Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

drat it, I forgot about Bathurst!

The run down from the top of the track with the dips on the inside is just.. pwoah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Its scary enough in a normal road car doing the speed limit of 60km/h cause the whole run is blind. In saying that though it does flow very nicely
Just caught the whole section from the inside of the #912 Porsche currently at P3, and even while he was conserving fuel it was nothing short of utterly nuts.

Also lol at the #101 AMG Merceres flapping its hood. :haw:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 5, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Arcella posted:

Iron Dames in a Porchse rather than a Ferrari is new to me; Michael Fassbender in a Proton Porsche, and only 1 Corvette. Really excited that this is the year we're going.
Some Danish hosts on Eurosport, I think, were talking about Iron Dames being in an LMPh - but I guess that's not in the cards.
Still, 10 Danish race drivers is, I think I'm right in saying, a record.

I'm also a fan of there only being three classes of much more equal size.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

harperdc posted:

Iron Lynx (and therefore the Dames) have switched allegiance and are becoming a factory Lamborghini effort, hence running that at the Daytona 24 last month. And next year, when the Lamborghini LMDH arrives, they’ll be the team to first run it (alongside Prema). So that would make running a Ferrari this year a bit awkward!

Three Cadillacs, four Porsches (three factory plus the JOTA car) and a second Glickenhaus are the additions for Le Mans on top of the standard WEC Hypercar group. Should be fun.
It's not news that Deborah Mayer, and therefore Iron Lynx, switched to Lamborghini - it was known last year, at the very least.

And yeah, the LMPh field looks interesting - but I still can't get over how nice it is that each class is roughly the same size.
It should get much better chance of real competition in each of them, instead of half the field being taken up by LMP2 as it's been some years.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Since Brady's NFT nonsense blew up, I'm half expecting his car to blow up too.

Just a little bit, not enough to hurt anyone.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

orange juche posted:

would be funny if Ferrari are trying to sandbag lol
Yeah, because that's definitely something they've never done before.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Thessaly posted:

For fellow goons at Sebring: feel free to watch the last 30 minutes of either race with us at Camp SASCAR at Turn 17.
I've been trying to catch all ya'all on the broadcast.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

harperdc posted:

WEC 6 Hours of Portimao coverage starts in about an hour :siren:
I'm still busy with trivia, so I'll be recording it.

As a bonus, this lets me skip all the commercial nonsense on Eurosport.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

Eurosport is streaming EWC and snookers, no coverage of Portimao.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

App didn't show it until now :/
That's from a third-party site, not an app - but ultimately it's still sourced from Eurosport, who suck at their IDs on their EPG, too.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Best thing said during the Danish commentary was that Cadillac did impressively well on an European track, considering they probably didn't know where Portimão was without looking at a map.

I look forward to the coming hypercar races, because it was a lot closer than I expected it to be.
That being said, starting on cold tires during the night at Le Mans is gonna be terrifying.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dudley posted:

They've (Ganassi) won LeMans before, they'll probably be ok.
Oh, I didn't realize they won LMGTE Pro in 2016 - that's cool.

I'm not even sure the commentary mentioned that it was the Ganassi team?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Finally got the last two hours of Spa watched, no thanks to TV2 not showing it on any channels before early this morning.

It's impressive how close the race was, especially for the secondary positions - so one can hope that it translates to an even closer race in France.

Speaking of racing in France, I can't help but wonder why the LMH car with the lowest amount of drag from downforce is the one that's slowest on the straight.
One of the commentators on TV2 pretty much outright stated that he thought they were sandbagging, in order to win on the 100th anniversary of the first 24 hour race.

SlowBloke posted:

Cadillac turned into shards. Driver is fine thank good.
It was apparently entirely new-from-the-factory, too.

coconono posted:

Solved his Cadillac problem.

Speaking of solving problems, here’s the homie Matt Hagan putting it into the sand

https://m.facebook.com/NHRA/videos/matt-hagan-into-the-sand-in-charlotte/906394323751722/
The parachutes popping out at the end is loving hilarious!

