Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

BUMBACLOT posted:

I thought Charlottesville was the place for the all white events

Lol :drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I had no idea those schools got added to the AAU. Good for them.

Adun posted:

Cause it’s a expensive and they’d be bad at it. Where are the conferences going to find a few collective billion to build a streaming platform?

I still think timb could try to collectively host the SEC over ESPN

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hed posted:

I still think timb could try to collectively host the SEC over ESPN

This is actually what the big announcement is today, much bigger than $3000 face computer

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Judgy Fucker posted:

Can't find a comprehensive list of the schedules but here's OU's:

Alabama
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas in Dallas
@Auburn
@Ole Miss
@Mizzou
@LSU

That's some schedule

:hellyeah:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Grittybeard posted:

No one cares other than Missouri fans but Mizzou getting 5 wins in conference seems like the absolute max here and would be amazing. But all of those possible wins seem like toss ups...well other than Vandy, I'll be pissed if they lose to Vandy.

Not that they have it any better or worse than anyone, just saying it's an uphill battle to get back to some sort of relevancy.

Agreed but the schedule absolutely owns.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Does the hog have a belly butt or is that just supposed to be a beefyporky lineman

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

I didn't know they seriously did this twice for Arkansas

LOL, I guess I never really paid a bunch of attention to this game except for 3OT in 2007 or whatever but I didn't realize it was a state outline, I thought it was an actual boot for some reason. Next you're going to tell me the Northwestern/Illinois Hat is a Cook County outline or something.

It all makes sense now!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

drunk leprechaun posted:

"this game is starting in espn Taiwan"

I actually laughed at this

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

fast cars loose anus posted:

Now Im remembering that time Bielema pissed of Paterno and basically single-handedly killed the stupid "clock runs as soon as the ball is kicked on kickoffs" rule

I had to look this up because I didn’t remember this from apparently 2006: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2006-11-06-clock-loophole_x.htm

Now I want to see footage because this sounds hilarious in retrospect.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sash! posted:

Ideally, they'd figure out some other sort of ad model that doesn't require full commercials. Maybe some things like a sponsor bug on a drive by drive basis. I'm not holding my breath on any exotic solution.

"To watch the TV replay, look directly at the TV and yell 'I love the new Doritos Dew Crunchwrap!'"

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
don't talk to the NCAA

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

I chose to interpret this quote as though Mike Gundy gave a whole press conference talking about Mike Gundy in the 3rd person

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Can't wait for this One Tree Hill marathon to wrap up so I can watch FSU/Miami

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Imagine inviting all your boys over for a Miami game but instead of pre-game you have to suffer through Gilmore Girls

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Tired: “SEC on CBS” theme for Big Ten football
Wired: for Brazilian soccer

https://twitter.com/SickosCommittee/status/1681884041249685504

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sash! posted:

Say what you will about tradition and whatnot but I can't really see the top half being that cutthroat. I'm pretty sure that the Big Ten is the only conference no one has left to join another conference, been discreetly shown the door, or outright kicked out of.

University of Chicago and Northwestern could have battled for cross-town supremacy.

Judgy Fucker posted:

The SEC is still pretty regional. It's just a big region.

The Big 10 would be too, other than Maryland and (especially) Rutgers.

At least until the LA schools start

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

downout posted:

There was good writeup ~4 years ago on all the mistakes Larry Scott and the pac12 made. He reported to the school presidents instead of ADs, spent a bunch of money on like his paycheck and sweet offices, negotiated bad TV deals just as everyone else was getting lucrative deals. There was something else I'd heard about they were trying to go "digital" and embrace streaming but then either they screwed up implementing it or contracts blocked them from doing it. I always remember it being ridiculous to find pac12 games on anything, which I'm no conference commissioner but that seems like the opposite of what any conference would want.

I thought it was on sbnation, but I can't find anything atm since the sports reporting world has a million articles about how pac12 got wrecked.

Agree with everything you said, I believe one article was on the Athletic and there was good reporting by some city newspaper as well, but I can't find it now.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
It’s just laughing that he was hired. I still don’t believe it myself.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I'm just waiting to play in the SEC Classic division.

We still have not hosted Texas A& M

Jesus, really? I knew LSU @ Mizzou was projected way out before Covid season happened but that’s crazy.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

My favorite geographical pearl is that continental South America is entirely east of Florida.

