Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Games good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I'm already tired of being called the Divine One

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

3 Houses had very distinctive names. Everyone in this game looks alike and the names aren't memorable at all. I'm still having fun but it's very anime

e: Sorry I don't really mean anime, just like very childish

I'll get over it

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 17, 2023

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

oh my gerd I miss 3 Hopes. I hate being called by a title and not a name, and it's been at least 20 times these 2 hours alone lol

gameplay rules though

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Endorph posted:

i mean everyone in three houses called you professor

Eimi posted:

And in Three Hopes it was Mercenary even if given how old Shez is there's a good chance they've been working as a general (in AG and SB) for as long as they were properly a merc anyway.

I know, and I loved 3 Houses. Maybe it's the 2 words

You're both right, maybe it's just how Divine One sounds to me.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Considering I'm 3 hours in and that's the only thing I cared to complain about, don't want to seem negative it's really good

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

JBP posted:

How are people are able to play? I thought it came out on the 20th?

Emulation + Deck esp makes things crazy rampant now

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Syrnn posted:

Is renaming the MC/MU even that common practice? I know I wouldn't exactly be heartbroken if they just set it in stone. Like why even have defaults like Robin/Corrin/Byleth if they're never used? It all feels vestigial considering they're not truly blank template characters. Corrin was a dumb name though but chalk that up with the rest of the arbitrary and terrible name changes.

In this battle alone I've been called Divine One 8 times, just... don't have them voice the title that much. or every time I talk to an NPC lol. Sorry again I know it's dumb and it's interrupting me playing, but Divine One, Divine One, Divine One

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Make that 9 lol

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Every single person is voiced calling me Divine One when doing anything. I wish I didn't notice this cause it's going to drive me loving nuts for the next 100 hours

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

It's even when they level up??? noooo

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I just have to appreciate being divine, i'm definitely getting there

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Endorph posted:

Mage Knight exists, yeah. Magic + A melee physical weapon of their choice. No staves. Their class skill gives them bonus damage when attacking phys units with magic and magic units with phys. Given Clanne's decent str growth it seems like an intended class for him.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I'm loving the game, Divine One is the only thing driving me nuts.

You all will notice it now. Everyone calls you it not just the beginner crew lol, I'm not going to spoil anything. I just wish I could FedEx arrow it out of my mind. Professor is way easier to ignore. Anyway back to the good game, Divine One.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Yeah that sounds right so far.

Maps/battles are great. Actual locations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The tactics/battles are great. The characters are too, it's just they're mostly like this:

It's really light hearted so far even if people are dying. It's very fun I wouldn't worry

Endorph posted:

hard mode's really fun. enemies in this game hit like loving pick-up trucks. its not just ignore break that makes knights good, its that theyre the only guys in the game who can survive more than 2-3 combats in an enemy phase. even vander can be killed by a couple axe guys as early as chapter 6.

Yeah they hit hard af

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Trust Endorph over me, cause the only FE I played before this was 3H, but I put in over 100 hours and did every branch so it's like a Boss Baby 1 and 2 situation for me

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Eimi posted:

I'll just skip the first few characters because their designs looked pretty bad to begin with and the people from Red Land looked the best anyway. How tolerable is the teal haired pegasus lady, Chloe I think?

I don't think you'll like this game, but we'll see.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

ROFL Octopus posted:

This is a bizarre way to look at the game and I’d probably just cut my losses if I were you

Especially since you're with them for a very long time, still in my case.

I like Etie, she shoots a mean bow and actually has a deep female voice instead of squeaks like most of the others so far. Only 6 hours in though

e: Boucheron is supposed to have giantism right? He's like Andre the Giant

Barreft fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 18, 2023

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

e: editted

lots of spoilers in there, even some for me lol

e: the she's okay but her alear supports especially

Barreft fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 18, 2023

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Endorph posted:

shes in the intro cutscene!

