Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Played this last night. It's kicking rad, even though I'm really bad and died a lot. Out of about 25 runs with 2 friends, one friend got out twice, I got out once. Cleric feels fine and good and cool.

The monsters feel like hp sponges, and the game (or me?) tricks you into thinking this is a dungeon crawler with chance of PvP, when in fact, spending too much time killing monsters expends too many resources to be super successful in PvP, ime.

I watched some folks get multiple bodies into a red portal, which was cool to watch. I'm wondering if blue portals can support multiple bodies, but we are all just bad at it.

The friend who tried wizard just ended up killing us as it was hard to aim spells and not hit your friends in PvE. Seems like it would be v. powerful in PvP.

A little frustrating, but it's alpha and I had a great time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

ShowTime posted:

What do you mean about portals and bodies? Each portal is for 1 person, but there are these triple portal spawns that let you get your team through. They appear in the shape of a triangle, with one portal facing each direction. Little tip for getting your crew out: when you find portals, pop them, just don't use them. You can get portals ready for your crew so they can just run into them and get out when needed. Maybe they continue to loot, fight, whatever, but they have a portal to escape through if things get sketchy. Just be aware there are rats and they sneak up and take a portal you popped if you let them.

I saw a two man crew take a single red portal and hypothesized that blue portals maybe had a window where you could fit multiple bodies through and we were just bad at timing, but I'd you know this isn't true, good to know, thanks for the Intel :)

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Harminoff posted:

How do you make any progress in this game just starting out? I love the idea behind it, but man I can't make any progress.

My gf and I played about 10 matches, and I don't think any lasted more than 5 minutes. Anytime we ran into other players, they would just install destroy us. We have just staring gear, but I guess they want our underwears?

Do we just start off with running from everything, shutting doors behind us, find loot and try and make an early exit?

Keep an eye on how many people died. Once more folks are kicking the buckets start playing more cautiously. If you end up being the last player standing, you just have to survive and find a portal. That first escape will feel really good.

Also, you get exp for killing stuff, you just get a ton more for escaping.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

I didn't really like the quarterstaff on cleric, but what do I know. I'm terrible at this game.

Managed to make it out of goblin caverns thanks to a friendly croucher. Had another one where I was last alive but the portals were in the skeletal champion room. Had another one where I was one of two and the other guy decided I needed to die. So frustrating but I love this game!!!!

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Crewed with a couple last night. We started going down to Hell with the rule that if we found a red portal without having engaged in PvP / super full inventories, we would go. We went down 3 times and managed to escape 3 times.

Bringing extra camp fires is super helpful. You sit in the room until the end of the match, so there's extra time then to camp and restore spells, etc.

We managed to find a skull key. Anyone familiar with this one? Everything on the internet was from last playtest, so not sure if it's still relevant.

We also got severely dunked on by a wizard, and that was refreshing.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

I think I've read about some people getting v. high %physical damage reduction (>80%? >90%). That will feel like shot for shot they're coming out far ahead, but that's probably a tell that you should use different tactics, like magic damage or oil lanterns or molotovs or not engaging.

I don't know that the counterplay is quite where it needs to be, as in the above scenario, if you don't have a wizard, and you don't have lanterns or molotovs, your only choice is to disengage (which is a viable choice).

E: for embiggened damage barbarian, that would suggest kiting is the right move, but if you don't have ranged DPS, bind/cleric snare, frostbolt, etc, your options are limited. I think adding more tactical responses that are independent of class build (oil bottles, lightning in a bottle, etc) (or dependent!) would be neat.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Valentin posted:

curious what people make of interaction speed as a mechanic. I (mostly playing ranger/cleric) have found it lightly annoying but mostly balanced, my friend (who only plays wizard) complains it makes soloing as wizard basically impossible

also what does magic interaction speed even do?

It definitely makes certain classes better at doing certain types of things. I don't loot chests on my cleric, it takes too long, only bodies, and I let our ranger do the chest looting. E: I also don't open doors.

My guess is that magic interaction is altar of sacrifice (other altars?), but it may be broken because ~playtest~.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

My crew rolled bar/cle/cle and bar/cle/wiz last night and it was hilarious and fun and cool. Posters who said horseman's axe was ridiculous, thank you.

We've been playing pretty exclusively as a 3 man, and we mostly die when going up against more geared / more meta 3-man comps, pro wizards, when folks get the drop on us and when we get third partied. We are geared, but certainly not purples or oranges, and not even a ton of blues.

It also looks like repair is planned, but not yet implemented.

E:

Herstory Begins Now posted:

With how potion heals work (and notably that you can stack different tiers of potions, so carry both grey and white) getting health back isn't that hard actually.

