Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Buff Marth looks kinda like Jonathan Joestar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Girl Alear's hair is really growing on me, gonna embrace it and play her. Not thinking about romance, tbh.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Its ok for girls to have a cool thing that guys don't get imo

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Endorph posted:

i agree that sexism is bad, but i dont think its sexist.

like, full cards on the table here. i loved the peg knights in fe7 when i was a kid. like i didnt fully realize what was going on with them until i finally managed to work through hector mode enough to get farina and go 'waaait theyre all girls.' then i actually paid attention to the dialog and was like, 'wait, they're all cool female mercenaries?' and was soooo excited, you have no idea. i was over the moon about it. i used those three basically every playthrough of fe7 i ever did. to be the whole pegasus knight thing became associated with feminine strength. i was excited to see the peg knights in fe8 even though syrene is a total drag, i absolutely adored tanith in fe9, i was kinda disappointed with the whitewings when shadow dragon came out here because they all promoted into wyvern lords. (which are cool, but different.)

when i played the old FE games on emulation i was always curious to see what the older peg knights were like. the evil peg knight drama in fe4 gen 1 is barely a thing but i still found it neat, and how misha in fe5 fit into that as part of her backstory was actually really cool imo. when i did dumbass invisionfree roleplays all my characters were either cool dark mages or peg knights. i invented 'dark magic peg knight' years before aversa so really intsys owes me money.

im not saying peg knights were like, my introduction to feminism or anything, or that i had some insane personal journey based on the inspiration i got from a prepromote in fe9 with two supports, or anything, it was just something that made me happy as a kid. obviously as an adult i can see how they contributed to the limiting factors of how female units were presented both mechanically and aesthetically, but i think its possible to smooth that over without sacrificing peg knights, and i think awakening largely accomplished that.

tsubaki in fates didn't bother me, if they wanted to go that direction forever i wouldnt really care, but if the choice were (somehow) up to me, yeah, id stick with female only peg knights. i get how it comes across and i get why some people would have problems with it, so again, if they wanted to go the other direction id totally get why, but its something that makes me happy and has a lot of nostalgia for me that isnt really recreatable with just 'good writing,' the fact that specifically only women can do it is part of the appeal.

and i doubt much of this was the designers intent at first, but ive seen other FE fans express similar sentiments so its entirely possible part of the inertia in keeping this around is based on other people feeling this way, especially with FE having gone on long enough to have longtime fans of it now working on it.

This is pretty much my feelings as well, right down to the nostalgia for how happy it made me as a girl. Let girls have nice things!

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Minerva rules.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
When videos games and also gamers stop having a misogyny problem, then we can share pegasi with men, as a reward.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
It's a shame because I actually quite liked battalions. Having some crowd control potential opened up strategies and ime synergized well with 3H encouraging more player phase play in general. It's certainly true that the implementation was a fiddly nightmare of sub menus though.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Harrow posted:

I liked the idea of battalions a lot. Even just thematically I liked them--in a story about war it made more sense to me that each of my units was actually multiple soldiers, with the named character serving as the leader and vanguard. (Of course the actual story battles often didn't support this, like who brings hundreds of soldiers into a cramped basement, but whatever, every FE game has a few weird moments like that.)

It feels like a system that'd be worth revisiting somewhere along the line to try to implement in a more satisfying way.

I feel like quite a lot of complexity could be removed from the battalion system- they shouldn't need to level up, they shouldn't be another area of inventory management, limited durability was fine but just refill them after battle, and frankly there are way, way too many, and you shouldn't be accumulating 12 e rank bandits or kingdom youths or what have you that you need to go individually dismiss.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I primarily like them for their strategic map control purposes so I also wouldn't mind nerfing them by having gambits do a lot less initial damage

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Endorph posted:

also the 'flying units needs their own flying batallions' thing like, made sense, but was also really annoying because it basically demanded all flying units also level authority

Yes!
Actually I wouldn't mind at all not letting fliers have battalions, providing an actual tradeoff for the immense power of being a flier in 3H

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Just give us a predetermined character with their own personality and arc, or let us customize them fully. I would rather not have the avatar in cutscenes than this halfway solution where it's supposed to be the player so they don't really get written, but you can't actually make them the player or an oc because they have a set look.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Honestly though, and I accept that I'm in the minority here, having full voice acting and animated cutscenes adds so little to the game for me that I'd definitely trade them away to get rid of the weird 'not a character but also can't really be an avatar' quasi compromise we seem to be stuck with.

Edit: And that's not a call to eliminate any of it, I have no power over fire emblem and don't expect it to be solely made to appeal to me forever.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Hellioning posted:

I mean Robin was from a game without full voice acting and all the animated cutscenes were in first person, so that wouldn't solve anything.

True, I was responding to the assertions that the presence of those things is why we can't have a customizable protagonist.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Hence my original post where I would be happier just not having cutscenes. You don't have to agree with me, I was strictly stating a personal preference, not determining the future of the series. I thought you brought up Robin and first person cutscenes in response to that as an acceptable compromise or other alternative? Otherwise I'm very sorry, but I didn't really follow your point.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Cythereal posted:

I think it largely comes down to whether you think of Fire Emblem as first and foremost an RPG, or primarily a strategy game.