Oh I don't care, but we're playing the game 4 days before release someone will yell lol

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Harrow posted:

I'm gonna play on hard and it sounds like I'll probably get my rear end kicked lol

I like that armor knights sound like actually really valuable tanks after kinda ignoring them in most of my 3H runs

We talked about my opinion on TriStrat and Three Houses awhile ago, this is really good! It's definitely not a life sim like 3H but I still can't stop playing

I think you'll love it

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

JBP posted:

Skillup review sounds like it reflects how I'm going to feel about this game as a three houses lover, but I like the grid combat and nitty gritty so I'm still going to enjoy.

If you don't mind to give a summary? Been looking to watch it

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

lih posted:

the only thing that seems disappointing is the characters not commenting on the plot developments at the hub between chapters like they did in three houses. the relatively light world-building & general tone seems to be a much bigger change

They do. also so far after every battle you can run around on the battle map and talk to everyone, grab animals to adopt, etc. before going back home or the next chapter. It really makes the battle maps great, they're real places

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

JBP posted:

Basically less engaging characters and story, but deeper combat and a big roster.

Virtually no social game, it's all about battles.

Lots of flexibility for your characters through the emblem system. If you're not familiar with the emblem heroes the game won't spark much interest in them though.

Plenty of choices for the team is fun.

You kind of need to fill in the gaps and make up your own stories through battles kind of like xcom I guess.

Graphics are good.

Combat is good.

Yeah, 100% for me so far 6 hours in

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

JBP posted:

It isn't a comparison to three houses. It's a comment on the video game he's playing. Just how it felt. The only 3h comparison is on the story and characterisation. (Edit: and of course that the combat is better in this one)

He does compare gameplay to Midnight Suns and notes that MS demanded more reflexive tactics, but that's just the nature of the two games and I can understand playing a RPG stat driven grid battler and feeling like it's mainly happening on the strategic layer.

I've never played MS, but the battles are great and tbh the only thing I remember. The people are there but I couldn't tell you a thing about any of them besides tall, muscle, smart etc

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

JBP posted:

Midnight Suns is a great tactics game, but not everyone loves that it is 3h inspired on the social side. Anyone in two minds should grab midnight suns on sale at some stage it's really fun. Every turn is exciting.

Yeah I do want to play it I heard it was like 3H as well.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Tae posted:

Did I miss an option, or does Engage not forecast how much damage an enemy will do as a preview like FE3h?

It does

e:
this what you mean?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Battle animations are sooo much better than in 3H. 12 hours in and probably at least 90% of my time has been battles. A+ game

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Endorph posted:

its funny how almost all of the class outfits are pretty close to the gba era for the most part, and then there's sage.

Yunaka's grown on me

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Divine One

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

PizzaProwler posted:

Just got my first master seal. Should I promote immediately at level 10, or is this one of the FE's where you wait until 20 (or second seal then promote at 10 like in Awakening)

Louis is my only level 10 unit rn. I'd like to make him more busted.

You can buy them in the item shop for cheap soon. go for it

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Endorph posted:

promoting resets to level 1, and you have a cap of 20. second sealing resets your level to 1, but i believe your internal level stays the same. if you second seal vander down to an unpromoted class he seems to still get smaller amounts of exp (though not as small)

dumb question here, Yunaka has a Thief class that requires lvl 40 to second seal. I'm not even sure my question, what's the point I guess. Do I get anything special leveling her Thief from 23 -> 40 change to this thief?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Hellioning posted:

Man they just could not think of any better way to introduce Amber, huh.

Amber is uhhh, really weird. What til you have him make you a meal.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

oh hell yeah the amiibos unlock some great music

Just changed my combat music too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZqWUyh1ugw

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Story is trash and I'm loving it. Every cutscene is like I'm a teenager tearing open another bag of Doritos. And then I can go into a battle and have my Armor Knight charge 10 squares across the field and get swarmed by every enemy and live. It really is Final Fantasy V in Fire Emblem form

100%. it's great. I love 3H though. Definitely two different games

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Tae posted:

I'm glad engage has freed the people pretending to like three houses to just rip on it, remove the mask

3H rules

The whole game is like this, it's fun and dumb. Gameplay rules

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 21, 2023

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Carlosologist posted:

Yunaka completely owns??

Yeah she's great

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Yunaka continues to rule 30 hours in. Zappy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Diamant's been my main man since I got him