Do you know if protection potions stack? What about protection potions with cleric shield?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

Man I suck at this game. Level 15 fighter running mostly solo in Goblin caves and still getting my rear end poisoned and beaten by angry Goblins, mummies, flying skulls and every so often another Player who's way more decked out than me because I haven't escaped a dungeon more than once.

Then when I did manage an escape it was because a kind player helped me and then I didn't stash any of my loot so I lost it all immediately in the next game. lol

Maybe this kind of game isn't for me.

In your defense friend, goblins caves is rightfully harder than it should be. There's often not a lot of room to work, a lot of starts hit you with two mobs immediately, and goblin poison is really brutal for anyone with a default kit (except cleric).

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

after reading through this thread and watching videos i really want to play this game.

Is it worse to never have played at all, or to have done a playtest and be jonesing for your next fix for the next 2 months...?

It is better to have never played at all, than to have played and lost.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Yeah, for sure. This game hit me at the right time and literally I don’t want to play anything else. It all rings so hollow.

I tried escape from rust and tarkov and I hate them both. I've been doing Raft / Green Hell Ironman mode (no loading, no saving except to quit), but it isn't getting me there

It's shocking, I haven't felt this kind of void in happiness wrt video games in so long, like a decade or more.

E: the last time I felt like this was 2008 when the first D3 trailers were released and I got super hyped and then realized I had 2 more years to go.

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 26, 2023

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Most of the assets used are from a commercially available Unreal asset pack, which both P3 and DaD used. There is maybe some claim for IP infringement, but it seems like there's a lot of cover for asset usage. Then again, who knows what is the truth

quote:

I want to address certain rumors that have started to circulate and reassure Dark and Darker fans that ABSOLUTELY NO stolen assets or code were used to make our game.

Our code was built from scratch. Most of our assets are purchased from the Unreal marketplace. All other assets and all game designs docs were created inhouse. This has already been audited by an outside agency. As far as we know you cannot copyright a game genre.

Regarding the lawsuit, we consider it a separate personal matter claimed on one of our team members. No lawsuit has been filed against Ironmace. Regardless, we believe in our teammate and we look forward to the resolution of their personal matter.

Building games is hard enough without all the rumors and distractions in our industry. This is why we chose to handle matters privately, in respect to our peers in our industry. We’ve reached out through our back channels and do not believe the recent rumors were intentional and believe they are likely due to a disgruntled 3rd party. For now this will be our final statement on this matter. We are ready to defend if necessary but we prefer to focus our energy on bettering our craft. We have a lot of work ahead of us for the next playtest and we’ll let our work do the talking.

Finally, we would like to thank all our fans for their kind support. You are the sole motivation to build bigger and better. As always our aim is to stay directly and openly engaged with you. Thank you for your support and we hope to see you in the dungeons soon!

e: I had also read in some places that the IronMace devs worked at Nexon; there were a number of different projects (P3, P11 (?)) that were being worked on, with P3 being a medieval fantasy dungeon crawler pvp battle royale thing. P3 got cut, and was going to be redesigned to be a modern shooter. As a result, a number of the devs wanted to continue working on P3 as it was, left and formed IronMace.

There's probably a grain of truth to Nexon's claims, and probably a healthy dose of bitter grapes over the pre-emptive success of DaD. I'm hopeful though.

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 8, 2023

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

The dream is dead.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

ShowTime posted:

I guess the hope is, and maybe a "lawyer" can come in and offer some insight: Ironmace does some kind of injunction that says, "no, we didn't" or "no, we aren't, let us continue". A court says, "can you prove it" and everyone says "heres our proof!" and NEXON can't, IRONMACE can't, but in the medium the game goes on, IRONMACE publishes in EA, makes money and settles with NEXON. Ironmace can't prove poo poo, NEXON can't prove poo poo, but IRONMACE makes enough money to settle with NEXON to make everyone happy, but the players. IRONMACE needs money, they increase their release price, add skins and whatever, everyone suffers but NEXON, because they got money.

Gotta be honest, the capitalization on IRONMACE and NEXON is bugging me out, but this is my hope to. IRONMACE settles with NEXON for a percentage of profits / royalties for some finite amount of time and the injunction gets lifted.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

New copium dropped :siren:

E: The ChatGpt part is pretty cringe imo

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 26, 2023

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yikes!!!!!

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

DisgracelandUSA posted:

The dream is dead.

E: :wtc:

quote:

Hello @everyone!