SlowBloke posted:

5 secs for Toyota for a offtrack overtake while three minutes for a safety car infraction on Prema
Yeah, I've got no idea why Kobayashi didn't get at least a minute stop-and-go, he practically needed a passport to get onto the track after being that far off it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

loving hell it's a good race so far.

harperdc posted:

:siren: This is now live and without a geoblock for the United States
It's good that Usanians get a backup when whoever was supposed to broadcast it have hosed up.

algebra testes posted:

As long as I have been watching the 24 hours, the Opel Manta has been a running gag and I'm here for it.
What do you mean running gag? It's a delightful little car and a fan favorite.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

net work error posted:

Radio Le Mans crew is great, they're the sound of endurance racing to me.
Yeah, Radio Show Ltd (as they're now known, I think because they do more than Le Mans) really are the sound of endurance racing.

ilmucche posted:

I love endurance racing. Just had a discussion on cordless v pneumatic tools in the pit lane, now onto advances in lighting technology.

Gotta say non-led lights made for better scenes on tv, or at least I may be misremembering that way.
I caught that conversation while lying in bed before falling asleep, and it was such a cozy bit.

LED lights are a lot brighter than incandescent bulbs can be, especially on racing cars where you want as much power as possible to go to the wheels.

Powershift posted:

I thought this guy was gonna catch a ride at first.

https://i.imgur.com/6PVuS3C.mp4
Looks to me like they were trying to correct the undercarriage airflow to improve downforce.

Arcella posted:

I have this on at work and people keep calling it NASCAR <:mad:>
NASCAR really does break brains, doesn't it - all that turning right must be getting to them.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A 24 hour race decided in hour 2 by an early pitstop (after only 5 laps, rather than the usual 7-8), at less than 30 seconds between P1 and P2.

loving wild.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Powershift posted:

7 day forecasts are ~80% accurate, longer than that is around 50%
More than 48 hours out, where good sites will stop showing detailed tracking, is where the vast majority of accuracy disappears.

If you look at detailed chart on yr.no for Jammerbugten in Denmark as an example, you'll see that for the first part of the chart is much more detailed than further out - if your weather app doesn't have something like that, or won't publish it, it's pretty reasonable to assume they're not very accurate.
For a particular example, look at June 9th; there's a whole 10c difference in the the 80% probability range.

Unfortunately the satelites they use don't cover all of Europe down to Le Mans.

Also, here's a somewhat interesting fact: Jammerbugten is named that because back in the day, when storms would rage because they'd be pushed down here by the Norwegian coast (which still happens regularly today, and is why it's one of the windiest parts in Denmark), people on the beach would light fires to lure in ships.
These ships would then ground themselves on the beach thinking there was a harbor where there was a light, and the people on the beach would raid the ships - and all this happened long after the Viking age :black101:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ilmucche posted:

This is a story I've heard about several coastal places
Yes, but how many of them earned a name that translates as "Bay of Woe"?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

spaceblancmange posted:

*Jason Statham voice*

It always rains at Le Mans
I always took it to mean "always expect rain at Le Mans, otherwise you'll end up crashing".

Of course, you still might end up crashing, but it's a given if you aren't expecting rain.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

harperdc posted:

It's Le Mans practice time :letsgo:

oh snap a GTE-Am car into the wall and a P2 just collected him, ugh.
I guess practice 01 isn't being aired on Eurosport, only the first qualifying that begins at 18:45.
Practice 02 does get shown, though.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Do remember that the live timing is available nowadays even for qualifying and practice, so if you wanna follow-along it's here.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Powershift posted:

