Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
Shotz. Wednesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Bottom Liner posted:

Imagine buying your badge before you’re actually traveling to indi

I wound up missing Gen Con 2017 because my wife wanted me home to mind the baby. She eventually gave permission in early August, long after badges had sold out.

Mind you, this is why I can just plan to go to gen con without a discussion unless a baby is involved.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
Downtown also lost the walkable CVS, so now I have to uber to get my Friday Buffalo Trace.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Bottom Liner posted:

CVS <--------> selling Bourbon

what?!

Welcome to the Midwest. Find me on Friday night and we can walk around the JW with open containers.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Bottom Liner posted:

Just the JW? I’ve been carrying a hydro flask with cold beer in the vendor hall since I think my second gencon? That’s also why I hate the giant boxy game backpacks bumping into me constantly.

I've stayed in the JW the last few years. Ain't got to go nowhere except the JW if I'm getting tore up.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

nesbit37 posted:

How do you feel about the whole note being able to require the other people playing at your table to wear a mask thing if your masking as a judge?

Requiring masks is a super hard sell, given that the public health emergency ends at the federal level come May 11.

Edit: people should absolutely take the steps they feel appropriate for their own situation. Gen Con has legal obligations and administrative considerations that likely drive this outcome.

Eastmabl fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 9, 2023

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

theironjef posted:

I'm just doing it anyway. Anyone complains, cool, they win. Game's cancelled, good thing I have a Switch in my hotel room.

To ward off idiots, messaging those who purchased tickets about your approach may get the CHUDs to stay away.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

theironjef posted:

I mostly just run a couple games for fans of my shows and books and stuff and the price point tends to keep out the worst. I will definitely still be doing this though.

What are your shows and books? Asking for a friend.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
I don't know if there are many new VIGs this year.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

theironjef posted:

Is the event calendar up? I wasn't able to find it. I would love to be able to have like one email conversation where they don't remind me that this isn't technically approved yet.

The deadline for early submission was Friday, I think. I had a friend who didn't realize they had csv upload and uploaded somewhere between 200-300 events individually on Friday.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Bruxism posted:

Plane ticket purchased. Hype building.

Event deadline approaching.

Also, it's worth mentioning the Gen Con Participation Grants, as they're new and not broadly advertised.

https://www.gencon.com/gen-con-indy/participation-grants

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
Event review is underway

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Dr. Quarex posted:

Happy 20th Forums Anniversary to me and my homies CaptainRat and Torrent, at least one of whom has attended Gen-Con with me all 20 times I have gone in-person!

Unhappy nearly 20th Forums Anniversary to Hrothgar, who has rudely only attended like 5 times and only actually gone with me specifically in 1997 and 2021/2022.

Oh and happy 10th anniversary to me making this goddamn thread! Wow look at all the great success everyone

Malört and pizza with pickles on it for all!

Yo, who is bringing the Malort pickles for Shots Miercoles?

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
TOVA?

https://livegameauctions.com/2023/04/16/new-auction-location-for-2023/

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
Fate are you on the Goon Con discord?

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Dr. Quarex posted:

Just realized my Indianapolis Children's Museum membership does not specify WHAT extra person I bring with me, if anyone wants to spend their time at the Minecraft exhibit instead of Gen-Con it runs until August 6

How early you getting in on Wednesday?

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

BlackIronHeart posted:

I'm sure an insane South African billionaire would say that'd be a snap.

But the tweets

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
31 days

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Dr. Quarex posted:

OUTSIDE??? That is a cardinal sin, past Gen-Con, how dare you

I am sure we will permanently lose some people from the move, I am probably not going to even hit the block party anymore because walking out of your way to go to a thing you only have a tangential interest in is not really my jam, so it is hard to fault anyone who feels that way about the Auction

Quarex, I can't believe you're not mentioning our podcast.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
Three sleeps until I'm in Indy

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Ceebees posted:

My Sunday was a complete bust, I tried to get into four events on generics and every one of them had cancelled. Apparently they don't let the exhibitor update the catalog with little details like "this event is no longer real"?

Once you're in the con, they won't let you cancel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
When are we getting the 2024 thread, or is Quarex going to make us listen to podcasts about it instead