Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

This last episode was 20 years condensed into less than an hour, with big time skips, so I find it a little odd that anyone's looking for explicit answers to specifics like how exactly he got an infection scanner. Incongruous details like that, provided with little to no comment, serve a side purpose in making you infer that lots of other stories happened, and you feel like the bits they've shown you are just glimpses of something bigger. Like they didn't pause in Star Wars to explain to you, the audience, why exactly their ships were dirty. That's left to fan fiction.

You know why that piano was so out of tune? The Murphy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I found that death fakeout a great little bit of subverted expectations and realism that contributed perfectly the theme of how unpredictable life is and how little overall control we all have. Usually writers can't resist making characters a little prescient; cavalier and brave when they know they're coming back alive, delivering last words when they know this one's going to be a mortal wound or a suicide mission.

Bill was gutshot and feeling like he was dying, so he said his goodbyes. Turns out being seriously wounded doesn't imbue you with a superhuman sense of exactly how hosed you are.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Joel and Ellie talking it out right after the shootout was the high point for me. Pedro Pascal was effectively conveying at least three things at once, trying do the adult thing and get her to talk irrespective of how bad he was at it, struggling with his own horror at the world kids are growing up in now, and alternating between pride and relief that she saved him and his irritation that she had a secret gun. It was a hell of a scene from both of them and he correctly chose a lesson on the gun instead of a lecture.

Maybe my bar is just really low after hate-watching TWD for years and witnessing not one single moment of normal human dialogue. I don't really care if these writers don't know their guns to be honest, as long as the words coming out of peoples' mouths are interesting or at least not infuriatingly stupid.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Red Rox posted:

I'm thinking they locked a whole bunch of infected into the basement under that building where the floor is crumbling. I'm guessing there's something BIG trying to get out.

I wonder if they're going to play on the fact that fungi can have huge networks underground, and have tendrils punching through all over the place. Like this real fungus that spans over 3 square miles:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsbdev3_033146.pdf

If anyone wants some additional fungus-centric science fiction fun I highly recommend VanderMeer's "City of Saints and Madmen".

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

The defining feature of being a Karen isn't racism, but being an entitled suburbanite white woman with first world grievances and a poo poo enough education to have no perspective on her privilege. None of which was visible on this lady except shared race/gender. We don't even know she's racist, poo poo I didn't even know Henry was black. Goony rear end posting.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

The potshot over her shoulder at the killdozer chasing her was viking AF.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Phenotype posted:

It's a sheet of cellophane with a waxy background, isn't it? I had one when I was a kid, you write with the plastic "pen" that it came with and it just smooshes the cellophane into the wax as you write, and then you just pull the sheet up to erase it and write more.
Yep same, with the little red pen, they were so cheap I don't even remember a name if they had one. It was just a cardboard-backed pad hanging in the impulse purchase spots.

This episode was great, though Kathleen's character did drive me nuts in the end. She had a perfectly good motivation plotwise, they absolutely could've had her arrive at all of these actions like a normal sister hunting justice. But her character kept flipping between loss-hardened sister, a stone-cold psychopath, and an erratic leader losing her poo poo emotionally, it just seemed really inconsistent to me.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Doktor Avalanche posted:

or she's all three of those, why are they supposed to be mutually exclusive

I get what you're saying, but did she seem like a human being cycling through those to you, like she was trying to be hard and cold but the mask slipping? To me it was more like in any given scene you got one of those things 100% so I never knew what I was supposed to be looking at.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

When the old white guy that was with Henry & Sam disappeared I racked my brain to which prisoner cracked and ratted out their location. Was it him? I couldn't remember. Fuzzy white male's all I had.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

It's still blowing my mind that the clicker in the car was a real gymnast, because the inhuman way it moved was standout horrifying. I think maybe the opposite is why the bloater seemed lame to many people, it still moved like a man rather than fungus-operated meat.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

The bloater was a little distracting, a little too video gamey for me. It is interesting how some people seem to just turn into fungus, and others turn into monsters. Wonder if they ever explain why that happens.

I haven't played the games, so the post about clicker status implying age made me finally look up the basic fungus mechanics and it actually made a lot of what we've seen so far make more sense. I'm not worried about game spoilers so much as potential show spoilers, the "Biology" section on the wiki below was a safe-ish read spoiler wise for me, though I skipped away every time I saw reference to the word "rat":
https://thelastofus.fandom.com/wiki/Infected

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

XboxPants posted:

Can we not?
If there's anything in my post you want spoilered please let me know, I tried to write it in a way that provided none of them except for those who were interested in the fungus mechanics and you know, clicked on the thing. I heard the word "bloater" here first, there was not an uproar.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

To people who didn't play the game: are you emotionally invested in the Joel/Ellie relationship?

I definitely am. It doesn't seem to matter what a cliche the "reluctant protector becomes an orphan's father figure" thing is either, their banter and chemistry have completely sold it for me.

I apparently like this zombie show for the scenery and banter, because their interactions with the old couple from Northern Exposure and the bit about contractors were my favorite moments tonight. Also Jackson Hole adopting communist methods, which seemed like a stretch till I considered that this timeline branched off at 2003 and they've been without steady streams of horseshit from their TVs for about 20 years.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

My biggest disconnect with this past episode was that Mr. "I'm afraid of losing my pseudo-adopted daughter" didn't nope the gently caress out of a supposed paramilitary stronghold being completely undefended, or at least do some rudimentary recon before riding in. His :ohdear:-o-meter should've been going batshit when they didn't see any patrols.

I mean, earlier in the episode he had smarts enough to let a shot ring out to see what's what before crossing The River of Death, but here it's all "oh hey, let's ride right in."

Similarly I've gotta admit their insistence of driving, walking and riding in the most wide-open spaces, visible for miles around, has been a little hard to watch in this world where man is the real deadly fungus.

That said I guess I'm glad it hasn't been 6 episodes of everybody whispering and sneaking from valley to valley in ghillie suits and gas masks.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Spawning union strike.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

covidstomper58 posted:

Personally, I thought this episode was garbage.

Which part was garbage, the common teenager power struggles set in a post-apocalyptic society with limited career options, the magical night of two best friends exploring relics of an age of miracles they never really knew, or the last bit where their one night of abandon gave them both death sentences, and the older one set the tone that would carry Ellie through everything that would follow?

Or was it just the idea that anyone was going to pull off a fatality in MKII their first night playing without internet or Nintendo Power magazine?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I'm confused, nobody's head was bashed in with a baseball bat this episode, but this is supposed to be a zombie genre series? These HBO folks really seem to be in over their heads, and clearly do not know what show I expect them to be making.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I was stressed out the entire episode starting with Ellie having roll call or something in 2 hours, all that noise they were making, all those lights with that very prominent skylight a goon pointed out earlier. Waking up a fungoid was just formalizing the fact that something was going to crack and it was maddening waiting for it to happen. Escalator and Carousel were pure magic though, even my anxiety took a break for a minute.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

404notfound posted:

I got unreasonably concerned about them dancing on a glass counter. I knew it wasn't going to happen, but I kept imagining the glass suddenly shattering and slicing the hell out of their ankles

Same, though I thought it was going to happen. They really were queueing up the things that could go bad, enough that I honestly had no idea what was going to go wrong. I wasn't even sure this would be when Ellie got bit.

See Also: hobo corpse whiskey, fuuuuuuuuck that

fullroundaction posted:

I agree with your point, but I think 3 (almost entirely) bottle/flashback episodes in the first 7 doesn't do this show any favors in a week-to-week live watch scenario.

Other shows have done the same thing, but to pick one that did it masterfully: LOST. They balanced moving the plot forward and giving backstory/flashback information better than I've seen almost any other show do it, and it always felt like you were, at the same time, moving forward to whatever the end goal of the season or arc was.

This show has an extremely straightforward Point A to Point B goal, so when it does (essentially) full stops in the story progress it doesn't feel as seamless or fluid to me as if they had done it as A plot / B plot in the same episode.

Not a huge deal overall, I was just trying to figure out what felt "off" about the pacing to me.

I can totally see being annoyed by zero progress after waiting a week, and I think why it's not bothering me personally is the main plot is pretty thin by itself so far. If the meat of the show is in the B-plots, I appreciate it focusing on each story instead of jumping around. On the other end of the spectrum some shows flit constantly between like 4 or 5 B-plots, dragging them all out a for an entire season, and that's pretty unsatisfying unless they actually come together in an interesting way.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 1, 2023

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Manterelles, aka the Crimen.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Phenotype posted:

jesus loving christ joel

Phenotype posted:

update: jesus loving christ ellie

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

This just in: the finale is going to be 100% nonverbal and focus entirely on the monkey tribe. It will be a clever nod to the fact that they are The First Of Us and that nothing has really changed except for cooking techniques. Content warning, there's a shot of a very dead goon who traded too much usable protein for delicious fond, but they don't spell that out so I'm sure there will be pages of debate on it.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

Yeah same. I no longer expect this to be challenging/elevated material or anything. That's fine, it's still got solid leads and good enough world building that I'll keep tuning in.

Last ep would've been more interesting in a Donner party sense, if days/weeks without food went by with Ellie starving and Joel wasting away, and this preacher shows up offering a devil's bargain: You break the taboo of cannibalism, you live another day. Maybe the preacher convinced his flock with a Transubstantiation argument, they draw lots for volunteers, that kind of thing. Breaking a primal taboo becomes an act of love and everyone is cool with it, except Ellie, and she has to figure out why.

But nah the preacher is a pedophile rapist cult leader. Tune in next week to watch Ellie get traumatized by another twisted freak! The experience will scar her, but can she come back from it??

In the show I'm watching, Joel and Ellie aren't here to judge anyone's cannibalistic practices. It has in fact gone out of its way to show that A) Joel did messed up things to help himself and brother survive back in the day and B) Joel will still do messed up things to help himself and those he loves survive. It was not a bad phase. They are all reading from the same Book of Cordyceps.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

Exactly this, although I think it's ambiguous whether it was a lie meant to save Ellie the heartbreak or a lie meant to avoid damaging the relationship Joel had come to value (or some combination of the two, most likely).

There've been numerous moments in the series where they focused our attention on someone blatantly lying to their loved one about survivability, confidence etc.., and it's shown as a strength with no trace of shame I think, which has been interesting. The most prominent I remember was when Henry was explicitly taught by the old man to act brave so that Sam could feel like they were safe even while the food was dwindling. Joel's been baselessly telling Ellie they'll be OK since they met. I suspect they meant this last lie to be him telling her what she needs to hear even while knowing the truth, and her being complicit in that lie because she needs to hear it, but in this case I couldn't tell if they wanted us to feel like it was a betrayal or sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

They've written themselves into a corner so that's pretty much guaranteed. Cold open on Joel and Ellie riding giraffes in improvised suits of motorcycle gear and duct tape, army of fungoids clicking behind them, looking down from the foothills into Jackson Hole.

Ellie turns to Joel, "Did you ever think we'd be..."

Joel : "...the Walking Dead? Yeah. HTFU kid, we've got work to do."
<credit sequence>