Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dudley posted:

It's not exactly subtle they're gonna jam Rossi in the hypercar as soon as they can get away with it.

I wonder if he will fare better than fenderbender as a corporate mascotte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

spaceblancmange posted:

How much 4 wheel stuff has Rossi done? I remember him dipping his toes in GT3s about 10 years ago

He also did some rally stuff, with a handful of WRC session in 2017 i think.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Brass Hand posted:

Is Peugeot’s concept as unusual/risky as Nissan’s one in the early hybrid days or are they just poo poo at developing the car?

The only risky part is aero, the rest is incredibly conventional. They seem to be unable to properly develop it since every race is a mess for them, making a smaller team like glick able to provide more reliable results.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
https://youtu.be/MTTL7YMIwYs

The new fia wec intro looks like it's out of one of those unity shovelware games.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Watched the last four hours of the race, ferrari pace is good and if they avoid driver mistakes they can get good standings but i don't see them beating Toyota unless the gazoos retire. Iron lynx/dames move to porsche seems a serious downgrade in performance.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
ACO has started a ticket resale portal for people to offload their tickets so, if you want to attempt to get one, you can try now.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
If you have purchased a green ticket for LM24, ACO has started sending confirmation emails to learn what eco friendly transportation you will use. I'm going for the full masochist option of trains(which is still less painful of the electric car alternative i could use by then).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ilmucche posted:

the trains aren't too bad to get there, though the one out of paris to le mans can be real busy. and pray for no strikes

The first leg of the trip from Milano is on a Trenitalia line which i'm expecting to run. The other leg from Parigi to Le Mans is a Inoui on which i have far less confidence.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm still busy with trivia, so I'll be recording it.

As a bonus, this lets me skip all the commercial nonsense on Eurosport.

Eurosport is streaming EWC and snookers, no coverage of Portimao.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

App didn't show it until now :/

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

algebra testes posted:

Also weirdly if you live in Australia fox is showing the ene of the Bike Endurance stuff.

Eurosport has just switched eurosport2 from EWC LeMans to WEC Portimao, maybe they'll switch too.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

That's from a third-party site, not an app - but ultimately it's still sourced from Eurosport, who suck at their IDs on their EPG, too.

I'm more than happy about the race being in a custom channel and not on the 1/2 channels with the epg listing. Custom event channels don't get any ads.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Race over, all the hypercars(beside glick and vanwall) did a decent race which is a good sign for spa and lemans.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
SPA 6hrs just started, the weather is dire, lots of cars are spinning out.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

spaceblancmange posted:

the amount of time you lose on new cold tyres is insane

Only the Ferrari hypercars are suffering tho, not a good sign.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

vanwall and glick just almost binned their cars after changing the tires so yay I guess.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Cadillac turned into shards. Driver is fine thank good.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Lots of hypercars getting shredded due to tires being so cold. Current list is one Porsche, one Cadillac, one Vanwall and now one Ferrari.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Race over, with an insane Ferrari HY overtake on the last lap. There has been a few bad takes from race control(5 secs for Toyota for a offtrack overtake while three minutes for a safety car infraction on Prema) but overall the results would have been the same anyway. It looks like lemans is going to be a blast.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Can I ask any goons that have experience going to lemans to help me out? I want to check if what I think I need to pack is adequate and a few other things. I don’t want to poo poo up the thread so feel free to PM or send me an email (SAuser at hotmail.com). Thanks!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Arcella posted:

I think they should reply in the thread because I’m going and am also curious :kiddo:

If the mods don’t mind, I have no qualms about writing here :)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Well it’s the first time for me so I’m pretty clueless. My ear pro is broken and I’m getting a set of Peltor worktunes so if I feel bored I can listen to music or commentary. If I got the basic access package(no grandstands) what areas do I have access to? Do I need “picnic” kit (mats and towels) or there are lesser stands to stay under cover? I need to hit decathlon for cheap technical wear anyway so that would help greatly to know.

