Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nihonniboku posted:

Apparently, everybody but Vince turned their backs on her after the season ended. They didn't like how the show portrayed Dan, and they insisted on reading a prepared statement in support of him at the reunion, which CBS obviously shut down, which is a big part of the reason why the reunion was pre-recorded, to prevent any shenanigans from the cast. All of the cast still hangs out together, including Dan, with the exception of Kellee and Vince.

It's very weird and it feels like either there's Something Missing we won't find out til after NDAs expire, or the whole cast is just terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

If Probst doesn’t bring back Angelina and Christian back then he’s a fool.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's very weird and it feels like either there's Something Missing we won't find out til after NDAs expire, or the whole cast is just terrible.

To slice it a little more thinly, SOME people on the cast were pushing the statement, and Vince was the one pushing back hard against it (I'm willing to bet the producers wouldn't have let it happen anyway). It's disappointing that otherwise-decent people like Jamal didn't do more to quash it, but he may have been aware of my parenthetical. Didn't stop him from being photographed with a bunch of other people from the season out partying with Dan afterwards.

I actually know Kellee a little bit IRL through my wife, but not nearly well enough to ever ask her about a subject which is clearly painful and private.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

nexous posted:

Final 4 should all go to fire making. Decide 1st, 2nd,3rd, and “what show am I on again” places that way. Possibly a hunger games initial race to the fire making tools.

I was thinking something like this myself.

Turn the final immunity challenge into a final advantage challenge. Winner gets an advantage in fire making, then all four contestants go make fire. Say, your string is two inches lower.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Nihonniboku posted:

- Nobody from Island of the Idols if they try and disavow the season altogether for the entire cast turning on Kellee after the show aired. Or only Kellee if they want to give her another shot. Or Kellee, Karishma, Elaine, Janet, Lauren, Noura, and Dean (the cast is more memorable than I realized) if they decide to ignore everything that happened.

Can anybody give more clarifying information? I remember watching that show and thinking Dan was a loving creep from it but the fact that everyone stood up for him makes me feel a big ol WTF?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wasn’t Dan some kind of Hollywood producer or something? That could be a very simple answer for a bunch of people who want to be stars (and probably at least a few statistically with just generally terrible morals and opinions of women).

I don’t follow Survivor outside the show but I’ve seen that very common trend with Big Brother. The alumni tend to rally around the majority and the ones with some influence or momentum in the business and ostracize anyone who rocks the boat. Controversies and morals be damned.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
As far as I know, nobody in the cast has actually spoken about why they support Dan, so anything I could speculate on would be pure conjecture. Probably the same kind of reasons why historically people have defended abusers and shamed the abused for speaking out.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I'm completely and purely speculating but I suspect that they all have a LOT of resentment about the fact that their season is easily considered the worst of all time and they're all basically ostracized from Survivor.

When examining that, I think it's a lot easier for them to say "Kellee really blew things out of proportion it wasn't that bad" instead of "Wow, my reprehensible behavior on-island is a major part of why this happened."

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Aerox posted:

I'm completely and purely speculating but I suspect that they all have a LOT of resentment about the fact that their season is easily considered the worst of all time and they're all basically ostracized from Survivor.

When examining that, I think it's a lot easier for them to say "Kellee really blew things out of proportion it wasn't that bad" instead of "Wow, my reprehensible behavior on-island is a major part of why this happened."

Probably

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah that’s definitely probably a big part of it. As I recall it wasn’t simply that Dan was a creep. It was that Kellie said he was creeping her out and they all dismissed her. So there’s a lot of blame to go around and human beings loving hate taking responsibility and saying they’re sorry. Even when they say it they expect that to be it and get mad if there’s something more instead of perfect forgiveness.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah that’s definitely probably a big part of it. As I recall it wasn’t simply that Dan was a creep. It was that Kellie said he was creeping her out and they all dismissed her. So there’s a lot of blame to go around and human beings loving hate taking responsibility and saying they’re sorry. Even when they say it they expect that to be it and get mad if there’s something more instead of perfect forgiveness.

Yeah and wasn't there a whole controversy over one of the players siding with Kellee in-game but then using that to turn votes on her?

Either way, it's probably a mix of everything, but just another reason to keep that season in the garbage where it belongs.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

sleep with the vicious posted:

Yeah and wasn't there a whole controversy over one of the players siding with Kellee in-game but then using that to turn votes on her?

Either way, it's probably a mix of everything, but just another reason to keep that season in the garbage where it belongs.

Yes, two of the women pretended to be grossed out by Dan to use it to their advantage in the game.

Also, not to absolve the other cast members, but Dan is a talent agent and was exhibiting grooming behavior so it’s extremely likely he’s tried to ingratiate himself to the rest of the cast through his industry connections so that their closeness to him makes people think Kellee was blowing it out of proportion.

