Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

The Eyes Have It posted:

I can't believe that guy is only 44. He looks so much older/less healthy.
Its the newscaster hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

slurm posted:

I wonder if some random guy will try to snag it
At 60,000 feet?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

People send hobby balloons up there. I’d believe somebody could whip something together if they were motivated.
Well, this just got interesting. . .

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Countdown till one ends up in a butt...

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Edit: Guess I gotta be quicker on the draw in these parts!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fbi-arrests-2-suspects-accused-planning-attack-baltimore-power-grid-rcna69324

Two Neo-Nazis accused of plotting to attack power substations in and around Baltimore. One of them is one of the founders of Atomwaffen. This is a pretty significant and serious threat lone wolf attack by someone with mental illness that was luckily thwarted by authorities.
FTFY, since the US absolutely refuses to admit we are involved in a decades-long right-wing terror campaign.

Here's some fun context: https://www.businessinsider.com/electrical-power-grid-attack-us-infrastructure-terrorism-2023-1

quote:

An Insider investigation has found that attacks against the electrical grid nationwide are at an all-time high — and experts say the greatest threat comes from right-wing extremists seeking to sow chaos and accelerate the devolution of the social order. The investigation, which includes an analysis of newly released Department of Energy data, visits to substations, a review of law enforcement records from nine jurisdictions, as well as neo-Nazi propaganda, and interviews with six power industry and extremism experts, found that attacks on the grid spiked dramatically last year, with a 72 percent increase over 2021.

According to Department of Energy statistics, human attacks were responsible for 171 "electric disturbance incidents" around the country in 2022, compared with 99 in 2021. (Insider's review of the data counted incidents that the Department of Energy labeled as the result of vandalism, sabotage, actual physical attack, cyber event and suspicious activity.)

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 6, 2023

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I'm just shocked that they're using sanctimonious correctly.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Arrath posted:

Oh for gently caress sake
Just gunna leave this here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu6C2KL_S9o&t=43s

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

GoGoGadget posted:

He wasn't a convert, but a sponsor of one.

And yeah, it is a bit odd to have to go through classes to convert, but the more I go through it the more I understand it. As pointed out, the ritual of it all is very important and you can't easily come into that without deliberate teaching. But what attracted me to it was the relative liberalism and actually caring about people I saw in those like the doctor running this RCIA group compared to my Southern Baptist upbringing where I was taught everyone was a sinner that deserved to burn eternally in the fiery pits of Hell.
One of the few points in the catholic church's favor is that they generally fall on the works side of the "faith vs works" debate.

I spent 13 years in catholic school, which predictably means that I haven't been to church except for a wedding or funeral in decades, but I can still attest that the Jesus I learned about has nothing in common with American evangelical Jesus.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Is this the one across from the snake farm?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Soul Dentist posted:

Just sounds nasty
It pretty much is.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

I once spent 8 hours in line in Colorado for a "chance" to view rescue dogs for adoption after filling out an extremely onerous and invasive application. Never got to see one; after that we just looked on Craigslist and got a puppy from a surprise litter that happened after two neighboring ranch dogs had a tryst. We made another attempt at getting a rescue dog a few years later and gave up after weeks of back-and-forth, agreements to let inspectors tour our home, interviews, etc. Pet culture in the US develops a lot of extremely strange attitudes.
A few years back we looked into getting a dog from a couple of recuse groups, and they all wanted insane bullshit like you are describing. References, home inspections, interviews, trial periods, and an agreement that they group could take the dog back at any time. We looked at several groups and they all had this batshit insanity.

Our friends were going through the human being foster/adoption process at the same time, and the similarity was not lost on me.

Ended up getting a puppy from the local shelter with zero rigmarole. I think most of their "questions to ask people" flowchart got bypassed because we already had a dog. Like seriously, rolled in when they opened, and were home with the dog an hour later.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I, too, have wondered why the hell Tesla's self driving mode is legal.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Actual train nerds will have real answers, but from doing light reading on it over the last couple decades (used to work for a place that tracked chemical spills), the real high level answer is :capitalism: Maintenance costs money, giving workers rest and PTO costs money, safety costs money--and all cost more than whatever fines they'll get slapped with for destroying a town.

And if the "blue collar," "pro-union," Democratic president who famously rode the hell out of Amtrak is willing to strike break for the railroad owners, none of it is going to get any better.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

ASAPI posted:

I saw those as well. It was part of what prompted me to start looking at things.

I get that they are probably stretching their maintenance further. I also get the labor cost issue.

I'm trying to figure out the "why now?" It doesn't seem like there was a noticeable change after the strike was blocked, then suddenly, we have trains leaking poo poo and killing people all over the place. I had expected a slower, more incremental degradation of the system.
Don't have time to find the data right now, and maybe someone else has it, but I wonder about "suddenly, we have trains leaking poo poo and killing people all over the place." We may very well have hit an increase, but I'd think it's equally probable that it's just the media is suddenly paying attention. There's a lot of train track in BFE.

Edit: This lazy google news search without "palestine" leaves a trail of ugh over the past few years.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 14, 2023

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

If it lets them target a minority with their hatred they'll absolutely do it, Robin Williams be damned. Hating and attacking people is what they're all about now.
Assuming by "now" you mean "throughout the recorded history of religion" then: :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The Yiddish Policemen's Union, I thought it was an interesting alternate history story.
Was going to say the same. It's a good read. You may want to try it again.