I'm going to have to watch the race on cable TV this year and i hope there aren't 35 minutes of commercials every hour :(
Eurosport tend to have 3 minutes of commercials every 15-20 minutes which feels like a lot, but unfortunately TV2 don't show practice and qualifying.
TV2 does show the race itself, and only have a few breaks in programming to do a news show at around 18:00 CEST - they resume the broadcast at 19:40 CEST, so I only have to suffer through like 1½ hours of commercials occationally.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Grimson posted:

most meteorology services are public services and hand out all their models for free so most third party apps just pick up those. so yeah just use whichever app you want, its generally fine unless the app is complete poo poo.
I just want something that publishes the 80% probability in addition to the 95% confidence interval for 48 hours.
Anything outside of that is basically just guess-work anyway.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Grimson posted:

yr does 60 hour short term, so they're a few hours away from the start of the race atm but theyre saying very light rain

0.4mm
Since when does yr.no cover France?!
I love that site and use it daily, but for a long time it only covered the Scandinavian area - I even mentioned it ITT.

EDIT: :piss:

EDIT2: Ah, there's no probability like there is on this one for where I live:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 7, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Grimson posted:

they're part of the pan-european ECMWF network which gives them good coverage of europe, but its generally less high-res than their nordic coverage (9km between each measuring point in europe compared to 2.5km for the nordics). also iirc their coverage was so good in some odd places like australian or new zealand sheep farmers started relying on them instead of their local met office cause it was way more accurate or something?

i stand by my "use whatever you want" statement, but you will never get me to use anything but yr
Eh, it's still a shitload better in terms of presentation than any other site, which is also a big part of why I'm sticking to it whenever I can.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

spaceblancmange posted:

had no idea the NASCAR was going to be that quick
It'll be interesting to see whether it can last 24 hours; Garage 56 doesn't usually have a good track record, even if it isn't a car that's designed to run for about an hour in its top gear, which suddenly has to use all the gears.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Early on in the week, they had a 2" larger spoiler on and were actually slower than the GTEs on the straights, they've since gotten permission from race control to trim out a bit and put a smaller spoiler on the car to reduce drag.

It's crazy all the work they've done to reduce weight and improve handling.

Lighter (but wider) wheels, carbon ceramic brakes, thinner body panels, thinner steel on the front and rear clips (since it doesn't need to be as robust in a crash vs on an oval with multiple impacts expected), engine is lower and further back, 2" longer splitter, longer and more diffuser strakes, canards front and rear, paddle shifting, traction control, a pit/fcy limiter.

It's wild and I love it so much
Don't forget the headlights!

Also, they didn't add airjacks for raising the car when it's in for a full-service pitstop - which is baffling to me.
I know they're technically not competing, but there's on the order of 30 pitstops during a race, and with a third to a fourth of them being full-service that last at least a minute for some of the most efficient teams, there's a lot of time to be saved.

It might be conceivable that they lose out to a top GTE Am team simply on pit strategy alone.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I remembered the way to get live timing like they're presented at the track:
If you're using a Chromium-based browser (unfortunately it doesn't work for Firefox), you can install this then go to the live timing site when the race is on and press the "Launch Timing71" button.
This will open a new window that you can put on a secondary/tertiary/quaternary monitor.

It's much better than the official live timing, because it's easier to look at at a glance and see where things are, plus it takes up a lot less screen real estate.

If you press the gear, there's also an analysis function that lets you dig deep into the data that's collected to find stuff that wasn't available on the official live timing (but might've been pulled out from behind the paywall at some point, it seems they've made some good changes).

Finally, if you're the kind of stats nerd as I am, all the statistics and information that ACO/FIA make available to the teams is available to everyone.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

according to the commentators, the aco specifically asked them not to add air jacks and to fully commit to nascar-style pit stops (mimus fuel can for obvious safety reasons)
Huh, that's interesting.

Then again, it looks rad as gently caress when they jump in through the window.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

harperdc posted:

well, I'd be more worried if they didn't just win the GTE class pit-stop challenge this week with that floor jack and beefy crew of former college American football players :v: :911: I mean they're even doing driver changes through the window like a regular NASCAR, it's fun, it sounds amazing, it's quick down the straights and might just last the whole race. Can't hate it.
Holy poo poo, that's loving impressive!