This morning an announcement was posted regarding a GoFundMe link to support Ironmace.
The GoFundMe link is legitimate, however it was to be used later if necessary.
It was posted this morning without approval due to a passionate member of the team taking matters into his own hands.
We have currently paused the campaign for now as it was prematurely announced.
We appreciate the enormous amount of support shown in such a little amount of time!
We are very sorry for the confusion and will take the proper steps to resolve this within the next few hours.
We will make another announcement  on how the GoFundMe will be handled.
Thank you all very much!

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

mcvey posted:

Tears streaming VODing my face

Ftfy

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

I played. I had fun. My non-goon internet friend didn't want to form a cohesive group, so we rolled CLE, BRD WIZ for a few hours. Bard is good cookie dough, but needs more time to bake.

Did some goblin caves and exited 3/6 times as a CLE. Good times. I got really bad this game and it feels like the mobs do a poo poo ton more damage.

Looking forward to getting my identity stolen from :filez:. :mrwhite:

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Servers seem hosed tonight. Not sure if they're getting ddos'd or if something poo poo the bed. Supposedly there's also a memory leak in the client. Playtest 5 is a lot less polished than playtest 4.

Yet I crave more.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Had some good runs last night in Howling Ruins once we finally started running a front liner with CLE, BRD, BAR. Bard is clearly not finished but it's good. Charm song allows you to dive deep into rooms with lots of monsters to secure kills. Had a lot of great 5-8 kill rounds.

Ended the night with some goblin caves. 3 minutes left only two people had died. I figured out why: all these loving cowards are just ducking each other. So I took it upon me, Healertooth, to deliver the holy message of violence by taking two 2v1s and a 1v1 before getting out :black101:

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

ShowTime posted:

Yea, I agree. What they could do is make the rest mechanic dependent on a stat that benefits the wizard (and warlock) most of all, but then gradually gets worse and worse for other stats. We don't really want a fighter or rogue getting their 1-2/run abilities back constantly, but we do want a class that relies on spells to do combat to get them back relatively painlessly.

People are starting to talk about cantrips for wizards (really, all casters) and that might be a solution. But they have to be careful with infinite use spells and that's why it hasn't been done yet. If they did something like a constantly regenning cantrip, that could work. It has a max of 3 uses and regens 1 charge every 60 seconds or whatever (those numbers would have to be tweaked).

Imo, resource management is one of the nice tensions in the game. With resting does spell Regen, a cleric can basically always be full health / full buffs for any engagement in goblin minds. I think people sort of under-estimate the opportunity cost of resting and how dangerous it is, but I think it lowers the importance of resource utilization.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

BaconCopter posted:

There are definitely more reds spawning and the weapon variants are all so nasty when they're red. I even ran into a black skele in regular, not high roller, queue.

Black skele aced my entire party when we failed to notice that I was black.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

DaD addicts, Starsiege Deadzone is free to play this week. It's basically DaD but shootmans based on Starsiege games but with some interesting tweaks. Tried it last night, mostly got clowned on but managed to escape once and kill 2 people.

I would give it a try if you like DaD and shootmans.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Had a fun time getting a ranger to 7 last night in a 3-man, cleric to 7 solo in goblin caves. Micah Vista killshots never get old.

Hot tip: if it's late at night and you keep getting dumpstered by fighter, fighter, * comps, switch servers to someplace earlier or later in the day. The sweatlords are out in full force in the wee hours.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Still like the game, but as gear saturation grows, I'm getting a little frustrated with the inconsistent outcomes. It seems half the time my crew is victorious or gets outplayed, and the other half the time we run into a turbo geared party that our grey/white scavenged kits never stood a chance against.

I find goblin caves a lot more satisfying, mostly because I'm seeing most people in poverty kits and I feel a lot better about dying, killing vs. getting out.

I'm not asking for ELO, but maybe gear cap limits would make me feel better. Or maybe if I just got gud.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Ruggan posted:

My favorite parts of the game are what you described: GC runs where everyone has poverty loadouts, and group crypt runs where you only run into reasonably geared teams. Running into a meta comp of people wearing all blues+ is just not a good time unless you’re equally geared. Preserving the magic feeling is going to be a challenge. Hope they figure it out though.

Yeah, this is about it, with good analysis above.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Demon Of The Fall posted:

they have upped the drops for regular crypts and I think they are still elevated for ruins currently as well. seems like it doesn't matter, I rarely find gear upgrades and agree that even if you do, rarely have time to loot or escape with it. some kind of gear score system would be a good idea because I don't think having teams running regular dungeons in full purples is gonna make this game last with a high player base

I want to like ruins, but it's very thunderdome style, with only 3x1, 3x1 and 1x3 portals spawning inside the last three circles. My crew tried it skirting around the edges to buy time until portals were spawning and that didn't really work for us. And all the fun videos you see of people making friends with people around them? That never happened.