My internal map makes this an endlessly fascinating fact whenever I remember it.

Agreed also that Maine is closer to Africa than Florida and betting people on whether Atlanta is east of Detroit

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
WJOX in Birmingham is talking all about Arizona and ASU to the Big 12 :supaburn:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Jesus if that’s true then sorry Pac 12 :fork:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

harperdc posted:

the Pac-12 Network being an expensive bet that didn't work or deliver what they needed it to, and doing so themselves (instead of ESPN or Fox doing/joining in on it like the other conference networks) is the biggest issue of them all, and gently caress Larry Scott forever for leading us down that path gleefully.

It's insane because in 2012 or whatever I thought it was a smart bet--produce it yourself and keep all the upside rather than partner like Big 10 w/ FOX or SEC w/ ESPN. But it was too early for its time and the conference networks didn't have the expertise. I guess that's why the saying is--first time entrepreneurs worry about product, second time entrepreneurs worry about distribution.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

I will never adjust to Michigan games on CBS with the SEC on CBS theme music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAPoJ6e4qIU

Still don’t understand why CBS passed on negotiating SEC’s #1 game every week to a reasonable value and then 1-2 years later paid even more for a Big Ten game when they don’t even get the first pick each week. :shrug:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

I mean jimbo is a piece of poo poo sociopathic climber like basically all coaches

Pretty hilarious though. I’d be way more shocked if he showed even the slightest bit of introspection.

Drinkwitz at least showed a residue of thoughtfulness, as he gets ready to overpay for some Rivals top recruits

https://twitter.com/user/status/1687915680820293632

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

zimbomonkey posted:

Adrian Peterson's younger brother committed to UCF yesterday. He will start his college career 17 years after big brother's ended. Has there ever been a bigger gap between two brothers playing in the NCAA?

I remember his OU team running over us in 2005 or so in Columbia.

It was long enough ago that our section was yelling out "C'mon! We're in HD!" since being on ESPN HD was a big deal back then :)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

I had to actively hold my brain from leaking out of nose when I saw the Quikrete patches on the Braves unis.

loving corpo pig poo poo.

Quikrete sucks rear end anyway, they don't use enough portland cement. PakMix supremacy. Good luck finding it, though.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Judgy Fucker posted:

There is some wailing and gnashing of teeth on OKC sports radio atm

“We’ve got three months, we’ll buy him back :smug:

The return of your old avatar reminded me I turned on Twister the other day and forgot about the '80s-'90s logo everywhere

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
For all the joking we did last summer about “now the Big Ten can finally win a Rose Bowl” do we think the neo-4Pac keeps the tie-in or does it become something else?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Don't blame me, I've already invested in Missouri Tigers Opportunity Fund II. The first one didn't get quite the returns expected, but I bet this time will be different!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1692594314180743566

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

wernox posted:

LL Cool J was really popular when Jeff was in high school so this all check out. Mrs. Brohm probably knows exactly what it means when she hears "I Need Love" as the honda pulls into the driveway.

LL Cool J's Rock the Bells on Sirius is straight bangers for the morning commute

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Falling on your sword The Right Way

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dirac Fourier posted:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38233367/cfp-reconsidered-amid-realignment-sec-commish-says

Sankey wants to revisit the 6+6 playoff format in lieu of the demise of the PAC. It would be lovely to restrict G5 access just because the PAC disintegrated. Hopefully it won't end up like that.

Article dripping with :secsmug: I love it

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Lol at “Pac-12ing” becoming a thing :negative:

https://twitter.com/davidfloyd1980/status/1694099769621103101?s=42&t=9yExOtCmDk5lDB5RELDBhA

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Not a lawyer but I don't see anyone going after two football conferences for doing realpolitik.

Wiltsghost posted:

Wasn't there something recently where the Big 10 said they didn't want to come across as bullies lol

**taps thread title**

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

kayakyakr posted:

The other conferences would make it all-or-nothing. Either everyone's got a say in the football playoff or the B1G and SEC are not part of the NCAA tournament. It would hurt a few schools enough that they'd be very against it, but doesn't hurt the tournament so much that it's an empty threat.

That sounds good, but that also sounds a lot like "The Alliance".

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chris James 2 posted:

Her best album came out like three months ago

:eyepop: I hope this is legit b/c i'm off to buy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mike_V posted: