Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Bord and Cord when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012
Introducing an exclusive character to Heroes: the third sibling Dord

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Are Bord and Cord even siblings? I thought the joke was that they were just two dudes who looked bizarrely similar, at least in New Mystery where they get literally any dialogue.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
im going to engage some emblems

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

a tier list but for every character from all the games

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Last Celebration posted:

Are Bord and Cord even siblings? I thought the joke was that they were just two dudes who looked bizarrely similar, at least in New Mystery where they get literally any dialogue.

It’s never clarified at any point what Bord and Cord are, they’re just axe lads

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shiny777 posted:

I still can't believe they added in Karin from 5 but won't let me roll for my boy Fergus.
I like that misha, an actually playable unit, isnt in, but her dead mom who has five lines in fe4 is

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Endorph posted:

I like that misha, an actually playable unit, isnt in, but her dead mom who has five lines in fe4 is

I had to look up who you’re talking about and she’s one of the two evil pegasus knights in chapter 4? And she’s the one less relevant to the chapter’s plot? Truly a bizarre pick.

Biggest impression she gives is that like every filler female villain is a palette swap of her.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also game's out in the wild, there's a leaks thread on serenes's forum if you're curious. would request people don't post major plot/gameplay spoilers here, but if youre curious on map design/difficulty: there's a defense map, an escape map, and a map where a playable unit is an npc in danger that rescuing is an optional side objective.

the game also definitely seems like it has some teeth, the escape map features multiple enemies with emblems and monsters chasing you even on normal, and an enemy with a 10 range staff that inflicts break. (wonder if freeze/entrap make a return on maddening)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also they actually acknowledged that leif is sigurd's nephew which is funny because im pretty sure actual fe4/fe5 barely do that

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Freeze and silence definitely make a return, because we know Sigurd and Micaiah teach abilities that grant immunity to them.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
'Guess my son wasn't special enough.'

'How do they choose who gets stuffed into the rings anyway'

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Master Knight Leif was a better unit than Seliph, clearly a skill issue qualification

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Master Knight Leif was a better unit than Seliph, clearly a skill issue qualification
Although they have the same base skill stat of 10, Seliph has a 10% greater growth rate in Skill. However, Leif not only has a higher cap (27 vs 22), but +3 more from promo bonuses (5 vs 2), negating the growth rate difference. Seliph is expected to have 22 skill at max level, and Leif is expected to have 26.8.That said, Tyrfing does grant Seliph +10 skill when equipped.

You may draw what conclusions you wish from these findings

Terper fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 15, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Terper posted:

Although they have the same base skill stat of 10, Seliph has a 10% greater growth rate in Skill. However, Leif not only has a higher cap (27 vs 22), but +3 more from promo bonuses (5 vs 2), negating the growth rate difference. Seliph is expected to have 22 skill at max level, and Leif is expected to have 26.8.That said, Tyrfing does grant Seliph +10 skill when equipped.

You may draw what conclusions you wish from these findings

I really opened myself for that, huh?

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Natural 20 posted:

Like my Oscar is just poo poo, there's nothing I can do to make him not poo poo, or even remotely functional, so into a corner he goes never to see the light of day again, despite hours of time invested into him.

this post must've placed some dark curse on my file because I started a new PoR run and Oscar's first three levels were all empty levels with the fourth being only HP.

Soren has also only gotten skill and res and nothing else in any of his levels so I guess Tormod or Ilyana gets a chance for try outs

RevolverDivider fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 15, 2023

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Endorph posted:

also game's out in the wild, there's a leaks thread on serenes's forum if you're curious. would request people don't post major plot/gameplay spoilers here, but if youre curious on map design/difficulty: there's a defense map, an escape map, and a map where a playable unit is an npc in danger that rescuing is an optional side objective.

the game also definitely seems like it has some teeth, the escape map features multiple enemies with emblems and monsters chasing you even on normal, and an enemy with a 10 range staff that inflicts break. (wonder if freeze/entrap make a return on maddening)

Going through those new leaks are surprising in a good way. In a way feels like how I felt about Pokemon SV, where the marketing was horrible and tipped me to not buying it, but then leaks came out and showed there is stuff I'd be into in the game afterall.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
https://twitter.com/SerenesForest/status/1612750411751907330
I just saw this.
Best fire emblem game, 10/10

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

Going through those new leaks are surprising in a good way. In a way feels like how I felt about Pokemon SV, where the marketing was horrible and tipped me to not buying it, but then leaks came out and showed there is stuff I'd be into in the game afterall.

i mean tbh the marketing is fine, its not like they could show this stuff, people just have an impulse to assume/read a lot into stuff.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

Well this is encouraging, especially that there are maps with multiple emblem-using enemies.

One of the things with balancing emblems is that sure, the player has a lot more at any given time, but the enemies don't need to have as many for it to be threatening, because losing even one unit is disastrous to the player (on classic at least) while enemies are disposable. They only have to take one of you down for it to be a "loss" to many players.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

i mean tbh the marketing is fine, its not like they could show this stuff, people just have an impulse to assume/read a lot into stuff.

Engage's is better than SV, especially to the people it already appeals to, it's better for that angle. It does honestly lean me towards just going for playing it, since the gameplay leaks are really exciting.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Harrow posted:

Well this is encouraging, especially that there are maps with multiple emblem-using enemies.

One of the things with balancing emblems is that sure, the player has a lot more at any given time, but the enemies don't need to have as many for it to be threatening, because losing even one unit is disastrous to the player (on classic at least) while enemies are disposable. They only have to take one of you down for it to be a "loss" to many players.