I’ll be packing at least one powerbank and sunscreen after what I’ve learned at monza 6hrs(where I had to find power desperately and getting sunburned) plus a few water bottles(0.75-1l) just to be sure.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 5, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Finger Prince posted:

Oh if you need to hit decathlon for camping stuff, go to one outside of greater le mans if you can because anything near the track close to race weekend will be gutted.

Thankfully i have a decathlon in my town, i'll have to play tetris with the suitcase and mountaineering backpack(which i hope inoui won't throw a hissy fit on, they looks as bad as ryan air on bags) to fit a folding chair into it.

Edit: Maybe we might want to set up a imessage/whatsapp/telegram group chat for people onsite so we can find each other out.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Finger Prince posted:

If you're fine being on your feet/standing for most of the day, you can get away with not having a folding chair. If you can get one of those compact lightweight Helinox (or store brand equivalent) chairs, it'll be less of a burden to slog around like a full sized chair. I can't remember if I brought one last year. I don't think I did, as I was travelling as light as possible.

Barring any digital communications, anyone there this year is welcome to come to Tetre Rouge bar Sunday after the race. I'll be sat up on the wall by the tunnel watching everyone leave, getting drunk, as is tradition.

My problem is that i'm traveling by train (green ticket, FML) so luggage room is a luxury, i'll go see if i can find a foldable chair small enough to fit in my luggage while being able to fit my girth. Otherwise plan b is my usual backpacking combo of yoga mat and beach towels which can fit easily.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Cygni posted:

I'm another first timer to Le Mans (but not endurance races) flying in from Los Angeles and then coming into Le Mans by train from Caen the morning of the race. Have a tiny airbnb in the city center that cost me an arm and a leg. I paid the extra 46 euro to have access to the ACO members area to try to avoid having to buy/haul a chair around and hopefully get some wifi access, we will see if my plan is succesful.

I booked my train out of Le Mans like an hour before the race actually ends (there weren't great options with my railpass), so bit of a bummer. Have every appendage in my body crossed that the strikes in europe stay at bay for June lol.

I've found a residence room using booking.com that costed me 2k€ for 8-12 jun. I'm still kicking myself for not booking earlier (and losing access to pits or grandstands) and not get milked so badly.

I will have to go Trieste-Milan(night stop in Milan), Milan-Lyon, Lyon-lemans with the lyon-lemans leg on inoui which scares me to the bone, since i've never used them(never been to France) and they have the weirdest boarding restrictions i've ever seen.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

algebra testes posted:

As long as I have been watching the 24 hours, the Opel Manta has been a running gag and I'm here for it.

Weirdly enough until the Dacia started competing, the manta was slow but it rarely stopped. After the Dacia, it's a coin toss if the foxtail engine is going to implode and retire.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ilmucche posted:

I love endurance racing. Just had a discussion on cordless v pneumatic tools in the pit lane, now onto advances in lighting technology.

Gotta say non-led lights made for better scenes on tv, or at least I may be misremembering that way.

Digital sensors and led lights don't like each others on night shots(it's an intense directional light so it doesn't light up the frame as neatly as other tech), compared to film and halogen or even digital sensors and halogen. You need very good equipment(lenses and processing systems) to compensate and usually track side cameras are designed with sturdiness rather than quality in mind.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dudley posted:

They just reshowed the Dacia one, I think the only fair punishment is Porsche are forced to disband as a car company.

While I understand accepting weird entries for entertainment reason, having a trabant running in the same race of a gt3 on a narrow track like the nurburgring is not the best. I think they should cut the main race allowed classes to gt4 and up and move the dacia+manta to a "tcr and shittier" dedicated race.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

orange juche posted:

It's not weird it's a whole class. If you only accepted sp9 and sp10 you wouldn't have enough cars on track, as only about 1/3 of the cars are the SRO GT4 or FIA GT3 spec.

Maybe it could increase the top spec race participants since not having to worry about random boat anchors on the track would make it look less like a wacky races event. You can't deny that to a lot of viewers n24 is felt like a lesser race than any other race in the LMC circuit due to the excess of classes on the track.

edit:
Dacia is officially dead
https://www.instagram.com/p/CsgK0cFtD8u/?hl=en

Structural damage means the engine cannot be fixed.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 21, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

harperdc posted:

the Nurburgring 24 Hours is associated with the NLS (Nurburgring Endurance Series in English), which is a group of races organized by German amateur racing clubs. It's a high-profile event, but it's not part of a global championship for GT3/GT4 cars. It's not connected to the Spa 24 and the GT World Challenge endurance races, it's not connected to the FIA WEC, it's its own thing.

