Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I just watched the first two episodes. First one had some rough patches (the drive to work scene is really clunky, the suicide looked pretty bad, etc. etc.) but the second one flow a lot better and made me laugh more. Hope the next two keep up that trend.

Luvcow posted:

imho columbo but better

this is just unhinged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I watched the other 2 tonight and I echo everyone in saying 3 was the best of the bunch, though 4 got close with just having John Darnielle do his whole thing for an entire episode lol. 3 was also just the one that was most directly ripping off columbo lmao. Recorded alibis was always a go to for Columbo but in particular this one was directly from The Most Crucial Game and even has the same reveal where what matters isn't what is recorded but the absence of something.

Ishamael posted:

Also, like every murder mystery show, the sheer number of murders this woman runs into is astounding! Don't hang out with her, or visit Cabot Cove, or go to Santa Barbara to visit Shawn and Gus. The murders are everywhere!

Not only that but she pretty much indirectly contributes to a good amount of those deaths between Okja and getting Ruby to talk to Gavin again (you can also throw in brody's suicide tho ofc that one is a bit different.) feels like the type of thing they might acknowledged as a plot beat later.

misguided rage posted:

I kinda wish she didn't have her lie detector super power, she's always picked up enough other clues to figure it out anyway and it's a bit stupid to have a scene in every episode like:
Natasha Columbo: Wow it sure sucks that the one person in the episode I liked was killed
The Murderer: Yeah it sure is a shame that they died in a way that I had nothing to do with
Natasha Columbo: Oh my god, you murdered them!

Although I did like in e3 where Charlie told the wife about the lie detecting and in every scene afterwards you can tell that she's choosing her words very carefully to be technically true

Yeah same. I get why they did it, it feels like its playing off the Columbo thing of him just kinda immediately knowing who the killer is and just making a fun in universe rule for that always happening that can also act as a short cut.... but so far besides that bit with 3 they just haven't used it interestingly. And also it just undercuts a lot of catharsis with the mystery stuff. It isn't oh hey charlie knows this guy is the killer because they noticed one weird thing and it bothers her cause she is smart like in columbo, its :siren: LYING SUPER POWER ACTIVATE.

Catharsis in general is a weak point of the show's. Like ofc the conceit is she has to be on the run but it also just means sometimes the big gotcha at the end just doesn't really pay off, and just the whole confrontation between detective and killer since Charlie needs to move on. Like episode 2 feels like a big let down in the former. And while 3 had a better gotcha it felt weak in the latter. 4 does the best on both fronts between the her calling them a hack and the gotcha really working despite her being off screen for it like in episode 2.

anyway show is good but i def have some big peeves with it

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
OK this is the level of charisma i want from all killers going forward, lmao

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I found the reveal funny (and was expecting something like that because the way the flower scene was filmed) but yeah I also did found it a bit eye rolley. I want the person who said their theory was Rian is a Marxist to give their take on that lmao.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Arist posted:

I'm still on episode 2. Good show, but I have a question about something in this episode:

When Charlie hears over the radio that Damian, the victim, was bludgeoned to death instead of shot, she turns around and starts investigating. I think I missed something really obvious, because I'm unclear on why she thought Damian would have been shot.

trucker had a gun for self defense

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
5 is def the standout so far. Has the best murder so far with a lot of fun moving pieces, the killers are charismatic, and it has the best Charlie gotcha so far. I think 3 is overall funnier but its weaker in those other elements.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Confusedslight posted:

If you haven't seem columbo yet and you like this I highly recommend it. I'm only on episode 3 but it is a very well written show. I'm sure it doesn't stay this level of quality throughout but if your waiting for the next poker face episode and you need a bit of a fix check it out.

