Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Ike’s iconic weapon, HAMMER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Junpei posted:

Will you be using Engages to bolster unit's existing strengths, going 'with' the flow as it were (ie Marth goes on Alear because they get that bonus from being a Dragon, giving Sigurd to someone mounted, etc), or will you be using them to expand options on other units (ie by using Celica on, say, Chloe so she can cross-train into magic classes)?

I find being a generalist rarely works out in fire emblem

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Eimi posted:

It should be like the anime I like and not like the anime I don't like.

Peak anime aesthetic is 90s anime, and I’m irate Sigurd doesn’t have his gigantic poofy mullet anymore

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Endorph posted:

fe4's artstyle is honestly much more generically 'contemporary anime'

its just that the boxart was by a different artist and the ingame artstyle couldnt really fully express this

That’s the good poo poo

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Endorph posted:

diamant's design really reminds me of ike's which makes it funny that roy seems to be his default engage.

Roy has Lancereaver, so that’s a really good fit with his personal skill. It’ll be interesting to see all the weird strats flooding in after release though.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I was freed from the pegasi debate when I realized it is class change that must go

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Delphisage posted:

They did have Falcoknights in FE11, but restricted it to only being accessible to players with internet connections in 2009 because screw poor people. Especially dickish thanks to Dracoknights still having their relatively low speed caps from GBA.

I don’t think cost is the issue here, it’s that a rotating shop is terrible for a linear and finite game like Fire Emblem. There’s also the fact that Wi-Fi servers are long gone now, so if you play Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon in the year of our lord 2023 you’re gonna need a proxy server or modified version of the game to use, for example, a Brave weapon.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Sudden Javelin posted:

Dragon Quest 9 really got hosed by this

:smith::hf::smith:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Blue Labrador posted:

I hope Engage has a banger preparations theme. 3H As Swift As Wind is probably my favorite song in the series. Those drums man!

The change to As Fierce As Fire is one of the most impactful moments in the series for me

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Delphisage posted:

Whag do you normally do with Edward and Leonardo in Part 3? I already tend to use Edward over Zihark (Wrath is really good and saves durability compared with Adept), but Leonardo is just so bad.

Honestly Leonardo works if you resign to the fact that he’s a temporary unit. Master Seal him up for the instant stat boosts and utilize his exclusive access to bows (including the quite frankly ridiculous Lughnasadh) for chip and a unique application of Beastfoe where he can obliterate an enemy and then use his lack of 1 range to plug a hole and not face 10,000 tigers on enemy phase. It’s not like secretly top tier tech but it’s unique, workable and requires very little investment.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Eimi posted:

Good, let the leaks flow. Maybe there's something buried in this game to make it worth getting.

That’d be everything they’ve shown so far

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Endorph posted:

yeah but thats just a thing that always happens in fe, guys who were antagonists joining you. see also jaffar and nino or whatever. im just tired of like, an actual route split/multiple protagonists on different sides/w/e. it can work, but literally every game since awakening has done that shtick. its been a decade. im good.

I’d be fine if they would bring back splits like in FE5-FE7. Just having different routes for a couple levels before converging again.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Endorph posted:

i think what modern fe is missing is completely random morons who appear for no discernible plot or gameplay purpose and provide no elaboration. yukimura in fates was a noble attempt but just a touch too coherent. i need a proper caesar or alva.

Would Holyn fall under this

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Last Celebration posted:

Are Bord and Cord even siblings? I thought the joke was that they were just two dudes who looked bizarrely similar, at least in New Mystery where they get literally any dialogue.

It’s never clarified at any point what Bord and Cord are, they’re just axe lads

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Endorph posted:

I like that misha, an actually playable unit, isnt in, but her dead mom who has five lines in fe4 is

I had to look up who you’re talking about and she’s one of the two evil pegasus knights in chapter 4? And she’s the one less relevant to the chapter’s plot? Truly a bizarre pick.

Biggest impression she gives is that like every filler female villain is a palette swap of her.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

^burtle posted:

Wait people thought 3H was dark and gritty?

I’d say it is, compared to the series and on its own

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

RD plot had a few extremely glaring problems (lol blood pacts) but was overall pretty good otherwise imo

IIRC one of the really bad problems (the Black Knight’s warp powder malfunctioning and creating an inferior copy) was changed in localization (he let Ike win to see him at full strength)

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Endorph posted:

I would say rd's plotting isnt great but its writing is really good, if that makes sense. Like, it has a good script.

Boss convos are awesome in RD

quote:

LEVAIL: I joined the army after I came of age. But it was different after you all left. It was as if you took its spirit with you. The only exception was General Zelgius, the general of Duke Persis's army.
HAAR: I see. Is that why you're under his command?
LEVAIL: Yes. He is the last true knight. I will die for him.
HAAR: Yes, Levail. You will.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

quote:

Ike: Hold on a second... Aren't these your men? Why are you fighting them?
Oliver: It's quite simple, really. A true guardian of beauty stands with those who are beautiful. If your exquisite heron prince will not stay here in my home, I must follow him. I have seen death; it holds no mystery for me. Only my pursuit matters. Rest at ease, friends.
Ike: Look... Would you mind rejoining the enemy?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Soren flirting with Aimee to get the Silver Card is one of my favorite exchanges in the series

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Endorph posted:

i thought that made the 3h cast way less memorable and distinct tbh. they just came to you in a giant blob. getting characters throughout the game means you can get to know people as they come in and their introductions can express their personalities a bit more. like they're still some of the better characters in the series but mechanics matter too. pent is a pretty bland character but hes super memorable because he pops up and solos an entire desert map and then joins a few maps later and youre super pumped to get that beast on your team.

