Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Pureauthor posted:

Smh they don't let you marry the rings.

we don't know that!!!

i hope you have to choose between marrying marth and evil marth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

A lot of the games look feels like it was rushed out quickly but it pretty clearly wasn’t so I don’t know what’s up with that

idk what this means because this is the most visually polished fire emblem has ever been by far

the series has generally gone for a more muted style with its character designs though, so this game's bright & bold designs are quite a shift from the norm. some of them are pretty goofy but they're at least endearingly ridiculous. i definitely prefer three houses' character designs but engage looks so much better overall so that's a tradeoff i'm quite happy with

lih
May 15, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

That reminds me, is Tecmo-Koei co-developing this game this time? I mean, I think 3 Houses visually has its charms, but there is only so much you could do with that crummy engine they use.

they're not. the initial leaks that were otherwise accurate claimed that gust were co-developing it this time but there's been no mention of that since so they likely only had a minor role at most if there's any truth to it.

lih
May 15, 2013

as far as 'anime games' go both genshin and engage are some of the best around in terms of being visually appealing, despite certainly not being technical marvels or anything.

there's a similarity in the visual style - a particular cel-shaded look for the characters over stylised landscapes - so i get why it's come up as a comparison point but it's not like it's blatantly ripping it off or anything. the character designs aren't really anything alike though yeah

lih fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 9, 2023

lih
May 15, 2013

sommie is officially a "mysterious creature" and seemingly immortal

lih
May 15, 2013

Eimi posted:

I really love Genshin Impact. I also loathe the look and style of Engage. I'm with Endorph in really questioning how people say they are similar. If Engage was like Genshin It would eliminate at least half the reasons I hate it. Genshin's style is comparatively subdued while I'm sure even the fans of Pikazo's style would say she's using the artistic equivalent of all caps when it comes to color.

Also muted colors are awesome and while I hate how 3H looks, I blame issues more like anti-aliasing and just the engine being rear end instead of the art style.

i think engage looks like genshin impact a fair bit but in terms of overall visuals (mostly just the way the character models are rendered and the stylised environment - though as previously noted engage is more saturated overall), not the character designs which are indeed very different.

three houses had big technical problems but the environments would have still been pretty ugly even if it had antialiasing and ran well. it really could have used more stylised environments to gel better with the character models (which were fine) instead of the ugly ps3-game realism it went for.

Zoran posted:

Emblem spoilers: it appears the 13th emblem is Alear.

does anything actually suggest that the thirteenth emblem is alear or is that just speculation for now?

lih
May 15, 2013

the character designs in this aren't anywhere near as stupid as xb2

lih
May 15, 2013

who exactly is the game supposedly pandering to that you're complaining about anyway? people who like busier character designs? people who like saturated colours? people who hated the monastery in 3h?

lih
May 15, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I'm a fairweather Fire Emblem fan that couldn't tell you what any game is without the subtitle so iust be missing something. So, what're the other games with the supremely bad stories that'll get you beaten up or ridiculed by passerbys that people seem paranoid about?

I mean, I just wasn't paying attention to any of the conversations when Three Houses was new and hot on the scene so I missed many of the arguments on the internet, and someone eventually revealing military information on Fire Emblem forums to win the arguments and going to jail as a result.

the one with the plot that people really really hate is just fates but there's no real sign that engage is going to be anything like that. three houses had a lot more depth and complexity to its plot than usual for fe (despite some of its issues) so people are just understandably disappointed that engage isn't continuing on from that.

lih
May 15, 2013

three houses just had a lot of compelling threads through it even if the actual execution of the plot was fairly middling (occasionally good, often bad). it seemed to just crumble under the ambition of having four routes and put resources into all the wrong places regarding the plot.

