Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
there's mage knight as far as proper mages that use tomes, and royal knight and griffin knight have access to staves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
To be fair to the voice direction, it's 100% in character for Vander, Clanne, and Framme to constantly fawn over you with a cloyingly flattering title, given that their whole thing is that they're part of an order created specifically to be your caretakers/bodyguards/personal fan club.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
vander isn't even that bad about it

but the twins

good lord

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Fire Emblem Engage: Thank you, Divine One!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the twins almost feel like parody tbh, its probably meant to be a little comedically grating. but i get not extending that kind of good faith for player worship stuff after Fire Emblem: Fates for the nintendo 3ds

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Endorph posted:

id just have the player character have a changeable real name and then an alias they use that is also a name, or smth. like say the protagonist is a divine warrior whose lineage all take up the name, idk, Jeff, when going into combat. and then you can have everyone just go 'hi jeff' in cutscenes and then in paired endings you can have the va go 'your true name? you will truly tell me... i am so grateful, lord...' and then cut away before they have to say your real name. thatd work i think. peace.

but its also a tl issue partially because referring to someone just by a title is way more commonplace and comes across less awkward in jp.

it's a shame they didn't do this in awakening

because then everyone would have called you commander shepherd :v:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I'm loving the game, Divine One is the only thing driving me nuts.

You all will notice it now. Everyone calls you it not just the beginner crew lol, I'm not going to spoil anything. I just wish I could FedEx arrow it out of my mind. Professor is way easier to ignore. Anyway back to the good game, Divine One.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Tbh I quite like professor, it's snappy.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
A friend says that Ian Sinclair and Cristina Vee are in the voice cast, who are they and are there any other big names I'd know of?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i wont notice the divine one thing because ill play in superior japanese. peace.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm more interested in finding out how many chapters it takes before someone besides Marth gets a line.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

None. Marth is controlling everyone the whole time

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The answer to the customizeable name + voice acting combo is to make your name from a set amount of names/words/phrases and they awkwardly insert the single line read of those into their actual voiced lines

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mabels big day posted:

The answer to the customizeable name + voice acting combo is to make your name from a set amount of names/words/phrases and they awkwardly insert the single line read of those into their actual voiced lines
it rules when jp games do this but it doesnt work as well with english names

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
scared of the day that voice actor AIs take over and they pop a little one in every game that can imitate the voice actor of a specific character, read your character name and make it sound natural in the same way that AI art is scary right now

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

scared of the day that voice actor AIs take over and they pop a little one in every game that can imitate the voice actor of a specific character, read your character name and make it sound natural in the same way that AI art is scary right now
ai art is scary in that it sucks rear end

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

So if I put in the name 'Bob' it will randomly say stuff like 'Rob' or 'Blob' or 'Tob'?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Junpei posted:

A friend says that Ian Sinclair and Cristina Vee are in the voice cast, who are they and are there any other big names I'd know of?

The full cast is already listed somewhere, but if you don't know who cristina vee is, then you'd know literally no one from the dub

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tae posted:

The full cast is already listed somewhere, but if you don't know who cristina vee is, then you'd know literally no one from the dub

Swing and a miss

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Endorph posted:

ai art is scary in that it sucks rear end

no ai art is scary in that it puts creatives out of jobs

actually if it gets to that point they might as well just jump straight to "Well, we could hire Patrick Seitz for this character and have to deal with unions and fees... or we could just use PatrickSeitzAlike.exe and save money." which is even worse.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Tae posted:

no I meant who do they voice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

actually if it gets to that point they might as well just jump straight to "Well, we could hire Patrick Seitz for this character and have to deal with unions and fees... or we could just use PatrickSeitzAlike.exe and save money." which is even worse.
it wont get to that point and neither will ai art

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
God, I hope so.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ai art validar raising his seventeen fingered club hands and going 'fools, the future is already written!' and then basilio punching him and going 'eat my black rear end, which the ai cannot properly draw'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you know for all of awakening's faults i will say, it is extremely good that basilio got to tell the main antagonist to kiss his rear end

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
in the hit game fire emblem engage if you go into settings there is an innocuous little setting for unit control style, with direct and cursor. direct has them actually walk around and there's input delay based on them getting there, so there's a weird habit of them ending up in the wrong square. cursor has you draw an arrow from their start location like every game in the series and i recommend you flicking it to that

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

so how many character slots do you get for (final) batlle

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

so how many character slots do you get for (final) batlle
one guy said the highest hed seen was 14 at chapter 20 or so. dunno about the final battle specifcially but seems like it isnt a case where the game caps out at 12 because of the 12 rings or w/e

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Junpei posted:

think of all the free time patrick seitz will have to make his own ai art though

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I curse you all, you who have early access to the game

soon I too will get to play the fire emblems

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm looking forward to the AI voice acting future so a robot can translate a person not having enough fingers on their hands while being made of fingers into text.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

An FE game in which the art is made by AI, the maps are made by AI, the text is made by AI, the voices are made by AI... ahh, the future!!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Endorph posted:

id just have the player character have a changeable real name and then an alias they use that is also a name, or smth. like say the protagonist is a divine warrior whose lineage all take up the name, idk, Jeff, when going into combat. and then you can have everyone just go 'hi jeff' in cutscenes and then in paired endings you can have the va go 'your true name? you will truly tell me... i am so grateful, lord...' and then cut away before they have to say your real name. thatd work i think. peace.

The “Joker” Method.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

An FE game in which the art is made by AI, the maps are made by AI, the text is made by AI, the voices are made by AI... ahh, the future!!
there is an ai fe map program but it mostly just creates nonsense

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Also, having a namable protag literally doesn't make sense when your money maker, FEH, canon names the character anyway.

It is a baffling choice that makes absolute no sense, because it's also like *way* easier to just have Alear as the canon name because...well, one it is. And two, no seriously why are we still naming the protag.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also everyone's fanfics call byleth byleth and there are 500000000 of them on ao3 so thats their main demo i think

but awakening did it so.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
"If you don't have voice acting, letting us rename is fine, but if you do have voice acting, have a canon name" seems like a pretty fine rule of thumb to me.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

We've been having these issues since at least FFX over 22 years ago, you'd think people would have figured this out by now.

Hell, you want people to be able to rename Byleth? Jeralt has a last name, just make everyone call them Professor Eisner instead of just 'Professor'. Give Alear a 'divine' name that everyone calls them by in voiced dialogue because that is what you are supposed to do with gods or whatever.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i can't believe there isn't an ivy/rosado support

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Endorph posted:

i wont notice the divine one thing because ill play in superior japanese. peace.

Has there been a single FE game that hasn’t had dubtitles though? You might not hear it with your ears, but when the words “Divine One” scroll across the text box for the one hundredth time in as many seconds, you will hear it with your soul.