I know they are different things, but you cannot deny that, even if it's done on a smaller budget, there is sneer on n24 from a lot of endurance fans due to the feeling that is a circus instead of a proper race.

Edit: to compensate for a lovely snipe here is some gte racing at pergusa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BcD_JN55GM

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 21, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

orange juche posted:

This I don't get, I've never heard of anyone thinking of the N24 as a lesser event. It's less publicized outside of people who are neck deep in endurance racing but among people who know what it is I've never heard something like people looking down at the N24.

Maybe it's a regional thing, i don't know. Probably it's a consequence of not being in the spotlight as LMC. It's not as prevalent in kids that lived on gran turismo and forza games tho.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Why was that guy jumping on the Porsche?

Something stuck in the chassis, struts or other support systems in the front.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
On the "Go to LeMans or die trying" front, decathlon in-house brand Quechua has a decent foldable chair in their MH500 model which seats normal people and MH500XL which fits goons. The XL variant is rare so be prepared to fight to source it. I got the last one in my town decathlon foldable chair bin. It requires mounting so if you have zero technical skills you might want to grab a less compact unit but without assembly requirements.

This is the promo video for it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzOElRZ4HMc

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 21, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Arcella posted:

Anyone know when they're sending out the (?digital) Le Mans tickets?

Instantaneous after the credit card cleared. You can get the PDF in your account page.
Keep in mind that if you got a green one you need to send them the travel detail(train/bus/electric car rental) before june.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Arcella posted:

Weird, still haven’t gotten ours from the tour group.

I would strongly advise to confirm with the tour group if those tickets exist or not.

ACO has just sent me a reminder about these resources for tourists, in case someone didn't accept their newsletter here they are

https://www.24h-lemans.com/en/info/practical-information
https://www.24h-lemans.com/en/program
https://www.24h-lemans.com/en/faq/circuit-access

https://assets.lemans.org/explorer/pdf/courses/2023/24-heures-du-mans/2023-24-heures-du-mans-program.pdf

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 27, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

harperdc posted:

The interesting news from here is that Toyota's Rookie Racing Corolla, which had been running hydrogen for the past couple years (including the 24 Hours), is...going to run hydrogen this weekend. But instead of compressed gas, they're running liquid hydrogen. And with news breaking that the ACO has added hydrogen combustion technology as a potential option for the 24 Hours of Le Mans and therefore also WEC as a sub-class probably of LMP1 Hypercar. The announcement was made at Fuji Speedway, and Toyota's new CEO had very positive noises to make about this; if I had to guess, they were also on a fact-finding mission about the Toyota H2 ICE car and liquid hydrogen infrastructure being used at a racing circuit, because that latter point especially truly is new ground.

Wouldn't combusting liquid hydrogen require to keep most if not all the fuel system at cryogenic temperatures? It doesn't seem a technology easy to package in a way that can handle crashes and all the damage a WEC race can exert on a car.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Finger prince, if you guys just need admission, i could buy the grandstand+ge full week from private and sell you my green full week admission.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 29, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah I'm cool with that. I'll be taking the train from Paris. I bought a regular ticket, but my ticketless friend I'm trying to find one for is coming with so I'll have a train ticket to show them.

I already did the train ticket compliance part so the ticket is cleared on that front, I'll let you know more via PM.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 29, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Slight off topic, where can I find a reliable weather service that covers lemans? I am starting to pack stuff and apple weather is showing rains during the weekend but i'd like another opinion before committing to hard rain kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Finger Prince posted:

Weather Underground and/or Windy are my go-to weather apps in general. I don't pay for Windy premium so if I need hourly forecast I'll use WU.

Well apple and accuweather say light rain while weather underground believes it's monsoon season ... Yay...