Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
im going to engage some emblems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
chapter 5 of awakening is where the game really starts expecting you to understand that you put a pair of units on a fort and watch them blender an entire army of wyverns while everyone else hovers around scooping up the ground units, and that this is what the rest of the game will be like

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Endorph posted:

id just have the player character have a changeable real name and then an alias they use that is also a name, or smth. like say the protagonist is a divine warrior whose lineage all take up the name, idk, Jeff, when going into combat. and then you can have everyone just go 'hi jeff' in cutscenes and then in paired endings you can have the va go 'your true name? you will truly tell me... i am so grateful, lord...' and then cut away before they have to say your real name. thatd work i think. peace.

but its also a tl issue partially because referring to someone just by a title is way more commonplace and comes across less awkward in jp.

it's a shame they didn't do this in awakening

because then everyone would have called you commander shepherd :v:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Junpei posted:

no ai art is scary in that it puts creatives out of jobs

actually if it gets to that point they might as well just jump straight to "Well, we could hire Patrick Seitz for this character and have to deal with unions and fees... or we could just use PatrickSeitzAlike.exe and save money." which is even worse.

think of all the free time patrick seitz will have to make his own ai art though

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Overbite posted:

They could give the protag a last name like Shepard and have everyone call them that.

i already made this joke!!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

i think that if this game's plot is like awakening's, that that is a good thing,

namaste

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

broadly speaking, growths seem a bit higher than three houses' (discounting the students getting minimum 2-stat level ups) but not as high as awakening/fates?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

i like the opening movie accidentally making alear transmasc, in fine fire emblem tradition

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Hellioning posted:

Also one day Fire Emblem will stop starting games with a flash-forward. Awakening had a reason to do it, guys! I dunno if this game has a reason to but Fates and Echoes certainly didn't.

i was under the impression that it looks like a flash-forward but there's actually some wacky exact-reincarnation-1000-years-later thing going on and the people who fought alongside you back then look disconcertingly similar to the people you recruit, but aren't

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

oh my god, an actual fixed growths mode that isn't dependent on the phases of the moon or whatever? awesome

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

vander's definitely in the marcus class of jeigan, aka 'you should use this character and only really avoid feeding them a bunch of kills, rather than not use them at all / solo the game with them'

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Endorph posted:

we are going to violent attack the emblem known as marth until he dies, which is the crime known as murder

with this emblem i protect the lesbians

the trans lesbians, to be clear

e: alternatively, "dimitri kills women. murders women, to be clear"

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

as far as anime comparisons go this is just misfit of demon academy: it's so sincere that it loops back around into serving as parody without coming off as mean-spirited or cruel to what inspired it, and also everyone is right to love the main character, because they are cool,

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

"time for a good old-fashioned village pillage!"

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

firene operates on the honor system for its treasure

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Workout teacups.

That is all.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I like that alcryst has a hairclip shaped like a razor blade

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Oh my god rosado is the cutest person in the history of video games...

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

they're the health bars from 3h but without the boss suddenly gaining increasingly bullshit mechanics each time (or the annoying shield-break mechanic)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

theshim posted:

fun fact about Normal, because I'm the only person stupid enough to play it: it has a hidden 20 point hit/avoid penalty for enemies

huh. i thought that was just the weapon triangle being focused on the break mechanic rather than the usual hit/avoid via weapon rank system we've had since shadow dragon.

i'm starting to feel like i will have a not good time when i try this on hard

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

i like the metanarrative with the choice of emblems. the ones you get to begin with are all from the Old Games, plus micaiah, and then the pivotal turning point everyone has put in spoiler tags gives you lyn (the first game released outside japan) and lucina (because awakening unironically saved the series and this game knows it)

i do think marth gets way too much drat screen time though

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

slightly more extensive spoilers for 10/11 the implication is that veyle is using the time crystal to take back who she gave the ring to at the start of the battle, which is why you keep fighting new generics with the rings. it's a plot beat that doesn't quite work without the time crystal

Syrnn posted:

Does anyone have any channels or LP recommendations for videos to watch that'll help set a good example or otherwise be informative for FE strats? I can't keep making GBS threads up this thread every time a chapter stops me in my tracks and I am clearly missing something fundamental about the experience here.

zoran

watch zoran

his engage videos are just livestreams but the conquest playthrough and the various demonstration/guides he did before it are the best informative fire emblem content out there

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

yeah but she keeps doing it after you get it back!

given that she literally dropped one for you to pick up as part of an elaborate ruse, do you really think she doesn't have her own?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

there are a lot of non-critical conversations that take place in front of a generic background, but all the character animations are much nicer and the backgrounds are prettier too.

the combat animations are a huge slam dunk improvement and there are a decent amount of quality cutscenes in between the more standard presentation.

my only real criticism is that the 10/11 Important Sequence has a few shots that are really bizarre in terms of cutting around a very important character, even though said character shows up in both the in-game conversation later and was already revealed in a cutscene. this goes beyond the usual 'two characters interact with an entity that doesn't have a model' issue that every fire emblem game has and into 'why is there a black screen followed by the characters reacting here'

i've started watching anime again so i'm hyper alert to production shortcuts, but this one feels more like an error than a time save given that the work was already done and it just. wasn't implemented.

