Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

RELEASE DATE: JANUARY 20 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ExaJIB5Phk

That's right my fellow technicolored Fire Emblem fans, it's time for the next mainline Fire Emblem game! Fire Emblem Engage! It's been three and a half years since Three Houses, and this train just keeps chugging on! This time, we're leaving our school days behind and doing a superhero tokusatsu! Raise your ring high and shout EMBLEM ENGAGE!, and you too will be able to fight evil together with your friends, Marth and Roy!

STORY

quote:

Once every 1,000 years, legendary heroes called Emblems grant incredible power to the one who holds the 12 Emblem Rings. As the ritual nears, Alear – the Divine Dragon of prophecy – awakens to collect the rings and bring peace to the land.

However, Sombron – the Fell Dragon and ancient nemesis of the Divine Dragon – has also risen and seeks the rings for his own evil gain. Only Alear and those loyal to the Divine Dragon stand between Sombron and total destruction…

In Fire Emblem Engage you play as Alear (or another name of your choosing), one of the Divine Dragons and savior of the world a thousand years past. Alear, unlike Byleth, talks back in conversations and is not Persona-style mute. You awaken once more to do battle with evil, but you've forgotten everything that happened back then. Gather the 12 Emblem Rings and banish the darkness once more!

These special rings house great heroes, Emblems, of eld and legends, by which I mean some of the previous mainline Fire Emblem game protagonists.

GAMEPLAY

We've graduated from Three Houses, and are back in more standard Fire Emblem territory. Weapon-locked classes! The weapon triangle! If you've played a previous Fire Emblem game (no one's gonna narc to Nintendo if you emulate FE7 or 8 ;)) you should feel right at home! There's three new major mechanics to go over.

First is the Break mechanic, as seen above. If you land an attack against an enemy (that does more than 0 damage) wielding a weapon that trumps its type (swords -> axes -> lances -> swords), you Break the enemy, forcing them to drop their weapon for the next round of combat. They won't be able to counterattack, so that's the time to send in a frailer unit to snag some experience! You can also inflict Break by Smashing enemies into walls!

https://i.imgur.com/DqpBvKG.mp4

However, there's an exception: you cannot break Armor Knights or Generals. This is because they have the "Armor" type. And that brings us to the next new mechanic in Engage!

Goldmary here is a Hero, with the type of Backup. Any class that belongs to the "Backup" group is able to get a small hit in on an enemy when a friendly attacks that enemy, as long as the Backup unit itself is able to attack!
Other types inclue Qi Adept, which are able to block enemy attacks on adjacent allies once per turn, at the cost of 20% of their own health, and Covert, which doubles all positive terrain bonuses. Having a healthy balance of types may be a good thing to have! These types also determine if they gain any special effects with their Engaged Emblems. Speaking of which!

Which brings us to the biggest major new mechanic, the EMBLEM ENGAGE!! that gives this game its name. As you collect the Emblem Rings, you're able to equip them, letting your units house the spirits of these heroes, increasing their stats and giving them unique skills and abilities. As you can see, Marth's Divine Speed and Lodestar Rush skills have a Type Bonus with Alear's Dragon type, which means Alear gets extra effects from those skills.

Then, once in combat, you're able to Engage with them, transforming your body and giving you access to new, super-powerful skills and their own personal weapons that when properly used can turn the tide of battle in one single action. Engaging lasts three turns, and if you want to do it again after that you've got to kill enemies to charge up your meter.

By Engaging with and bonding with these Emblems, you'll not only make them stronger, but give you the ability to "buy" their skills and slot them onto your units, even when they don't have that ring equipped. Additionally, they teach your units how to be proficient in some of their own weapons of choice, allowing your own units to reclass once they're proficient enough in another class's weapon type!

That's about it! There's plenty other mechanics and stuff going on under the hood, but that's to be discovered in game (or talked about, in this thread).

FAQ

Do I need to have played any previous FE game before this one?
Nope! Although protagonists from previous games appear through the rings, they have very limited story and character interactions and are mostly flavor. No previous game's story has any relevance to Engage's.

Is there any base like in Three Houses in this game? It got kinda annoying near the end and for repeat playthroughs...
There is a base, Somniel, in which you can buy items and forge weapons and all that, and it also houses minigames and other fun activities. However, it is not nearly as necessary for character progression as the Monastery was in Three Houses. Think of it as a slightly expanded version of your base in Fire Emblem Fates instead, with opportunities to gain extra materials and temporary stat bonuses. There's also no calendar system, and you walk around on the world map, like in Fire Emblem Awakening.

How do weapons work?
Weapons, like in Fates and Shadows of Valentia, have infinite durability. Some have special effects, like the Thunder tome having 1-3 range but being unable to attack twice, or the Heavy weapons, which makes you always attack last, but push the enemy back a square after combat. Knives return as a weapon type and are able to inflict Poison, a stackable defense debuff (the mechanics of which are yet unknown, will update). Fisticuffs also return as a weapon type, but this time they're more martial arts than brawling. From theorycrafting, it seems their damage formula is (Str+Mag)/2, against the enemy's Def.