Natural 20 posted:

I think a lot of people would have enjoyed a game of that same ambition but done even better rather than dialling things back because that scope is too hard.
i like the world-building and the depth of the characters, but dialing back the ambition would likely be necessary to execute it reasonably - four routes was a straight up mistake and it's very clear they ended up having to significantly cut corners due to that. cut down white clouds a bit (since not much too important happens there) and only have two routes (an expanded crimson flower, and something between azure moon/silver snow) and you could have had something with reduced ambition but significantly more focused and better executed.

lih
May 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

crimson flower was a last minute addition which really shows how much of a scramble three houses was because can you imagine that game *without* crimson flower lmao
yeah we're lucky that 3h ended up as good as it did really (even given its major flaws). their original idea seemed to just be "it would be a cool twist if one of the main lords was the villain" which sure, that's a decent starting point but idk why they decided to awkwardly combine that with the multiple routes gimmick without even originally intending to do the natural thing and show the conflict from multiple sides.

Deltasquid posted:

Call me crazy but I think Silver Snow works better than Verdant Wind. Not a lot of the plot beats make sense from the perspective of the golden deer, and a lot of it makes sense for the Church with Byleth in the driver seat (kinda... Having to lean on Seteth)
that's fairly understandable because they wrote silver snow first

lih
May 15, 2013

i think they should have done a split route this time just so evil marth could get some 10 second supports too

lih
May 15, 2013

mycatscrimes posted:

You can gauge how wrong someone's opinions are based entirely on if they think 3Hopes made Claude "worse".

there are people who think that?

lih
May 15, 2013

Eimi posted:

Going through those new leaks are surprising in a good way. In a way feels like how I felt about Pokemon SV, where the marketing was horrible and tipped me to not buying it, but then leaks came out and showed there is stuff I'd be into in the game afterall.

what exactly was it that changed your mind out of curiosity? given everything else i'm not very surprised that the map design seems pretty good & interesting and that's about the main detail that's coming through from these leaks

lih
May 15, 2013

Eimi posted:

Some story details and how they play into gameplay. You lose Divine Pulse and your engages in ch10. That's a ballsy decision if nothing else. As well some story details, but they pushed on and revealed they are going the boring route with them, Veyle is evil but shocker she's being controlled.

ah yeah losing the time crystal is an impressive move. from what the leaker said veyle has a split personality or something? which is still boring but it's probably going to parallel alear

lih
May 15, 2013

idk most of those designs are more modern than the usual medieval fantasy fare

while technology hasn't progressed on elyos in the last 1000 years at least fashion has

lih
May 15, 2013

lol that merrin's casual outfit still has the weird wolf knight tail

lih
May 15, 2013

alear is from 1000 years ago and is an idiot who doesn't understand modern clothes or hair colours

lih
May 15, 2013

we're getting 13, isn't that enough (alear + all the emblems)

lih
May 15, 2013

i mean i get changing it to make anna/jean/hortensia explicitly just friends since they're the youngest characters but ??? at rosado and removing 'your partner' for all of them

at least they butchered the straight content too this time (because there's no difference)?

lih fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 16, 2023

lih
May 15, 2013

at least this seems to be a little less inexplicable and stupid overall than when they did to most of the paired gay endings in three houses lol

lih
May 15, 2013

Sydin posted:

I mean they could have just as easily lied in the translation and said everybody was 18+ like a sheepishly translated VN or something. It's not like this is a sexually explicit game or anything, some G-rated but explicitly romantic language seems like the easiest possible bone to throw to a fanbase even an absolutely dense entity like NoA has to be aware is pretty into the shipping aspect of the games.

jean/anna/hortensia are like 10/11/14 so it makes sense there. it's just rosado where it's inexplicable because he's 17 and a whole lot of the cast is 17 including alear

lih
May 15, 2013

it's pretty goofy here and i think they should just not let you rename the player character in future

lih
May 15, 2013

it makes more sense when the player character is a more direct self-insert but they've pretty much removed most stuff there now, no character customisation, not a silent protag, etc.