I've been thinking of it as whether people think of it as a first person game, where they want to project themselves into the world, or a game where they want to experience it more as a story unfolding that they are viewing, rather than being a character in. The series is pretty clearly finding more success using the former strategy, which is fine, but does mean it no longer scratches the same itch if you prefer the latter experience. There probably are turn based strategy games that are a better experience for the latter these days. Don't know which ones are good, though.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Hellioning posted:

I was saying that getting rid of cutscenes wouldn't stop the 'not really a character not really an avatar' situation, as evidenced by Robin, who was very much one of those situations and wasn't in a game with cutscenes that showed them.
Thank you for clarifying!
I feel Robin is both an avatar and a character, tbh. They are fully customizable and also have a written personality and story arc. Corrin is both as well, even if she's a much less well recieved character. In fact, Byleth is the only one that really has this issue, now that I think about it- currently there isn't reason to assume Alear is similarly underwritten.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 13, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Endorph posted:

tbh i like byleth more than robin. people propping robin up as this font of how to do it right always feels really weird to me because they're too written to project anything interesting onto but also barely have anything resembling a personality or interesting conflict. at least byleth has the vague suggestion that they care about people but have difficulty showing it in a normal human way.

Idk this just isn't how I experience them at all. I get that it can be annoying when the fandom seems to settle on an opinion you really disagree with, though.

I don't really see me just saying things I like and don't like to be propping anything up or putting anything else down though. I'm just expressing my personal preferences in a chat thread, not trying to tell other people what their preferences gotta be or even saying the series always needs to align with my preferences.

It may be just a matter of different priorities. To me the appeal of Robin is they have a comparable amount of likability and personality to other fire emblem characters (if you disagree that is fine, but it's my read on her- I don't read her as blander or more devoid of conflict than say, Marth or Eliwood) and if I want to project, I can do that with her visuals. So for me Robin is better on both counts because I can either exerience her as a regular character, or I can play dressup with her. Whereas the inability to make Byleth look different kills the part of me that might be interested in projecting onto them, and the lack of dialogue just grates. I want to read what Byleth would say, and I find it uncomfortable or just boring when it feels like the game is trying to engage me, the player, directly.

I don't hate Byleth or anything, mind, and I think they do have more of a character and arc than they get credit for. Some of my favorite moments are when they are just reacting to other characters with their facial expressions. It's just, I would vastly prefer to read Byleth as a written character, and not even having the consolation prize of being able to pick her appearance is disappointing, for me. It does the opposite of drawing me in or inviting me to project, it just makes me feel weird.

Actually I think a huge bummer for me is the fact Byleth clearly does have a character and an arc, but I don't get to really read it in a way that I would find engaging and enjoyable. And if you have the opposite experience, that is fine and I'm not interested in telling you that you are wrong! I typed this all up because you said it was weird to you, so I thought I'd share why I have this reaction, not to argue you out of your different take. In fact it's neat to hear how it's different for other people.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 13, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Metis of the Hallway posted:

Yeah I found byleth really charming in their weirdness when I first played it. I eventually got a bit sick of them due to protagonist overload which always happens to me, but then three hopes reminded me why I liked them in the first place.

Byleth is a pretty neat character concept, even if I don't personally dig their presentation.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Eimi posted:

See I'm just the kind of person where I experience games the former way in general. Like in FE9 I feel like Ike is meant to be me and on some level it does damage my connection to the game. That's why even if the protagonist is fixed I just prefer playing a girl and the option to make the protagonist a girl.

That makes sense! Just a different way of preferring to experience stories. I'm glad Fire Emblem has dabbled in different styles and ended up with titles that work for both kinds of player.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Modders innately understand that the sheer power of having two Morgans might make your DS explode

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Junpei posted:

So apparently in Japanese, Zelkov has this "gimmick" of "emphasizing" random words, which makes him sound "more menacing" or "strange", but everyone I've seen talking about this just says it makes him sound like a Jojo character from Part 7.

The game is good

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I don't really consider using the tools the game gives you to speed up repeat playthroughs to be cheating.

3H really does become a slog on replay though. Part of it is my own inability to just let go and skip things. I hate just leaving a new dialouge marker on the map!

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Tbh I just hate having characters who just suck. Dawn Brigade is mostly not under that threshold but they are on the line. Fiona is just infuriating.

I don't think every character should be exactly the same or anything, I would just like a base level of usuability through most of the game or at very least a genuine niche. I guess this is my equivalent of being disappointed the right answer is always 'wyvern' in 3H. I just don't enjoy the game when they give you a character but then it feels like you are being punished if you like and want to use that character.

All that said, my personal threshold for a character that 'sucks' is way, way different than most of the FE fandom, I'm not exactly asking them to get rid of Neimis and Amelias, I love those gals and it's ok for not every unit to be Optimal. I can still have fun playing with them even if they are 'bad'.

