Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
My brother and I have been playing as a rogue duo and it is absolutely hilarious. One of us will hide and the other will bait the players out. A lot of people see a single rogue and bum rush in just to be met with death by a thousand cuts.

I've only managed to get out once, but I'm having a ton of fun so far after initially bouncing off the first few runs.

We also managed a squad wipe on a wizard, barb, and fighter. I separated the wizard from the other two with a door, dispatched him and moved on to kill off the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Graysun — Today at 1:37 PM
@everyone, Alpha #4 Playtest Hotfix - #4

We have fixed some issues and are applying some experimental changes.
The hotfix update #4 will start at February 10, 2023 1:45 PM and will take about an hour and a half to complete.
When the update commences you will not be able to enter the matchmaking pool.
Players already in a dungeon at this time will be able to complete that adventure.

#Changes
- Fixed an issue where Victory Strike could not function properly.
- Second Wind’s skill level 7 -> 6
- Adrenaline Rush's skill level 3 -> 6
- Meditation takes less time and spells charge slightly more than before.
- Increased campfire duration for all grades.
- Pavise installation conditions have been slightly changed.
- Adjusted spawn data for goblin caves.
- The number of people entering the Goblin Cave has changed.
- The number of people entering the Forgotten Castle has been changed.
- Fixed an issue that caused the Ghost King to stop moving under certain conditions.
- Gathering Hall now have a minimum required level.
- Improved minor performance issues.
- Fixed some translation errors. Thanks for playing Dark and Darker.

Thank you for enjoying Dark and Darker!

Aw, I was just sitting down to do a couple runs. :(

Oh well, it's really cool that the developers are as quick as they are with the fixes.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Bashing down the door as a player is freaking out and trying to get away from you has absolutely sold me on being a barbarian.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Harminoff posted:

How do you make any progress in this game just starting out? I love the idea behind it, but man I can't make any progress.

My gf and I played about 10 matches, and I don't think any lasted more than 5 minutes. Anytime we ran into other players, they would just install destroy us. We have just staring gear, but I guess they want our underwears?

Do we just start off with running from everything, shutting doors behind us, find loot and try and make an early exit?

Focus on killing mobs and getting your level up. Once you hit level 5 you unlock your second perk slot which starts to make things easier. Once you're level 20 you'll have all 4 perk slots.

Edit: my first successful escape happened after like 6 hours of playing. Admittedly I'm bad at vidya games

I also fell behind my group because I bounced between classes to try them while they focused on just one.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

SDF via Discord" posted:

@everyone, Thank you for enjoying Dark and Darker.
Due to the earlier downtime with the trading post, matchmaking, and lost playtime for players that were falsely banned, we have decided to extend the playtest until February 16th We also plan to use the time to address issues that are inconveniencing players and to continuously improve the game. Unfortunately, we will not be splitting the leaderboard into 2 splits like the previous playtest. Thank you for your understanding and we hope to see you in the dungeons for a few more days!

Extended the playtest by 3 days. I'm not complaining.

This game has definitely grabbed me in a way Tarkov couldn't. I'm loving the gameplay loop for this. Even if it's extremely frustrating at times.

My biggest complaint is the weird stutter that almost feels like you're lagging, or getting stuck on geometry.

The second is a twofer. I loathe the skeleton archers and thier magic arrows that bend around corners and the spiders that I can never freaking hit and are constantly bouncing me around. :mad:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Colin Mockery posted:

Solo is real hard but I've been having a good time as a cleric+fighter combo with my friend. I'm terrible at aiming but being able to heal him (and having an aoe anti-undead skill) after a combat has helped our survivability a lot and we're getting better at getting at least one of us extracted semi-regularly.

Game's fun, I wishlisted it, I'm glad they're extending the playtest.

Boy I'm right with you there, I can't aim spells to save my life.

The more I play Cleric the more it's becoming my 2nd favorite class. Barbarian is going to hold that honor for awhile. I get giddy every time I bash through a door.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Groovelord Neato posted:

I only play barb and you can pretty much two tap someone's head so the "counter play" is to pick your swings wisely. Depending on the perks you've taken you can usually turn it around even if they get the first hit on you - I bet most fights against fighters they get the first tap on me and I still come out on top way more often than I don't.

You could also try dual wielding which I think might be the superior playstyle due to not being as punishing for misses and blocks and I think being able to put out more DPS (since axe perk applies to both) but I'm still not used to it like I am with the felling axe so I haven't been able to use it to its full potential.

The hatchet is deceptively strong. Even picking up a gray one can help. It has a really nice overhead that catches people off guard.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Dunno about y'all, but them airing out the laundry on discord is not a good look in my opinion. It kinda gives off a guilty "let me get it out before you do so they believe me" kinda vibe.

Not saying they are or aren't, because I have the faintest clue about all of this.

I just want to go back to smashing heads in with axes. :sigh:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Franks Happy Place posted:

Friend, I promise you, even a "medium-small" game studio (ie a multimillion dollar company with dozens of employees at a minimum), who has been raided by police and then had a DMCA claim filed on them, has run their public statement(s) past a lawyer or two first.

IANAL to be clear, but my job involves a ton of legal analysis and working with lawyers in very tense public policy contexts, and IMO that statement is a perfect use of publicly available info and the kind of poo poo you'd put into your PR releases in response to a suit anyways, except theirs also has specific publicly available citations that make the plaintiff look dumb as poo poo in the court of public opinion.

It's just "the plaintiff's claims are false and we look forward to proving so in court" except they also cited evidence of the first part to put the social heat on Nexon. Considering one of their downside scenarios is that they eventually win in court but lose the race to release the game while the sizzle is still hot, putting a little non-court-based pressure on Nexon is probably pretty smart.

So unless Korean courts have really weird muzzle rules or something I'm not aware of, that statement is as close to perfect as I would expect in the circumstances.

That's good to hear. Like I said, I don't know jack or poo poo about court proceedings and poo poo regarding DMCA claims and what have you.

I still think the chatgpt part was absolutely unnecessary lol

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Akumos posted:

Announcement happened and just ending up being them saying EA is delayed and to wait a little longer. I guess they're gonna wait out the lawsuit like most people assumed yeah. Maybe a playtest before then?

Here's the post if anyone wanted to read it in full.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I just picked this back up after the last steam playtest. I hope all the legal issues fall to the wayside and it gets relisted soon. My friends and brothers are waiting for that so I currently am playing solo barb.

I'll happily repurchase it on steam as well. I got more than $60 out of the playtests alone.

Draven fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 18, 2023

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm generally a person who doesn't know a PC even exists until it hits Steam (I legit didn't know Darkest Dungeon 2 was in EA for about year since it was on EGS) but if you put a ton of time into the playtests waiting until this gets on Steam is so bizarre to me.

sushibandit's friends played WAY more than I did during the last playtest (I maybe got four-five hours in) and I bought it immediately.

My younger brother at least mentioned that he didn't want to buy the game just for it to be taken down completely due to losing the lawsuit. Everyone else just doesn't want to use anything other than steam. :shrug:

I'm having fun with it solo, but it was definitely more fun with others. I just need to get used to how it plays again. I've been away too long.

I did get a successful extraction out of the 5 rounds I've played.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
My Steam account is 2 weeks younger than the oldest one I found out. Makes me feel ancient. :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Demon Of The Fall posted:

are you on the discord? we have people playing most evenings US time, come join us while waiting for your buds.

I am not but I'll hop into it. Haven't played with goons in ages.

Edit: is there a current invite link to the discord? OP link expired.

Draven fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 18, 2023