It’s really easy to just write the cast off as lovely people but I think it vastly undersells the level of manipulation someone like Dan is capable of.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

sportsgenius86 posted:

It’s really easy to just write the cast off as lovely people but I think it vastly undersells the level of manipulation someone like Dan is capable of.

big why not both

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Just finished s44 tonight as part of a big group watch along ☺️ it went swell so much fun! Survivor really works as a party watch I had no idea! All these years it was just me red eyes staring at a watch series stream at 3am, or some poor girlfriend roped into watching along apologies to them all. But yeah pals in a room riffing and laughing its brilliant! What a cool cast we had for 44! Just relatively seemingly chill and good folk, for the most part.

Oh and that season you are all talking about with Dan? :( Literally stopped watching half way through and only really reengaged with the show this season. I know I'm not the only long time fan who stopped watching then, very sad and the production lost a lot of good will. Anyway, on to 45 soon haha!

Also, just thinking about survivor Australia brain v. Brawn then heroes v. Villains as a two pack combo watch so so so 👍😊

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lampsacus posted:

Just finished s44 tonight as part of a big group watch along ☺️ it went swell so much fun! Survivor really works as a party watch I had no idea! All these years it was just me red eyes staring at a watch series stream at 3am, or some poor girlfriend roped into watching along apologies to them all. But yeah pals in a room riffing and laughing its brilliant! What a cool cast we had for 44! Just relatively seemingly chill and good folk, for the most part.

Oh and that season you are all talking about with Dan? :( Literally stopped watching half way through and only really reengaged with the show this season. I know I'm not the only long time fan who stopped watching then, very sad and the production lost a lot of good will. Anyway, on to 45 soon haha!

Also, just thinking about survivor Australia brain v. Brawn then heroes v. Villains as a two pack combo watch so so so 👍😊

You should watch season 40 when you get the chance

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Lampsacus posted:

The new seasons have been a mixed bag. On the plus side, production has listened to a lot of the criticism, and taken it into account, especially after the BLM protests. CBS now has a mandate for all reality shows that at least 50% of the cast to be people of color, and they have also been casting more LGBT casting. Both groups, typically you would get one token cast member, and that was it. It has changed dynamics on the show considerably, and they have been able to openly have conversations that in the past people would have been too scared to bring up, or actually get kicked off the show for bringing them up like Kellee. And now, 3 of the last 4 winners have been people of color, including the first gay winner in 30 seasons.

On the negative, the shortened season affects the game negatively, people don't have time to relax, and everybody is all strategy all the time, so you rarely get any purely fun moments. Also, they seem to have really focused on sharing heartwarming stories of the cast's past, and how they got over personal tragedies. It's kind of tedious.

And this was already a trend before season 40, but the show has started giving purple Kelly edits to basically most of the cast outside a handful of standouts in the cast. The fact that in 44, Lauren made it to the final 5, was supposedly a big threat, had a ton of friends on the jury, and had close relationships with the final 4, but she barely got any screentime at all for the entire season is crazy to me.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Nihonniboku posted:

CBS now has a mandate for all reality shows that at least 50% of the cast to be people of color, and they have also been casting more LGBT casting.

I believe it's 50%+ combined POC/LGBT isn't it?

It's a great policy but I think you may have overstated it (or I'm just wrong, if so someone please correct me)

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

maybealabia posted:

I believe it's 50%+ combined POC/LGBT isn't it?

It's a great policy but I think you may have overstated it (or I'm just wrong, if so someone please correct me)

Yes, it's this, and has been positive for casting imo.

Also I guess I haven't posted since finale. Very satisfying deserving winner and I hate that my girl Carolyn didn't get any votes. She was drawing dead against Yam Yam always though. The more visible player of a pair (or at least the most competent appearing player) will always receive 100% of the accolades. Mom curse strikes again ala Dawn Meehan.

Already rooting for the villain guy in 45 preview though. Bring the chaos.

Also, what is S39? The seasons went from 38 to 40. Please stop making up things that didn't happen.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Give the seasons a title again, is that too much to ask? Don't think you even have to theme it further than one logo, just think of any theme or subtitle and pretend it's there for us.

LA versus USA, Long Hair versus Short Hair, Americans in Fiji, former braces versus organic mouths, Shirts & Skins, or [Brains, Brawn, Beauty] or any other three characteristics can basically be applied to any casting group with how loosely they ever fit the groups.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Survivor: PISS VS poo poo

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Studio posted:

Survivor: PISS VS poo poo

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Mactors vs Gamebots

Yeah a gamebot's probably gonna win, but you still get to watch a bunch of people who think they're the next Rob or Kim voted out by 23-year-old dudes named JP.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
i am all in on mactors vs gamebots, gently caress it

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Spokes posted:

i am all in on mactors vs gamebots, gently caress it

It would actually be quite interesting. Especially if idol/twist free. Dream season

Edit: would be very much like last Australian season. And that was great

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Season where everyone thinks they were different kind of Milf Temptation Love Bachelor Island type reality show, right up until Jeff shows up on the outside of his chopper.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Survivor: Debbie vs Debbie

Best part is that you only need to cast one person.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Survivor: Matts

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
So, /r/survivor did a poll ranking their favorite winners. I disagree with a lot of them.

So I threw all the winners into a preference revealer, and here is my list. Some of them I was pretty torn on. I'm surprised at my top winner.