If one of the chapters has an enemy using Sigurd that Engage surprise moves 12 tiles out of fog of war and stabs your healer in the face this will be the best Fire Emblem ever made

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I put my preorder in through Amazon. First time doing that, have there been issues where people wait a while to get their game? I wanted to order the digital code but that wasn’t working for some reason

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Taking a quick peek through the leaks has gotten me more excited for the game than most of what has been shown in the official previews lol

If you're more sensitive to spoiling yourself than I am, don't be tempted to look at the leaks, just take my word for it that the game looks sick.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The only leak I want to know is how much romance and of what kind there is since that's how I'll choose my Alear. But I understand that either takes until endgame/datamining to know.

EDIT: Cause to clarify, I'm getting the game and it looks loving awesome.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

other note that i dont feel is that spoiler-y, is, yeah, support lists are closer to three houses, just with all forty characters joining you in one run by default. For instance, Celine's support list as of when Ivy joins (very slight recruitment order spoilers). this may help people temper their expectations wrt romance.

Céline: Alear, Alfred, Alcryst, Chloé, Louis, Etie, Jean, Lapis, Kagetsu

Hortensia and the Solm royals haven't joined yet, or their retainers. Or Seadall. Notably she doesn't get Ivy, just Kagetsu. She also doesn't get Diamant or either of his retainers, or any of Alear's retainers. I would guess that she probably gets Hortensia if she didn't get Ivy, plus one of the Solm royals and 1-3 of Hortensia's retainers + the solm retainers + Seadall. (Rosado, Goldmary, Merrin, Panette, Bunet, Pandreo, Seadall).

That would put her at 12-14 supports, which seems like a reasonable number. It's just the first time we've had a new FE game since the support explosion started by awakening where there isn't some visible massive divide in the cast (generation split, route split, or both in Fates' case), so there are characters who 'miss out' on each other.

Other note is that if she does get Hortensia that puts her at 5 male supports and 4 female supports, + alear, so it doesn't seem as restrictively het as Awakening and Fates were. Regardless of how paired endings shake out, at least people of the same sex can talk to each other, lol.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

further support thoughts building off previous spoilered post.

food for thought, here's some character's support lists from fates/awakening/three houses.

Lissa: Robin, Chrom, Frederick, Virion, Vaike, Stahl, Kellam, Lon'Qu, Ricken, Maribelle, Gaius, Gregor, Libra, Henry, Donnel, Owain (16 supports, 13 guys, 1 woman, 1 robin, 1 Her Son)

Elise: Corrin, Jakob, Kaze, Sakura, Silas, Takumi, Ryoma, Arthur, Effie, Odin, Niles, Camilla, Laslow, Benny, Leo, Keaton, Xander (17 supports, 3 exclusive to Revelations (Sakura, Takumi, Ryoma). 13 guys, 3 girls, 1 corrin)

Marianne: Byleth, Dimitri, Claude, Ferdinand, Linhardt, Ashe, Sylvain, Lorenz, Raphael, Ignatz, Lysithea, Hilda, Leonie, Hanneman (14 supports, 9 guys, 3 girls, 1 byleth)

note on marianne, three houses' gender split and support counts very wildly. for instance, edelgard actually supports more women than men if you dont count byleth (since they're malleable), and also only has 12 supports. meanwhile hilda only supports 2 girls and has a whopping 16 supports. If you're curious, I believe the non-byleth character with the most supports is Sylvain, coming in at 17.

extra fun fact, did you know that hubert has the second fewest supports in the game at 10? only gilbert has fewer, and he has 9.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

If one of the chapters has an enemy using Sigurd that Engage surprise moves 12 tiles out of fog of war and stabs your healer in the face this will be the best Fire Emblem ever made

This was my first thought lol, followed by an enemy using the warp engage to teleport to your weakest unit and ohko them

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

This was my first thought lol, followed by an enemy using the warp engage to teleport to your weakest unit and ohko them

:getin:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's a clip buried in one of the previews of 3 pegasus knights + rosado flying over from all corners of the map so they're in range for hortensia's lucina engage pair-up attack to oneshot alfred. god bless.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Are you only talking about A supports? Because Hilda supports at least Marianne, Annette and Lysithea. Serenes also lists Leonie and Mercedes.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
A limited support list along the size of the average 3H one seems good though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycatscrimes posted:

Are you only talking about A supports? Because Hilda supports at least Marianne, Annette and Lysithea. Serenes also lists Leonie and Mercedes.
no i meant supports in general. i just missed mercedes and Annette, lol.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
That's fair, I didn't even know she had one with Mercedes without checking myself. And your point stands.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm extremely amped that reclassing seems to be kind of a huge and involved pain in the rear end, so it's a thing you do for a couple of characters you want to tweak maybe instead of minmaxing the entire class into a samey slurry.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Eimi posted:

what exactly was it that changed your mind out of curiosity? given everything else i'm not very surprised that the map design seems pretty good & interesting and that's about the main detail that's coming through from these leaks

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

lih posted:

what exactly was it that changed your mind out of curiosity? given everything else i'm not very surprised that the map design seems pretty good & interesting and that's about the main detail that's coming through from these leaks

Some story details and how they play into gameplay. You lose Divine Pulse and your engages in ch10. That's a ballsy decision if nothing else. As well some story details, but they pushed on and revealed they are going the boring route with them, Veyle is evil but shocker she's being controlled.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

https://twitter.com/3skuero/status/1614641470480203777

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Three Houses engage is just Edie, Dmitri, and Claude endlessly arguing about whose fault everything is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lookin forward to it