Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Diva Cupcake posted:

It can always get bleaker and more desperate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

perhaps i should not have posted, and either kept my feelings to myself (likely this) or sent them privately. i may have made a mistake and i apologize

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Zwabu posted:

I think different mentalities are required to enjoy sports depending upon whether your team is usually successful and sometimes or often wins titles, has up and down seasons but is sometimes a contender or is usually bad to mediocre.

It’s obviously pretty easy to be a fan of the Patriots or Alabama or the Warriors having a run of titles. The trick is deriving enjoyment as a fan of the Bears or Commanders or Lions. You have to be able to enjoy individual wins or great players that come through or memorable plays.

A good example of this is the Jameis 30 for 30 season. That was such a wildly entertaining season that I'll never be able to forget it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Pain of Mind posted:

Winning always feels so transient that I would prefer 10 solid playoff years in a row with no superbowls than 1 superbowl and then being in the basement for years.

Sorry, but as someone that’s kinda been on both sides, you take that Super Bowl and you enjoy the hell out of it. You never know if it will ever, ever happen again.

10 NFCCGs or 1 Super Bowl?

Super Bowl every time.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

There’s certainly different measures of success and I would love a Bills Super Bowl but man even just having Josh Allen and hitting the playoffs after the 2000’s playoff drought feels great. The Bills more recently convinced me that this isn’t their year (maybe we’ll get lucky though!) but I’ll never forget the Hines run back and that sick Miami game with the snow-ending. There’s certainly going to be a strong disappointment if/when they get knocked out - especially if they make it to the bowl - but after the sting of that would wear off I can’t say I didn’t have a ton of fun this season.

This opinion is highly dependent on how stupidly the Bills do a Billsy thing to lose, if they do, though.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Diva Cupcake posted:

lmao at thinking playoffs every couple years for 5 years is the dark period.

Jets haven't made the playoffs in 12 years or hosted a playoff game in 20.
Dolphins and Raiders haven't won a playoff game in 20/21 years.
Lions haven't won a playoff game in 31 years.

Yup Raiders haven't won since I was in like 8th grade and even though many years have passed and my hairline is still immaculate I would have traded it all for a superbowl win, which is funny since they didn't win

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Silly Burrito posted:

Sorry, but as someone that’s kinda been on both sides, you take that Super Bowl and you enjoy the hell out of it. You never know if it will ever, ever happen again.

10 NFCCGs or 1 Super Bowl?

Super Bowl every time.

gently caress yes, agreed. Especially because 10 conference championships with no superbowl win means your team lost the SB 10 times. Someone ask Bills fans how they felt about losing 4 in a row. I'm pretty sure they would've preferred winning 1 in exchange for never even making it the other 3 times.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

a neat cape posted:

Anyone want to see a dead body

Lol

And speaking of dead bodies, I was an Orioles fan before the Ravens even existed and I've given up on the idea of ever seeing them win a world series so I'm forever grateful to the Ravens

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Pain of Mind posted:

Winning always feels so transient that I would prefer 10 solid playoff years in a row with no superbowls than 1 superbowl and then being in the basement for years.

What the hell lol, Seahawks fan here, winning the Super Bowl owns, highly recommended

Edit: I should also add my family is mostly bills fans and the stories they have about 91-94 :sludgepal:

A Buffer Gay Dude fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 17, 2023

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Zwabu posted:

I think different mentalities are required to enjoy sports depending upon whether your team is usually successful and sometimes or often wins titles, has up and down seasons but is sometimes a contender or is usually bad to mediocre.

It’s obviously pretty easy to be a fan of the Patriots or Alabama or the Warriors having a run of titles. The trick is deriving enjoyment as a fan of the Bears or Commanders or Lions. You have to be able to enjoy individual wins or great players that come through or memorable plays.
One must imagine a Lions fan happy

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Cowboys almost ran out of kicking balls because Maher was missing so badly

https://mobile.twitter.com/jonmachota/status/1615190709576818690

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Kind of funny that the entire Cowboys team is thrilled with the weekend except one guy who is full of despair

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

lol
https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1615181950289080321

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Pain of Mind posted:

you're out of your mind. I wouldn't bat an eye if the Eagles didn’t make the playoffs the next three seasons and we're already five years out from that superbowl. now football is only fun, even in a loss, as opposed to fun and potentially depressing. I said in the NFCE thread that the only loss that could ruin my day anymore is if we lose a blowout to the Giants in the NFCCG, which can't happen this season so I’m good

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
when your team wins it all you get to spend the entire postseason being a happy fan, with no sad sports feelings. You also build long lasting memories, my wife will always be able to remind me about how I walked away from the TV when the Chiefs were down 10 with 7 minutes left in SBLIV, and how our downstairs neighbor came up and complained after Jet Chip Wasp on 3rd and 15

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

Pain of Mind posted:

do i have the minnesota team for YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I would require oxygen therapy at a local hospital if the Lions won the NFC. Forget about the Super Bowl. A conference title would do that to me.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The Lions winning a Superbowl is so unimaginable to me...

If they won it next year, I'd happily relive the Millen years afterwards. That's how much I'd love to see it happen.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
I come from cfb mostly (go blue!) and I’m definitely in the “consistently good” is better than a natty

But I imagine five-ten years of consistently good-great but always fumbling at the championship would make me feel different.

In conclusion. Football sucks

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

CFB is different cause there's like two hundred teams

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Q_res posted:

The Lions winning a Superbowl is so unimaginable to me...

If they won it next year, I'd happily relive the Millen years afterwards. That's how much I'd love to see it happen.

It's unimaginable to everyone, don't worry

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

indigi posted:

CFB is different cause there's like two hundred teams

Is there though

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

CFB is good in some ways but also bad because there's only like 3 relevant teams at any given time

And that given time usually lasts for several years

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

sweet thursday posted:

Is there though

maybe not 200. I was being hyperbolic but it's a lot more than the freakin NFL I'll tell you that much.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

mcmagic posted:

If they win a super bowl it's house money for the rest of my life.

:agreed:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

sharknado slashfic posted:

It's unimaginable to everyone, don't worry

:smithicide:

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I’ve seen:

A Tigers World Series title
Four Red Wings Stanley Cups
Three Pistons NBA Championships
A Michigan Football Natty
Two Michigan Hockey Nattys
A Michigan basketball Natty

The Lions winning a Super Bowl is all that’s left for the circle to be complete.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

indigi posted:

maybe not 200. I was being hyperbolic but it's a lot more than the freakin NFL I'll tell you that much.

There's actually at least 425 teams - ~131 in FBS and ~130 in FCS and a further 164 in Division II and I didn't look up numbers on how many are in Division III.

But yeah, only like 25-30 are probably actually relevant to the NFL.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

mcmagic posted:

If they win a super bowl it's house money for the rest of my life.

You think that, then a couple years later Carson Wentz is getting your coach fired

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

My friend moved to Maryland and has become a fan of the Washington Redskins/Team/Commanders, all during the Snyder era. The team has made the playoffs here and there but has never once felt remotely capable of making any kind of playoff run. Most of the time offense has been mediocre to awful. The team has generally, IMO, not been very entertaining to watch. The one exception was, IMO, the RG3 rookie season and we all know what happened there.

Of course he lives practically next door to Baltimore and I’m pretty sure the Ravens have won a couple of super bowls while he’s been suffering with Snyder but he refuses to root for them because of Ray Lewis being involved with that murder.

So I’ve tried to convince him to limit his expectations while Snyder is the owner. To just enjoy individual things like that season of RG3 making a bunch of thrilling plays, or the win over the Cowboys a week ago. And to not attach so much happiness or despair to sports teams generally, even the great ones will let you down

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Bengos

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Zwabu posted:

My friend moved to Maryland and has become a fan of the Washington Redskins/Team/Commanders, all during the Snyder era. The team has made the playoffs here and there but has never once felt remotely capable of making any kind of playoff run. Most of the time offense has been mediocre to awful. The team has generally, IMO, not been very entertaining to watch. The one exception was, IMO, the RG3 rookie season and we all know what happened there.

Of course he lives practically next door to Baltimore and I’m pretty sure the Ravens have won a couple of super bowls while he’s been suffering with Snyder but he refuses to root for them because of Ray Lewis being involved with that murder.

So I’ve tried to convince him to limit his expectations while Snyder is the owner. To just enjoy individual things like that season of RG3 making a bunch of thrilling plays, or the win over the Cowboys a week ago. And to not attach so much happiness or despair to sports teams generally, even the great ones will let you down

Does your friend uh...know anything about Dan Snyder as a person?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I can't see how anyone in the modern era could be a Commie fan unless they grew up when the Redskins were an actually respectable team. Snyder single-handedly made that franchise into the trashiest team around, and it's only the players and Rivera being a legit good person (if a very iffy coach) that gives that franchise any redeeming qualities at this point.

I hope the team gets sold soon so they can fix/replace their garbage stadium and not cheap out on literally everything.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
the last decade's been rough but I've been around for the Giants Super Bowl wins and hell, it still feels good to watch the highlights every once in awhile.

Football's the only sport left I have a team that I actively root for, lol. I'm not worried about the Mets winning a World Series while I'm still alive.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

The Cincinnati Bengals Will win a Super Bowl while I'm alive and I will personally deliver $100 to every poster in this thread if I'm wrong

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Diva Cupcake posted:

lmao at thinking playoffs every couple years for 5 years is the dark period.

Jets haven't made the playoffs in 12 years or hosted a playoff game in 20.
Dolphins and Raiders haven't won a playoff game in 20/21 years.
Lions haven't won a playoff game in 31 years.

yeah the packers fans are whining about not winning titles, meanwhile the year they won the superbowl was the last time the bears had a playoff win. theyve made it back twice, for the double doink and the nickelodeon shutout (til the last play) game. the fins, dolphins and jets are looking more likely to win a playoff game in the future but who the hell knows

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
The Vikings haven't even been in the Super Bowl since 1977. All that winning they've done hasn't even gotten the CHANCE to lose in the big game.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

sweet thursday posted:

The Cincinnati Bengals Will win a Super Bowl while I'm alive and I will personally deliver $100 to every poster in this thread if I'm wrong

Can you Venmo from Hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.