Richard Hatch
Parvati Shallow
Todd Herzog
Sandra Diaz-Twine Heroes vs. Villains
Yam Yam Arocho
Sandra Diaz-Twine Pearl Islands
Sophie Clarke
Adam Klein
Ethan Zohn
Tony Vlachos Cagayan
Yul Kwon
Denise Stapley
Natalie Anderson
Jeremy Collins
J.T. Thomas
Tina Wesson
Tom Westman
Tony Vlachos Winners at War
Sarah Lacina
Wendell Holland
Tyson Apostol
Kim Spradlin
Jenna Morasca
John Cochran
Chris Daugherty
Earl Cole
Aras Baskauskas
Michele Fitzgerald
Vecepia Towery
Brian Heidik
Tommy Sheehan
Nick Wilson
Rob Mariano
Maryanne Oketch
Danni Boatwright
Mike Holloway
Amber Brkich
Bob Crowley
Chris Underwood
Erika Casupanan
Mike Gabler
Ben Driebergen
Natalie White
Fabio Birza

Try it yourself

Preference revealer

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Reddit list is whack lmao tony, blegh. and very Reddit of them to have the bottom half contain most of the women.

I tried doing the comparator thing but it didn't feel fair since I couldn't really remember them or their season enough off the top to make a sensible ranking. But your list is immediately better at first glance. kinda wanna watch some of those first seasons again but if you give a mouse a cookie...

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Khanstant posted:

Reddit list is whack lmao tony, blegh. and very Reddit of them to have the bottom half contain most of the women.

I tried doing the comparator thing but it didn't feel fair since I couldn't really remember them or their season enough off the top to make a sensible ranking. But your list is immediately better at first glance. kinda wanna watch some of those first seasons again but if you give a mouse a cookie...

Thanks, I don't even know if I really agree with my own list, but it's def better than reddit's list.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I liked Bob.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

njsykora posted:

I liked Bob.

He was definitely one of the more likable finalists, a lot of the cast didn't like Susie or Sugar. Sugar and Bob apparently got very good edits. Apparently Sugar made everybody miserable, crying everyday, and Bob was apparently quite gropey with the ladies at night.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

Chris Underwood
Erika Casupanan
Mike Gabler
Ben Driebergen
Natalie White
Fabio Birza

come on

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Brian Heidik above like 40% of the others is certainly a choice lol

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I think my list falls apart at the top because it's too hard to variously handicap for things like 'how many times did they play' and 'how tough was the competition', but here's my BOTTOM 10.

Aras Baskauskas
Bob Crowley
Chris Underwood
Ethan Zohn
Ben Driebergen
Jenna Morasca
Mike Gabler
Adam Klein
Tommy Sheehan
Fabio Birza

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Chris played a great game given the rules he was given. Edge of Extinction is a terrible twist, but he pulled off that win.

Erika and Gabler are both seemingly nice people, just I liked other people's wins better.

I never like Ben or his win. I always felt like production was pulling strings for him, planting idols conveniently where they knew he would find them.

Natalie won because everybody hated Russel. I know there are arguments that she played a good social game, but her win is pretty invisible.

Nicaragua is one of the worst seasons, and Fabio simply fell backwards into winning, probably because it was a bitter jury who was angry at Sash.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

Chris played a great game given the rules he was given. Edge of Extinction is a terrible twist, but he pulled off that win.

Erika and Gabler are both seemingly nice people, just I liked other people's wins better.

I never like Ben or his win. I always felt like production was pulling strings for him, planting idols conveniently where they knew he would find them.

Natalie won because everybody hated Russel. I know there are arguments that she played a good social game, but her win is pretty invisible.

Nicaragua is one of the worst seasons, and Fabio simply fell backwards into winning, probably because it was a bitter jury who was angry at Sash.

I agree with all of this except the Natalie White thinking. The theme/format of her season was basically 'There is a Russell Hantz' and she found the perfect way to benefit from that, keeping him in the game and benefiting from all his backstabbing while playing good cop with the people they were voting out together.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Tony's Cagayan win is overrated imo -- his most impressive feat was convincing Woo's dumb rear end to "fight honorably" or some poo poo and bring him to Final instead of Kass. For the rest of the game he mostly just got hella lucky finding idols, including the bullshit post-vote one that effectively made him invincible

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

mp5 posted:

Brian Heidik above like 40% of the others is certainly a choice lol

He’s a horrible person, but honestly he played a pretty strong game IMO.

I thought Tony’s Cagayan game was really sloppy, but his WaW game was impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Leatherhead posted:

I think my list falls apart at the top because it's too hard to variously handicap for things like 'how many times did they play' and 'how tough was the competition', but here's my BOTTOM 10.

Aras Baskauskas
Bob Crowley
Chris Underwood
Ethan Zohn
Ben Driebergen
Jenna Morasca
Mike Gabler
Adam Klein
Tommy Sheehan
Fabio Birza

I have a vague memory of liking Jenna but 0 details about her season. Why is she at the bottom of so many lists so far?