and yeah the translation should have certainly handled it in a less awkward way here but idk what would have been a good choice exactly. 'professor' was fine in three houses because that's very natural in english but 'divine one' gets goofy very quickly if it's said too much. probably just 'my lord' would have been decent in a lot of cases idk

lih
May 15, 2013

there's mage knight as far as proper mages that use tomes, and royal knight and griffin knight have access to staves

lih
May 15, 2013

i can't believe there isn't an ivy/rosado support

lih
May 15, 2013

endorph please post the spoiler version of the ranking with spoiler tags

lih
May 15, 2013

i'm glad the characters seem to be decent enough for the most part even if they're not as good as three houses. combined with how positive everyone is about the tactics it should be one of the stronger games in the series overall

reviewers complaining about the social elements being removed from three houses is weird, because like, all that seems to actually have been removed there is the calendar/teaching stuff which added pretty much nothing in an attempt to imitate persona, & then tea time i guess? like i like the social stuff in fe but it's not like there was any depth to any of the stuff they removed, the only thing that seems disappointing is the characters not commenting on the plot developments at the hub between chapters like they did in three houses. the relatively light world-building & general tone seems to be a much bigger change

lih
May 15, 2013

Barreft posted:

They do. also so far after every battle you can run around on the battle map and talk to everyone, grab animals to adopt, etc. before going back home or the next chapter. It really makes the battle maps great, they're real places
oh i saw someone say they don't, weird. the after battle stuff is a nice touch yeah

JBP posted:

Oh yeah also that team comp is the main game. Like you set your strategy with your guys and execute it. Game doesn't force you to adapt very much and the maps all play the same. You don't need to get too creative in battles.
this is definitely not true from what i've seen, there's more variety in terms of how the maps play than three houses

lih
May 15, 2013

it's not like three houses really forced you to adapt much on normal either

lih
May 15, 2013

its the wolf that dresses up the wolf knight (makes them wear a tail)

lih
May 15, 2013

hopefully now that they've made what seems to be the most solid game in the series in ages, next time they can finally make the perfect fe game by just doing the same thing but getting some of koei's writers to do the world-building and supports

lih
May 15, 2013

it's funny that the only lords in this game are the two brodia princes for whatever reason

lih
May 15, 2013

yeah and it's funny that just one country's is lord given the history of it etc.

lih
May 15, 2013

etie's abs are nowhere near visible enough in game

Tae posted:

Treehouse loves putting lower voice girls for JP higher pitch, but they also do it in the reverse for guys for some reason. Like Alfred is way deeper in JP, also they gave him a squeek vocal for some reason.
yeah i don't get this at all idk why they don't just try to capture the vibe of the jp voice

britain canonically being this one tiny island in firene is funny though, does jean's village have a distinctive accent with the jp voices too

lih fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 21, 2023

lih
May 15, 2013

i think it's just a little goofy that they use emblem as a title like that but it's weird that anyone's hung up on it

lih
May 15, 2013

it's the exact same system as fates

lih
May 15, 2013

afaik the effect is that the displayed hit rate is accurate for 50 and below, but for displayed hit rates of >50 the actual hit rate is higher than the displayed one

so for anyone complaining about getting too many misses at high hit rates, it is in fact already rigged in your favour in those cases, apparently

lih
May 15, 2013

are people saying this game's hard is harder than three houses hard? normal is certainly even easier than three houses normal

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why is there a random village in Firenne full of British people?

it's on its own island so obviously the separation from the main land lead accents to develop differently there. this is all the world-building they could muster this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I'm wondering how many of the people complaining about Alear being constantly worshipped remember 3H, the game where you are a descentdant/reincarnation/avatar of God, every student fawns over you to the point most of them will betray their country to join your house, Edelgard and Rhea specifically are unhealthyly obsessed with you even not in their route and the only people not fawning over you are Seteth (initially), Hubert (already has Edelgard for that) and the mole people who are caricature villains.

Like really, if Kris in FE12 is avatar worshuo Byleth is much worse on every level, thinking about it.

to be fair no one's really as silly about it in three houses as a lot of the early game cast of engage are

i do get why people overestimate three houses' writing in their memories because the supports are very good for the most part, and the broad outline of the main plot is pretty good with lots of compelling parts. just the actual execution of that plot is where it's all a mess clearly suffering from a lack of resources, and not very much happens for large stretches, so it's easy to gloss over the stuff that doesn't work in your recollection.