Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Honestly games are so fast and required buy-in is so small that I can't even get mad when people destroy me, I wish more battle royal games were this fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Mendrian posted:

Honestly games are so fast and required buy-in is so small that I can't even get mad when people destroy me, I wish more battle royal games were this fast.

This is absolutely the best thing about the game.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
How do you make any progress in this game just starting out? I love the idea behind it, but man I can't make any progress.

My gf and I played about 10 matches, and I don't think any lasted more than 5 minutes. Anytime we ran into other players, they would just install destroy us. We have just staring gear, but I guess they want our underwears?

Do we just start off with running from everything, shutting doors behind us, find loot and try and make an early exit?

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.

Harminoff posted:

How do you make any progress in this game just starting out? I love the idea behind it, but man I can't make any progress.

My gf and I played about 10 matches, and I don't think any lasted more than 5 minutes. Anytime we ran into other players, they would just install destroy us. We have just staring gear, but I guess they want our underwears?

Do we just start off with running from everything, shutting doors behind us, find loot and try and make an early exit?

Pretty much, but some classes are WAY harder to start with others in my experience. Fighters have the easiest start imo.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Harminoff posted:

Keep an eye on how many people died. Once more folks are kicking the buckets start playing more cautiously. If you end up being the last player standing, you just have to survive and find a portal. That first escape will feel really good.

Also, you get exp for killing stuff, you just get a ton more for escaping.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Harminoff posted:

Are either of you playing a Cleric? Clerics make PvE much easier especially in a party, they arent' great for PvP but if your strategy is to run away anyhow you really just want to get good at killing skeletons and escaping. Clerics are really good at recovering from mistakes. Wizard/Fighter are also fun.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A lot of it is learning the whens, whos, and hows of engaging enemy players based on location and their classes. I've never had better than a white weapon in two playtests and 99 percent of the time I'm running a grey felling and was running that and starter everything else in that game last night where I had 8 kills.

They go after you even though you're only in starter gear because 1. killing players is the most fun 2. you may have loot on ya and 3. fewer people to take portals later on.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Harminoff posted:

Focus on killing mobs and getting your level up. Once you hit level 5 you unlock your second perk slot which starts to make things easier. Once you're level 20 you'll have all 4 perk slots.

Edit: my first successful escape happened after like 6 hours of playing. Admittedly I'm bad at vidya games

I also fell behind my group because I bounced between classes to try them while they focused on just one.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Rogue is fun I love the smoke bomb

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Wizard and rogue are probably the hardest to start off solo with, just lack of health either having to charge up your spells while mobs or players are at a distance or get in really really close and hope you're hitting head and or neck all the time.

WYYYYZZZAAARRRDDD: Fireball is fun as gently caress, you can move and shoot it has some aoe fire/explosion damage.

Magic Missile is your other main way to kill from a distance, BUT you have to be standing still to have it shoot a bunch of ki balls which does suuuuuck when you're in a pinch aince that means you're gonna have to pray you started hitting them on the head before they get close enough to hit you.

Haste is fun especially to try and run away, I forget if the spell to buff your and your party's weapon is still there, Shock sucks rear end don't ever use it, Chain Lighting is awesome but can also hit you and your mates so unless you're some kind of solo chaos mage probably not a good idea to cast it unless you're looking into a room that has nothing but enemies trying to kill one another.

Lightning strike requires you to see the future for it to hit or you bait people to come around a corner cause it has a 4 second delay.

Find a crystal ball and a poo poo rondel dagger so you can actually do some damage instead of relying on your poo poo Gandarf staff.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Jiro posted:

Wizard and rogue are probably the hardest to start off solo with

Yes but also no, once you get the hang of the starter dagger and the mob attack timing it becomes trivial to headshot them and then back up before they can swing again. Rogues are probably tied with fighters for how easy it is to clear goblins solo.

In terms of starter Rogue skills, take the "10 steps when Hidden" perk immediately and your survivability will go up dramatically. Being able to hide and then take ten careful steps towards the nearest door is often the difference between life and death, and makes it easy to start getting the hang of the map and such without constantly dying.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

Jiro posted:

Wizard and rogue are probably the hardest to start off solo with, just lack of health either having to charge up your spells while mobs or players are at a distance or get in really really close and hope you're hitting head and or neck all the time.

