Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

maffew buildings posted:

I spent all night picking this out for you, I hope it's perfect

(USER WAS AUTOBANNED FOR THIS POST)

:lol: on multiple accounts.

Zamujasa posted:

After Trump won the primary and then the general in 2016, assuming someone is unelectable because of their beliefs/policies/actions should have gone out the window.

Especially if Biden runs again.

You don't need to rile up the base so hard you overwhelm everyone; you just have to depress the opposition so they don't show up.

Part of the problem with Trump, was that he didn't have any sort of record as an elected official to point at. Didn't matter that anyone with a functional brain could see he would put things in place to actually reverse Roe v. Wade, you had people arguing he'd never do that, and that he'd mature once he was in office. lol at that.

DeSantis does not have that luxury. He has very real actions as a governor people can point at. I'm not saying it's a slam dunk but it's not a 1:1 comparison with Trump being called unelectable in 2016.

Also I don't think Trump will go away quietly if DeSantis is somehow the nominee. Bet on that.

EFB by Mustang. Should click post when I actually write a post instead of walking away for coffee for a couple of hours.

facialimpediment posted:

We're still in the phase where we don't even know what to really worry about.

Yep, we're still so early in this poo poo that it's still a guess at best for everyone right now.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

-note that Florida kept schools open and support parents over teacher indoctrination. I think that worked in Virginia

It kind of worked in Virginia. Youngkin and the GOP pushed on this poo poo hard against McAuliffe, who had an actionable record as a former governor while Youngkin did not. It worked, BUT, it's backfiring because now Youngkin and the GOP are pushing GOP culture war poo poo in schools where a lot of voters would prefer that people just let their kids learn in peace. McAuliffe's fuckup was his "I don't think parents should have a say in the education of their children" line (not verbatim but that was the gist and I'm too lazy to look it up), and Youngkin yelling about masking and no in-person schooling, which the no-in person schooling attack seemed to land harder than anything else. The CRT poo poo was also a factor but not nearly as much as people think it was. Ditto for trans students and such.

DeSantis can't play the "Here's what I'd do" card and pretend that what he's done in Florida hasn't taken place. Youngkin only got away with it because again, he was running without having a record as an elected official people could point at and call bullshit on. DeSantis won't have that luxury.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Senator Shithead seen dining with Speaker Dumbshit
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1620926058425122817?t=Ex0dlAcl840VfxPtfN5o3Q&s=19

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

The funniest part about this photo is that one of these people went on to have a very successful career in comedy and television.

The other person is Rob Schneider.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Balloon chat, is a likely reason it wasn’t shot down that they probably don’t know 100% if it is manned? Would guess probably worth the trade off to let it linger a bit and work it out over back channels rather than risk China having to react to a pilot being killed.

I think the concern is more "Can't say with certainty where the debris will end up once shot down" and they don't want to risk it causing property damage or worse.

Something falling from 60,000 feet isn't going to fall in a straight line to the ground.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Alternately, Joe is bad because he shot it down over Tennessee and now it rained debris all over mah property and dented mah truck.

I threw that logic at my FIL and it stunned him for a few seconds at least.

"Hey, do you think it'd be a good thing if three metro busses just randomly fell from the sky?"
"uhh, I uhh, well no, but...uhhh"

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Probably gonna regret saying this, but LET THEM FIGHT.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

hypnophant posted:

taking the high road against trump has been such a successful strategy in the past, i’m sure it’ll work out for ron too

Someone else put it best

"Wow, big JEB! energy right there."

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I think one of the best unforced errors my mom ever made was despite her being a Baptist, she opted to baptize my sister and I in the Episcopal church since that was my dad's families denomination (though he didn't give a poo poo) and basically just had us go to their services and programs growing up. I ended up working at a summer camp too for a few years when I was in high school, and made some life long friends there.

I'm agnostic now, but when I still went to church and that camp, it was nice dealing with the sane version of Christianity instead of being told I was going to hell constantly. Got to experience that again at my mom's funeral service though. Pastor would not shut the gently caress up about how everyone there was DOOMED unless they subscribed to his brand of Christianity. gently caress that guy.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

My wife refuses to adopt from or work with most dog rescues for the reasons people already listed here. A lot of it is insane levels of requirements and bullshit they expect potential adopters to go through, as well as being poorly run or financed, as well as in some cases hoarding animals in their shelters. Oh and a lot of the time, they are very big on getting those sweet sweet monetary donations, but are quick to ignore the advice and guidelines given to them by staff vets, and use those donations to pad salaries for non-medical staff.

All three of my dogs came from the non-profit/Gov run shelter my wife worked at for a few years. The two perks we had because she worked there was that we didn't need to pay the adoption fee, and she basically got to snag them before they were made available for the public at large to adopt.

Beyond that, all they ask for whenever you adopt is the fee (IIRC it's like 150-200 for a dog, and it's just to cover spay/neuter, microchip, and initial vaccines), an application, and you basically just signing a contract saying that if for any reason you cannot take adequate care of the dog for whatever reason, you surrender the dog back to them. Not "We can take your dog from you!", just "Hey if it's not working out, just bring them back to us. No questions asked. We just want to ensure they're safe.." They even tell you if the dog needs medical care that you can't afford, to surrender it to them so they can "pay" for it, and assuming the medical care isn't due to you being a poo poo dog owner, they'll often ensure you get the dog back once they're recovered.