Map is fun tho, interesting switch from ruins.

BHB posted:

e: that said, the gear treadmill is part of these games so eventually there's not going to be much you can do to stop basic lobbies from being mostly green+

I don't mind getting outskilled by similarly geared folks. The sadness comes when crew thought we played well but lost, and we check the other crews gear and it's dripping blue/purple/orange.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

ShowTime posted:

Anyone have any idea how many copies sold? It's hard to tell without steamcharts. But with the case getting dismissed, I imagine things are looking really good for Ironmace. It's hard to judge just off viewership numbers, but do you think they sold a million copies? If so, that's what, 35-50 million, before all taxes, fees, server fees, etc. It's gotta be enough for them to start hiring more and more developers to really push the game forward, right?

I doubt they sold 1 million.

I'm hoping the balancing of DR helps some, as that was basically one of my main gripes.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

sushibandit posted:

Not sure about the bolas, but the archers at least aim for headshots so if you're too slow to strafe them you can try a hailmary crouch+looking straight up to lean back. Has worked once or twice, I just always make sure to fight them at corners instead.

If you're a sexy shield user, it's not too difficult to block bolas or arrows from NPCs.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

I've been playing fighter with some non-goons and had a crazy match. Managed to win a 2v1 vs rogue + barb after my barb teammate got ganked and our rogue was busy mining, resulting in a full inventory of cash loot.

Couldn't find a portal and was getting crushed but managed to snake a red portal from a 2-man with basically no healing. Managed to spawn inside the circle in the spider room and somehow cleared it and snagged a blue portal out.

300g of loot plus my barb friends gear and got level 15 with that run, while my rogue friend got 9 red or and 6 blue plus a full inventory of cash loot.

Feels good :coolfish:

e: it looks like the Discord link is invalid, anyone got a new one or update the op?

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 7, 2023

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

I think the snowball effect of gearing up and looting and the imbalance in skill, gear etc, wrt play time, is the hardest problem to solve for this game. I don't know much about tarkov, but played a fair amount of rust. The most fun time in Rust is the first week of wipe, and I think the most fun time in DaD is probably similar.

I don't see how they'll be able to keep the charm without doing very quick wipes (1-2 weeks?), which probably feels bad for good players and ultimately feels worse for players with limited playtime.

Eve Online, and every other game with Real Loss(TM) had similar problems, but with easier experiences because of the sandbox nature.

I also don't know how they'll get better character progression, customization, that doesn't lead to higher level > lower level, unless perks, etc are all trade-off based.

Game is still good, but I've had to take a 2 week break for vacationing. Looking forward to next wipe.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Round shield sucks at blocking arrows, but heater shield is the tits. At some point they'll have to reload and you can gap-close awfully quick with sprint.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

Shoot them with a crossbow. Chase then with your weapons out away, maybe even remove some armor during the chase and use the rush/sprint skill. Punch them to death.

I punched a ranger to death today and it felt good.

E: i started carrying longbow/crossbow in fighter in my base kits.

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 24, 2023

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Dev posted "The gear gap test is over" in discord and I really hope that doesn't mean they're reverting the changes because the gear flattening and merchant changes are the best thing they've done to the game since I started playing.

I would assume the opposite, as the gap is small now.

I had a great time ratting crypts solo on the ranger last night. Managed to escape 7 out of 9 runs, even got a couple kills. 3-mans didn't fair so well, though we did wipe five one round and got 2 out of 3 extracted. Idk what it is, but it seems my group gets worse when we play together.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

TW: r*ddit posting

That group resoundingly thinks gear compression happened so they could figure out if the complaints were a result of gear gap or if gear gap was a mask for skill deficiency. And it seems like skill deficiency is largely to blame.

That being said, I don't mind vendor loot being so available, and I'd be okay with it being capped at blue (or even green if we kept the same volume).

I hope they don't backfill existing items because I might've stockpiled a bunch a pairs of occultist boots.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

I'm convinced that they don't really know what to do/knobs to turn, don't have a vision for the game to inform what knobs to turn, and don't have the resources to be iterating this fast on knob turning. most of this feels like various degrees of capitulation to their fanbase.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Well rolled blues are gonna sky rocket.

I feel like the ranger nerfs didn't go far enough.

$1 says they check the gear you're wearing but not the gear in your inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Tempora Mutantur posted:

you lose a dollar then!

cause you can't go into normal with a coin purse now, since purses are now legendary, and you get the warning for having greater-than-blue if you have one lol

Apparently this also creates a soft lock situation where if your stash is filled with coin purses and you have 1 in your inventory, but not enough money to trade or enter high roller, you're effectively unable to do anything with the character. Because you can't sell purses.