Endorph posted:

i mean the game is not balacned around the newgame+ stuff at all and gauging exactly what benchmarks you'd be at if you were playing the game 'legit' every chapter is a pain in the rear end. i want to play the balanced video game by just hitting 'new game,' not having to gauge exactly what balance would be or engaging with the tedium of the monastery.

im not saying you cheated not only the game, but yourself, just that i, personally, want the balance of the intended progression speed.

Oh that makes sense!

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Shiny777 posted:

Honestly, the Dawn Brigade isn't even really bad across the board. They've got some weird growths, but a decent chunk of them are solid. Nolan being basically an axe Myrmidon works great, Aran is basically the buffed Knight people keep asking for, all the tanking ability without the move penalty or weakness, Laura's got problems but having the best offensive growths in the game aren't an issue, Jill and Zihark are just fine, Edward's only major issue is that Zihark exists pre-trained with a better affinity, and Sothe only really falls off at the end from his lovely final class, arbitrarily plot-locked promotion, and thief stuff being increasingly irrelevant. As far as I can recall, it's basically just Leonardo, who pumped all his growths into the most useless stats, and Meg, who dumped the traditional strong points of Knights for Peg Knight growths, and Fiona, who just suffers from basically needing to grind a stoned priest to catch up, who are outright bad.

Let them catch up a little in their first part 4 map and a bunch of them work just fine through the end.

It's partially FE fandom's obsession with calling any unit that isn't in the top 5% of the game's units garbage.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
You can put a hat on the dog

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Natural 20 posted:

You're not really wrong.

A lot of what Claude does never really makes sense for him, why is he invading the Empire? Why is he trying to free Rhea? To get answers to questions he has no real reason to care about when she's been deposed? It's all a product of VW being copy pasted from SS.

And then of course, the last bosses of VW and SS are the wrong way around which also doesn't help.

All of the stuff that Claude does makes a bunch more sense when you're just Byleth and Seteth.

It's then, of course, held in contrast to the loving tour de force that is Hopes Claude who loving rules.

You can gauge how wrong someone's opinions are based entirely on if they think 3Hopes made Claude "worse".

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
https://twitter.com/SerenesForest/status/1612750411751907330
I just saw this.
Best fire emblem game, 10/10

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Are you only talking about A supports? Because Hilda supports at least Marianne, Annette and Lysithea. Serenes also lists Leonie and Mercedes.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
A limited support list along the size of the average 3H one seems good though

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
That's fair, I didn't even know she had one with Mercedes without checking myself. And your point stands.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Radiant Dawn has a couple dumb things in it but it owns and I'm glad people are lightening up on it

Also Micaiah is good

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Sydin posted:

Yeah this is a good way to put it, although I will still go to the mat for the plot of Parts 1 and 2. Daein as a post-war occupied power is a really interesting story to explore, and I love how Elincia's textbook Fire Emblem happy ending of the noble restoring their kingdom gets deconstructed. Thing do get real dumb real quick starting in Part 3 though. "Hey Ike can you please help us in kicking off this continent-spanning war that will absolutely set off the medallion? Also in charge of this war is an absolute dullard, like we are expecting him to gently caress this whole thing up, but two guys who absolutely are qualified to be in charge couldn't pencil it into their calendar, for reasons."

every time Skirmir is on screen I am filled with joy because he is entertaining as hell

Doubly so when he is interacting with Soren

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Carlosologist posted:

The conversation that the Emblem 3H lords were having inside the ring was just Edelgard reading pages and pages of online discourse

I’ve been giving horse poo to my worst performing units so the Somniel does have its purpose

Edelgard reads and wades into discourse
Claude makes memes and writes fanfiction
Dmitri reposts Important News Stories to Raise Awareness

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
It sounds from this thread like the game is pretty fun and more of a traditional Fire Emblem experience with limited available classes, exp and money, but the ability to do emergency grinding? I think I'm gonna get it this weekend.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Not all of the character designs hit for me but I appreciate how they went all out. Like, the outfit made of multicolor bubbles rules? I also think hitting 'saturday morning cartoon' tonally makes the home base castle way less off putting than it was in Fates

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
How many units is it feasible to use in this game without much extra grinding? I like being able to swap around my guys but I worry about not getting enough exp when I do.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Sounds like 13-14 is a good number of units to use then?

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Barreft posted:

I'd keep a top 8 or so, with some variety to fit in. A bunch of the late skirmishes and emblem paralogues limit you to 8 people

Sounds good, ty. I'll feel it out but I'll probably go with 8 mains and 4-5 B teamers for variety.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Barreft posted:

10 would be safest, but I've found more often than not I'm depending on 8 people in random skirmishes that show up so I've just gravitated towards 8 mains. chapter 18 im doing now for example has 12 people, but it's way easier then the skirmishes around me which are mostly 8 people.

Hope that makes sense? I'm playing and typing

It makes sense and was the kind of advice I was hoping to get, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Warmaster is also plenty viable, in fact, there are only a handful of nonviable classes, unless we are redefining viable to mean 'the best option'. You'll be fine even on maddening unless you make every like, mortal savants and holy knights.