The Hounds needed a couple of minions who could serve as boss fights during the middle act. The Hounds should have been saved for big set pieces — 11, 17, 21, and maybe 22. Every other chapter where they show up wouldn’t lose anything if the bosses had been some one-of chump.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
There were loads of ways “returning to Nohr” could have been framed as as interesting story hook, but Conquest studiously avoids every last one of them. Its original sin is that it cannot bear the idea of the Avatar being morally compromised or ambiguous, and so twists itself into knots to absolve them of anything that could potentially do so (except Kitsune genocide for some reason).

The initial advertising for Fates sold it as more of a Tactics Ogre type of game, and honestly it should have done that if they were committing to multiple routes and factions.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Fine, Nintendo, I’ll play through your dumb game for the third time in as many months. At least you gave me enough time to finish Octopath 2 in the meantime.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
It also looks like the only new generic classes are the already-teased Enchanter and Mage Cannoneer, which is kind of lame. I was hoping for, like, one of each unit type that opened up some new weapon/Emblem combinations.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Woof, this new bridge map sucks all kinds of rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

RuBisCO posted:

I wish doing the DLC wasn't such a slog because it would be a gigantic pain to do this every run just to use the new characters. Also doing it early game seems basically impossible.

I am kind of curious when the best time to do it in a fresh run would be. It seems like doing it as soon as it unlocks would be incredibly sketchy, because even with fixed levels and inventories, you still want a decent collection of Emblems and skills. But if you do it too late you don’t have time to play with the new stuff. Maybe right after the Solm arc? That gives you six strong Emblems plus whatever DLC Emblems you’ve picked up, you have most of the characters available, and you still have enough game left between the remainder of the main story + paralogues to mess around with the added characters and classes.