At a certain point you lose Billy Goldberg as composer and the music becomes completely unremarkable but besides that it remains pretty consistent for the most part and a lot of fan favorites are near the end of the show's run. I would typically rank even the lower tier columbos as better than poker face so far honestly (there are some major exceptions though, columbo has some real stinkers)

When I say all of this I am talking about classic columbo, not new columbo which... haha... Oh jeez.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Johnny Cash is the best guest star that isn't an actor in any murder mystery show ever, apologies to John Darnielle.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

God Hole posted:

was there ever an episode of Columbo where the culprit was just genuinely impressed at the sheer intelligence and tenacity on display and then like a defeated samurai resigned themselves to their fate out of tremendous respect for a worthy adversary

actually yeah, reoccurring in fact. what gives catharsis to the cat and mouse game throughout the series is the killers realizing this working class dude is their equal and a worthy adversary.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 15, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
7 was pretty fun. I feel like it would have been more compelling if they didn't went with him just going openly evil. Still decent confrontation at the end and this was one of the better alternative gotchas the show has been playing around with.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Four episodes into Columbo, it's great. I wish they had slightly bigger casts, ala' The A-Team, as 2/3 of each episode appear to be Columbo just chewing the murderer out until they slip up. Maybe that'll happen as the show goes on.

There is one very important cast member you have yet to meet, though sadly they are not in every episode.

Annabel Pee posted:

I'm a few episodes into Columbo too, tempted to just find a best of list and skip through to the best episodes and also check out the more recent ones just out of curiosity.

Doing a thing where you skip to the best episodes but also check out the recent ones is unhinged, because woof some of those new eps are just miserable.

Really I just recommend watching all of them, there are only 69 and people have very different opinions on what a best of list would be. There might be value in skipping like Last Salute to Commodore and the one in england because people tend to call those two the worst of the classics (though I like the england one honestly, its just hammy and fun)

Annabel Pee posted:

Is he actually quirky/bumbling a bit in his real life, or is his small talk 100% fake and he actually spots the murderer first thing each time and hates these people?

You eventually get an answer to this. There are some killers he just flat out hates and the difference is pretty telling.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 19, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah episode 1 is pretty clunky, later episodes still have a bit of clunk but nowhere near as bad. 3 is really where it hits its stride, 2 is decent but still feels like its not all the way there yet.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Zenithe posted:

I always assumed that Columbo was just a massive bullshitter.

I'm sure I read that Falk said at some point that Columbo wasn't married and just made up the stuff his wife would say.

You must be misremembering something, he def makes some stuff up about her but other characters mention meeting her throughout the series.
When I was doing a group watch with friends we had fun imagining the wife was his beard though.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

There's also a Columbo where there isn't a murder, but he's tracking down his kidnapped nephew. Any episode that really changes up the formula tend to be regarded as pretty bad. Also see Columbo Undercover, where he's pulling guns on people and kicking doors in. Messing with perfection never works.

Both of those episodes are 87th Precinct adaptations, hence why they also feel so much more like police procedurals. The kidnap one is my most hated episode.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i really liked this episode but yeah i agree with the statement that the mystery solving in this one was pretty weak. but i am a mark for the special effects stuff.

Jerusalem posted:

I absolutely loved that episode, that scene where the killer is smoothly (without knowing Charlie's power) telling the truth via obfuscation and then just as the door is closing tells ONE lie, which then turns into her just baldfacedly laying out one after another after another in front of a twitching Charlie :allears:

that scene is fun because it was the closest we got to a Columbo style "one more thing" while putting a twist on it using the show's gimmick.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Well like I said, she's not *morally* responsible, there's bigger things at play in each case, but she set in direct motion the immediate thing that led to those people dying. You're not wrong, but it's also happening enough that I can' t help but wonder what they'll do with it, if anything.

it would be weirder for it not come up at this point honestly. and while a bit different you also have to factor in both brody and this killer can be thrown in the pile too and even go the same way.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
sometimes you even get extra long columbo episodes and its like :O

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
good ep, def one of the better ones. it is kinda funny that the most intricate feeling episode is the one with barely any mystery in it though lmao.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Borscht posted:

Is it spelled howcatchum or howcatchem?

i always preferred howdunnit, i don't care if howcatchem makes more sense >.<

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I would totally watch Cliff Notice

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
In season 2 they should introduce someone who has the same lying power... but uses it for evil. Legit would probably make me like the lying super power more if they did something goofy like that lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i love how much the mensa episode hates mensa

in case people don't know, there is a columbo thread.