We haven’t had a hard enemy recruit in a while and that goes a long way in making a unit memorable. You know Ayra’s a badass because you had to navigate a death puzzle to even recruit her. Jamka’s section of Chapter 1 is hugely contrived to make him look way more powerful than he is for the rest of the game and I’d argue that is the main factor in his popularity.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Eimi posted:

I'll just skip the first few characters because their designs looked pretty bad to begin with and the people from Red Land looked the best anyway. How tolerable is the teal haired pegasus lady, Chloe I think?

This is a bizarre way to look at the game and I’d probably just cut my losses if I were you

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

cheetah7071 posted:

clanne is like, laser focused on having exactly the right stats for hard mode. Exactly one-rounding enemies that would otherwise take three combats

Mages look to be really good this entry. Standard infantry movement, Tomes themselves have decent Might and being able to ignore the colossal terrain bonuses is so clutch. They can’t Break so they’re not an end-all-be-all solution but they seem to have a lot less obvious weaknesses this time around.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Endorph posted:

'i am doctor johnson'
'i am the doctor known as johnson'

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I’m really liking the map design so far. Chapter 4 splitting the party and having Louis hold the line off to the side with Chloe picking off the mages is a lot of fun and I hope it keeps up this level of quality.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

See this is the version of fe4 I make up in my head

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I don’t know why people are agonizing over exp gains so much? If promoting lets you hit some kind of benchmark on the map you’re on (surviving another round of combat, killing in one round) it’s probably a good idea to promote.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Carlosologist posted:

It also can't be understated how good having no weapon levels is

Removing weapon levels + weapon durability seems like a complete improvement. Wonder what other traditions are best removed.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

On the one hand I’m salty cause I lost a perfect Alear level up, on the other Lumera putting on jet shoes to move halfway across the map and plaster Vander is hilarious and I wouldn’t have it any other way

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Tae posted:

I don't think mystical is that special or amazing because casters have access to the tome that literally can't miss.

The Surge line is 1 range though. The other thing to consider is that Engages give different bonuses to different unit types. Byleth, for example, only gives Thyrsus to Mystical types.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Hellioning posted:

Honestly Sigurd is like the least exciting emblem. Like, sure, he's good because more movement is always good, but he's not an interesting kind of good.

Idk I think it’s exciting to zoom halfway across the map and bulldoze a line of enemies.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Sigurd’s Momentum is cracked lmao. I wonder what kind of cheese you can pull off with Brave weapons.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ungulateman posted:

it only applies to the 'first attack', and that applies to brave weapons as well as doubling

drat sad, still free damage is good.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

hopeandjoy posted:

Which S bond ring has Lethality again?

………even though spending Bond Fragments on Bond Rings is kinda a trap…

Marisa from FE8

Keep in mind you can save, roll rings and see which rings you get. If say, the third ring is S, you can keep rerolling the third ring to get the character you want; the quality will always be the same.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

lol

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

God, I'm crippled with decision paralysis after chapter 8. On reclassing had no problem, just put Jean as a Lance fighter (since there's apparently no natural users of the class? wtf IS) and Anna a Mage.

But on forges and Master Seals I'm overwhelmed, I'd like to get some magic/Killer weapons but also forge a super powerful dagger or smth. And promoting at 10 means 80% of my army can promote and I'm not sure who to upgrade besides Louis and Chloe. I'm a weak being :negative:

It’s hosed up, Lance infantry is objectively the sickest class line in the series and I hate how rare it is

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Stat totals are iffy at best at telling a full picture since there’s clearly main and second string stats. Getting any of Str/Mag, Spd or Def feels like a good level up, whereas a level containing all of HP, Dex, Res and Luck feels barely a step up from an empty level.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

What’s everyone think about the Smash weapons? The first one I have is Aymr and the accuracy really makes me think they are pretty wretched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Augus posted:

the tiki paralogue wasn't as bad as people made it sound (on hard at least) but I did it after chapter 9 so my guys were at a good level for it. it did take 25 turns, though. the dragons were manageable by just using my high-HP units as bait to lure them out and then shooting them down with longbows, wind magic, and engage specials. once the reinforcements start coming in it gets a bit dangerous but I just designated a group to stay in the middle and play meatgrinder while the rest of my army hauled rear end to kill Tiki as quick as possible by trapping her in the hallway and using a bunch of engage skills.

I did it ASAP and it was really balls the wall, but probably my favorite map so far. My favorite rewind from the chapter is going back a turn to do nothing because I needed the Mage to stay put so Clanne could Warp Ragnarok into the Silver Card area.