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 23, 2023

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Endorph posted:

feels like there might have been some late-stage rewrites around that sequence or something, its cool but theres a few janky bits in execution

this might be the case but the only significant change i can think of is whether or not sombron turns into a dragon then and there, but they did a full cutscene of him turning into a dragon with a clever dialogue callback, along with alear's whole 'wait i can turn into a dragon?' thing with morion. so it seems weird that they wouldn't just put the admittedly slightly ugly fell dragon model in the in-game cutscene immediately after, rather than cutting around it as if to hide something that isn't hidden AND THEN having the slightly ugly fell dragon model show up anyway.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

speaking of clipping issues, i noticed a surprisingly basic one: the idle animation after Lodestar Rush when using Liberation has the sword clip super obviously into alear-marth's shoulder. i imagine it doesn't clip if you're using the engage weapons, but i'm a little surprised that it does clip with, of all things, the main character's signature weapon.

hardly a game ruiner but a weird thing to miss given that the game is broadly quite good at avoiding or at least strongly mitigating clipping issues otherwise.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

yeah some of the bosses in this game use similar mechanics to conquest, where they're linked to a specific unit or unit(s) either being engaged in combat or being in range of some number of units they're linked to. they're generally intuitive enough that it hasn't felt like a 'gotcha' yet to me

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

sure, but it's training you to look at someone with an emblem and go 'ah gently caress this person is gonna push my poo poo in, time to read all their effects'

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

lapis is also mostly worse than diamant, who you get in the next chapter after her. it's really weird because her personal skill is loving bonkers (three noteworthy beneficial effects for positioning correctly anyway) but her bases, starting gear and class seem calculatedly designed to make her bad (and she didn't need the help, considering that she's a sword-locked foot unit).

then you get jade who's mostly slightly worse than louis but not by enough to make her bad or anything, just not great if you wanted to use louis anyway

and then you get 2 level 17 units while the rest of your squad is level 13 as well as kagetsu. getting diet camilla, ryoma AND jaffar all at once at this point is kind of ridiculous

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 23, 2023

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

also experience growth feels low in this game overall, but maybe the curve's just balanced around promoting everyone at 10 since internal levels are weird and second seals are back to working like awakening??

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

no robin engage :smith:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Sigurd’s Momentum is cracked lmao. I wonder what kind of cheese you can pull off with Brave weapons.

it only applies to the 'first attack', and that applies to brave weapons as well as doubling

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

i moused over the personal skill of the boss of chapter 11 and laughed

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

They thought they would give the player a cute girl that murders everything, op

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

anna's magic is low because the fighter class has a miserable magic base that torpedoes it. if you look at the 'change class' feature in the inventory you'll see that changing her to a mage with a second seal will basically solve all her problems immediately (her lack of damage output, her low survivability, and also her atrocious speed due to low build + axes' high weight)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

You get a sword fighter you can promote into a sword-axe user in chapter 8, and he's probably most people's best bet for a good axe unit.

they already have jade so you don't need to talk around diamant in this way

e: you caught your own error so this post looks silly now

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Sally Sprodgkin posted:

So I'm on chapter 13 and my Anna, Chloe and Lapis have all rolled 7 Def, my Etie has rolled 5 Def and my Citrinne has rolled 3 Def - they are basically all getting one shot by most enemies now. They are around the level 12-13 mark (so according to the mission guidance, like 2 levels underleveled) and I've been trying to cycle the weaker units into battle however they're basically getting no exp any more because I need to set up turns for them to even start getting exp. I kinda hate benching characters, but is there any way to salvage them?

they give you better etie and (two) better lapises, one of which is also a better anna (diamant). chloe isn't replaceable in the same way but a pegasus knight having 7 def isn't a death sentence because you have so much more tactical flexibility with their positioning.

also just as a reminder - one that a lot of people are going to need - promote at level 10 in this game. the way experience is tracked doesn't penalize you for promoting, so it's always correct to promote as soon as possible unless you are so hard up on money that the extra seals you'll need twenty chapters from now are an issue.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

messing around in the skirmish music menu and i see that the enemy phase theme from chapter 2 where you fight lumera is called 'The Goddess and her Puppets'. that is definitely a turn of phrase, game.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Concurred posted:

'Alcryst' is 'Crystal' backwards

this is unironically true in japanese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

chapter 10 is so drat good. absolute culmination of everything that this game does right all in one place. i can't wait for the next climax to top it