I was making a few jokes about NASCAR in the Discord for the fun of it, but the more I learn about what actually goes into NASCAR in terms of the engineering challenge of it, the more impressive it gets.
I probably won't ever actually watch a race (though part of that is that I don't wanna deal with Usanian commentary, and worse, the commercials), but it doesn't live up to its stereotypes anymore.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 8, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Sega Dreamcast mentioned.
Yeah, that was out of left-field.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Oh there's a descendant of the Habsburg dynasty in LMP2.
He's been participating in Endurance racing for quite a number of years.

I remember that because they always being up the length of his full name.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I got fooled by the WEC commentary, it's no longer the RLM stream.

RLM supremacy.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Motortrend+ will have the WEC Official feed it seems. That's the best bet for Americans. It'll also be on TV on MotorTrend but it'll most likely have commercials.
RLM RLM RLM RLM RLM RLM RLM.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If you're wanting something to listen to while waiting for the hyperpole, after this free practice is done, here's a piece from RLM on BOP.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

All this might help people who're tuning in during the hyperpole or the race, so let's mention the whole spiel.

For the best commentary, check out the Radio Le Mans Studio Vision - it's a YouTube stream with a clock, so you can sync it up with the live stream (whether you get it on TV, your PC, an app, or something else). It's available at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa6pF3EwQW-Sj-46DOXWydw/streams

For the best live timing, check out Timing17 - it's an extension for Chromium-based browsers (no Firefox, which sucks) that adds a launch button on the FIAWEC live tracking, which opens a separate window that looks like the live timing available at Circuit de la Sarthe. It's available at:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/timing71/pjdcehojcogjpilmeliklfddboeoogpd

For access to the information made available for press and the teams, the timing results et al are published by ACO/FIA - it's a collection of all the various technical details about the race:
http://fiawec.alkamelsystems.com/

For being able to spot the various cars easier, check out the spotters guide. It's available at:
https://spotters.guide/resources/2023_Le_Mans_SG_v1.1.pdf

For a live map with car positions, check out
https://live.griiip.com/session/149/map?columns=Last%20Lap,Best%20Lap,Interval,Gap,Sectors,Laps

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

gently caress me raw. It might be a bit of rant but I’m angry. Proper Angry.
The Trenitalia train was so late, we got in the Lyon station and the other one I was expected was already at the next station with no replacements, meaning I had to pay for a ticket to Paris and then lemans. So I wasted two good hours to get here, I walked to the apartment, deep in the Arab ghetto, and the buzzer didn’t rang. At all. I phoned the number that was in booking.com and I get someone that could speak only French or Spanish and didn’t opened up. A passing kid had a spark of pity and opened up, I found a group of pensioners chatting, I try to plead my case and after a bit of telephone game I get to the apartment which I would feel bad selling for two hundred per night let alone four hundred. I’m here, I’m deadly tired and if it proper rains tomorrow I might start wrecking poo poo.
That loving sucks, friend.

I'm sorry to say that it's probably going to rain the most tomorrow, out of the entire weekend. :(

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

I am currently in the village, took one for the team and got some Toyota merch. Last time I did the same in Monza, both Peugeot imploded.
Welp, Peugeot is doomed.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

Current live status: It’s lightly raining, stuff you would barely notice if not for electronics getting fried. Sky is cloudy, thunders and lightning have stopped being frightening a bit ago.
If you've got astraphobia, you're welcome to send the thunderstorms up here - I loving love 'em.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

spaceblancmange posted:

lol

Rossi won the Road To Le Mans race in GT3 yesterday, would think he's a dead cert for WEC next year
I still don't understand how race control let him speed through a yellow flag zone at one of the Porsche curves, which was both shown on the YouTube stream and mentioned by RLM.

If Anders Fjordbach was getting punished for tracklimits (which was entirely deserved, as he did), running a yellow flag seems a much worse infringement.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

How long is a stint nowadays?
Audi one year did five fuel-only to one full-service pitstop, and won on that strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009