And the contract is more so if a dog you adopt ends up in their shelter again and was clearly neglected or abandoned, they can go ahead and blacklist you from adopting again. Oh and as my wife puts it, the fee is more to stop people from hoarding pets/dog fighting rings from acquiring free dogs. They will do "empty the shelter" days all the damned time, and usually waive the fee so long as the adopter passes the smell test.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 10, 2023

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's a bait dog? I assume for hunting larger game like bears or something?

Now I wanna know who you quoted first

It's very :smith:

dogs used by dog fighting rings to "train" other dogs to fight and kill other dogs. Usually smaller dogs that will have zero to little chance of inflicting harm on the dog being "trained". It's incredibly hosed up.

My wife has gone on a handful of raids with animal control and law enforcement to break up rings as well as gone to court to testify a few times as an expert witness. These people are massive pieces of poo poo and I wouldn't piss on them if they were burning alive.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

What the living gently caress? I volunteer for a rescue because I believe in what they're doing and I've seen firsthand how dedicated they are.

God it makes me sad to hear something good get twisted beyond all recognition like that.

I hate people.

Yeah I'll offer the caveat that there are plenty of rescue orgs out there that aren't poo poo and competently run. So my bad for painting with a broad brush, but the overwhelming majority that my wife and her colleagues have come into contact with in the States are massive poo poo shows.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I was mad at the people pulling that poo poo, not you for implying it

I stand by my original point though will refine it to "I like dogs more than people"

Oh no, you're good. I figured that's what you meant, but I still felt compelled to point it out cause a few people posted afterwards that they worked with rescues that didn't do any weird poo poo.

But yeah, fully onboard with the dogs > people party.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Dead Nazis is always good news.

:yeah:
Rest in piss.

M_Gargantua posted:

Good.

Fentanyl overdose or suicide before his trial? We will probably eventually know.

It was confirmed as a suicide.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/charlottesville-tiki-torcher-teddy-joseph-von-nukem-killed-himself-before-trial

Also big lol at this

quote:

According to law enforcement records, Von Nukem quickly admitted that he had been paid 4,000 Mexican pesos (around $215) to smuggle the pills into the country.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 15, 2023

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

This is what a tough guy really looks like

Seriously.

And this poo poo is gonna put me on a hair trigger if I run into any friends or family that start dropping hot takes about it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Platystemon posted:

BREAKING: Presidential Medal of Freedom recipient Rush Limbaugh has been sober for two years

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1626699285168287745?s=20

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Bored As gently caress posted:

I honestly don't see how Eagle Claw ever would've worked.

The books I've read about it, including the book about Task Force Orange / ISA The Killer Elite, make me feel like it would've been worse than Mogadishu and could've been a massacre. I just dont see how a bunch of Rangers and Delta guys could hold off hundreds of armed bad guys with zero air support overhead.

My hot take is that even if Eagle Claw somehow worked out and Carter was able to get most if not all of the hostages out of Iran, he'd have still lost in 1980. Maybe not as much as he did in reality, but I think the economy is really what did him in. Iran and deteriorating relations with the Soviets/Olympics boycott was just the icing on the cake.

Sucks but then found out this about him today,

quote:

Belzer has been a regular guest on the right-wing radio show of Alex Jones and appeared on the episode covering the Boston Marathon bombing, in which he referred to the bombing as a false flag event.[15]

gently caress him for that.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I’d highly recommend The Outlier: The Life and Presidency of Jimmy Carter by Kai Bird, I learned a ton. It’s a well researched account and doesn’t overlook his flaws and mistakes, like his terrible relationship with a democrat Congress preventing big stuff from getting done, but is also highlights his achievements like his ridiculously intensive effort to get the Camp David Accords done.

Also lots of interesting tidbits like his grandfather being murdered by a business partner in a dispute over office furniture and when he left as governor he carefully make sure the mansion’s furnace was turned down.

I've had this on my "to-read" list for awhile now. Should probably get around to it sooner than later.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

McNally posted:

They don't land on the car.

The car talks them down.

You can't say that and not post the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PmYItnlY5M]

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

ASAPI posted:

Ha!

The other day the wife asked if it would be better to use a voice ID. I told her to just keep using the multi factor we are currently using. Glad I made the right choice.

MFA for anything and everything that I can.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

CommieGIR posted:

He can rightly get hosed.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I deleted my Twitter account back in December just cause it didn't seem worth keeping anymore, especially with that dipshit at the helm.

Honestly, my mental health has improved substantially since I don't doom scroll or constantly get exposed to nuclear level takes on an hourly basis. I still click through and look at Tweets obviously, but not having that stupid app on my phone really has done wonders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I'm thinking about deleting Instagram. I have accounts for posting fun and goofy pictures of my dogs which are pretty nice and devoid of the crappy content Zucc thinks I want to see, but their Reels feature is such a loving disaster. For some reason it thinks I like watching road rage incidents or fights at stadiums or whatever despite having never sought out that kind of content, yet I get bombarded with it.

At least I'm not getting reels consisting of extreme gore or sexual assault like some meme pages are circulating in order to drive up "engagement."

Ooof, yeah I don't blame you. I mostly use mine for pictures of my pets, vacation or just random household projects. My reels algorithm is seemingly fine because I tend to get mostly reels of either pet stuff, "comedy" ones about being child free or being married while child free, or stuff about Lego or videogames. So I've avoided the chuddy or straight up awful stuff for now but I think if that ever changes, I'm okay with bouncing from there too.