WYYYYZZZAAARRRDDD: Fireball is fun as gently caress, you can move and shoot it has some aoe fire/explosion damage.

Magic Missile is your other main way to kill from a distance, BUT you have to be standing still to have it shoot a bunch of ki balls which does suuuuuck when you're in a pinch aince that means you're gonna have to pray you started hitting them on the head before they get close enough to hit you.

Haste is fun especially to try and run away, I forget if the spell to buff your and your party's weapon is still there, Shock sucks rear end don't ever use it, Chain Lighting is awesome but can also hit you and your mates so unless you're some kind of solo chaos mage probably not a good idea to cast it unless you're looking into a room that has nothing but enemies trying to kill one another.

Lightning strike requires you to see the future for it to hit or you bait people to come around a corner cause it has a 4 second delay.

Find a crystal ball and a poo poo rondel dagger so you can actually do some damage instead of relying on your poo poo Gandarf staff.

My only issue with this post is that when you say shock, I imagine Zap. Which gets 2x magic damage scaling and is hitscan. And also casts a billion times. 10/10 would recommend.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
chain lightning can chain off corpses, by the way, which can lead to some sneaky kills

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
This game is pretty fun. Rogue is pretty rough without any way to recover from my mistakes but it felt so good escaping from the goblin caves for the first time.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
You recover health as a rogue by killing a ranger for his starting campfire, hth

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Solo, playing ratrogue and memorizing where the locked/golden chests are (not hard because the coliseum map isn't in so there's less to memorize), playing ranger and kiting your way to the second floor solo for decent gear, playing fighter and doing the same as ranger since you can equip a bow, playing cleric and nuking mobs of undead. All good ways to play Haven't played enough barb to know what their deal is, but i've been giving solo wizard a run this patch and it really needs a couple of things to function: spellbook, since it casts spells from your hand and has the lowest -move speed penalty, perks so you can actually not die if something runs at you, and awareness of what the other classes are capable of

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
It can not be said enough how much the spell book increases cast speed, too. Like, it's insane.

This opinion comes from my personal experience on cleric, but holy hell it's almost double.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

What I'm hearing is - Quarterstaff slot1, Mace+Book slot2? Working my way up the cleric levels, and hoping they turn on the skilltree soon.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
book is a 2-hander

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
This game loving owns I have played it literally all day

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Triple Ranger is very dumb and very fun

Triple quickshot just erasing people

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

I didn't really like the quarterstaff on cleric, but what do I know. I'm terrible at this game.

Managed to make it out of goblin caverns thanks to a friendly croucher. Had another one where I was last alive but the portals were in the skeletal champion room. Had another one where I was one of two and the other guy decided I needed to die. So frustrating but I love this game!!!!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
skeletal champ water pool room is hosed because there's a lot of obstacles and like, at least 4 other potential enemy spawns besides the champ

fighting 1 champ by himself is fine but actually full clearing that room requires really slow play and usually just isn't practical so I usually just sneak through it if need be

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
mistakes were made

https://streamable.com/9akn01

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Trade chat is so chaotic, but it's fun to browse, and I'm usually swimming in money now that I can pretty consistently extract from goblin caves so I can afford to splurge on some nice gear here and there. I feel like you could make some decent money flipping weapons and gear from the people who are just trying to offload loot quickly, even with the 15 gold fee.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

Lol, oops.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
The gameplay loop is ok so far, but I wish it populated maps with people similar in level. It is not really that fun to come across a team of 3 people in advanced gear when I am a level 1 in the starting gear. I have played for a few hours and never even seen a portal. I can survive a decent amount of time when portals are spawning and do well in PvE, but eventually I will come across someone with much better gear or a team and get vaporized.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 12, 2023

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pain of Mind posted:

The gameplay loop is ok so far, but I wish it populated maps with people similar in level. It is not really that fun to come across a team of 3 people in advanced gear when I am a level 1 in the starting gear. I have played for a few hours and never even seen a portal. I can survive a decent amount of time when portals are spawning and do well in PvE, but eventually I will come across someone with much better gear or a team and get vaporized.