Is there romance/marriage/child units in this game?
We have not seen any S-ranks for support conversations, including Alear, though that does not mean there can't be paired romantic endings. We have seen no sign of a second generation.

Can you rewind turns? Is there a restriction?
Yes, you can. The exact specifications are unknown, but it seems you can rewind up to 10 times on Hard/Classic.

Terper fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I loving love Sommie so much he's such a lil' guy

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I think Alear's cute as a button, looking forward to killing people with her

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Praying for a NG+ option for it

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm getting engaged.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/MikaPikaZo/status/1612098924348854272

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Wh-what the gently caress...

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

That does mean that if you use your full movement before taking your action, you get two spaces of free movement.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Einander posted:

I had to do a double-take at Citrinne's personal skill, that one's actually amazing. If she can AOE heal then you don't need to dedicate anyone to staff duty (though one person can take Micaiah's ring in case you need some extra spot healing or need to split the team), and this game has Sigurd's Canter so that healing won't even take Citrinne too far out of position. Plus, the standard "almost everyone comes with a vulnerary" FE joining inventory means you shouldn't even need to dig too far into your wallet to keep her stocked, and if weapons don't break then she can spare the inventory space.

Just a shame that she's a mage and so her enemy phasing is going to be pretty limited. Might have to baby her a bit with kills.
The one person who could take Micaiah's ring is Citrinne herself, since Sacrifice will put her HP down to 1 and then she can just chug vulneraries and elixirs all the live long day! :v:

Lord Koth posted:

Briefly looking over the others, Lapis' personal seems extremely dubious. +10 Hit/Avo, -10 Crit if there's an ally next to her is generally just not good for a swordfighter - the Avo is nice, but Hit's generally pointless and a penalty to crit is brutal.
When I saw Lapis's my first immediate reaction was "drat, that's good". I would make that trade in 90% of regular combat situations. Critting can be devastatingly bad, as can missing.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If you Break an enemy, it's a free +15 hit! Presumably.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Put Alfred up front baiting the enemy (sword/lance user), Alear behind him, and Alcryst behind her, that's +8 damage baybee

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Guy who has only played Genshin Impact, playing his second game: Hmm... getting a lot of 'Genshin Impact' vibes from this.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm betting it'll be the secret, 13th ring.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

2nd guess: the 12 rings are needed for a ritual that grants power, that power is the Fire Emblem

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There is always merit in position management, but it does seem limited in its applicability.

There's got to be at least one map where the LTC requires positioning yourself so that you're Smashed in the right direction

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Well uh the latest big Nintendo Direct was the one in which this game was announced. There's been one-two trailers since then but yeah if you haven't been following along you wouldn't really have seen much. The game itself has has way more preorders than Three Houses did so it's doing something right somewhere in the world!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/mikapikazo/status/1612463805346512898

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

depends if it triggers if diamant is gonna break the enemy. the battle previews show the enemy being unable to counterattack if you're gonna break, but on the other hand if diamant misses the enemy would counter.

Going back to this 'cause I went back to look at his combat video

The skill triggers here at the battle start and the enemy's hit chance is really high, so yeah it activates before combat no matter what as long as the enemy was at some point able to counter.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/MikaPikaZo/status/1612825131503751170

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/MikaPikaZo/status/1613186219076374532

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

Honestly Girl Alear's long hair is kinda driving me insane. Tie it up!! Maybe because I have longish hair as well but my hand itches just looking at her

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Worth noting that eventually no one will be riding pegasi since that's just a base class and wyvern/griffon are the only two advanced flier options.

Except for Hortensia maybe since she has a unique class but idk if that's still a pegasus

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I better save my Engages, in case I need them later in the map : )

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I appreciate them trying out new mechanics to tie in with their stories, like Awakening being all about bonds and friendship and all that jazz so it got Pair-Up, and Three Houses was about the bigness of war and the lives of the people participating so it got Battalions, and now Engage is "what if you had superpowers"

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Zoran posted:

If you don’t engage right away you’re wasting all those potential engage meter refills

But if I never engage I won't need those refills anyway!

(i was being facetious lol)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

My Switch is Engaging

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Is loving Jesus legal yet?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

still looking forward to fire emblem: path to dawn, the fe9+10 collection remaster

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Blue Labrador posted:

I hope Engage has a banger preparations theme. 3H As Swift As Wind is probably my favorite song in the series. Those drums man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDh7e7tvdGE

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's hosed up but true when you say the next Fire Emblem game is out in 1 week

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/mikapikazo/status/1614275867525488643

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Speaking of Kronya, she showed up in Heroes as a boss fight before 3H released, wonder if they'll do something similar for Engage

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

funfact, there's little details like fences and bushes and stuff that sometimes get destroyed in combat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcm1nJrBqD0

Gonna sue Marth for property damage

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah Silver Snow was the first story from which the rest of the game sprouted. "What if you had a lord who you then had to fight."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I want an elaboration of the Kellam recruitment joke in Awakening. He joins you on the snow fort map, but he was traveling with you as early as the previous map. Do the same thing, but have this new character actually be playable on the previous map, with no acknowledgment of their existence in previous cutscenes.