The game is extremely daunting when you're first starting out - I was bitching and moaning when some friends got me playing during the last playtest because everything seemed so impossible and now we effortlessly clear rooms. I don't think we successfully escaped for awhile. By the end of the playtest I was holding my own pretty well doing some solo runs when nobody was around to play.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

They've really nailed the feeling of being a murder hobo in this

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Groovelord Neato posted:

The game is extremely daunting when you're first starting out - I was bitching and moaning when some friends got me playing during the last playtest because everything seemed so impossible and now we effortlessly clear rooms. I don't think we successfully escaped for awhile. By the end of the playtest I was holding my own pretty well doing some solo runs when nobody was around to play.

Like everything else, complaining about it lead to immediate results, and final got an escape on the goblin one. I don't really like the goblin map that much compared to the other one, but the people there are much less aggressive. At the end I ended up stuck in a little alcove bubble that was not in the death zone stuff, but was able to make a run through it while being chased by a ton of skeletons and goblins and was able to open a portal before the AI caused some goblins to swing.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Pain of Mind posted:

Like everything else, complaining about it lead to immediate results, and final got an escape on the goblin one. I don't really like the goblin map that much compared to the other one, but the people there are much less aggressive. At the end I ended up stuck in a little alcove bubble that was not in the death zone stuff, but was able to make a run through it while being chased by a ton of skeletons and goblins and was able to open a portal before the AI caused some goblins to swing.

The major issue I have with the goblin tunnels is that the PvE is very in-your-face right from spawn and it makes it hard for some classes to clear enough space to be effective. Granted, that's probably the point and you need to have it densely populated with enemies for its size, it's just not as breathable.

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014

Harminoff posted:

This was my entire first day or so with the game. Keep dying, and eventually you will find you're not dying.
Only engage mobs you know you can fight without taking damage, avoid groups of players.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

There's still eventually supposed to be a floor 1 forest area that'll basically be useful mostly to help people gather basic stuff like bandages/pots eventually right?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

The Huge Manatee posted:

This was my entire first day or so with the game. Keep dying, and eventually you will find you're not dying.
Only engage mobs you know you can fight without taking damage, avoid groups of players.

It's also worth noting that 'making progress' can be deceptive. Better gear definitely helps and is a fun incentive to escape but I've seen good players kill geared opponents with starter items. It's better to adopt an easy come easy go thought process imho.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

SDF via Discord" posted:

@everyone, Thank you for enjoying Dark and Darker.
Due to the earlier downtime with the trading post, matchmaking, and lost playtime for players that were falsely banned, we have decided to extend the playtest until February 16th We also plan to use the time to address issues that are inconveniencing players and to continuously improve the game. Unfortunately, we will not be splitting the leaderboard into 2 splits like the previous playtest. Thank you for your understanding and we hope to see you in the dungeons for a few more days!

Extended the playtest by 3 days. I'm not complaining.

This game has definitely grabbed me in a way Tarkov couldn't. I'm loving the gameplay loop for this. Even if it's extremely frustrating at times.

My biggest complaint is the weird stutter that almost feels like you're lagging, or getting stuck on geometry.

The second is a twofer. I loathe the skeleton archers and thier magic arrows that bend around corners and the spiders that I can never freaking hit and are constantly bouncing me around. :mad:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I feel solo would be more fun at higher levels but Threes are where it's at right now for me.

Also remember when you post an lfg message in the Gathering Hall you have to wait 9,000 seconds until you can post another. Or just swap characters and it resets the timer.

"Archer lvl 6 lfg chill sesh mics" gets me 2-3 invites almost immediately everytime

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
with another 3 days to play this I am probably going to get all classes to 20 because I am dangerously addicted to this game

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Join the discord on the first page and hop in a voice channel and join a group. Playing with goons is fun, mostly.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

IronicDongz posted:

skeletal champ water pool room is hosed because there's a lot of obstacles and like, at least 4 other potential enemy spawns besides the champ

fighting 1 champ by himself is fine but actually full clearing that room requires really slow play and usually just isn't practical so I usually just sneak through it if need be

this is fine

I did clear it out(and the other champ spawn) but it absolutely was not worth the time, if anyone else got involved during this I would've stood no chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Solo is real hard but I've been having a good time as a cleric+fighter combo with my friend. I'm terrible at aiming but being able to heal him (and having an aoe anti-undead skill) after a combat has helped our survivability a lot and we're getting better at getting at least one of us extracted semi-regularly.

Game's fun, I wishlisted it, I'm glad they're extending the playtest.